Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: COCollector
    Originally posted by: pf70collector
    Dealers may be going after large positions of the PL and 70 versions and buying large quantities and returning the rejects. Best scenario is to order in the beginning rather than later and avoid the rejects. My limit is probably 5 and hope I get a PL version...

I agree -- order early.

Even though I don't plan to submit my coins for grading, chances are good as anyone's that I'll get a PL or 70 with an early order.

The mint fessed up they already struck all 125K. Since we have no way of knowing how they were packaged and shipped to Memphis, it doesn't make sense to assume the first orders/shipped will be the freshest off the dies. Even so, if it's true each die only pressed 1900 coins (and we're talking 24k gold), each one of those puppies better be perfect. (Except for that one die that was screwed up to produce less than 2000 problem coins... I kid... Kinda... Well, I can hope...)

I would order early, just in case these do go ballistic. I think the potential is still there, it's only 12.5K ounces, and the hh limit is 1 ounce. However, if they don't sell out day 1 or 2, they'll probably linger on the site for a while until the hh limits are lifted.

Still no movement on the quarter or half. I'd really like to know if the mint could fit a reversible panel for all three coins like they did for the '15-'16 Plat Proof in the new box.

I'm still thinking 2 boxes of 2 on the dime...

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Look for the USmint presale of gold dimes @ Chicago International Coin Fair, Apr 14th - Apr 17th, 2016, Rosemont, IL

The coincidence of the Chi-town show date and the Apr 21 date of USmint website availability looks a lot like what happened with the Kennedy 3/4 oz gold, buy at the show, buy on line a couple of days later.

MHO

• Options
    And it's even smaller than a real dime?

Geez, make it the size of a dime and charge more.

Holy-sha-moly.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

Look for the USmint presale of gold dimes @ Chicago International Coin Fair, Apr 14th - Apr 17th, 2016, Rosemont, IL

The coincidence of the Chi-town show date and the Apr 21 date of USmint website availability looks a lot like what happened with the Kennedy 3/4 oz gold, buy at the show, buy on line a couple of days later.

MHO

Not sure they will release early at a show. Especially with out publicity. Yes, they probably learned their lesson. Don't be disappointed if these gold dimes are not offered for pre-sale.

• Options
    I'll go with the USmint hasn't learned the 3/4 Kennedy lesson, rather, surprise!, let's try it again, USmint director or underling shows up to announce premature sales of the undersized Mercury dime at the show, peeps / ebay go wild for a time, eventually, no one cares. It's the Kennedy all over again.

MHO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mint never loses. It melts any leftovers and sells them as something new.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    And it's even smaller than a real dime?

Geez, make it the size of a dime and charge more.

Holy-sha-moly.

Well, not only is it smaller in diameter, it's thinner, yet weighs 25% more than the silver.

It's a matter of sourcing. All three of the coins use the same blanks used for the Buffalo fractionals.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I doubt if the mint ordered and have ready all 125K in packaging yet. I can't imagine them being so arrogant thinking all 125K will instantly sell out. So there could be delays.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Mint website is slow at first, just wait until Wondercoin's friends and family finish ordering

then there should be plenty still available for fast checkout.image

ready to order the gold dime
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Well, the mint made it official. $205.

Mercury Dime 2016 Centennial Gold Coin

Tomorrow noon.

I'm still thinking two boxes of two...
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's official $205.00 price posted on mint website. good luck hunting for 70's.

edited to say: BackroadJunkie, you beat me to it. I am slow at typing.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying 50
  • Options

Limit is ten per HH, USmint should sell 'em all, no restriction, blast 'em all out, MHO
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I think I will buy 2 as in two.
  • Options

Limit is ten per HH, USmint should sell 'em all, no restriction, blast 'em all out, MHO

Well, as I stated before, I think they'll sell out, I just don't know how long it'll take. They could very well be gone in a couple of hours. 12.5K ounces isn't all that much when you consider the JFK and the American Liberty first day sales.

From a personal perspective, I have to look at the quarter and the half as part of this set. Buying two each of those will bring my gold purchase up to two ounces this year (three, counting the Twain commems), something I've tried to avoid during this volatile PM market. (Volatile as in going dooooowwwwn... image) Especially with the mark-up the mint wants on these. They should have been priced in line with the 24k Spouse coins.

