Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they still send out a tote bag when they hit you for the S&H?

Immediately and in a box of it's own?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64
    Do they still send out a tote bag when they hit you for the S&H?
    Immediately and in a box of it's own?

I wish they did.

(No, I really wish they did. Those bags are great!)
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly I was randomized to the last shipped group.
    Perhaps one of the TPGs will offer a "Last Struck" label for my coins...
    Processing, processing...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: SONOMOSCA
    For comparison: cheapy shipping for both to AZ.

Order #1 at 12:08 (USM041211XX) Qty 2 Picked up 4/22 departed 4/25 Scheduled 4/28 UPS Ground.

Order #2 at 12:13 (USM041304XX) Qty 1 Picked up 4/25 departed 4/26 Scheduled 4/30 Fedex Smartpost.

What I don't get is why my order of 1 needed a box over twice the size of my order of 2?image

My purchases above were on VISA.

Purchased the extra 2 to sell and knock down some of the cost of the one I'm keeping.
    Didn't want to purchase 10, just more of a headache for me. Either gonna list them on
    EBay since I got a promotion to sell ten items and only pay a flat FV fee of $10 each, or put
    them on the BST.

That's a fantastic promo. Have never heard of that one before...
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a good promo for sure! I could have really used it earlier in the week.

PCGS SP70's available at $350 now plus $7 shipping at dealers in So. Cal by the PCGS office.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my order this afternoon.

Here's An Unboxing video from earlier today, and some stills of what I found inside:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Weiss!

Anybody have the outside dimensions of 10 pc sealed box?
  • Options
    approximately 13x10x6 and a bit under 6 pounds
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

Thanks Goldminers. image

For kicks and giggles I just called the Mint and customer service told me it could be "up to two weeks" (from the order date) before all orders are shipped. That would put some orders out to 05/05/2016 before shipping!

Cinco de Mayo!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the packaging, the individual boxes for these are huge compared to the coin. I'd guess they're going to use the exact same boxes for the quarter and the half released later in the year. The OGP is so big that it really doesn't even fit in a small flat rate Priority box... just a bit too thick, but you can get it in there if you force it, but then there's no room for cushioning. You can only fit 6 of them in the rectangular medium flat rate Priority box. A bit much for a coin that's a hair smaller than a dime image
  • Options
    Sold my box of ten, made just enough after FeeBay to buy one in stock SP70 PCGS FS 100th Mercury gold coin for my Modern Gold Collection and saving me the pain of past submittal experiences.

So why didn't I send them in to be graded?

I had an early order and late delivery on the Kennedy golds. Ordered 5 of them, sent them in for grading and all 5 came back 69's. By then selling price for 69's was less than I paid for them after eBay, grading, and shipping fees, so I still have them.

My luck getting modern 70's from PCGS is averaging about one out of ten coins, even though the pops seem to indicate it should be about one in 2 or 3. So that is why as I would probably have just gotten 10-69's and by the time they came back from grading to sell, I would lose money again.

Hope all of you in processing get shipped to real soon and may the odds be in your favor!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

Thanks Goldminers. image

For kicks and giggles I just called the Mint and customer service told me it could be "up to two weeks" (from the order date) before all orders are shipped. That would put some orders out to 05/05/2016 before shipping!

Cinco de Mayo!

FYI,

I double boxed the one I sold and it was 16x12x9 and 9 pounds when I shipped it.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It is hard to believe they did such a poor job at capturing the detail on the dime. With gold being a soft metal they should have been able to show every tiny little detail and they chose to make it bland. What a shame....

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received my next day air tracking yesterday morning. Should have been here today but tracking does not even show the package in the system yet.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Originally posted by: fcloud
    It is hard to believe they did such a poor job at capturing the detail on the dime. With gold being a soft metal they should have been able to show every tiny little detail and they chose to make it bland. What a shame....

I agree, a main part of the point of a 100th Anniversary in my opinion is to give credit to the designer and engraver/s. The quality of their work 100 years ago compared to now is obviously superior in every way. They would be very disappointed in what we see today.

For the huge markup above spot gold these sold for, the Mint could have paid a real engraver more than minimum wage and maybe these would have looked more like the originals.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Order 4126xxx shipped 4/26, yesterday overnite. Received Mint email stating so. Just contacted UPS who states label created no package received for shipment yesterday. Hmmm where to start looking....
  • Options
    Originally posted by: younique
    Order 4126xxx shipped 4/26, yesterday overnite. Received Mint email stating so. Just contacted UPS who states label created no package received for shipment yesterday. Hmmm where to start looking....

That is really a nightmare. I had one of these type of things once, and had given up, and about a week later it actually showed up.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Mine are the same way.....printed but no shipped. I am thinking monday they should be in hand...
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Either gonna list them on
    EBay since I got a promotion to sell ten items and only pay a flat FV fee of $10 each, or put
    them on the BST.

Check the end date on that FVF promotion. Mine ends today.

Mine ends today as well. Still thinking about it, never really cared for selling precious metals on Ebay with all the horror stories I've read here on the boards.
    BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options

Does your tracking number show activity (like an origin scan) on the UPS website? The mint saying shipped just means a label was created and nothing more.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That packaging is "all hat" for that tiny coin.

Would make sense if they used the same packaging for the future releases, as others have mentioned.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

• Options
    Originally posted by: Raufus
    For comparison: cheapy shipping for both to AZ.

Order #1 at 12:08 (USM041211XX) Qty 2 Picked up 4/22 departed 4/25 Scheduled 4/28 UPS Ground.

Order #2 at 12:13 (USM041304XX) Qty 1 Picked up 4/25 departed 4/26 Scheduled 4/30 Fedex Smartpost.

