Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, the PCGS CoinFacts do not have a die variety for fin error on this that I can see. Plenty of other label options. You need to click on the show all related coins and varieties link to see all the options.

Die varieties (labels) Mercury gold
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    I got in my box of 10 last Friday, kept one, had pre-sold the other nine on Ebay, so sent them all out. Only one coin had an obvious flaw. But all of them had the finning from what I could tell. Doesn't seem like much of an error if my 10 coins is any indication. The one I kept is the only one I took out of the capsule, it has finning on both sides like the one pictured in earlier posts.

I would prefer one without finning, that may be the rarer coin.
  • Options
    If 80% of the coins are minted with finned rims, and 20% don't have the finning, is the real error that the Mint somehow managed to mint 20% of them right?
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the editors over at coinworld got a better shot of the SLQ at CSNS. Looks pretty good...

Gold Standing Liberty quarter at CSNS convention

Image slightly enhanced for clarity...

Edit: link and enhanced image added...
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely looking forward to the SLQ. Looks to be the best of the three though I do like the dime.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had several order in to different households. I THINK one just shipped today... I was thinking it was going to be canceled.
  • Options
    I have my SP70 in hand and under a 6x glass there is some finning on both sides of the coin, and in my example is visible all 360 degrees, just a bit higher in spots. The finning does get smashed if it is thin and extended when they put them into the slabs. On a couple tabs the reeded edge does not show up the same as some fin has folded over as .9999 gold is really soft.

However, I looked at my 2008 Buffalo $5 gold .9999 fine, 24 karat, and it is not like this at all. A very tiny section on one side had something like this, but not really noticeable overall. And as far as bands go the top and middle band separation is not there at all, not even a hint; the bottom band has a hint, but not full.

So the mint did something different with these than in 2008. I am guessing they did not adjust the pressure down from what they used for the eagles at 91.67% or 22 karat gold which are harder and there was no one really looking at the results? That is speculation on my part, but they are two completely different results. To me poor quality control is not really an error, but just lack of adult supervision.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the SLQ. Looks like Liberty's breast is Type 1, as well.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

To me poor quality control is not really an error, but just lack of adult supervision.

In my opinion poor quality control is exactly what makes all error coins. Minus of course the ones struck intentionally by shady mint employees.

This is an error in minting IMO. Now whether or not anyone gives a hoot or whether or not it should carry a premium or actually detract from value is a whole other argument.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldminers
    I have my SP70 in hand and under a 6x glass there is some finning on both sides of the coin, and in my example is visible all 360 degrees, just a bit higher in spots. The finning does get smashed if it is thin and extended when they put them into the slabs. On a couple tabs the reeded edge does not show up the same as some fin has folded over as .9999 gold is really soft.

Serious q.

What about the pcgs grade guarantee? It's not ms70 now.
  • Options
    This is copied from another post. with minor edits.

I have my PCGS SP70 and have studied it very carefully, and I believe PCGS did correctly grade it to be a SP70, "fully as struck". Clearly it was a nice strike and had no defects except for finning. Actually it is a super strike, so hard that it made fins all around to various degrees.

By definition, an "error" is supposed to be something done by mistake. In this case, since so many coins (if not all of them under magnification) have this result, it is doubtful that it is a Mint error in the pure sense, but simply the Mint has lowered their standards. PCGS is grading these as they see them based if they are "fully as struck" and looking for defects if they find any, and I have no argument with the grade and their decision to slab them as well as they can under the circumstances.

I could not care less about a grade guarantee as the coin is staying in the slab and basically there is no good way to slab something with tall fins. PCGS is following their grading standards; it is the Mint who is at fault here for such poor quality control of their strikes.

Edited to include PCGS grading standards:

MS/PR-69 Virtually as struck with minuscule imperfections, near full strike necessary
    MS/PR-70 As struck, with full strike
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS POPULATION UPDATE

PCGS pop is heading toward 2,000 70's already. Population will probably top 10,000 70's from all TPG's combined.