Also, everyone should keep in mind that ordering these should automatically upgrade you to "expedited shipping" since it's a PM, so don't bother paying for it.

• Options
    I think its expedited shipping for orders over $300.

Also from the mint website:

Orders with merchandise valued at $300 or more or, orders containing any precious metals will require an auto signature upon delivery.
    Orders with Merchandise valued at $300 or more with a budget or standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to signature-required Ground Shipping.

U.S. Mint Shipping

I think I am going to attempt 4 single orders for these, hoping they don't sell out in 10 minutes. Maybe the more dispersed the orders the better chance of getting a proof like version.
  • Options
    You stopped one line short on the shipping page image.

Shipments containing any gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles with a standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to Expedited Shipping. If you choose expedited shipping you will be charged a fee of $12.95 regardless of if your shipment contains any gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles.

I was thinking about the four orders of 1 each, but hey, no free bag, no reason to spend the extra on shipping. image I will flip a coin on which box I open...
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Twas the night before Centennial, when all through the forum
    Not a flipper was stirring, because of the Aurum;
    The shipping was checked by the flippers with care,
    In hopes that big profits soon would be there;
    The flippers were nestled all snug in their beds;
    While visions of dollars danced in their heads;

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just received an email offer to buy the 10 for a $250 immediate profit.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jclovescoins

From whom if I may ask?

• Options
    Originally posted by: VanHalen

Originally posted by: jclovescoins

From whom if I may ask?

Cancel that. There's a $500 offer in my Inbox now. image

• Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    well Im buying 10 PM if your wanting to buy image
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is buying for these immediate profit offers? I might buy a box of 10 if it is legit.
  • Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be buying a box of 10. If the price is right I'll sell.image
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Here we go!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    don129don129 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    Does the name start with an "n" and end with an "r"?
    Successful BSTs with adriana, barrytrot, Bochiman, Dabigkahuna, Modern Coin Mart, oilstates2003, terburn88, THEGENERAL
  • Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: don129

Nope. I'm looking to purchase in the $225 range per piece. Would never have offered $500 on top.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: nurmaler

Originally posted by: don129

Nope. I'm looking to purchase in the $225 range per piece. Would never have offered $500 on top.

The offer was $255ea or $50x10=$500 on top of the total price of 10 pcs.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the PCGS set registry, this coin will be included in the Mercury dime and type sets.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

According to the PCGS set registry, this coin will be included in the Mercury dime and type sets.

When the Gold Kennedy came out, it was a bit of a white elephant that didn't exactly fit in any specific set. Now that the 1916 throwback commemoratives coins are coming out, there may as well be a separate "Coins commemorating coins" registry set that would contain the three 1916 coins, the Kennedy, and the 2007 UHR $20. A herd of white elephants, if you will.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

Better tell that to Dimeman!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Better tell that to Dimeman"

That is why I checked with PCGS and confirmed. It will be in the Merc. set just like the Kennedy gold in in the Kennedy set. Same with the upcoming quarter and half.

Whether they make a separate Registry set for "white elephants" remains to be seen.

They are not commemoratives, and so none of these Centennials will be in those sets.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    T-minus 1 hour ,5 minutes to "sell out" in an hour.
  • Options
    Will they have a waiting room at 11:45, Thanks
  • Options
    No more waiting room. The mint updated their server several years ago, though it will probably be still slow in the beginning.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pf70collector
    No more waiting room. The mint updated their server several years ago, though it will probably be still slow in the beginning.

Thanks
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone logged in and ready to rock?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Finger poised above the refresh

• Options
    USM041166xx 12:01

Edited to add:

a quick "can't read this page" on refresh but backing up then forward everything went smooth

edit again:

email received @ 5 after....fastest ever I've gotten

• Options
    Reloading, site crashing, sos
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! took 30 sec. to order and check out!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    in quick and ordered quick... image

paid the extra $20 for next day shipping since they usually take forever to get to SoCal!
  • Options
    Still reloading, site crashing...
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    90 seconds, order 41170##
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    I don't know how you all get through so fast. No luck two devices two browsers...
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raufus

Still reloading, site crashing...

Me too. crash, reload, crash, reload, crash, reload...........
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Classof67
    90 seconds, order 41170##

What browser??
  • Options
    Got order in at 12:01 now can't even get back on the main page.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file