Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's up with that mark off the T in LIBERTY?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not worry. Soon there will be be tens of thousands of slabbed 70's available for immediate shipping.limage
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ILLINI420...congrats and nice pictures!

Can you tell from looking at the edge of the capsule if the coin has the narrow reeding used on 1/10th ounce gold eagles, or the wide reeding that was used on the 2008 1/10th gold Buffalo?

Thanks,

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Weiss
    What's up with that mark off the T in LIBERTY?

Just something stuck to the inside of the plastic capsule, not on the coin.

• Options
    Originally posted by: jwitten
    The mint's shipping makes no sense at all. It should be first ordered, first shipped. If you pay for expedited shipping, it should just be a faster method, not shipping sooner. I have some of the first order numbers I've seen and I am still waiting for shipping conf. I am selling one box to a big dealer, and he said the shipping numbers he has seen have been on the later orders... which is dumb dumb dumb.

Ditto....41165xx....and STILL PROCESSING!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    @ILLINI420...congrats and nice pictures!

Can you tell from looking at the edge of the capsule if the coin has the narrow reeding used on 1/10th ounce gold eagles, or the wide reeding that was used on the 2008 1/10th gold Buffalo?

Thanks,

TD

I really don't know the reeding differences as I don't deal in much bullion. All I have lying around is a 1995-W 1/10 oz Proof Eagle to compare. Will pop that out of the capsule and one of my gold merc dimes is pretty ugly and needs dipped, so I'll pop that one out too and try to get a pic.
  • Options
    Here's a couple of pics of the reeding, best I could do at least. The top coin in each image is a 1995-W Proof 1/10 oz. Eagle, the bottom coin is the 2016-W Gold Mercury Dime:

• Options
    While I had that example of the gold Mercury Dime out of the capsule, figured I'd get a raw shot of it for everyone to check out... this one is the worst of the 10 I got, quite a bit of discoloration on the obverse that looks even worse in hand. Figured I might try to put it in acetone to see if that helps. Anyways, here's the pics:

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pix illini420. It looks much better than the artist rendition being passed off as actual photos. Transparently false.

Agreed, the Mint should re-do their shipping options...including for subscriptions. There are no options for subscriptions. Stupid post only. For regular orders there should be all the options mentioned above: 1st Class, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, UPS/FedX. Nothing should go Stupid Post at all as long as we are paying for it anyway! Can't figure out their thinking process but that puzzle palace at the mint is deliberately confusing.

The softness of the strike is appealing in its own way. Could have been sharp like the original. Could have been UNC or Proof. Could of had FB. But they aren't and don't. As I understand it PCGS grades as struck not as we wish it was struck. They will grade to a business strike standard. illini420's pictures show a very nice coin. MS70's seems well within possibility. Probably more 69's as usual but we may be surprised at the number of 70's.

• Options
    I know that the Mint uses USPS only to Hawaii. Just saw on eBay a Hawaii seller has their coins in hand today as well... likely paid nothing extra for shipping as the box says right on it Priority 3-day. So it was likely mailed out USPS Priority on Friday... and showed up there today on Monday because the USPS clearly does work over the weekend.
  • Options
    Yes. With the new fulfillment company came the end of Stupid Post for standard shipping to Hawaii & Alaska. Priority 3 Day mail now standard for regular mint orders...except subscriptions which remain with no option Stupid Post. I use to expect 21 day shipping for orders in the first few minutes once they were on the way. My gold Dime order is out for delivery. Maybe 3 to 4 hours to hands on.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Holy Cow! 2016 gold commemorative is 1/2 bald! 1943 has a full head of hair. MHO.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: illini420

Here's a couple of pics of the reeding, best I could do at least. The top coin in each image is a 1995-W Proof 1/10 oz. Eagle, the bottom coin is the 2016-W Gold Mercury Dime:

Looks like the reeding matches that of the 1/10th ounce gold eagle. Thanks!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

Holy Cow! 2016 gold commemorative is 1/2 bald! 1943 has a full head of hair. MHO.

mercury wears a phrygian cap, so the hair is only seen around the sides.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: HATTRICK
    Do not worry. Soon there will be be tens of thousands of slabbed 70's available for immediate shipping.limage

Dealer friend already got 2 calls from sellers today.. a fast flip
  • Options
    If you say so. Whatever.
  • Options

Check, got it, thanks. SRSLY. Limageok at the difference.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: hchcoin
    Does anyone else remember the good old days when you just mailed your order and check to the mint and waited forever for your mint and proof sets? My how things have changed image

Yep. Bought the 1968 and 1969 Proof sets that way.

