Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine has a W

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jwitten
    Originally posted by: younique
    If it looks like this you have a winner. Non-w

You do know that is just a rough mock up, not a real one, correct? Not sure if you are just being sarcastic or what.

Yes, of course, however a little humor for Monday.....

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, a nice pic is in order.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rzage
    That's our mint for you , taking the collectors who know the design for granted . They easily could have put full Split bands in if they had an inclination to.

Maybe they used the 1945 as a model. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed yet not surprised that the design looks like someone was given a photo of a real dime to examine and memorize for an hour and then had to recreate it. The Chinese can get the design perfect, yet our state of the art mint cannot? Daniel Carr did a much much better job than the mint. I'm glad I opted to buy his tribute to these classics struck in silver over buying a poor government facsimile struck in gold.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: illini420

Originally posted by: CaptHenway

So what is the deal on the horizontal bands? None in the center and four at the bottom and who knows what at top?

And are the diagonal bands double and/or complete?

TD

I thought about that too. The reporting was that the current Mint technology did not allow for a true recreation of the original design such that the fully split bands on the reverse and the full details of the head on the obverse would appear a little flat. But in looking at the coin in hand, the diagonal bands are split. The bottom one is fully split into two complete bands, the upper diagonal is split, but as well, but not fully split all the way. There appear to be three horizontal bands at the top, split slightly, but not complete. At the bottom there are four horizontal bands that are more split than those at the top, but not fully split in my opinion. The central horizontal bands (or band as it may appear) does have a split in the center, though it is very very soft and hard to see. But in looking at it, you can make out the two distinct central horizontal bands, but they are certainly no where close to FB and in looking at the coins I have, none would come close to a traditional FB designation... but could the graders possibly come up with a new definition for FB on this particular coin???? Probably...

In any event, it looks very clear that the designers of this coin could have made a fully split central cross band if they really wanted to. Not buying the original reporting on the issue that it wasn't possible to re-create.

Thanks for checking. I can't believe they went to all this trouble and then did not finish the design.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    2ltdjorn
    Collector

Opened one box of 2,

One is missing "w" mint mark

Need to show a pic . If there are "missing W's" out there it could be another 2008W reverse of 2007 silver eagle all over again. Wouldn't that be special...
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    If I knew they were going to ship ones without the MM, I would have bought some image
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    If I knew they were going to ship ones without the MM, I would have bought some image

You didn't get the email from the Mint? They announced that one in every ten would have a missing mint mark. Why do you think they sold out so fast? image
  • Options
    Isn't the mint mark part of the coin's design, rather than being punched into the die?

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭
    April fools 'round here!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I should have mine tomorrow.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting a little ridiculous on shipping here. Two 12:12et confirmed orders last Thursday and not a peep on shipping 5 days later.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Same. Mint claims due to internal reviews on household limits.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where the PCGS population report is on these coins? It seems like some should be graded by now.

I notice eBay is now showing completed sales of individual coins for as low as $237, after the 10% eBay fee that is $213.30, if PayPal that is another 3% hit so $206.90, then if the seller is paying for shipping it seems to me these are basically breakeven now considering the $205 price to start. I expect quite a few Mint cancellations will occur, especially for those who did not get shipping notices yet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

Does anyone know where the PCGS population report is on these coins? It seems like some should be graded by now.

I notice eBay is now showing completed sales of individual coins for as low as $237, after the 10% eBay fee that is $213.30, if PayPal that is another 3% hit so $206.90, then if the seller is paying for shipping it seems to me these are basically breakeven now considering the $205 price to start. I expect quite a few Mint cancellations will occur, especially for those who did not get shipping notices yet.

Those outliers under $240 were pre-sales. None are under $270 since the sell-out.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

$237? That must have been at outlier or pre-sale. All of the coins I'm seeing are now selling on ebay in the $290-$300 range.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15

$237? That must have been at outlier or pre-sale. All of the coins I'm seeing are now selling on ebay in the $290-$300 range.

My 12:11 order is still "in process" w no shipping notice. UGH!

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same, all mine say processing
  • Options
    Yes, VanHalen corrected my post above, and they were presales at $237. However the last auction at 6AM today went for $271 and unfortunately I still think there is a down trend getting started.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Expect the population reports to be slower than a snail with updates because nothing slows the rush to submit like populations in the thousands. Possibly in the tens of thousands when all TPG's and labels are added together.

