Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    I am hoping that the 2016-W Walking Liberty 1/2 dollars mintage limit is 25,000. Anything more and I have to think real hard about buying. I didn't but the other two Centennial Gold coins.
    Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jerseyralph

I am hoping that the 2016-W Walking Liberty 1/2 dollars mintage limit is 25,000. Anything more and I have to think real hard about buying. I didn't but the other two Centennial Gold coins.

I'm sure the mintage will be much lower since the mint is having trouble selling out the gold SLQ and the price of the gold WLH will be much higher which means the number of collectors that can afford it will be much less especially considering it will go on sale just before Christmas when many budgets are stretched thin. I'm guessing this coin will be close to $900 which is well above what most collectors can afford.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my one household limit with a fifth grandchild on the way image
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    What is going on with the shipping?

My coin still shows as "processing".

USM04436---
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I sent my SLQ back. It definitely wasn't a 70 due to a small tick on the front that was very noticeable so I decided to just return it. No money in flipping these. I'm going to wait and see what the mintage limit is on the walker. If it's low I might get one, if not I'll pass.
    GMan
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Word is out that household limits will be removed on the SLQ tomorrow, Sept 21.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the mintage on the next one needs to be 25,000 or less, hopefully they learned their lesson on this last one.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: HalfStrike

Yes, the mintage on the next one needs to be 25,000 or less, hopefully they learned their lesson on this last one.

With the Mercury at 125,000 and the SLQ at 100,000 there's no way the half will come in under 50,000. I'd wager a mintage of 75,000 myself.

When the mint decides to unload the remaining SLQ they will raise the household limit to 5 or 10 and they'll be gone in 24 hours or less.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted one of the mercs, but when the time came to keep or sell what I had ordered, I decided to sell (the mushiness of the design, and having money tied up in something that I was starting NOT to like, kept me from keeping it. I sold).

Then, the SLQ golds came out. I bought one but, again, as the time came almost up to the order, I sold. Just wasn't there for me. I really, really, REALLY wanted it to be, but it wasn't.

Maybe I will get one when the HHLs come...who knows? Depends on the price and, well, I still probably won't.

Now, the half is coming out. Looks interesting. Design looks there. Maybe I will get/keep this one?

For flipping, there isn't a lot of meat on the bone, so, to me, it is more about the design and wanting to keep it.

If they had done silver, and the correct size, I would have kept a set. In gold, with the extra they are charging, well, not as much of a fan....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup...HH limits removed
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BigA

Yup...HH limits removed

Where did you see this? I just checked the U S Mint web site and the HHL is still 1.

• Options
    Coin News yesterday...probably won't happen until noon

Ordering restrictions for the 2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial Gold Coin will be lifted Wednesday, Sept. 21, the United States Mint said today in an email notice to news editors.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BigA

Coin News yesterday...probably won't happen until noon

Ordering restrictions for the 2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial Gold Coin will be lifted Wednesday, Sept. 21, the United States Mint said today in an email notice to news editors.

What is "Coin News"? Did you mean Coin World or Numismatic News?

• Options
    Nope...I meant Coin News

Coin News
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    Word is out that household limits will be removed on the SLQ tomorrow, Sept 21.

They're gone.

Mintage Limit: 100,000
    Product Limit: None
    Household Order Limit: None
  • Options
    GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Confirmed. Allows you to increase qty now.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got an email from the Mint listing the limit.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Coins will go nowhere in value, but these are collector, not investment coins. I will keep all three in OGP.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold mercs have a weird thing going on at ebay - the graded ones seem to be settling in the $240-260 range, while the mint packaging ones are selling for $265-280.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 3stars
    The gold mercs have a weird thing going on at ebay - the graded ones seem to be settling in the $240-260 range, while the mint packaging ones are selling for $265-280.

Some may hope they have a better chance at a 'clean' strike over the 70's that appear, from reports, to be lacking in 70 quality.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

With the Mercury at 125,000 and the SLQ at 100,000 there's no way the half will come in under 50,000. I'd wager a mintage of 75,000 myself.

When the mint decides to unload the remaining SLQ they will raise the household limit to 5 or 10 and they'll be gone in 24 hours or less.

The mint just removed any household limits. I guess the telemarketers will be buying a bunch to sell to non-coin collectors as investments and as Christmas gifts.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how this will affect the mintage of the halfs.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

The mint just removed any household limits. I guess the telemarketers will be buying a bunch to sell to non-coin collectors as investments and as Christmas gifts.

Yep, telemarketers, big bullion houses, large modern dealers, etc. The remaining ~50k or so should be gone this week.

On to the half! Saving the best for last.

• Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

Yep, telemarketers, big bullion houses, large modern dealers, etc. The remaining ~50k or so should be gone this week.

On to the half! Saving the best for last.

