Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    For comparison: cheapy shipping for both to AZ.

Order #1 at 12:08 (USM041211XX) Qty 2 Picked up 4/22 departed 4/25 Scheduled 4/28 UPS Ground.

Order #2 at 12:13 (USM041304XX) Qty 1 Picked up 4/25 departed 4/26 Scheduled 4/30 Fedex Smartpost.

What I don't get is why my order of 1 needed a box over twice the size of my order of 2?image
    BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SONOMOSCA

Order #1 at 12:08 (USM041211XX) Qty 2 Picked up 4/22 departed 4/25 Scheduled 4/28 UPS Ground.

Order #2 at 12:13 (USM041304XX) Qty 1 Picked up 4/25 departed 4/26 Scheduled 4/30 Fedex Smartpost.

What I don't get is why my order of 1 needed a box over twice the size of my order of 2?image

As always, not shipped in order of order placement time. As mentioned, my 12:11 order in processing..
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Mint policy,

First strikes ship last

Last orders ship first.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jwitten
    Originally posted by: Raufus
    One of my friends who got shut out because he was a work and couldn't break away right at noon asked: "Why don't they release these at say 8 pm Eastern so that everyone can have a shot at them?" Great question. I've never understood why they release items at noon.

And everyone on the west coast is stuck in a traffic jam trying to get home?? There will not be one perfect time. Most people can spare a few minutes. If not, be prepared and have a family or friend do it for you.

Noon really sucks. Like many it's very difficult for me to be available to fight the Mint site for 20 min.

Conventional wisdom on eBay is to end auctions at 8 or 9 PM Eastern. Not too late for East coast and West coast folks generally finished at work. If the job is out at five could stay to order.

Just as its foolish to end an eBay auction at noon it's not easy for many to order at work.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raufus

One of my friends who got shut out because he was a work and couldn't break away right at noon asked: "Why don't they release these at say 8 pm Eastern so that everyone can have a shot at them?" Great question. I've never understood why they release items at noon.

There is no perfect time.

8pm eastern is 5pm pacific. Many people are leaving work/stuck in traffic/etc.

By that token, why not 10pm pacific? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    There is no perfect time for everyone, that is why I keep pushing for lower order limits, so that even if you can't order the first day, hour, or minute, there is a good chance to get a coin direct without paying in the aftermarket.

Also the mint needs to get a real programmer to manage their orders and payments properly and make sure orders are shipped in the order received and paid for.
  • Options
    Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Another frustrated longtime US Mint customer. Order USM04117XXX placed at 12:06. Order Status: PROCESSING
  • Options
    GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    My CC pending also disappeared around the same time as shipping. Gimme them free mercs!
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

There is no perfect time for everyone, that is why I keep pushing for lower order limits, so that even if you can't order the first day, hour, or minute, there is a good chance to get a coin direct without paying in the aftermarket.

Also the mint needs to get a real programmer to manage their orders and payments properly and make sure orders are shipped in the order received and paid for.

The danger of lower HH limits is increased minion buying and therefore increased server load at the mint catalog resulting in more slowdown and crashes. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Options
    Yes I agreed with you that is a temporary risk, but my solution is to fix the computer servers, and not just keep allowing this crazy flip-flopping and unfair mania that this hobby has turned into.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Yep, same for me on two orders above below number not shipped, ping gone.

All orders below 4132*** have shipped.

notices came in just a few minutes ago, check your emails.

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The mint prefers to make the coins available to those that aren't working. It's the new economy.image
  • Options
    engmticengmtic Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: goldbuffalo

mine are 4120xxx and 4129xx and have not shipped...still the accursed "processing" status mocking me
  • Options
    Mine shipped...UPS ground.

Because I am on the west coast, it will take a solid week to get to me (from Monday to Monday). Some haven't shipped yet and they will get theirs before me with the same, or even slower, shipping.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: engmtic

mine are 4120xxx and 4129xx and have not shipped...still the accursed "processing" status mocking me

Same here for order #4120XXX
  • Options
    I have thought a lot about this problem. I will toss out an idea that I am sure some will not like, but maybe some will.

What if, for every new coin the Mint has, they announce a 24 hour "first day" window for all purchasers with a one coin limit per household. No rush of this second or that for ordering, all are the treated the same in the 24 hours. The minimum mintage should be the same as the number of orders in the first 24 hours. That way everyone has an equal chance to own the coin at the same price.

Then after that allow larger household limits to go into effect. This would allow all real collectors and the public enthusiasts who just want a nice coin from the Mint at the lowest price. After that it can be a free for all like now, where many have been burned with scenarios of ordering first and receiving last.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mdkuom
    Originally posted by: engmtic

Same here for order #4120XXX

The more the delay.... more likely to hit price declines ..not good

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got several emails for shipping notifications! 2 out of 4 orders. I used 2 credit cards overall, which in the past has worked for multiple addresses. I wonder if for this order, they are only allowing 10 sets per card instead of per address? Here's hoping I get all my orders!
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jwitten

Just got several emails for shipping notifications!