Bought my 1978 Proof sets in April, 1978 and received them in February, 1979.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: steveben

Originally posted by: Onedollarnohollar

my order is still "processing" credit card hit same day order went through at 12:06 ... fifth day after purchase....basic shipping, not next day but I see from others that paying next day didn't help expediting their shipment. guess I'm just being impatient. just anxious to see them in hand.

me 2, but i had next day. i would have expected to have the dimes by now. isn't that what next day shipping is? order thursday, ship friday, receive monday. it may seem impatient, but why pay for the next day?

To be fair, I learned awhile ago that, to the mint and some other places, the shipping timeline doesn't START until after the processing is done and the order moves to that part of the process.

So, in this case, they are processing things a bit whacky (I was one of the first one, going by time of order and order #, to get in and get ordered, but my units didn't ship until late morning today...well, the email at least came to me then...and some have already received their COINS today).

Once the processing is done, and the shipment started, you will most likely have it "next day".

That's my guess on how the USmint does it as I have that from other companies as well....none of them consider the order time as starting the shipment clock......to that effect, the USMint has improved some things but their processing is still slow.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    got mine in hand, 2 boxes of 2 coins (4 total)... to open or not...
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto....41165xx....and STILL PROCESSING!

DItto for me, too. Box of 10 order completed in first minute, #41165xxx is still PROCESSING!!
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Question for the Mega-Sellers who use the Friends and Family method of acquisition; After you cull the 70s and 69s, what do you do with the "ungradable", "unsellables"? If you decided to return them how would you do it (with third person invoice)?

I have often wondered, and just thought I'd ask.

My 2 singles ordered 12:15 and 12:17, left Atlanta, on their way to DC, Will stay boxed untill next Whitman Baltimore show.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1943, and of course all the other 1916's, are clearly much better designs with significantly more detail in every area. If the mint is doing 100th Anniversary coins why in the world would they not have just minted them in silver like in 1916 and included both business strikes and maybe a proof option? Is there any way to get the Mint to listen to real collectors?

However as a collector, more than an investor, I will still buy one in PCGS 70 when the price drops to around $299.

While I collect both classic and modern coins, I have to agree with Dimeman on this one that it is currently way overpriced in the eBay/telemarketer market, and is very poor quality compared to the original design and is another mint fiasco like the Kennedy gold.
  • Options
    Compare for yourself.

• Options
    If that is a Denver mint I would gladly trade you a nice, new, 2016 gold for it. LOL
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the differences epcjimi1 and still think the new one looks very good. Does it have to be a 100% exact rendition to be desireable? Not to me and many others.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

i still don't see a bald spot. perhaps the cap fits tighter.
  • Options
    I agree the new one "looks good", but not great. Yes, it is desirable to many, and I will get one too, but a proof silver 2016 just like the original would be better in my opinion and more worthy of a 100th Anniversary recognition of the designer's and the coins themselves.
  • Options
    Does anyone else see that she seems to be frowning in the 2016 compared to the original? Maybe it has to do with the election year?
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I just got shipping notice for 2/3 orders

order # 04131XXX and #04130XXX

Still waiting on # 04132XXX still in process.

Joe

• Options

While I had that example of the gold Mercury Dime out of the capsule, figured I'd get a raw shot of it for everyone to check out... this one is the worst of the 10 I got, quite a bit of discoloration on the obverse that looks even worse in hand. Figured I might try to put it in acetone to see if that helps. Anyways, here's the pics:

So what is the deal on the horizontal bands? None in the center and four at the bottom and who knows what at top?

And are the diagonal bands double and/or complete?

TD
  • Options

So what is the deal on the horizontal bands? None in the center and four at the bottom and who knows what at top?

And are the diagonal bands double and/or complete?

