Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    Order submitted at about 9:30am this morning shows about 59,200 orders since the lowest reported number from yesterday at noon.

Not all of those were SLQ's, so we're looking at first day sales of less than 59K...

47,884 according to coin world....

Just how many of the Standing Liberty gold quarters were sold the first day?
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

47,884 according to coin world....

Will take a long time to sell this one to completion. the gold half will be worse, assuming the US Mint continues its ways.

I'm in for a 17.5K release of the gold half., otherwise the release of the half will be exorbitant to the market,
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: goldbuffalo
    Originally posted by: Kudbegud
    Originally posted by: messydesk
    4429xxx.

I couldn't complete the checkout on Chrome. The browser kept blocking step 4. IE/Edge worked fine.

About 29,000 orders. I switched to IE a few orders ago with success but terrible hanging today. They really need to have scaling servers that automatically add capacity under heavy demand. How do you think Amazon handles those special sale days? They have to have several times the volume as the Mint even on the heaviest days....like today.

I like to compare with Ebay.

With all those bids, last second bids, etc....That's a lot of processing.

This was small potatoes, what, 10 maybe 20K orders in the first 5 minutes and it crashes!!!

That's pretty bad in this day and age, i'd expect that 10 years ago, maybe.

The Mint needs to get their money back from who ever upgraded them a few years back.

Did anyone really study what failed yesterday?

Doesn't look like it.

The secret was your credit card lookup in step 3. All of you who got an error when checking out when at that stage (including choosing the billing address), failed because you didn't let the system finish the credit card lookup.

AT THAT POINT, had you just waited for the system to finish the lookup, you could have moved on to step 4. If you tried to manually fix things (such as your billing address), rechoose your CC, or manually entered your CC number, your transaction failed. If you backed out and started over, that made it even worse for everyone, stacking multiple transactions and causing page timeouts by re-requesting pages that were already loaded, and putting even more load on the credit card lookup/billing system.

It wasn't the web interface itself that failed yesterday, it was the slow (or overloaded) credit card lookups.

After I realized that at about 12:05, I was checked out at 12:08...

What would i do when my page goes blank and what ever it said, like connection lost.

I have to refresh the page and a minimum.

Either way it doesn't work, if we should 'wait' during something, then how about a message.

I think they are trying to do to much on the Payment and Billing, once you select a Card, it should be done, but instead you have to Select Billing Address on the drop down, even though my billing address is already there. It says Bill To: then an Edit (if needed). So why the drop down....?!?!

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: messydesk

4429xxx.

I couldn't complete the checkout on Chrome. The browser kept blocking step 4. IE/Edge worked fine.

About 29,000 orders. I switched to IE a few orders ago with success but terrible hanging today. They really need to have scaling servers that automatically add capacity under heavy demand. How do you think Amazon handles those special sale days? They have to have several times the volume as the Mint even on the heaviest days....like today.

I like to compare with Ebay.

With all those bids, last second bids, etc....That's a lot of processing.

This was small potatoes, what, 10 maybe 20K orders in the first 5 minutes and it crashes!!!

That's pretty bad in this day and age, i'd expect that 10 years ago, maybe.

The Mint needs to get their money back from who ever upgraded them a few years back.

Did anyone really study what failed yesterday?

Doesn't look like it.

The secret was your credit card lookup in step 3. All of you who got an error when checking out when at that stage (including choosing the billing address), failed because you didn't let the system finish the credit card lookup.

AT THAT POINT, had you just waited for the system to finish the lookup, you could have moved on to step 4. If you tried to manually fix things (such as your billing address), rechoose your CC, or manually entered your CC number, your transaction failed. If you backed out and started over, that made it even worse for everyone, stacking multiple transactions and causing page timeouts by re-requesting pages that were already loaded, and putting even more load on the credit card lookup/billing system.

It wasn't the web interface itself that failed yesterday, it was the slow (or overloaded) credit card lookups.

After I realized that at about 12:05, I was checked out at 12:08...