You dirty dog! image

I have thought a lot about this problem. I will toss out an idea that I am sure some will not like, but maybe some will.

What if, for every new coin the Mint has, they announce a 24 hour "first day" window for all purchasers with a one coin limit per household. No rush of this second or that for ordering, all are the treated the same in the 24 hours. The minimum mintage should be the same as the number of orders in the first 24 hours. That way everyone has an equal chance to own the coin at the same price.

Then after that allow larger household limits to go into effect. This would allow all real collectors and the public enthusiasts who just want a nice coin from the Mint at the lowest price. After that it can be a free for all like now, where many have been burned with scenarios of ordering first and receiving last.

There's only one problem with your plan. It involves logical thinking so throw that one out the door! image

• Options

Works on the receiving end, but the reality is that they have too many offerings and are under the gun to deliver. They can't do it the way you suggest as they need to have a tighter understanding of the timeline of "delivery" and sales. Stretching it out the way you suggest puts them in a position of not being able to plan as efficiently (not saying they are efficient but that it would be even worse)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the mint should start charging sales tax. Give us something new to complain about.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb

Maybe the mint should start charging sales tax. Give us something new to complain about.

Hey derryb, what everyone wants is the mint come up with a high quality coin that available for everyone to order, ship out to everyone at same time, and value not depreciation over time. Hihihihi
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    Finally received my shipping notification about 40 minutes ago.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4120XXX shipped yesterday and are to be delivered tomorrow.

What if it's not what time you completed your order, but how quickly you put them in your cart (or bag?). Because I had mine in the bag within about 20 seconds of the product going live. But it took several tries and more than a few minutes to finally get my card to process--in part because I tried to change my shipping address.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Not true. I have a 412 which has not shipped and no problem with cc. Two other orders shipped, one in hand.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take ten at issue price and go long on gold. Maybe trade ten gold dimes, for 3 BULLION one ounce gold coins (AGEs) , pretty soon. Time will tell. I won't prognosticate, though.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that the very first orders of 10 in an order are being shipped out. They probably had prepackaged a certain % in lots of 1,2,3...10. The fact that the product sold out in roughly 17k orders (equals nearly 7.5 coins per order) probably threw the mint a curveball that they werent prepared for. No idea what they estimated, but lets say it was 30% of all orders was orders of 10. If those 30% were ordered in the first minute or two, those were most likely the packages shipped. The rest of us wait for them to arrange the packages in boxes of 10. The orders less than 10 have nearly all been shipped. Just my WAG but the timeline and order history makes sense. I have 4 orders of 10 and 2 orders of 2. My very first order (which i havent seen someone have a lower order on the boards) has been shipped. My other 3 orders of 10 have yet to be shipped but CC has been pinged. My 2 orders of 2, which were ordered in the last 3-5 minutes of being available have been shipped.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Falk25Falk25 Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Not true. My order of 2 placed at 12:06, Order USM04117XXX is still processing.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe there's any way to determine how and why orders are being processed and shipped as they are. There appears to be absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. I got both my orders today for an order placed at about 12:10~one by UPS and one by Fed Ex Smartpost.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe there's any way to determine how and why orders are being processed and shipped as they are. There appears to be absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. I got both my orders today for an order placed at about 12:10~one by UPS and one by Fed Ex Smartpost.

This.

It is as it has always been and always will be, from here to eternity. FIFO is a dream. It flat out does not occur. My order of 10, completed in the first 45 seconds, 41165xxx was in Processing until Monday night. My friend's order of 2, completed at 12:12, 41218xxx shipped Friday morning.

And, my account has had no changes in recent history, same CC, same shipping address, etc.

So yes, you can speculate all you want, but the simple fact is that the mint marches to its own arbitrary drummer...
  • Options
    differences in ship time might be explained by differences in credit card charge approval time. What credit card are the early shipped using?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    differences in ship time might be explained by differences in credit card charge approval time.

Could be.

When my credit card was hit up with some fraudulent charges and had to re-register the CC number with the mint, the next order I had (the Twain gold?) got didn't get a ship number until some 24 hours or more after other early orders were gone. And the amount of product sold (as well as the customer base) was minuscule compared with this one. I was only seriously delayed that one time.

Both dime orders I had were on different accounts with separate, but well established credit cards with the mint. Both are with national, too-big-to-fail banks.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If just a few of the big guys suddenly had thousands of graded coins and none had been shipped to other customers it would be too obvious as to what is happening. A random bunch of shipments to help cover the ways of distribution. It is what it is and always will be. FIFO is a pipe dream and will not work in this inviornment.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    differences in ship time might be explained by differences in credit card charge approval time.

Could be.

When my credit card was hit up with some fraudulent charges and had to re-register the CC number with the mint, the next order I had (the Twain gold?) got didn't get a ship number until some 24 hours or more after other early orders were gone. And the amount of product sold (as well as the customer base) was minuscule compared with this one. I was only seriously delayed that one time.

Both dime orders I had were on different accounts with separate, but well established credit cards with the mint. Both are with national, too-big-to-fail banks.

