Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and someone, as they are turning out the lights, let DimeMan know that I am holding his Gold merc at mint cost plus shipping whenever he is ready for delivery.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    This is getting interesting. image
    DateDescNumber soldNet Increase
    4/24/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)122,510122,510
    5/1/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)119,920-2,590
    5/8/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)118,741-1,179
    5/15/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)117,695-1,046
    I think it's safe to say that the thousand coins returned are not from failed credit cards, duplicate addresses or cancellations from those who were on backorder. (The 1179 number may be in question, too, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt... Heh.)

So there could be up to 7,000 or so coins available, more than last years plat proof... image It'll be interesting to see how many actually go back on sale...

Mint's lips are still sealed on what they're going to do with them.

My wag is hh limit of one, unavailable to those who already ordered the max of 10.

Perhaps....add all those "rejects" to a future date 3 coin set. ( Limited quantity of 7k...1 per household...(2 minute sell out) )image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and someone, as they are turning out the lights, let DimeMan know that I am holding his Gold merc at mint cost plus shipping whenever he is ready for delivery.

Not fair! I called dibs on Dimeman several weeks ago, and I even dropped my price from an obscene profit level to only an exorbitant profit. I'm prepared to wait him out.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52

Not fair! I called dibs on Dimeman several weeks ago, and I even dropped my price from an obscene profit level to only an exorbitant profit. I'm prepared to wait him out.image

Well done, sir, you have bested my lowball lowbrow offer.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    libertydudelibertydude Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Got my one unit from the mint. Has the finning issue-- otherwise looks good. Was going to send it back, but decided to try and get an error label. *shrug*
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is getting interesting. image
    I think it's safe to say that the thousand coins returned are not from failed credit cards, duplicate addresses or cancellations from those who were on backorder. (The 1179 number may be in question, too, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt... Heh.)

So there could be up to 7,000 or so coins available, more than last years plat proof... image It'll be interesting to see how many actually go back on sale...

Mint's lips are still sealed on what they're going to do with them.

My wag is hh limit of one, unavailable to those who already ordered the max of 10.

Lets hope they don't tighten up on their return policy.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    GC is running these in FS buyitnow for $299.99 if anyone's interested. How low can they go?
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JCLIGHTBRIGADE

GC is running these in FS buyitnow for $299.99 if anyone's interested. How low can they go?

Linkadoodle

If raw pieces drop to the $205 issue price then high pop 70s could go to $250 IMO.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGE POPULATION UPDATE

PCGS 70 First Strike population past 13,000 and growing. The flip has flopped.

At least when the returns go back on sale at the mint there will be no competition with the flippers

for a reject at Mint issue price.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Day old donuts image
    Stale in Original Package.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: HATTRICK
    PCGE POPULATION UPDATE

At least when the returns go back on sale at the mint there will be no competition with the flippers

the PCGS 70s are dropping .. on ebay.... it has indeed flopped
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGE POPULATION UPDATE

So am I reading those numbers correctly when I see that there are only 18 SP70s that aren't First Strike?

I want to submit one of my own just for fun -- and I think I do want one in a PCGS holder -- but I think I'll save the $18 for FS attribution. Maybe with the green tag.

Does anybody have images of the gold dime in the retro tag holders, or with that "Gold Foil" tag I see in the population report?

Edit to add: nevermind on the green 30th anny holders, I just saw a couple in completed listings on ebay. (And I think I like the look of the regular FS label better.) I'm still curious about the gold foil labels, though. Are some of these labels available at shows only?
  • Options
    Holding out for that 3 coin holder with the SLQ 1/4 ounce, and the WLH 1/2 ounce. There's got to be a contingency plan.
  • Options
    Planetsteve

Try Modern Coin Mart. I believe they had the gold foil labels. I also think I saw some in the eBay listings awhile back.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Thanks Hattrick. I see that MCM has numerous tag choices. They don't have the gold foil labels from PCGS, but they do have them from the ATS.

My main gripe about all of these labels -- especially from ATS -- that they have *too much information*. I know these are 100th anniversary; I know these are 24k gold; I know these were (virtually) all sold in one day. None of that info will ever distinguish one gold Merc from the next. Six lines of text and a barcode overwhelm these little coins.
  • Options
    Prices on 69s ..drop under raw Gold Mercs .. $240 - $250
  • Options
    look out below, bst @ $2200 / 10 sealed
  • Options
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

I believe that is an offer to buy at $2200, not an offer to sell. image

• Options
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

Yes it is and what someone is willing to pay is all that it is worth and that amount continues to go lower.image

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hattrick: But, if that is the case, why do I still need more? image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

The 70s have dropped to 300 - $310.. 69s cheaper than raw.. fi you have not bought .. wait ............still going lower.. dealer buy under Mint price
  • Options
    Originally posted by: wondercoin

Hattrick: But, if that is the case, why do I still need more? image

Wondercoin

Because you are trying to buy at the bottom with no cash outlay and sell in bulk for a small margin which you are already locked in with orders.

It's nice for you that you are in a position to make money on a flip on your terms. However it

Does not add any value to an over hyped and over produced product that is on it's way down.image
  • Options
    Hattrick. I respectfully disagree on (3) points...

1. As Bestday just said... I am possibly not buying at the bottom at all here. Who knows?

2. I am offering a total cash outlay for the coins.

3. I have no existing orders for these coins.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Glad I'm not in the modern US Commen 125K release flip biz.

Looking at http://wondercoins.com/Modern_...mmemoratives_(US).html, there is not an iota,
    of 2016 Mercury dime mentioned.

Buy now, sell later? Maybe? 10%?

Going to take a long time.

MHO.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy one at spot........actually I wouldn't buy one at any price.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

I wouldn't buy one at spot........actually I wouldn't buy one at any price.