Ummmm....no. Not for all of us.

I was erroring out GETTING TO the USmint.gov website.

Then, I was erroring out trying to add to cart.

Those were the majority of my issues. Only once did it error on confirming the order information.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

I think they are trying to do to much on the Payment and Billing, once you select a Card, it should be done, but instead you have to Select Billing Address on the drop down, even though my billing address is already there. It says Bill To: then an Edit (if needed). So why the drop down....?!?!

That drop down should have been filled in with the CC info. The slow lookups is why it didn't get automatically selected.

If you go to the mint site and do a test transaction, you'll see that's true.

Though I agree I'm not sure why they even have that drop down where it is...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

Ummmm....no. Not for all of us.
    I was erroring out GETTING TO the USmint.gov website.
    Then, I was erroring out trying to add to cart.

Those were the majority of my issues. Only once did it error on confirming the order information.

You couldn't get to the entry page even with a couple of refreshes? I didn't see that, and that isn't where the majority of the complaints were. Are you on a major service provider?

However, once you try to add an item to your cart, you are talking to the same subsystem as everyone else trying to check out. I could see where you had problems there.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is exactly one of my pet peeves with the "new" system and I have ragged about it before. What is the point of having a default Billing or Shipping address if you have to select it each time? It's not really a default anymore. Everything should be automatically populated once you select the credit card. Remember the "Quick Checkout" on the old system??? It wasn't always quick, but that's the general idea...
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty excited to see these in hand. beautiful coins. and I believe the Miss is bare breasted? scandalous
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 2ltdjorn
    I am pretty excited to see these in hand. beautiful coins. and I believe the Miss is bare breasted? scandalous

Agreed. The flippers may be be moaning and groaning, but it's a grand slam for the collector who wants one for his collection because of the "one per household" limit.

Who cares if there's a sellout or not? Kudos to the Mint for keeping the greedy on the sidelines, at least for this item.
    Robert
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Everything should be automatically populated once you select the credit card.

It does work that way when there isn't a stampede..I order a couple of pucks last week and every went as it is supposed to

It just has a brain fart when stressed.....
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    Deep gratitude for Teddy Roosevelt's determination to bring great artistry to U.S. coinage.

I think he'd be overjoyed with these centennial issues,

These paired with the UHR St. Gaudiens, will be remarkably beautiful.

However, I think he'd be as critical as any of us here of the mint's failure to have FSB's on the Merc.

Can't wait to receive mine.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FaberCastell
    Originally posted by: 2ltdjorn

Agreed. The flippers may be be moaning and groaning, but it's a grand slam for the collector who wants one for his collection because of the "one per household" limit.

Who cares if there's a sellout or not? Kudos to the Mint for keeping the greedy on the sidelines, at least for this item.

Someone at The Mint decided to cut out the flippers...LOL ..No more free money from the Mint

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BigA

It does work that way when there isn't a stampede..I order a couple of pucks last week and every went as it is supposed to

And this is where they need to concentrate their (the Mint or the fulfillment company, who ever runs the catalog ordering system) efforts. They need to copy how ebay and Amazon don't seem to have this problem. Scaling servers that temporarily turn on when they detect more people logged into the system. There should be time to do this as customers log into their accounts a few minutes before noon don't they?

• Options
    This thought just came to me. The mint allows you to subscribe to a product like Proof Sets and ASE's before going on sale. You are in the que and processed at the moment sales start. I get an email shortly after midnight eastern time just like the confirmation email for any of these noon releases. What if you could pre-order in the days or weeks before the noon opening? There would be no stampede, no overwhelming the servers. All your info could be verified just like a subscription is.

This could have been discussed previously. If so, I apologize for bringing up a "dead horse" issue.

• Options
    They need to copy how ebay and Amazon don't seem to have this problem. Scaling servers that temporarily turn on when they detect more people logged into the system. There should be time to do this as customers log into their accounts a few minutes before noon don't they?

