Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Onedollarnohollar
    Forgive me if I missed this from earlier posts but do these need to be sent in to PCGS still packaged in the original, unopened, mint shipping box for them to qualify for first strike designation or are they all first strike eligible since they sold out within 45 minutes and can be sent in individually once you have a chance to inspect them and cherry pick the best for grading? Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, they just need to submitted within the 30 day window after the initial release date. Someone will correct me if wrong.

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Got my box of nine last night. I had sold eight on EBay, so I looked at them all.
    Quality seemed pretty consistent.
    Most or all had the finning, but I didn't open the capsules.
    I liked it, but it sure is small.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kookoox10

Forgive me if I missed this from earlier posts but do these need to be sent in to PCGS still packaged in the original, unopened, mint shipping box for them to qualify for first strike designation or are they all first strike eligible since they sold out within 45 minutes and can be sent in individually once you have a chance to inspect them and cherry pick the best for grading? Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, they just need to submitted within the 30 day window after the initial release date. Someone will correct me if wrong.

Yes if submitted in the first 30 days, in this case by May 19th, they do not need to be in sealed box.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

Originally posted by: kookoox10

Yes if submitted in the first 30 days, in this case by May 19th, they do not need to be in sealed box.

A slight correction; the cut off date if not sent in a sealed original mint shipped box is Sunday, May 22

Being closed on a Sunday, the actual date could be Saturday, May 21st if they get a delivery or pick up the mail at the post office. To be safe I'd make sure your coins would arrive at the Newport Beach PO the 20th or better yet, as stated by VanHalen, the 19th.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Coin World Online story says Mint has about 3,800 pieces unsold due to credit card failures, returns, etc. Also explains why the bands are so crappy:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/...n-min-inventory.2.html

TD

Sufficient orders were received April 21 for the 125,000 2016-W Winged Liberty Head Centennial gold dimes, but cancellations and returns left nearly 3,800 coins for U.S. Mint officials to wrestle with how to fairly distribute.

Can't wait to see what the mint thinks is fair distribution. Don't they have a waiting list?
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: hchcoin
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Coin World Online story says Mint has about 3,800 pieces unsold due to credit card failures, returns, etc. Also explains why the bands are so crappy:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/...n-min-inventory.2.html

TD

Sufficient orders were received April 21 for the 125,000 2016-W Winged Liberty Head Centennial gold dimes, but cancellations and returns left nearly 3,800 coins for U.S. Mint officials to wrestle with how to fairly distribute.

Can't wait to see what the mint thinks is fair distribution. Don't they have a waiting list?

How about 1 per and no previous order from the account
    ?
    That would seem very fair

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Nice pic, with all of the sniveling about the coin, including myself, that's a pretty nice looking coin after all is said.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does look nice. Looking forward to seeing mine sometime.

I think that there will be a lot more returns. Will be interesting to see how the Mint distributes those.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bluelobster
    Nice pic, with all of the sniveling about the coin, including myself, that's a pretty nice looking coin after all is said.

There's a clear hint of band separation, as seen in the ATS photo. What I find interesting is that the peripheral lettering on both sides of the coin is fully struck up -- something that's lacking in many a FB Merc.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: planetsteve
    Originally posted by: bluelobster

There's a clear hint of band separation, as seen in the ATS photo. What I find interesting is that the peripheral lettering on both sides of the coin is fully struck up -- something that's lacking in many a FB Merc.

Well, yes there is a hint of FB, but this is what real ones in the center look like. So I will keep snivelingimage

• Options
    Originally posted by: GRANDAM
    So is a coin with this "finning" worth keeping or should it be returned to get your money back?

Will PCGS grade such a coin MS69 or MS70?