I was referring to the different type of cards (visa, discover, AmEx, ie.). There may different lag times at the CC to approve a pending charge.

What type card are the early shippers using?

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    differences in ship time might be explained by differences in credit card charge approval time. What credit card are the early shipped using?

No. I called the mint and I called my CC company. The CC company said it was the mint holding up the charge. The mint said they were still processing.

FWIW - my CC is a Mastercard from a major bank and I had over $38K of available credit at the time of ordering.

Stop trying to rationalize the mint's behavior. There is no pattern and it is a waste of time. The mint processes orders when they get to them. Always have, always will. It doesn't matter what shipping option you choose, what card you use, where you live, what your order number is, when you ordered, the alignment of the planets, how many times you've been married, if you've had a sex change and which bathroom you use, whether or not you have hair, when your last shower was, how many dogs you have, or what color the critter on Donald Trump's head is. It is random, pure and simple.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mbogoman

No. I called the mint and I called my CC company. The CC company said it was the mint holding up the charge. The mint said they were still processing.

FWIW - my CC is a Mastercard from a major bank and I had over $38K of available credit at the time of ordering.

Stop trying to rationalize the mint's behavior. There is no pattern and it is a waste of time. The mint processes orders when they get to them. Always have, always will. It doesn't matter what shipping option you choose, what card you use, where you live, what your order number is, when you ordered, the alignment of the planets, how many times you've been married, if you've had a sex change and which bathroom you use, whether or not you have hair, when your last shower was, how many dogs you have, or what color the critter on Donald Trump's head is. It is random, pure and simple.

I'm trying to point out that different CC may have different pending timeframes regardless of the available credit. We might just learn that one type card is better for quicker mint shipping.

One card might process quicker than another. The delay may well be at the CC end of the transaction. Still waiting to hear from those that got quicker shipment on what type card they used.

I have you down for Mastercard, delayed shipping. Anyone else?

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Chase Visa one order put in cart/bag within 3 seconds, but did not complete order till 12:04 due to having to re-login and confirm what shipping address and security code. It shipped Friday and received Monday morning with "next day" overnight UPS shipping.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mbogoman

I agree it's a crap shoot but I've never waited "In Processing" this long. Same cc and address as previous orders, 10 pieces ordered, 12:12et order with 10 pieces in "My Bag" at 12:01et. Oh well, I guess they'll be here for Mother's Day. imageisgust;

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    FWIW- I put in two orders with the same Discover card, one for one Mercury and a Silver Proof Set and a bag of S mint quarters (for me), and then an order of the other nine Mercury's (to flip).

The "custom" order with one Mercury and the other two items went out Smart Post on Friday and is being delivered today. The order of Nine is supposed to go out UPS someday, I guess. It's been "Processing" since Thursday.....

I see no rhyme or reason to the distribution process, it just seems like luck of the draw.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Thinking on it, all orders on my amex cards have shipped. Visa orders havent.

Some of you need to lighten up. Who gives a sh*t if people want to speculate or not on what is going on. Its all in fun. If you dont like it, dont read it.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OperationButter

Thinking on it, all orders on my amex cards have shipped. Visa orders havent.

Some of you need to lighten up. Who gives a sh*t if people want to speculate or not on what is going on. Its all in fun. If you dont like it, dont read it.

Forums are for Information, conversation and entertainment !!!!!!image

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    engmticengmtic Posts: 107 ✭✭
    processing...and some more processing. I expect a really well processed coin when it finally comes. Perhaps a special label to acknowledge that?
  • Options
    Am Ex Shipped Friday just got here 5 min ago. Only 1 in my order though! 4124***
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    random order of CC processing after the ping verification / CC hit for a buck

random order of shipping after CC confirmation for funds

queue to queue.
  • Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    I bought 9 on my first order, 4127***, and 1 on my second, 4130***. I chose next day shipping for the 9 and regular for the 1. The 1 shipped on Monday and the 9 shipped yesterday. I got them today. The box was sealed with clear packing tape that looked horrible. I don't see how you could have kept this box and told anyone it was sealed from the mint. No glue on the flaps like normal and the tape was all wrinkled and looked horrible. I don't think anyone will get a PL coin as they almost look like the vapor blasted ATB coins. The finish is very grainy.

The 9 were on a MasterCard and the 1 on a Visa debit card.
  • Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

My purchases above were on VISA.

Purchased the extra 2 to sell and knock down some of the cost of the one I'm keeping.
    Didn't want to purchase 10, just more of a headache for me. Either gonna list them on
    EBay since I got a promotion to sell ten items and only pay a flat FV fee of $10 each, or put
    them on the BST.
    BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Well, my box of 9 now shows shipped. Order 41228XX.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I have one in my hand right now. It is a pretty little thing.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    One of my orders finally shows shipped after just 6+ days of processing! Woo Hoo Baby! Order number 041268xx is on the way.

• Options
    Either gonna list them on
    EBay since I got a promotion to sell ten items and only pay a flat FV fee of $10 each, or put
    them on the BST.

Check the end date on that FVF promotion. Mine ends today.

- Nick Giambruno

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file