Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is exactly what I did and I managed to get a free 70 for my trouble. Also note they are available for $350 or possibly less soon from dealers already. Some on eBay just want to pay more.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldminers
    That is exactly what I did and I managed to get a free 70 for my trouble. Also note they are available for $350 or possibly less soon from dealers already. Some on eBay just want to pay more.

Seeming like the way to go.

I just wonder how much lower that they will be when I finally get mine.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Order No. USM04127XXX
    Qty. 3
    Order Confirmed 12:11 PM
    CC Discover
    Shipping Budget (Cheapest)
    Date Shipped 4-25-16
    Date Received Today

One coin for me and the other two will go to two of my friends at mint cost.

Coins look okay but are soft in detail. Will keep mine, but the coin is nothing "to write home about." Just my opinion. Have no desire for a slab 70.

CollectorMan

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SONOMOSCA
    Just came across this on Ebay

Good, bad or nothing big? I have no idea, so I'm curious on your thoughts.

Thanks for fixing the link derby! I think I have it now.

Very hard to tell when the picture is through the holder. Could be mostly distortion from the plastic.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raufus
    It seems that none of the big dealers are buying these sealed. Perhaps an ominous sign of things to come for this issue?? I am looking forward to owning one or two but I'm undecided what to do with the other 8... I wonder how many of these will be sent back.

You nailed it ....smart money knows Merc overpriced .. too many Mercs minted ...dealers will be there to buy lower
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CollectorMan
    Order No. USM04127XXX
    Qty. 3
    Order Confirmed 12:11 PM
    CC Discover
    Shipping Budget (Cheapest)
    Date Shipped 4-25-16
    Date Received Today

One coin for me and the other two will go to two of my friends at mint cost.

Coins look okay but are soft in detail. Will keep mine, but the coin is nothing "to write home about." Just my opinion. Have no desire for a slab 70.

CollectorMan

Great to see your positive way to share nice coins with your friends. image

As far as 70's go, my problem, or is it actually an addiction, is that I collect modern 70's in PCGS slabs. So if I can get one with a bit of work and also luck, for free it is a rare event that I celebrate!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    I decided to take one of my mercs out and sure enough, I have some finning as well. It is already "sold" on ebay, or I MIGHT see if it could grade as an error. Any chance it would?
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about the grading part but I really like your photos. Kind of cool to see the exposed relief.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those fins would make any bass proud. Good job jwitten!
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    How much did your finned out Merc sell for?
  • Options
    Unfortunately I did not notice it until they all sold (sold 10, average of $285 each). One lucky buyer will be getting it. Should I mention the finning?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this really considered a mint error?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jwitten
    Unfortunately I did not notice it until they all sold (sold 10, average of $285 each). One lucky buyer will be getting it. Should I mention the finning?

I probably wouldn't point it out, at this point, does it matter? According to several of the finning error postings on ebay, the sellers are asking moon money with no sales to back up the market for the type of error. It is neat, but until I see one sell for over double the original sell price, I think it's a minimal issue. Did you at least make a pretty good rip off of the lot of ten?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    Is this really considered a mint error?

The only error I see in the "finning" is the Mint's QC department hiring standards.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bluelobster
    Sweet, no chainmaille image

lol. This is supposed to be a 1916 replica. But still, gotta get mine quick before the recall demands start...
  • Options
    I might point it out and see what he says. I did decent over all. I ended up with 20 (2 addresses, I know, I know.) I actually have a few more orders in but not sure I will get them. I listed pretty aggressively to get a quick guaranteed profit. I really want to keep a few, so hope I get a few more in.
  • Options
    Well one of my orders (41268xx) shows "On Vehicle for Delivery Today" and the other, earlier order (41260xx), is still "Processing". image

One out two ain't bad though! image Makes me wonder how many orders have not shipping after 8 days?
  • Options
    For grins.

The 1/10ozt capsules were the same size as the AGE, so I assume the 1/4 and 1/2 will be too.

All three will fit, but it's a tight fit. So the mint could throw us collectors who are keeping this set raw a bone and ship a three hole platter.

Hello US Mint? Are you listening? image
  • Options
    I decided to take one of my mercs out and sure enough, I have some finning as well. It is already "sold" on ebay, or I MIGHT see if it could grade as an error. Any chance it would?

I looked closely at the two I have open, and both show signs of finning, but I can't be absolutely sure how much unless I open the capsule, which I'm not willing to do unless these start bringing a premium...

Did Barnum predict correctly on these? image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie

I looked closely at the two I have open, and both show signs of finning, but I can't be absolutely sure how much unless I open the capsule, which I'm not willing to do unless these start bringing a premium...