That is a good question and I don't know the answer either and I also would like to know what PCGS thinks. I have sent coins in with a very small defect on the rim that you need a magnifying glass to see and ended up withy 69's. I would be surprised if any came back 70, but then again there seem to be a lot of finning examples being mentioned, so maybe if it isn't much it would pass? I am waiting the a 70 I bought to arrive tomorrow and I will check it carefully to see if any finning is on it.
  • Options
    reddwingreddwing Posts: 137 ✭✭
    I called the mint a couple of times about this. They informed me that interested buyers will receive an email notifying them as to when the remaining centennial gold coins will go on sale. Other folks on this board have mentioned that there may be an early sale on the mint site but mint personnel were adamant that an email to interested buyers would be sent out first. I cannot believe how sloppy the mint is about this and why a more formal statement has not been made about availability of the remaining coins.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: reddwing
    I called the mint a couple of times about this. They informed me that interested buyers will receive an email notifying them as to when the remaining centennial gold coins will go on sale. Other folks on this board have mentioned that there may be an early sale on the mint site but mint personnel were adamant that an email to interested buyers would be sent out first. I cannot believe how sloppy the mint is about this and why a more formal statement has not been made about availability of the remaining coins.

Ok, so how do they determine who are "interested buyers?"

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    reddwingreddwing Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Send a response to the US Mint that you are interested and provide your email address. This is plainly on the US Mint web site.
  • Options
    Looked at my order of 10 today, small but very nice. I have 4 or 5 of them with the finned rims too. Speaking of the rims, looks like it will be hard finding a gold Mercury that has nice rims with no pitting. I noticed pitting on the d in United States on the reverse on 2 of the coins I recieved as well.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What have people found to be the best method to ship these to someone else? (Ie...not a TPGS)

In the original box?

Taken out of the original box, will they fit in any of the flat rates from the USPS?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    I just sent out nine of these on Saturday, they fit pretty nice in a Small Flat Rate box, costs $6.10 through Ebay to ship. Most were delivered today, already getting positive feedback.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bigole

I just sent out nine of these on Saturday, they fit pretty nice in a Small Flat Rate box, costs $6.10 through Ebay to ship. Most were delivered today, already getting positive feedback.

Thank you.

I have 10 to send out in full OGP and I don't think a small flat rate works, but it does appear a medium flat rate does, once taken out of the shipping box.

Appreciate it as my buyer said it was ok to do so now.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just received mine. 3 of the ten have obvious, serious finish flaws on the raised portions of the column device on the reverse. Ouch. I think that 4 of the 10 are very clean. Some substantial packaging for these little coins - much like the 1/10 08 buffs. Nice looking little coins. Looking forward to the next two. Not looking so much forward to the likely ordering nightmare that they will be on the Mint's site...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will probably go on sale after the price increase tomorrow.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Just checked and now over 700 current eBay listings for Mercury dime gold. At 10% profit from of all these sales (over 1100 sold listings), I think the big winner is eBay. May decide to buy eBay shares along with PCGS (CLCT) to make money on this one and the next two.

Edited to add PCGS pops now at 280 -70's, and 51 -69's. It does appear that many are being searched first to submit only the better ones, based on some of the finish/finning issues reported.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    My coins are due to arrive (finally) today. Can someone post a picture of the "finning" that is being reported? Thanks
  • Options

My coins are due to arrive (finally) today. Can someone post a picture of the "finning" that is being reported? Thanks

Just go to a previous page or two (depending on your settings) and look for Jwitten's post.

He already posted a picture of it a couple of days ago.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

Just checked and now over 700 current eBay listings for Mercury dime gold. At 10% profit from of all these sales (over 1100 sold listings), I think the big winner is eBay. May decide to buy eBay shares along with PCGS (CLCT) to make money on this one and the next two.

Edited to add PCGS pops now at 280 -70's, and 51 -69's. It does appear that many are being searched first to submit only the better ones, based on some of the finish/finning issues reported.

Most are being prescreened for sure. In fact it's possible all submitted thus far have been but I still believe we're at a 50% "70 rate" straight from the mint.

If the SLQ comes in that high and gold stays solid? Yee Haw! I bet the household limit on the quarter will be 2 pieces though.

• Options
    The 2016 SLB quarter ounce gold (approx. $325 melt), the Mint will probably add their margins and costs and sell them for around $499 I am estimating at this stage. That will slow up quite a few
    buyers as $205 was a lot easier to get some extras to many. However, considering the Mint did well with the Mercury, profit wise, they may go open ended on mintages and even house hold limits, which could really hurt the flipping scenario, but generate more money for them.