When it comes to 70's the time to sell is now as there will be far more sellers than buyers at the current prices when the flood hits.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

Yes, VanHalen corrected my post above, and they were presales at $237. However the last auction at 6AM today went for $271 and unfortunately I still think there is a down trend getting started.

I don't think so at all. The $271 sale you sight had $10 shipping and most auctions completed today are still ~$290. There may well be a downtrend in the future but it';s not there now (or probable this week either). Half of the mintage is in strong hands if you know what I mean. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

I don't think so at all. The $271 sale you sight had $10 shipping and most auctions completed today are still ~$290. There may well be a downtrend in the future but it';s not there now (or probable this week either). Half of the mintage is in strong hands if you know what I mean. image

Not sure where the strong hands are, but it seems to me that half the mintage is still sitting on shelves in Memphis waiting to be shipped.image
  • Options

I think your time line for grading and posting a population report is a little accelerated.

On sale last Thursday at noon. First shipping on Friday. First in hand yesterday, Monday. Don't expect in had for ebay sellers to fulfill pre-sales for a minimum 10 days even with expedited service. Big dealers with direct shipping from the mint to PCGS included, if that even exists, which has been questioned in the past.

You have to allow shipping to PCGS, processing and grading then shipping back to the owner. The Population Report isn't instantaneous either. In the past it has shown first results maybe ten days or two weeks after first receipt by PCGS. Then it is updated once or twice a week at best.

I tried to find the coin number on the Population Report page but couldn't so I called Customer Service. She said they have not assigned a number yet.

Give it some time. I'm pretty sure the Population Report will be posted here as soon as it is noticed that it has posted.

• Options
    PCGS Coins Facts for Mercury dime gold:

Lots of label options listed.

Cheers!
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    So, while we're waiting... how well would these fare as cuff links? Or would 24k gold be too soft?
  • Options

PCGS Coins Facts for Mercury dime gold:

Lots of label options listed.

Cheers!

Ah, right you are at Coin Facts. I didn't think to look there. Thanks for the tip. Nothing found for those numbers, as expected, under Population Report though. Like I said, I don't anticipate a Population Report for at least ten days.

• Options
    Just got sealed box of two coins this afternoon via UPS~have another box scheduled to arrive tomorrow via Fed Ex smart post.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Just got sealed box of two coins this afternoon via UPS~have another box scheduled to arrive tomorrow via Fed Ex smart post.

Do you know what time you got your order in?

Did you pay for Express shipping?

Thanks
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Raufus

Thanks

I placed my orders within first 15 minutes. Regular shipping.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

Those outliers under $240 were pre-sales. None are under $270 since the sell-out.

500 listing now on Ebay .. looks like around $270 + shipping ....or $283 + Free ship.. when coins are shipped in larger numbers .. price going to drop ?...... A lot will going back to Mint?
    The flippers market starved for a big hit....not this one image
  • Options
    I might try to pick one up during the next eBay Bucks promotion.

• Options
    engmticengmtic Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Saw on another forum that the mint is reviewing household limits on all orders.

If true, that would explain the extreme delay this time vs the usual 1/2 day delay.

Anyone have info when they will wrap up their review?
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both my boxes of two just arrived. Opened one via a coin flip, the other is still sealed.

Packaging is pretty nice. Better than that fake velour that shed black threads like a dog in summer. The coin panel *might* be able to hold all three coins, should they decide to go that route. DO YOU HEAR ME US MINT? image

They look pretty good in hand. They'd probably look a lot better twenty years ago when my eyesight was much better.

Both have mint marks, and both have that almost split band look. Kinda mushy, but okay. Not even close to proof-like, these are definitely finished as a business-strike.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: engmtic

If true, that would explain the extreme delay this time vs the usual 1/2 day delay.

I am of the understanding the mint's review will be completed immediately following the First Strike/Early Release expiration.

• Options
    " I am of the understanding the mint's review will be completed immediately following the First Strike/Early Release expiration." LOL

Considering how fast these sold, it would not surprise me that many "households" were created out of thin air that were given offers of $100 or more to sell their orders to some bigger players. It makes sense that the Mint needs to check this out some and will probably cancel some orders.