Did Barnum predict correctly on these? image

That's funny, however there are only 125,000. The true collectibility will not be known until a later date. Supply and demand led many a "wise man" to the refinery , to the delight of a few holders of collectible coins throughout the years.
    We have to look way back to Pan Pac, Lewis&Clark gold commems, etc., and imagine what those modern coin geeks back then were thinking by holding them. Were they concerned about the "market" ? Probably not. We get the option of discussing and challenging thoughts and watching the market move around us or ... enjoying it while actively participating in both the hobby and the market.

Nobody said it would be fun, but HRH always recommends having fun with them. image I would agree with him on that.
  • Options
    Add to that the rising price of PMs and the game becomes more interesting.
  • Options
    Can't you feel 'em circlin', honey
    Can't you feel 'em schoolin' around
    You got fins to the left, fins to the right
    And you're the only bait in town

Jimmy Buffett
  • Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    I looked at all nine of mine and its pretty obvious without taking them out of the capsule that all 9 have the finned reed. Looks like one without will be the rarity.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Odd that there are no PLs yet with all the dealers sending in now. Maybe there will not be any. I don't think any of the 2008 Buffalos MS were Proof Like either.

I might just keep my 5 boxes sealed for a while. Seems the PCGS FS 70 are being sold at around $375.
  • Options
    Coinworld.com once again has an interesting article on the dimes.

U.S. Mint officials awaiting decision on unsold gold dimes

Apparently, after eliminating bad orders, returns and cancellations, the Mint still has 3,800 coins and are trying to figure out a way to "fairly and equitably distribute" the remainder.

At the time the gold dimes went on sale from the Mint, about 110,000 of the coins were already at the Mint’s order fulfillment contractor PFSWeb in Memphis, Tenn., with the remaining production en route, Jurkowsky said.

That confirms the Memphis facility is a PFSWeb facility and not the Mint's. PFSWeb really is doing end-to-end fulfillment for the Mint.

About the split bands:
    Mint spokesman Michael White said the absence of full bands on the 2016 gold dimes is the result of the evolution of production technology.

“In 1916, only certain levels of detail were able to be machined into hubs/dies by the Janvier transfer engraving machines,” White said via email. “When finer details were required, such as those found in the original Mercury Dime, that detail had to be hand scribed into the tooling by artisans of the day.

“This hand scribing of additional detail in the tooling stage was phased out many years ago. The current digital process enables the Mint to achieve very high levels of detail.

“However coin diameter, coupled with the physical limitations of milling steel hubs/dies while trying to achieve fidelity of detail, are all connected. Some limitations in detail achieved are inherent in the process.”
  • Options
    BLee23BLee23 Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    This product has been my first foray into the world of US Mint products. 8 days after purchase (and hitting my CC), my order is still showing as processing. Customer service has given me 2 very different answers regarding an actual ship date. Is this typical of these type of releases from the Mint, or was this product launch just handled particularly poorly?
    Successful BST Transactions: sinin1, Kryptonitecomics, seemyauction, RyGuy, cucamongacoin, holeinone1972, Ciccio, sbeverly, Gerard, Topstuf, Downtown1974, CaptHenway, PerryHall, Barndog, LukeMarshall, Cent1225, commoncents05, Soldi, SurfinxHI
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this one was just very poorly...typically not this bad.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    "U.S. Mint officials awaiting decision on unsold gold dimes"

I thought US Mint Officials made these decisions.

"About the split bands:

Mint spokesman Michael White said the absence of full bands on the 2016 gold dimes is the result of the evolution of production technology."

There ya go. It's over with, the USmint admits it. Production vs. what a dime really looked like back in 1916 vs. the USmint gold 1/10th 2016 commem. It's "evolution". What a crock.
  • Options
    The Mint 100 years ago managed to mint 22.2 million 1916 Mercury dimes at Philadelphia, 264,000 in Denver ( this new one is half that!), and 10.45 million in San Francisco.

All of those had details and the people back then were able to keep up production.

I agree with you, this is another lame excuse from the Mint to try to justify their poor quality.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

"U.S. Mint officials awaiting decision on unsold gold dimes"

I thought US Mint Officials made these decisions.

"About the split bands:

Mint spokesman Michael White said the absence of full bands on the 2016 gold dimes is the result of the evolution of production technology."

There ya go. It's over with, the USmint admits it. Production vs. what a dime really looked like back in 1916 vs. the USmint gold 1/10th 2016 commem. It's "evolution". What a crock.

This is the same Mint spokesman who lied about the artists renditions on the gold dime page as actual photos. Once again he makes statements that are obviously untrue. What about the details present on the 1/10th oz AGE?