That could really mess things up, and I don't give it a high probability, but not impossible. Or they may just set a high mintage again, like 100,000 and even that would be a little harder to sell out as quite fast, maybe in 2 or 3 hours, LOL. They did manage to sell about 75,000 3/4 ounce Kennedy golds at $1200 Plus, and I think the HH limits were five, so they may not drop to 2 per HH, as their goal may be to sell a lot and make money and not worry about the aftermath in the flipping or collecting world. I am guessing an HH limit of 5, but with risk of them increasing the total mintage if it looks like they sell too fast and they feel more profits are possible.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2016 SLB quarter ounce gold (approx. $325 melt), the Mint will probably add their margins and costs and sell them for around $499...

Your estimate is close... https://s3.amazonaws.com/publi...ter.gov/2016-08702.pdf

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    Originally posted by: COCollector
    The 2016 SLB quarter ounce gold (approx. $325 melt), the Mint will probably add their margins and costs and sell them for around $499...

Your estimate is close... https://s3.amazonaws.com/publi...ter.gov/2016-08702.pdf

Thanks for the linkimage. I was not aware of it. Any news on planned mintages yet anywhere?
  • Options
    I'm not seeing a whole lot of profit on the Mercury dimes, preflippers and graded coins excluded.

Looks to me like they are "tanking" and the # of listings is greater than any other I can remember, at least in the last 10 years. Bottom # today is $265, less fees and costs that's what

$40 bucks....?? I'd expect a further decline in the #'s on these.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2016 SLB quarter ounce gold (approx. $325 melt), the Mint will probably add their margins and costs and sell them for around $499 I am estimating at this stage.

In regards to margins and costs, I did this when they first published the pricing schedule to find out what the actual $/oz was. (Didn't post it though, it gets into really geeky territory. But, hey, I'm doing backups and I'm bored right now...)

The analysis basically takes the price of the product, subtracts the cost of the packaging, then adjusts that net price to an ounce of gold. There are two price points for the packaging that make sense.
    sizeprice @$1200/ozPackagingprice - pkgcoins/ozcost/oz
    1/10 oz$205$35$170x10$1,700
    1/4 oz$460$35$425x4$1,700
    1/2oz$865$35$830x2$1,660
    1/10 oz$205$40$165x10$1,650
    1/4 oz$460$40$420x4$1,680
    1/2oz$865$40$825x2$1,650
    So for those wondering what the packaging costs, and the true markup of the gold within, if the packaging costs $35 then the mint is charging about $1700/ozt. On the high side, if the packaging costs $40 then the mint is charging $1650/ozt. I am more willing to accept the $40 numbers, since a similar anomaly occurs with the .25ozt proof AGE and its packaging.

While the $35-$40 might seem high for the packaging, it also includes the labor to put the capsule in the display box and the outer packaging. Well, yeah, even with that in mind, it still seems high...
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Just received my box of five this afternoon...listed the mint sealed box on the bay and sold it within an hour...shipping tomorrow. see you on the gold quarter thread...
  • Options

Just received my box of five this afternoon...listed the mint sealed box on the bay and sold it within an hour...shipping tomorrow. see you on the gold quarter thread...

Good for you. Seriously. It's nice to get something in, and out, so quickly.

How much did you put it up for? I believe I undersold mine, but I sold it to someone I know, off of ebay, and know I won't have any headaches. May he get 10 PCGS 70s out of it, then it will definitely be a win-win image

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Now listed at $210 each on the Mint's web site....still unavailable however.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    Plan to buy 4 each of quarter and half
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JCLIGHTBRIGADE
    I'm not seeing a whole lot of profit on the Mercury dimes, preflippers and graded coins excluded.

Looks to me like they are "tanking" and the # of listings is greater than any other I can remember, at least in the last 10 years. Bottom # today is $265, less fees and costs that's what

$40 bucks....??
    I'd expect a further decline in the #'s on these.