Most likely heading for a major price decline as supply will most likely exceed demand.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Looking at the standing liberty gold pics. There is finning on that coin as well. Can't the mint make a good strike on these gold coins?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    PCGS FS MS 70s are falling in price slightly. Lowest I've seen on ebay is $359.42.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Lowest I've seen on ebay is $359.42."

GO JUSTIN!

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to get a First Strike on a 30th Anniversary OGH label? That would be pretty cool.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Zoins
    Is it possible to get a First Strike on a 30th Anniversary OGH label? That would be pretty cool.

Just ran across this so it seems like it's possible:

• Options
    Originally posted by: pf70collector
    PCGS FS MS 70s are falling in price slightly. Lowest I've seen on ebay is $359.42.

I bought my 70 first strike pcgs on ebay for $350. I saw one the other night at $336, but that was not normal, and they went back up slightly after that.
    link to ebay sell
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are still fixating on the immediate drop.

Happens practically every time though. "Hot" new issue comes out. Pre-sellers sell for higher profit, coins get in-hand for some folks, and prices go up again.

Once they get in more hands, prices go down.

Now, sometimes, after that initial wave, prices continue down but sometimes they go back up for awhile.

Will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Originally posted by: jwitten
    Originally posted by: pf70collector

I bought my 70 first strike pcgs on ebay for $350. I saw one the other night at $336, but that was not normal, and they went back up slightly after that.
    link to ebay sell

I am not following the auctions. Just the BINs. The auctions are usually are lower than the BINs sometimes.

I may buy a FS PCSG MS 70 and just keep my sealed boxes for a while. Just seeing how low the 70s will go. I am in no rush. It also looks like there will be no Proof Likes.
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    After 2 failed delivery attempts I had to reroute my box of 10 to the UPS facility; I picked it up today and was disappointed to find one side of the tape seal is broken. What's the right play here? Are these worth submitting for 1st strike designation, or should I just forget about that? your opinions are appreciated, feel free to PM.
    Dan
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: nycounsel

After 2 failed delivery attempts I had to reroute my box of 10 to the UPS facility; I picked it up today and was disappointed to find one side of the tape seal is broken. What's the right play here? Are these worth submitting for 1st strike designation, or should I just forget about that? your opinions are appreciated, feel free to PM.

If you are going to have them graded then it is worth paying for the First Strike designation IMO. You still have 10 days to the FS cut-off date so time is available to decide.

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    As far as submitting for FS status. If you're selling soon then the coins that go FS70s will likely be worth the extra cost. If you're holding them long term, then I think with time there won't be much premium because there will be tons of FS coins.( see 2011-P rev pr70 ASE current prices) unfortunately FS 69s are likely losses - very few are selling on eBay(18 so far) At auction they're now closing at almost the same price as OGP coins. So hopefully your box of ten gets a bunch of 70s
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My self serving opinion .... Put them in the mail to me at $2,250 tomorrow morning, bank the $150 - $175 clear profit after shipping as well as the credit card points worth about $40. Take the roughly 10% total return in a week (about 520% return on an annual basis if my math is right) and move on image

That price only good right now.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: wondercoin
    My self serving opinion .... Put them in the mail to me at $2,250 tomorrow morning, bank the $150 - $175 clear profit after shipping as well as the credit card points worth about $40. Take the roughly 10% total return in a week (about 520% return on an annual basis if my math is right) and move on image

That price only good right now.

Wondercoin.

Good price .....more than B&Ms

• Options
    PCGS POPULATION UPDATE

PCGS pop has passed 3,000 70's already. Population will probably top 10,000 70's from all TPG's combined.

Mint sales revised down to 118,741 as of May 8. Now over 6,000 to sell with most being returns

that did not or could not grade 70
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Only purchased two. Sent them to PCGS without opening the box and both came back as 70s. Pretty happy with that. Going to give one to my grandpa.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PaleElf

Only purchased two. Sent them to PCGS without opening the box and both came back as 70s. Pretty happy with that. Going to give one to my grandpa.