Google "amazon prime day problems".
  • Options
    This thought just came to me. The mint allows you to subscribe to a product like Proof Sets and ASE's before going on sale. You are in the que and processed at the moment sales start. I get an email shortly after midnight eastern time just like the confirmation email for any of these noon releases. What if you could pre-order in the days or weeks before the noon opening? There would be no stampede, no overwhelming the servers. All your info could be verified just like a subscription is.
    This could have been discussed previously. If so, I apologize for bringing up a "dead horse" issue.

What will the mint do when they receive 25,000 orders for a coin that only has a mintage of 12,500?

Not only would that preclude many subscribers, but none would have been available online on sales day. That's what would have happened for the recent silver medals, and *then* you'd have seen people screaming... image
  • Options

When I figured out what was going on and left one shopping card window alone, that field finally did populate, and I checked out.

Credit card lookups were just slow. Which was the problem...

Edit to add: Next time (probably the WLH), open two windows to your shopping cart, keep refreshing one when you get an error, and leave the other window alone, but keep checking it, and see which one gets done first...
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got an e-mail last night saying my gold quarter has shipped. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    What will the mint do when they receive 25,000 orders for a coin that only has a mintage of 12,500?

Yup...wouldn't work.

• Options

Yup...wouldn't work.

Once the limit is reached the mint would reject any additional orders and put you on a waiting list since there will always be cancellations and rejected orders due to bad credit card numbers for examople.

• Options
    ...and when would be the first day you could sign up? You would just be moving the normal release day to that day and changing nothing
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

I got an e-mail last night saying my gold quarter has shipped. image

What was your order number? Mine is still stuck on processing.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I received an email at 9:26 AM on 9/9, with tracking numbers, from the mint. I had a pretty low order number. 043994**

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was mailed out 9/10....#4446xxx ordered at approx 3:30
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Mine is on a truck, should be here Tuesday...

(Shipped 9/9, received e-mail at 9:26am as well, order number USM044007xx.)

Football is back, baby! image
  • Options
    ...and when would be the first day you could sign up? You would just be moving the normal release day to that day and changing nothing

Right. You're just moving the goalposts from one time to another, with the same results and complaints.

(Just had to get that football reference in... image)
  • Options
    Numbers released:
    DateDescNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    9/9/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ47,88401st day sales
    9/11/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ53,37853,378First "official" sales figure
    These will linger until the HHL are lifted...
  • Options

It does look that way. How long before the HH limit is raised?

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Mint waits until the end of the month to raise the limit, that would benefit those who purchased under the single household limit by restricting those purchases to entitlement to "First Strike" or "Early Release" status from the grading companies.

If I recall correctly PCGS requires submission by something like the 27th of September to qualify and I assume NGC has a similar cut off date.
  • Options
    ATS: Medals cut off is 9/22. Liberty gold date not listed yet
  • Options
    Originally posted by: northcoin

If the Mint waits until the end of the month to raise the limit, that would benefit those who purchased under the single household limit by restricting those purchases to entitlement to "First Strike" or "Early Release" status from the grading companies.

If I recall correctly PCGS requires submission by something like the 27th of September to qualify and I assume NGC has a similar cut off date.

There were reports of people getting the coin on 9/9 and/or 9/10 (the ones who paid $20 for shipping), so I'd expect the FS/ER cutoff to be sometime in the second week of October. (The 27th is a bit early. The coin went on sale Sept 8, so plus 30 days would be Oct 8.)

And I agree, if I were the mint (and they should give me the job image) I'd lift the HHL in four weeks (Oct 6?) and hope the coins sell out by November (which I think is when we'll see the WLH go on sale.)