Listings up nearly 300 over April 25 on Ebay .... however, prices have been steady to down only $ 15 bucks .. over 100 sales each day .. Ebay is the winner
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    The 2016 SLB quarter ounce gold (approx. $325 melt), the Mint will probably add their margins and costs and sell them for around $499 I am estimating at this stage.

In regards to margins and costs, I did this when they first published the pricing schedule to find out what the actual $/oz was. (Didn't post it though, it gets into really geeky territory. But, hey, I'm doing backups and I'm bored right now...)

The analysis basically takes the price of the product, subtracts the cost of the packaging, then adjusts that net price to an ounce of gold. There are two price points for the packaging that make sense.
    1/2oz$865$35$830x2$1,660
    1/2oz$865$40$825x2$1,650
    So for those wondering what the packaging costs, and the true markup of the gold within, if the packaging costs $35 then the mint is charging about $1700/ozt. On the high side, if the packaging costs $40 then the mint is charging $1650/ozt. I am more willing to accept the $40 numbers, since a similar anomaly occurs with the .25ozt proof AGE and its packaging.

While the $35-$40 might seem high for the packaging, it also includes the labor to put the capsule in the display box and the outer packaging. Well, yeah, even with that in mind, it still seems high...

Packaging cost too high..... doubt Mint would spend that much on a $200 coin
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    No matter what anyone says as a merc fan these sure do look nice.

What I do find upsetting is quality control. What the mint charged for these they should no have the rim issues....

Edited to add: I have no seen one in hand yet but from what is being posted the rims look nasty.
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

Good for you. Seriously. It's nice to get something in, and out, so quickly.

How much did you put it up for? I believe I undersold mine, but I sold it to someone I know, off of ebay, and know I won't have any headaches. May he get 10 PCGS 70s out of it, then it will definitely be a win-win image

Same here. Mine were sold before I ordered them for a no hassle deal with all shipping costs paid and a reasonable profit. I bet there's around 50% 70s in the box and needs to be for the buyer to make a good profit too.

FYI: My second (and final) box arrived last night and shipped off this afternoon.

• Options
    So have any major grading companies answered any of the grading questions with the finning? My box of 10 and four finned gold Mercury dimes. Some where finned on the obverse some the reverse. One had finning on both the obverse and reverse.
  • Options
    Hey 2 eBay listings sold finned mercs for over $400. One at like $475, hmmm, very interesting.
  • Options
    What year was the sliver eagle mint error made? 2008 or 2009? Wasn't there around 20,000? They sold for a nice premium if I remember right.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I made a mistake, a finned edge sold for $581 on a auction tonight.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Apparently, PCGS can grade these finned edge MS 70. Though not noted as error on the coin.

OEAAOSw2x1XKsVc">PCGS MS 70 Finned
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if he knew he had an error? If he did not ask for it to be graded as such, would they?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone even determined if these qualify as an "error" coin? Seems like a lot of snake oil salesmanship to me, as many/most exhibit same finning.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadly distributed error?
  • Options
    If not an error, are the finned edges a type?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bestday

1/2oz$865$35$830x2$1,660
    1/2oz$865$40$825x2$1,650

Packaging cost too high..... doubt Mint would spend that much on a $200 coin

Then please tell me where my math went wrong. (I mean, it's pretty basic stuff.)

They're going to use the same packaging for all three coins. Will the packaging then become too cheap for the 1/2oz?
  • Options
    There are almost 5100 in inventory now...
    DateDescNumber soldNet Increase
    4/24/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)122,510122,510
    5/1/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)119,920-2,590
    Still no word from the mint on redistribution. I assume they'll wait another week to let any other problems settle out...

Edit to say: Wow. 1000th post. I spend way too much time here. image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    There are almost 5100 in inventory now...
    DateDescNumber soldNet Increase
    4/24/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)122,510122,510
    5/1/20162016 MERCURY DIME 24K GOLD .1OZ (16XB)119,920-2,590
    Still no word from the mint on redistribution. I assume they'll wait another week to let any other problems settle out...

Edit to say: Wow. 1000th post. I spend way too much time here. image

They still have the household limit as 10. They should make it 1 for the rest.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file