TD

I thought about that too. The reporting was that the current Mint technology did not allow for a true recreation of the original design such that the fully split bands on the reverse and the full details of the head on the obverse would appear a little flat. But in looking at the coin in hand, the diagonal bands are split. The bottom one is fully split into two complete bands, the upper diagonal is split, but as well, but not fully split all the way. There appear to be three horizontal bands at the top, split slightly, but not complete. At the bottom there are four horizontal bands that are more split than those at the top, but not fully split in my opinion. The central horizontal bands (or band as it may appear) does have a split in the center, though it is very very soft and hard to see. But in looking at it, you can make out the two distinct central horizontal bands, but they are certainly no where close to FB and in looking at the coins I have, none would come close to a traditional FB designation... but could the graders possibly come up with a new definition for FB on this particular coin???? Probably...

In any event, it looks very clear that the designers of this coin could have made a fully split central cross band if they really wanted to. Not buying the original reporting on the issue that it wasn't possible to re-create.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding. I think it's absolutely beautiful.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

In any event, it looks very clear that the designers of this coin could have made a fully split central cross band if they really wanted to. Not buying the original reporting on the issue that it wasn't possible to re-create.

They weren't honest about the artist renditions so I'm not surprised they aren't honest about the bands. It's "lie to me once (how many times??) and how can I trust what you say in the future?"

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Am I getting these tomorrow? Normal process employed regardless of paying expedited fee. Snippet from chat with Lester at the Mint today.

14:04:40 [Lester] I appreciate your patience! Normal processing time is 24 to 48 business hours, weekends are excluded.
    14:05:07 [Visitor] With that in mind, its already been 48 hours. Why no shipping?
    14:05:36 [Lester] I show your order is scheduled to ship on April 25, 2016 and the UPS tracking number is: 1ZA59xxxxxxxxxxx.
    14:05:56 [Visitor] Am I to expect it tomorrow?
    14:07:21 [Lester] Friday was the first business day, and today is the second business day.
    14:07:56 [Visitor] Understand, but order placed by 12:12. Today at 12:12 I expected tracking info
    14:08:27 [Visitor] Am I to expect it tomorrow?
    14:09:17 [Lester] All orders must follow the normal process regardless of method of shipping.
    14:10:32 [Visitor] Am I to expect it tomorrow?
    14:12:27 [Lester] I can't guarantee what time the order will be delivered but you must allow it to ship first.
    14:13:03 [Visitor] Can you tell me what day I can expect it?
    14:14:50 [Lester] I would say it will be delivered tomorrow but until it ships I can't give specifics.
    14:23:25 [Visitor] Thanks appreciate your time!
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Opened one box of 2,

One is missing "w" mint mark
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    That is awesome
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 2ltdjorn
    Opened one box of 2,

Wow, that's the first reported...post photos!!!!!
  • Options
    Huge score for sure...you suck!!
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opened one box of 2,

Pictures or it didn't happen! image

If you don't mind, what time/order number did you have?
  • Options
    Please someone else open their sets and report back on any finds of additional "no W" examples to see if this is going to be a monster or an innovative way to get sealed set prices up image
  • Options
    That's our mint for you , taking the collectors who know the design for granted . They easily could have put full Split bands in if they had an inclination to . But why , they knew it would sell out without them . I for one won't be buying one and if the SLQ isn't true to the original design I won't buy that one , and that's the one I really wanted .
    Instant Karmas Gonna Get Ya , John Lennon
  • Options
    Interestingly enough there is a mock up photo used in ebay online sales without the W...anybody know where that stock photo came from...I haven't been paying any attention to these.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opened one box of 2,

WOW!! Pics please.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember there were "reports of another gold... the baseball I think?.... that was missing a mint mark. Turned out to be hogwash. Pics or it didn't happen.... image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Golden mushiness....Meh!
  • Options
    Opened one box of 2,

Not really, just kidding

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opened one box of 2,

Being an error guy I bet they decided to throw you a bone! I bet you got a 5 figure piece there mon ami. image

• Options
    If it looks like this you have a winner. Non-w
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: younique
    If it looks like this you have a winner. Non-w

You do know that is just a rough mock up, not a real one, correct? Not sure if you are just being sarcastic or what.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file