What I don't get is why my order of 1 needed a box over twice the size of my order of 2?image

My purchases above were on VISA.

Purchased the extra 2 to sell and knock down some of the cost of the one I'm keeping.
    Didn't want to purchase 10, just more of a headache for me. Either gonna list them on
    them on the BST.

That's a fantastic promo. Have never heard of that one before...

It was actually a new account opened by my son, that will be closed since he's to young! image

I suppose it's Ebay's way of promoting selling for newer accounts or accounts that don't sell regularly?
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing your one-handed images and video of the coin, Weiss!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly I was randomized to the last shipped group.
    Perhaps one of the TPGs will offer a "Last Struck" label for my coins...
    Processing, processing...

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the same thing. Label created 8:00 pm 4/26. Coin scanned 8:04 on 4/27 and should be here by 10:30 AM tomorrow.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    The very first coin struck goes to the back of the shelf in Memphis. Then the next 124,999 coins are stacked in front of it. You might even get the very first coin ever struck if it takes long enough. Once they get the orders, the most recent (meaning the last) orders will be randomly processed first to confuse even foreign spies.
  • Options
    GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    FYI, my CC ping miss and then CHARGE. FYI. No free mercs for me!
  • Options
    FYI got my box of 10 and it doesn't appear that it would fit in a flat rate box and it's fairly heavy. Postage cost could be a surprise.
  • Options
    AberlightAberlight Posts: 384 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: IwasAgentjim007
    FYI got my box of 10 and it doesn't appear that it would fit in a flat rate box and it's fairly heavy. Postage cost could be a surprise.

Shipped 10 sets from AR to CA. $27 for 3 day delivery plus insurance.
  • Options
    That wasn't flat rate? Better than I expected to hear but those are fairly close zones.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sat this one out. I am not impressed with how this design translated to the gold commemorative coin, and one would have thought it would have been pretty easy.
    Even the date looks like amateurish.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DCW
    Sat this one out. I am not impressed with how this design translated to the gold commemorative coin, and one would have thought it would have been pretty easy.
    Even the date looks like amateurish.

The 125,000 mintage was my turnoff .. dooms the Merc to drift down Like the Kennedy , others to near melt.. listings now up to 575 on the Bay ..+100 since Monday.. although sales are good.. Mint could have this a special coin

• Options
    PCGS CoinFacts populations now shows 100- 70's and 19- 69's graded. High percentage of 70's in first batch.
  • Options
    I got mine today. It's nice but not that nice. These should have been made in proof instead of BU, IMO.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS CoinFacts populations now shows 100- 70's and 19- 69's graded. High percentage of 70's in first batch.

Ability to pre-screen and still get FS will do that

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear the grade percentage (percentage that grade 70) will be very high. It should mean some great buys while excess is on the market.”

FROM THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE

2016 GOLD DIME
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I hear the grade percentage (percentage that grade 70) will be very high. It should mean some great buys while excess is on the market.”

@ 125K mintage, the excess on the market is going to take a while to be absorbed. MHO
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Here's my video box break for the couple sets I ordered. I would say by the end of the video, I wasn't overly "wowwed" than what I first expected. But in any event, it's a nice issue but it still leaves me wanting more out of the centennial (don't ask me what, I'm not sure).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIJN46zV7j8
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists posted a pic of the 2016 SLQ being shown at the CSNS.

(Image resized and enhanced.)

Edit to add: No release details were announced.
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Nothing kills a coin's flavor than by emblazoning "AU 24K, 1/10 oz." on the obverse like they did.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kookoox10
    Nothing kills a coin's flavor than by emblazoning "AU 24K, 1/10 oz." on the obverse like they did.

More for me then image
  • Options
    Just came across this on Ebay

Good, bad or nothing big? I have no idea, so I'm curious on your thoughts.

Thanks for fixing the link derby! I think I have it now.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just came across this on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERROR-2016-W-MERCURY-DIME-CENTENNIAL-9999-24k-GOLD-FINNED-REEDING-STRIKE-ERROR-/291750597827?hash=item43edb0d4c3:g:TwIAAOSwYmZXIkR~

linky

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists posted a pic of the 2016 SLQ being shown at the CSNS.

(Image resized and enhanced.)

Edit to add: No release details were announced.

Excellent!! Thanks for posting. Looking forward to it.

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, no chainmaille image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Just came across this on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERROR-2016-W-MERCURY-DIME-CENTENNIAL-9999-24k-GOLD-FINNED-REEDING-STRIKE-ERROR-/291750597827?hash=item43edb0d4c3:g:TwIAAOSwYmZXIkR~

linky

I am not too impressed by the finny error. It leads me to believe the mint is letting the maintenance slip and some parts are getting loose where the different reeding dies are changed causing a bit of chatter.
  • Options
    It seems that none of the big dealers are buying these sealed. Perhaps an ominous sign of things to come for this issue?? I am looking forward to owning one or two but I'm undecided what to do with the other 8... I wonder how many of these will be sent back.
  • Options
    It seems that none of the big dealers are buying these sealed. Perhaps an ominous sign of things to come for this issue?? I am looking forward to owning one or two but I'm undecided what to do with the other 8... I wonder how many of these will be sent back.

So far it would still be worth picking out your best two to keep and sell the others. A bit more work than just returning them to the mint, but you should be able to make a couple hundred.
  • Options

So far it would still be worth picking out your best two to keep and sell the others. A bit more work than just returning them to the mint, but you should be able to make a couple hundred.

That's what I'm thinking. I had contemplated grading them all but it's looking like that's not worth it.

Perhaps I can sell them all and yield enough to buy one 70 keeper.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file