Congrats! I'd love to see the "real" numbers but it appears this issue is generating a very high percentage of 70s. Makes me wonder what would happen if the entire 125k mintage was submitted straight from the mint? 60k, 70k, 80k in 70s???

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call me old fashioned, but I'm happy to have just received my nice classic style coins at issue price.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: HATTRICK
    PCGS POPULATION UPDATE

PCGS pop is heading toward 3,000 70's already. Population will probably top 10,000 70's from all TPG's combined.

Mint sales revised down to 118,741 as of May 8. Now over 6,000 to sell with most being returns
    that did not or could not grade 70

The mint stated last week that they had 5100 from the original offering, so 900 are probably returns of the 6000 left to sell.
  • Options
    From the mint news blog 5/6/16:

In other news, the sales total for the 2016 Mercury Dime Centennial Gold Coin keeps creeping downward. Michael White of the Mint’s Office of Corporate Communications reported to MNB that the current figure stands at 119,209, marking a decrease of 711 coins since Sunday evening.

It may not be a huge adjustment, but it’s the third negative correction we’ve reported since getting our first official sales total for the item on April 26. The number has fallen 3,301 units since then and now shows room for as many as 5,791 Gold Mercury Dimes to be sold by the Mint before hitting the issue’s 125,000-piece mintage limit.

The changes are likely the result of customer returns and corrections necessitated by the Mint’s continuing audits of its inventory. As noted previously, all 125,000 Gold Mercury Dimes have been struck. Tom Jurkowsky, Director of the Mint’s Office of Corporate Communications, has stated that the Mint’s goal is to sell as many of them as possible, meaning the lower sales total could make future gold dime sales more likely.

pf70collector,

Would you please show us where the mint said 5,100 were from the initial offering.

Thanks,
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    There are almost 5100 in inventory now...
    DateDescNumber soldNet Increase
    4/24/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)122,510122,510
    5/1/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)119,920-2,590
    Still no word from the mint on redistribution. I assume they'll wait another week to let any other problems settle out...

Edit to say: Wow. 1000th post. I spend way too much time here. image

5100 was from the above post. I was stating that not all were returns, some were from cancellations, credit card rejections, and yes returns as the article states.
  • Options
    Every day it seems that I get an email from another dealer offering this issue. I don't recall any issue that was as widely peddled by so many dealers. Despite this, when I was looking to sell some of mine sealed there were very few buyers out of the many dealers that I called. It will be very interesting to see where these are in a year and farther out.

I do like the dimes and look forward to the other two. Hopefully a LOT of others will feel the same...
  • Options
    Never did post this week's numbers...
    5/8/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)118,741-1,179

Around 6,200 now. They'll definitely have 5000+ on sale when they decide what to do with them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie

Never did post this week's numbers...

Around 6,200 now. They'll definitely have 5000+ on sale when they decide what to do with them.

Wonder how many of those may go out as replacements?

I'm not sure how they handle that these days.....do they do them immediately or do they wait, and visually check out returns, before sending out replacements....?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    pf70collector and Bochiman,

Who knows what the mint does with returns or what makes up the returns, cancellations

ect. numbers. Sometimes I wonder if the Mint even knows. Even if they do they never say.

It' just one of life's mysteries.image
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I decided to take one of my mercs out and sure enough, I have some finning as well. It is already "sold" on ebay, or I MIGHT see if it could grade as an error. Any chance it would?

I agree, jwitten, that your pics are incredibly detailed.

Well done, and I would instantly recognize these as YOUR work.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits
    I decided to take one of my mercs out and sure enough, I have some finning as well. It is already "sold" on ebay, or I MIGHT see if it could grade as an error. Any chance it would?

I agree, jwitten, that your pics are incredibly detailed.

Well done, and I would instantly recognize these as YOUR work.