Of course, this is the mint, so my real guess would be the day after Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Personally, I don't think they'll sell 100K regardless of when HHL's are lifted, unless gold spot drops like $500. They might have had a chance if they initially had a HHL of 2, but all the hype for buying this coin is mostly already gone. (Witness the American $1 Coin and Currency Set. 75K product limit, and only they've only sold 39K, mostly due to the initial HHL of 5. The HHL has been lifted, and sales are still stagnant.)
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Just FYI, I had two orders that went direct to Wondercoin, tracking shows they were both delivered today in CA. Order numbers were 4413xxx and 4424xxx. And it was just regular shipping. They both went USPS Priority.

The one I ordered for myself went UPS for some reason, a much lower order number 4402xxx, from what I can tell UPS doesn't even have it yet, it'll be late this week before it gets to me.

The Mint works in mysterious ways.
  • Options
    image[/URL]

image[/URL]
  • Options
    there you go..

Think i'll be sending that bad boy in to PCGS.

• Options
    Dang! That's a beautiful coin!

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    Does it have the edge finning that some of the Mercury's had? It kind of looks like it could in the picture.
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cruisersk1

Does it have the edge finning that some of the Mercury's had? It kind of looks like it could in the picture.

Mine does. It's not as pronounced as on the Merc dimes I saw (4 examples) but it's there just the same. It's not distracting though. Overall, my piece looks extraordinary.
  • Options
    Damn. No finning, but a big rim ding at 6 o'clock on the reverse. Going to have to get a replacement...

Didn't see the ding until I took the pics. Just goes to show you should always photograph your coins. image
  • Options
    BackroadJunkie---Great pics! Am I seeing a belly button on Miss Liberty in your pic or is that another ding?

• Options
    BackroadJunkie---Great pics! Am I seeing a belly button on Miss Liberty in your pic or is that another ding?

LOL. I don't know. It's on the coin, it's in the right place. image

It looks like it appears on other coins, so the mint erased the nipple, but left the belly button. At least we know she wasn't a virgin birth!
  • Options

It looks like it appears on other coins, so the mint erased the nipple, but left the belly button. At least we know she wasn't a virgin birth!

It sure is in the right place. Did Miss Liberty on the original 1916 SLQ have a visible bellybutton?

• Options

It sure is in the right place. Did Miss Liberty on the original 1916 SLQ have a visible bellybutton?

That's a good question. I've looked at several 1916 coins, and yes, it looks like the 1916's did. Some 1917's have a mark there, but it seems completely gone by 1918.

Is there an SLQ expert that can chime in? Type 1 had them, type 2 didn't?
  • Options
    Coinworld has a photo of a production example of the Centennial Half. Production started Sept 9, and they're still striking the coins:

Are you aware the 2016-W Walking Liberty gold half dollars are in production?

No other details announced.
  • Options
    Yep, these'll be around a while...
    DateDescNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    9/9/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ47,88401st day sales
    9/11/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ53,37853,378First "official" sales figure
    9/18/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ54,8761,498
    They should pull the HHL in a week or two. (They *should*. That doesn't mean they will... image)
  • Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Why would those that already bought it to keep it want the HHL raised hoping for a sellout. Wouldn't it be better to have a mintage less than 100K?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JaLP

Why would those that already bought it to keep it want the HHL raised hoping for a sellout. Wouldn't it be better to have a mintage less than 100K?

What's best for the mint? They probably have them already packaged and ready to go. All they have to do is print a shipping label and slap it on the package.

• Options
    Originally posted by: JaLP

Which would be worse?

Having the issue sell out and go away in two months, or have it languish on sale on the website for the next 10-12 months? (I'm sure they don't want to have these tied up in inventory for that long.)

Either way, I still don't think they'll sell all 100K. This coin should have had a mintage of 60-75K with a HHL of 2. I believe this coin will face a slow death like the gold Kennedy...
  • Options
    Coinworld has a photo of a production example of the Centennial Half. Production started Sept 9, and they're still striking the coins:

Are you aware the 2016-W Walking Liberty gold half dollars are in production?

No other details announced.

Thanks for the link....IMHO it looks like they saved the best for last!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm...Me Likey!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The AU, weight & fineness blend in so well on the half I thought they weren't included! Look closely.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file