They're throwing the big buyers a bone by removing the limits while they're still FS/ER eligible. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Raufus
    I wonder how this will affect the mintage of the halfs.

Quite possibly, none.

They started minting the WLH on Sept. 9, so they must already had a mintage number before the SLQ sales slowed. (The SLQ went on sale Sept. 8.)

Of course, someone could have gone running into the machine rooms yelling and screaming to stop the presses after the first week...

(I suspect the Mint will do something like the SLQ to insure everyone who wants one gets one, (and discourage the flippers), then open sales to satisfy those who want more than one. 60 to 75K?)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pitboss
    What is going on with the shipping?

My coin still shows as "processing".

USM04436---

When did you order? (44336xx, late on the first day?)

You might want to call the mint and ask what's up. I got mine, sent it back because of a defect, and the replacement is already on its way.

Right now, things are getting caught up in the Silver Eagle rush. (I got my shipping notice for my proofs on Saturday, but it didn't get to FedEx until Wednesday. As in yesterday.)

• Options
    Amazing how fortunate some large submitters are...

I noticed several listings from this company on Feebay.

They note which number coin from the submission that each auction is for. I see that numbers 1 - 7 of this submission is all 70s. What luck.... all of the benes for the big submitters sure are nice..
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raufus
    Amazing how fortunate some large submitters are...

I noticed several listings from this company on Feebay.

They note which number coin from the submission that each auction is for. I see that numbers 1 - 7 of this submission is all 70s. What luck.... all of the benes for the big submitters sure are nice..

This guy isn't that big a player...but let's just say some tpgs tend to be looser with handing out 70 grades on moderns.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am always in the market for Gold NGC 70's at spot or mint cost, or below!

To me they represent a 69, in reality.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Got swamped at work and finally opened mine to find a big 'ol blemish on it.

Boo.

• Options
    With HHL lifted, big sales jump, but there are still 24-25K left...
    DateDescNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    9/9/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ47,88401st day sales
    9/11/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ53,37853,378First "official" sales figure
    9/18/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ54,8761,498
    9/25/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ75,33820,462
    I still don't think these will sell all 100K...
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

With HHL lifted, big sales jump, but there are still 24-25K left...

I still don't think these will sell all 100K...

Might get another (smaller) sales bump when the 1/2 oz Walker is released.

And again for the end-of-year holidays.

But my crystal ball agrees that a sellout is unlikely -- especially if there's a price increase due to rising spot gold.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Opened my SLQ and it looked flawless. Will keep it raw with the mercury.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got my SLQ today. It took ages to ship.

On a positive note, it looks like a keeper:

• Options
    Great pics. This is a fantastic looking coin.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BryceM
    Finally got my SLQ today. It took ages to ship.

On a positive note, it looks like a keeper:

Definitely! Now if they only came in that size. image
  • Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    Possible price drop this week? It looks like with gold's drop it will be $472.50.
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Just got my two back from PCGS... SP70 both! I'm happy... beautiful coin, but couldn't they have come out with a Silver UNC and/or PR?
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Schmitz7

Possible price drop this week? It looks like with gold's drop it will be $472.50.

These could drop to $460 very easily (under $1250 Au ave).

That Au price puts the 1/2oz Walkers at $865. I'm hoping for $840!!

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any Standing Lib ordered tomorrow will not have FS status....
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know how to find out the amout sold so far for the gold mercury and standing liberty quarter
  • Options
    Walker is set for sale on November 17.

No other details yet...

If gold spot is between $1200 and $1249, the cost will be $865.
    If gold spot is between $1250 and $1299, the cost will be $890.
    If gold spot is between $1300 and $1349, the cost will be $915.

(Edited to list possible prices...)
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Obiwancanoli
    but couldn't they have come out with a Silver UNC and/or PR?

Not without an Act of Congress.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: alohagary
    Anyone know how to find out the amout sold so far for the gold mercury and standing liberty quarter

Yes, search through this thread. image (I didn't post this week's update yet, though...)
    DateDescNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    9/9/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ47,88401st day sales
    9/11/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ53,37853,378First "official" sales figure
    9/18/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ54,8761,498
    9/25/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ75,33820,462HHL Lifted
    10/2/20162016 STANDING LIBERTY 24K GOLD .25OZ79,3674,029
    The dime has been stable at 116K for months now. No word from the mint that they'll do with all their overages. The dime, the American Liberty Medals, the APE are all in limbo. Black Friday?
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    1,000!!!
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: alohagary

Yes, search through this thread. image ...

The dime has been stable at 116K for months now. No word from the mint what they'll do with all their overages...

Maybe a specially-packaged Centennial Set -- with all 3 coins (dime, quarter & half).

In time for Xmas?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    What price point?
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I read that the Mint's bullion price tables were being used for the Centennial coins, but I can't find the reference now.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file