Spokesman = paid double speak professional. Able to spin any fact in any direction as long as he is not called out to explain the contradictions. Which only prompts more double speak. I would take anything this guy says with a block of salt the size of the Mint building.

Edited to add:

The First Strike cut off date has posted

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "About the split bands:

Pair it with a 1945 and you have a nice matched set! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    There was a World War going on in 1945, maybe the Mint workers were under a bit more stress then?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my singleton today. Very sloppy packaging. The product box in its sleeve is about 4-1/2 by 4-1/2. The shipping box is about 6 by 7-1/2.

The product box was placed in the shipping box and some rolled up packing paper placed longwise in the box that kept the sleeve of the product box from moving up and down, but the heavy inner box was moving back and forth inside the sleeve from one end of the shipping box to the other.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BLee23
    This product has been my first foray into the world of US Mint products. 8 days after purchase (and hitting my CC), my order is still showing as processing. Customer service has given me 2 very different answers regarding an actual ship date. Is this typical of these type of releases from the Mint, or was this product launch just handled particularly poorly?

Keep your chin up, BLee.

This is the nature of the Mint lottery; some win early and some win/lose late.

The playing is what counts!

• Options
    Originally posted by: Overdate
    "About the split bands:

Pair it with a 1945 and you have a nice matched set! image

Thanks. This post made me look up issues at the Mint in 1945. A lot of male workers with engraving or tooling skills were sent to the war. The President had just died. A new bill was introduced to eliminate the Mercury dime and replace it with an older version of this guy!

And yes, that really is FDR at age 2.
  • Options
    Just received this e-mail from the mint:

Dear United States Mint Customer:

Thank you for your recent purchase of the 2016 Mercury Dime Centennial Gold Coin. Once your order ships, you will receive a confirmation email with a tracking number included for tracking its status and delivery. Please be advised that because of the value of your order, an adult at least 21 years of age will be required to sign for the package upon delivery.

If you have any questions, please contact us at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468), and one of our customer service representatives will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for your continued support of the United States Mint.

Looks like it won't be shipping this week. A 12:12et order. image
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got our ten today. Nice. The lack of FSB isn't a big deal to me since they're all that way...but that said, being a gold issue it would have been easy to get a socked on the nose full strike had they bothered to engrave the bands. Hopefully the SLQ will look good also. The Walker- I realize the significance, 100th anniversary and all... but it somehow seems redundant seeing how we already have ASEs out there.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: telephoto1
    Got our ten today. Nice. The lack of FSB isn't a big deal to me since they're all that way...but that said, being a gold issue it would have been easy to get a socked on the nose full strike had they bothered to engrave the bands. Hopefully the SLQ will look good also. The Walker- I realize the significance, 100th anniversary and all... but it somehow seems redundant seeing how we already have ASEs out there.

The quarter looks good to me... on display at CSNS and picture taken by PAN and reposted by Mint News Blog:

• Options
    I still wish they would have just done silver proofs. I am a dedicated modern gold collector and the quarter and half have some good potential, but as a tribute to the designer/engravers, I think the Mint should have kept these EXACTLY like the 100 year old originals, but a proof finish to show the quality.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: illini420
    The quarter looks good to me... on display at CSNS and picture taken by PAN and reposted by Mint News Blog:

How long before the date wears off? image

• Options
    Hi everybody, this is my 1st post. I ve been lurking for many years now since 2006. Anyways I have a couple of questions and idk maybe it would be something Eric would have an answer for if he were here. 1) is it possible the mint has started a gold type set of all the highly collectibles from the past. Obvious the buffalo was the 1st right? Now we will have three more. I know the Mercury gold doesn't have the best detail. But if I remember right, there were comments about the 2008 1/10 buffalo s not having as much detail as its bigger siblings. Now for my second question 2) has it occurred to anyone that if one takes all the 2008 gold buffalo fractions of all shapes, sizes, and strikes that there are over 100,000 of those minted for 1 year. That doesn't include the 2008 w 1 oz or the 2008 w proof. The 1/10th Oz sold for $97 on the mint. Nobody wanted them. The mint couldn't give them away because they were way too high over spot at the time. Then all of the sudden the mint says, we are reducing our portfolio for 2010. No more fractional buffalo s. But the mint made over 100,000 that year without the oz rs. One can look at this anyway they want ito, but they still make over 100,000 of those coins and they still sell 3 to 4 x of mint issue price. Really there aren't much more mercs out there than fractional Buffalos. Weight wise there is way less gold Mercury s than gold bufflao fractions. Just a couple thoughts, not trying to ruffle any feathers. But really your gonna have a lot of collectors that will want a type set of all the old designs in gold. There really isn't that much gold variations one can affordably buy on the old stuff. One gets past the libs, Indians, and the saint what else is there that nice for under $1500 to $2000 that has any weight? Thanks for reading , happy 1st post, hope you guys don't slay me for saying this. Lol
  • Options

Would make an interesting pocket piece. Take a picture of it the first day of every month and see how long the date lasts.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Would make an interesting pocket piece. Take a picture of it the first day of every month and see how long the date lasts.

