Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big bullion dealers will buy as fast as possible.

Why not? Big profits for the Best Coins.

After cherry-picking, even the leftover 69-grade coins should be very profitable. Look at "Sold" pre-sale listings on ebay -- crazy prices.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    My guess is a 42 minute sellout. Ya the HH limit is high but here are my rough estimates.

I think the big dealers with their network of buyers will buy roughly 30% of the offering (roughly 38k coins or 3,800 orders). This will take place in the first 10 minutes of ordering if not less. That leaves 87k coins left to the rest of us. Im guessing that another 10% of the mintage will go in full orders of 10 within the first 10 minutes. Thats another 12,500 coins or another 1,250 orders, leaving 74,500 coins. If the average order is 3 coins, that leaves the final number of orders needed to hit a sellout at just under 25k. At 600 orders a minute, that is a total of 42 minutes to sell out.

This is a hyped coin and many people have passed up other coins this year to be able to afford the series. I don't think its unreasonable to estimate a 3 order average. With respects to the 600 orders per minute, the best way I could try to estimate the numbers is to look at previously massively hyped coins and compare the sellout time, mintage and cost. While a totally different series, and a non precious metal, the Eisenhower C&C sold 18k in 10 minutes. I believe the hype is similar to this coin, possibly not as hyped. Thats roughly 1,800 orders per minute, however, the total price is about 1/3 the total of 3 of these coins. I divided 1,800 by 3 to arrive at 600. Yes somewhat flawed logic but best my little brain could come up with.

Love to hear others thoughts on sellout times and why they think that.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    Don't forget the 25th ASE set, 5 set HH limit, 100K mintage on that broken-ass old Mint website, and the moaning and complants that followed... image It would have sold out much quicker on today's site, probably in less than an hour.

Five years later, that same set is now selling at barely above issue price.

I expect the Merc to sell out within a few hours. 125k may sound like a lot, but it's only half the mintage of the 1916-D.

Might want to save a few bucks for the 2021 Peace dollar. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Im also taking a WAG that the mintage on the dimes will be the lowest of the three. When the quick sellout happens on this issue, the mint will realize they left $$ on the table and increase the mintages of the two offerings.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OperationButter
    Im also taking a WAG that the mintage on the dimes will be the lowest of the three. When the quick sellout happens on this issue, the mint will realize they left $$ on the table and increase the mintages of the two offerings.

Great to see our posts!

In this case the latter two issues will be substantially more expensive. I'm wondering whether this will be factored into any decision re: mintage of the latter two issues based on sales of the first. Not apples to apples the way that some prior issues have been like the RP dollar sets.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MilesWaits
    Good to see you posting, Raufus. Let's get Bully and a few other "salad years alumni" to try to answer that question.

I myself avoid any predictions.

With that said, I am in for his many as I can get it as quickly as I can get.

Great to see you posting as well Miles :-)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in for 5-7 pieces. I think it will be a quick sellout~24 hours max.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Overdate
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    Don't forget the 25th ASE set, 5 set HH limit, 100K mintage on that broken-ass old Mint website, and the moaning and complants that followed... image It would have sold out much quicker on today's site, probably in less than an hour.

Five years later, that same set is now selling at barely above issue price.

I expect the Merc to sell out within a few hours. 125k may sound like a lot, but it's only half the mintage of the 1916-D.

Might want to save a few bucks for the 2021 Peace dollar. image

Barely above issue price? I see raw sets at almost 100% return on the issue price? So is that now the new barely?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone ask ......Will complete sets still be complete without them?

i was told by the registry people that these "things" will not be in any sets.

there is no way they should be! they aren't even coins!!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN they aren't even coins!!

Now you're just being silly. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

What's silly....they're NOT!image

• Options
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

What's silly....they're NOT!image

The US Mint would disagree with you.image

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanity has nothing to do with his argument. Idealism does. It's nice to see the dimeman remains the contrarian.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    If you guys who must.......want to call these coins....go ahead, but they are not. They are nothing more than poorly made modern commens.

Go ahead and spend $160+ as a dime.image
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys who must.......want to call these coins....go ahead, but they are not. They are nothing more than poorly made modern commens.

I felt the same way about silver eagles when I first saw them in 86. I couldn't figure out why anyone would want them.

Fast forward to today - I love silver eagles.

Maybe you just need more time to see the real beauty of these modern commems image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: hchcoin

I felt the same way about silver eagles when I first saw them in 86. I couldn't figure out why anyone would want them.