Also, this shipping delay will cause some people to get frustrated and cancel their orders in a week or two, if the flipping margins start to fall much more. Of course, the early graded 70's will sell for a nice profit in pre-sales, but overall I think there are way too many of these coins being sold on eBay alone, and there is a race to sell before the price drops.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " I am of the understanding the mint's review will be completed immediately following the First Strike/Early Release expiration." LOL

Considering how fast these sold, it would not surprise me that many "households" were created out of thin air that were given offers of $100 or more to sell their orders to some bigger players. It makes sense that the Mint needs to check this out some and will probably cancel some orders.

They cross check for duplicate shipping addresses and duplicate billing addresses. There's not a lot more they can do than that.

No one has suggested that the Mint completely blew through their finished inventory and are busily putting sets together to ship out.

Typically, they only assembled around 30K to 50K sets which are sold first, then the issue goes to backorder. Considering the dime sold for the first twenty minutes, then put on backorder for the last twenty minutes of the sale, might suggest the mint sold more orders than finished sets before they put the product on backorder, unless they had 70 to 80K sets finished and ready to go...
  • Options

Which forum is it? Link?

• Options
    This is a direct copy from the Mint website:

"United States Mint Opens Sales for 2016 Mercury Dime Centennial Gold Coin on April 21

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint (Mint) will accept orders for the 2016 Mercury Dime Centennial Gold Coin (product code 16XB) starting on April 21 at noon Eastern Time (ET). The 2016 Mercury Dime Centennial Gold Coin has a mintage limit of 125,000 coins and an initial household order limit of 10. The Mint will continue to monitor sales and adjust the household order limit as appropriate."

It is my opinion, that the Mint did not adjust the household limit as appropriate. Time will tell, but I bet the next coin in the Centennial series will have lower household limits; at least in the beginning. The Mint is supposed to allow more diverse public participation, and clearly to me it is not doing a good job meeting that criteria when all the coins supposedly sell out in less than an hour.
  • Options

Thanks

I placed my orders within first 15 minutes. Regular shipping.

Incredible. I placed mine at 12:11, regular shipping. Still in process with no shipping info. Thanks for the info!

• Options

Welcome to the forum!!! Great to have you join us.

Can you please clarify what you mean by the delay?

R-

• Options
    A quick download of orders into a spreadsheet could have the orders reconciled against household limits in less than one hour. There's more to it than that and my guess is less than 50,000 were ready to ship and now the Mint is trying to put 75,000 coin capsules in fancy boxes. This is a approaching another mint-made debacle.
  • Options
    One of my friends who got shut out because he was a work and couldn't break away right at noon asked: "Why don't they release these at say 8 pm Eastern so that everyone can have a shot at them?" Great question. I've never understood why they release items at noon.
  • Options
    And on another note my cc "pending" charge from the mint disappeared yesterday. That usually happens when the charge is posted to the current billing period but this time it's just gone and has been for 24 hours. Anybody else see this?
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep, same for me
  • Options
    engmticengmtic Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I've been ordering from the mint for about 8 years now (not long compared to a lot of you guys) and even during the high demand issues i have usually had mine go from processing to shipping in a couple of days or so. With the Mercury issue, we are nearing the end of day 4 and it seems the vast majority of people are still stuck on processing which is unusual. Particularly so considering that they seem to have pre minted most or all of them already.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my friends who got shut out because he was a work and couldn't break away right at noon asked: "Why don't they release these at say 8 pm Eastern so that everyone can have a shot at them?" Great question. I've never understood why they release items at noon.

And everyone on the west coast is stuck in a traffic jam trying to get home?? There will not be one perfect time. Most people can spare a few minutes. If not, be prepared and have a family or friend do it for you.
  • Options
    And on another note my cc "pending" charge from the mint disappeared yesterday. That usually happens when the charge is posted to the current billing period but this time it's just gone and has been for 24 hours. Anybody else see this?

Maybe they decided not to charge you for your order since they could not ship it in a timely fashion?

Sorry, but I am so frustrated by the Mint on this one. I got burned on the Kennedy golds just like this, and it is a shame it seems to be happening again.

• Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

Same here. Just check a minute ago and it's back to pending. Order was picked up yesterday
    and departed this morning. That was order #2 placed at 12:13.
    BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    A quick download of orders into a spreadsheet could have the orders reconciled against household limits in less than one hour. There's more to it than that and my guess is less than 50,000 were ready to ship and now the Mint is trying to put 75,000 coin capsules in fancy boxes. This is a approaching another mint-made debacle.

LOL ... reconcile in seconds

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file