Thank you. I just discovered a few sellers (including forum member GRANDAM) have been stealing and using my pics. Kinda annoying. And yes, I publicly called him out, because I think that is pretty misleading to customers who are not receiving the actual coin in the pics.
  • Options
    Merc Gold Prices steady to down $10 on strong ebay sales ..looks like Mint left money on the table by not boosting mintage.. listings up over 500 on Ebay to near 1000 .....since April 25 ..Those looking to buy .. be patient and wait

Listings now near a 1000 ...a spike down in gold price will deflate premium
  • Options
    10 lot of Merc gold sold on Ebay for $2,350 Thursday
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    i calculated it needed $240 to break even selling on eBay.

• Options
    Originally posted by: goldbuffalo

For a "normal" ebayer, right?

Some get the 20% discounts or maybe even better (if they are the big guys...like Apmex, etc), I believe.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows what the mint does with returns or what makes up the returns, cancellations

ect. numbers. Sometimes I wonder if the Mint even knows. Even if they do they never say.

It' just one of life's mysteries.

+1, lol

I'm thinking of taking a Dremel and seeing if I can correct the finned edges myself. I could sell the "gold dust" on ebay!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BarberJ
    Looking at the standing liberty gold pics. There is finning on that coin as well. Can't the mint make a good strike on these gold coins?

I'm thinking the "Finning", is due to improper pressure being applied to 0.9999 Gold. Too Soft.

I wonder, if they used the 90% gold planchet, if the finning would be as excessive as it seems.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

Some get the 20% discounts or maybe even better (if they are the big guys...like Apmex, etc), I believe.

I do have a store and a store gets a lower FVF on gold, plus some other categories. There is a yearly/monthly fee, so it has to work out. You really don't have to sell to much to have the store pay off.

As for the big boys, i'm sure they get discounts. They also get PCGS discounts. To grade with FS is about $50 per coin for me, including shipping, etc. I'd be in for $290 per coin if i had PCGS grade them. Even if i had 50% 70's i can't make that work, 69's would kill me.

I sent in 4 of my best, hope they are 70's. Those will be for me.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

I do have a store and a store gets a lower FVF on gold, plus some other categories. There is a yearly/monthly fee, so it has to work out. You really don't have to sell to much to have the store pay off.

As for the big boys, i'm sure they get discounts. They also get PCGS discounts. To grade with FS is about $50 per coin for me, including shipping, etc. I'd be in for $290 per coin if i had PCGS grade them. Even if i had 50% 70's i can't make that work, 69's would kill me.

I sent in 4 of my best, hope they are 70's. Those will be for me.

No question that a store is the way to go on Feebay when selling hundreds+ dollars worth of coins. . When I have coins to sell I open a store on a monthly basis. I think it costs $19/month. When I'm done I close the store. It's of course key to remember to close the store when you are done selling or u keep on paying $19.

No question that the big players get very substantial discounts on TPG fees as well as very substantial other perks that regular collectors don't.

They, and anyone who sells enough, can apply to PayPal for fee discounts as well.

• Options
    This is getting interesting. image
    5/8/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)118,741-1,179
    5/15/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)117,695-1,046
    I think it's safe to say that the thousand coins returned are not from failed credit cards, duplicate addresses or cancellations from those who were on backorder. (The 1179 number may be in question, too, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt... Heh.)

So there could be up to 7,000 or so coins available, more than last years plat proof... image It'll be interesting to see how many actually go back on sale...

Mint's lips are still sealed on what they're going to do with them.

My wag is hh limit of one, unavailable to those who already ordered the max of 10.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard an unreliable rumor that in order to double the remaining mintage, they are going to melt them down into 1/20 ouncers with full bell lines, then place them into Mint flips.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52

It' just one of life's mysteries.

+1, lol

I'm thinking of taking a Dremel and seeing if I can correct the finned edges myself. I could sell the "gold dust" on ebay!

So long as you have the capsule open, it should be pretty easy to enhance those split bands...
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits
    I heard an unreliable rumor that in order to double the remaining mintage, they are going to melt them down into 1/20 ouncers with full bell lines, then place them into Mint flips.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file