Fast forward to today - I love silver eagles.

Maybe you just need more time to see the real beauty of these modern commems image

I have always said "never say never".....But I can say this for sure....I will NEVER buy any bullion or modern commen. The mint hasn't made anything pretty and worth collecting (to me) since the 40's.

I might get into classic commens someday, but I doubt that.

• Options
    When the heck is the mint going to put the price out there? What are they waiting for, a big change in gold prices? Come on already, people need to budget. image
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Check out the OGP.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the heck is the mint going to put the price out there? What are they waiting for, a big change in gold prices? Come on already, people need to budget. image

Dimeman sounds like a coin collecting relative of mine. He hates all commems or bullion coins and anything put out by the mint as a 'collectible'. He says it not a 'REAL' coin and that anything made explicitly to be collected will never be truly rare or valuable.

I can see where they're both coming from. I do, however, think that these 100th anniversary coins are COOL and artistic and you've gotta love that they are in GOLD. As long as the mint doesn't mark them up too high they may be a good buy just to have the pleasure to view and to own.

I am tempted by these gold coins but, alas, I think that I will just stick to my MS 1916-1947 original business strikes. They are my true passion and my long term goal. They are my priority and I will stay that course.

The vast variety and choices of coin collecting is a double-edged sword. It gives you many different directions to pursue and ways to collect but can also be a diversion that causes you to stray and to lose focus.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    That OGP looks like it will add more than a few bucks to the price.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to buy an extra one of these gold Mercury Dimes to sell to Dimeman at an obscene profit when he finally breaks down and realizes that he needs one to complete his set.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52
    I'm going to have to buy an extra one of these gold Mercury Dimes to sell to Dimeman at an obscene profit when he finally breaks down and realizes that he needs one to complete his set.image

Better yet, Jmski, let's have the class of 2000 and something/whatever chip in and buy the boy one!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look next Wednesday about 2pm. The price should be up then.

• Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52

They will never be in the sets.image

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pricing for this coin has to be announced in the Fed Reg, then the precious metal schedule has to be updated, none of which has happened yet.

The mint is really slipping in this regard. Putting up details in the catalog less than two weeks from a sales date and very slow to update other important documents. I'm afraid some government drone came to the conclusion that a product announcement will affect the sales of a currently selling product. It's a wrong assumption, but the marketing department at the mint has always been crap.

I would budget sub-$200 right now. There's a chance the price of gold could go up next Wednesday just before sales. (It was very close to going up last Wednesday.)

I still think it should be around the price of a 1/10 proof AGE, which is currently at $175, so figure about $185 to $190, considering the markups of 24k over 22k...
  • Options
    Prices were just posted:

Pricing for the 201 6 Mercury Dime, Standing Liberty Qu arter, and Walking Liberty Half - Dollar Centennial Gold Coins

If gold stays below $1250, the the dime will be $205. (Higher than I expected.)

If gold rallys above $1250, then the price will be $210.

Here's a portion of the table that's relevant right now.. image
    2016 Centennial GoldWalking LibertyStanding LibertyMercury Dime
    Average gold spot1/2 oz1/4 oz1/10 oz
    $1,150.00 to $1,199.99$840.00 $447.50 $200.00
    $1,200.00 to $1,249.99$865.00 $460.00 $205.00
    $1,250.00 to $1,299.99$890.00 $472.50 $210.00
    $1,300.00 to $1,349.99$915.00 $485.00 $215.00
    Edit to add pricing table.
  • Options
    Thanks. That's a little higher than I expected.
  • Options
    With gold at $1232, premiums are

66% Merc
    49% SLQ
    40% WLH

Pre-sale Mercs are currently fetching $275 to $300, so currently not much of a flip after shipping, fees and labor are taken into account.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With gold at $1232, premiums are

66% Merc
    49% SLQ
    40% WLH

Pre-sale Mercs are currently fetching $275 to $300, so currently not much of a flip after shipping, fees and labor are taken into account.

The real flipping begins once they have been graded and/or after they can no longer be bought at the Mint.

Pre-selling is not flipping, it is Russian roulette.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish there was an option to nix the OGP...too bulky for storage. How many of these will be tossed? Just put the coin in a flip like DC does.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: renman95
    I wish there was an option to nix the OGP...too bulky for storage. How many of these will be tossed? Just put the coin in a flip like DC does.