Yes, I believe you have said that enough times that, given 10c for each time, you could have purchased a box of 10 from the mint

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Epcjimi1... Thanks for that heads up. Another thing I can tell Justin he needs to keep up on when we go for brunch in 15 minutes. No wonder I have no existing orders! Lol.

They will be on my site tonight!!

Wondercoin.
  • Options

1. As Bestday just said... I am possibly not buying at the bottom at all here. Who knows?

Wondercoin.

No need to knock wondercoin.. all thru years of various Mint products .. Wondercoin alone ...has been a steady buyer at fair prices on this board...He has been successful thru work and smarts about coin market... Coin Market is open to anyone else wanting emulate Wondrcoin's successimage

• Options

Yes it is and what someone is willing to pay is all that it is worth and that amount continues to go lower.image

So what one individual is willing to pay sets the market value? image Okay - got it.

• Options
    Originally posted by: bestday

Wondercoin.

No need to knock wondercoin.. all thru years of various Mint products .. Wondercoin alone ...has been a steady buyer at fair prices on this board...He has been successful thru work and smarts about coin market... Coin Market is open to anyone else wanting emulate Wondrcoin's successimage

Unbelievable how you guys take every little thing and try to twist it to make it out like it is putting somebody down. Nothing against Wondercoin, I too have sold to him in the past.

Just stating he was in the position to make money on a small spread as a reply to him saying why is he still buying if the value is down. It's his business selling coins and he does it well. Nothing wrong with that. Been there done that !!!!!

While his offers are competitive, when prices go down his offers go down weather he has committed orders or not. Has to if he wants to stay in business. Nothing wrong with that and at least he is making a market when others are not.

Still the discussion was the value of this coin is going DOWN and what one person does or does not do will not stop that.

• Options

So what one individual is willing to pay sets the market value? image Okay - got it.

If that's what you think you are far from getting it.image

Truth is the market is down to $ 2,200 for a box of 10 and going lower and PCGS 70's have gone below $300 and will also go lower.

Good , bad or whatever, it is what it is .
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh.
    5/22/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)116,299-1,396
    At this rate, one could conjecture that in a couple of years, they'll have more in inventory than they minted in the first place!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bestday

Wondercoin.

Unbelievable how you guys take every little thing and try to twist it to make it out like it is putting somebody down. Nothing against Wondercoin, I too have sold to him in the past.
    Just stating he was in the position to make money on a small spread. It's his business selling coins and he does it well. Nothing wrong with that. Been there done that !!!!!

Reread your comment ..it is unbelievable .. Sorry in business some would have shunned you

• Options
    libertydudelibertydude Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Mine just got graded. Tried to get an error label for the finning. Doesn't look like it worked image

Date, mintmark 2016-W
    Denomination 10C
    Variety Mercury Dime Gold 100th Anniversary First Strike Label First Strike
    Country The United States of America
    Grade SP70
    Holder Type Standard
    Population
  • Options
    Interesting. Has the finning issue been described as as "error" anywhere besides ebay sales?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits

Originally posted by: jwitten

I decided to take one of my mercs out and sure enough, I have some finning as well. It is already "sold" on ebay, or I MIGHT see if it could grade as an error. Any chance it would?

I agree, jwitten, that your pics are incredibly detailed.

Well done, and I would instantly recognize these as YOUR work.

Seems to be to common to be recognized as an error

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems to be to common to be recognized as an error

Agreed. Just as many with finning as without.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does CONECA or any TPG recognize finning as an error yet?
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might get a PCGS 70 when they get close to issue price, which won't be long.
  • Options
    New numbers:
    5/30/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)116,175-124
    Returns are slowing. Maybe we'll finally see how the mint wants to sell the stock they have.

Will anyone want 'em?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New numbers:
    Returns are slowing. Maybe we'll finally see how the mint wants to sell the stock they have.

Will anyone want 'em?

Not me....PCGS graded 70's are now selling in the $270 range & still dropping on eBay. If they get down to $225, I'll grab me one.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So glad kept a few and sold the rest early!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    3 sold for over $350 in today's Stack's auction.
  • Options
    Current BST listing-

2016-w Gold Mercury Dimes available for sale at $269.95 each delivered. Each one is graded by PCGS as SP70 and has the First Strike Flag Label.

Not my listing, not a lot of room after postage, grading, that's where 125,000 mintage gets you. MHO.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been tracking these...sold my box almost immediately upon receipt.

However, one high price, nor one low price, makes the value.

Some of the high prices are dreams and someone biting. Some of the low prices are people with weak hands that need to pay bills and can't hold for long (or just want out quickly).

Rather than just posting a "low" price, would be more interesting to see a congestion of prices as trends.

Seems some folks just want to wish the worst on the prices/sellers.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    No rocket science here. Everyone that has been following these coins knows the price has been going down for some time. And with the PCGS 70 FS population over 20,000 it will go lower.

• Options

Seems some folks just want to wish the worst on the prices/sellers.

When sale prices are up, let's all tell each other what a great deal was made, when prices are down, "Seems some folks just want to wish the worst on the prices/sellers."

Conversely, if I was looking to buy, "some folks" would be happy at low prices.

• Options
    799 +
  • Options
    6/5/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)116,139-36
    That's 6371 coins theoretically on the table. If I'm generous and say 25% of those are deemed damaged or otherwise unsalable by the mint, that still leaves around 4,800 coins to be sold. But still no word on how they're going to sell the rest.

In other, but similar news, it's bizarre that less than 10 days from the release of the C&C set and three weeks before the release of the 2016 Proof APE, that there are still no details released about either product. Hello? Mint marketing department? Anyone there? Hello?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file