You got me thinking Captain, I should throw one of those gold Mercs in my pocket and wear it down to an AG grade. I think that would be a little bit more special than all of the 70's in existence so far.

• Options
    Originally posted by: BarberJ

Hi everybody, this is my 1st post. I ve been lurking for many years now since 2006. Anyways I have a couple of questions and idk maybe it would be something Eric would have an answer for if he were here. 1) is it possible the mint has started a gold type set of all the highly collectibles from the past. Obvious the buffalo was the 1st right? Now we will have three more. I know the Mercury gold doesn't have the best detail. But if I remember right, there were comments about the 2008 1/10 buffalo s not having as much detail as its bigger siblings. Now for my second question 2) has it occurred to anyone that if one takes all the 2008 gold buffalo fractions of all shapes, sizes, and strikes that there are over 100,000 of those minted for 1 year. That doesn't include the 2008 w 1 oz or the 2008 w proof. The 1/10th Oz sold for $97 on the mint. Nobody wanted them. The mint couldn't give them away because they were way too high over spot at the time. Then all of the sudden the mint says, we are reducing our portfolio for 2010. No more fractional buffalo s. But the mint made over 100,000 that year without the oz rs. One can look at this anyway they want ito, but they still make over 100,000 of those coins and they still sell 3 to 4 x of mint issue price. Really there aren't much more mercs out there than fractional Buffalos. Weight wise there is way less gold Mercury s than gold bufflao fractions. Just a couple thoughts, not trying to ruffle any feathers. But really your gonna have a lot of collectors that will want a type set of all the old designs in gold. There really isn't that much gold variations one can affordably buy on the old stuff. One gets past the libs, Indians, and the saint what else is there that nice for under $1500 to $2000 that has any weight? Thanks for reading , happy 1st post, hope you guys don't slay me for saying this. Lol

The 1/10th Oz sold for $97 on the mint. Nobody wanted them. The mint couldn't give them away because they were way too high over spot at the time. Then all of the sudden the mint says, we are reducing our portfolio for 2010. No more fractional buffalo s.

The 1/10th Buffs sold for $97? Gold averaged around $900 in 2008 so that number sounds too low. $7 over melt sounds pretty darn cheap to me!

• Options
    Yeah, when precious medals shot up in price in 2008 the mint removed all products for sales, for weeks. Then made a price adjustment that was a lot higher on all products.
  • Options
    Coin World Online story says Mint has about 3,800 pieces unsold due to credit card failures, returns, etc. Also explains why the bands are so crappy:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/...n-min-inventory.2.html

TD
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Coin World Online story says Mint has about 3,800 pieces unsold due to credit card failures, returns, etc. Also explains why the bands are so crappy:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/...n-min-inventory.2.html

TD

Geez, I refuse to believe that their current technology cannot implement those fine details like a split band. Besides, the mint should have a couple skilled engravers on hand for such work. Consumers expect a level of quality and service, that's the justification for the prices they ask for the product.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BarberJ
    1) is it possible the mint has started a gold type set of all the highly collectibles from the past. Obvious the buffalo was the 1st right? Now we will have three more.l

Welcome!

If the Mint is creating a gold and/or silver type set, I think it's random and haphazard rather than intentional. So far we have the three gold 1916 designs, the 2014 gold Kennedy half, the Buffalo gold bullion coin (in various sizes), the Silver Eagle and Gold Eagle obverses, the four obverse designs of the First Spouse "Liberty Subset", the reverses of the 2006 gold and silver San Francisco Mint commems, the reverse of the 2006 Benjamin Franklin "Founding Father" silver dollar, the 2009 St. Gaudens high relief gold $20, and possibly a few others I've missed.

It seems like the Mint just reissues an old design whenever it feels like it.

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Forgive me if I missed this from earlier posts but do these need to be sent in to PCGS still packaged in the original, unopened, mint shipping box for them to qualify for first strike designation or are they all first strike eligible since they sold out within 45 minutes and can be sent in individually once you have a chance to inspect them and cherry pick the best for grading? Thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file