I agree, and it's a shame. Usually the OGP is nice and I just toss the boxes in my closet.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    The real flipping is when someone nails a prooflike from pcgs and the sealed boxes start going for moon money. I know ill be keeping sealed boxes around for when this happens.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OperationButter
    The real flipping is when someone nails a prooflike from pcgs and the sealed boxes start going for moon money. I know ill be keeping sealed boxes around for when this happens.

Since the gold US dime is to be 125K of business strike, I'll take the USmint at their word. MHO

Finish:
    Business Strike

Does pcgs have a PL gold dime number?
  • Options
    Thanks. That's a little higher than I expected.

Indeed

• Options

No question that this should be an option.

• Options
    With that much of a premium I would be surprised if they sold all 125,000.

• Options

They may have just priced me out of buying one. I am still on the fence. Do I want to spend up to $215 on this or something else? That's one expensive box image

• Options

I wish there was an option to nix the OGP...too bulky for storage. How many of these will be tossed?...

I'm reluctant to toss $10: OEM box & COA

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

Well, day one sell out is probably out of the question now, and they may linger on the site.

They should have kept the price in line with all their other 24k offerings. The higher prices will certainly affect my purchase plans.
  • Options

The mint tried that once. I think it was a abject failure.
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Higher than expected, need to reconsider
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Dealers may be going after large positions of the PL and 70 versions and buying large quantities and returning the rejects. Best scenario is to order in the beginning rather than later and avoid the rejects. My limit is probably 5 and hope I get a PL version.

They may not sell out, even the 2009 UHR lingered on til the end at around 115K mintage, but these won't be as expensive compared to the UHR.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will likely be waiting for this one.

• Options
    Originally posted by: pf70collector

Dealers may be going after large positions of the PL and 70 versions and buying large quantities and returning the rejects. Best scenario is to order in the beginning rather than later and avoid the rejects. My limit is probably 5 and hope I get a PL version...

I agree -- order early.

Even though I don't plan to submit my coins for grading, chances are good as anyone's that I'll get a PL or 70 with an early order.

• Options
    Originally posted by: COCollector

Originally posted by: pf70collector

Dealers may be going after large positions of the PL and 70 versions and buying large quantities and returning the rejects. Best scenario is to order in the beginning rather than later and avoid the rejects. My limit is probably 5 and hope I get a PL version...

I agree -- order early.

Even though I don't plan to submit my coins for grading, chances are good as anyone's that I'll get a PL or 70 with an early order.

So, if you don't order early you may get some dealer's rejects. Hasn't this always been the case?

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I ordered a 2009 UHR on the last day of sales and got a MS 70. My first order on the first day of sales was a 69. So not always the case in ordering early. If these linger on til the end of the year than you may get a fresh batch. Luck of the draw I quess.

But ordering early may get you a better chance at a 70 or PL than waiting to avoid the rejects.
  • Options
    This coin will be significantly smaller than the original Mercury dime, if the specs on the Mint's website are correct. Instead of 17.9mm it will be 16.5mm, the same diameter as the 1/10 oz. Gold Eagle.

That translates to only 85% of the surface area of the silver Mercury dime, which is already small. If the diameters of the remaining coins match those of the 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. Gold Eagle, the gold SLQ will have only 82% of the surface area of the original and the gold WLH will have only 78% of the surface area of the original.

This greatly reduces the appeal of these commems in my view.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin will be significantly smaller than the original Mercury dime, if the specs on the Mint's website are correct. Instead of 17.9mm it will be 16.5mm, the same diameter as the 1/10 oz. Gold Eagle.

That translates to only 85% of the surface area of the silver Mercury dime, which is already small. If the diameters of the remaining coins match those of the 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. Gold Eagle, the gold SLQ will have only 82% of the surface area of the original and the gold WLH will have only 78% of the surface area of the original.

This greatly reduces the appeal of these commems in my view.

The dime will be tiny for sure. The 22mm SLQ is 90% the diameter of a standard quarter and should look much better.

• Options
    I would be very surprised if the Mercury Gold dime does not sell out within the first 2 hours. There is a possible scenario where the Mint reduces the HH from 10 to 2 after the first hour though..

I also predict very decent price action on the secondary market (bay) after the quick sell out. The current presale prices on bay ($260-$300) are not sustainable and mainly used to manage market expectations prior to official release (In my opinion, we will witness upward pressure on pricing next Thursday afternoon)
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    I think I'll ignore the craziness on the Mint's web site and just pick up a nice SP69 First Strike once the excitement dies down.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file