Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Centennial Gold 1916 coins (16XA, 16XB, 16XC)

Comments

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    145,000 and 225,000 units combined,

so do we interpret this to mean 50,000-75,000 tenths?
  • Options
    "could reach"

interesting choice of words, since they have ENDED production of the gold dime, "could" is not in the cards.......they would have needed to mint a specific number......they do not know sales potential until April 21 arrives....
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50,000 first run, 25,000 followup if needed?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Maybe something like

50k 1/2, 75k 1/4 100k 1/10 gets it to 225k.

30k 45k 70k gets it to 145k.

Obviously i hope it is the bottom mintages or even less.
  • Options
    50,000 first run, 25,000 followup if needed?

Gold Dime production has ENDED per CW. No follow up. That's how I read it.

I think they will be on the low side, 50k-75k each type.
  • Options
    Gold Dime production has ENDED per CW. No follow up. That's how I read it.

I think they will be on the low side, 50k-75k each type.

The Mint is hardly ever consistent. For their most hyped recent gold issues, i.e., the 2009 UHR, the 2013 Reverse Proof Gold Buffs, the 2014 gold Baseballs, the 2015 HR Libertys - correct me if I'm wrong, it seems that the Mint always hyped the mintage limits and the household limits in advance.

Now, they're hyping the coins, but not the mintages whether limited or not, they aren't clear on the finishes being offered, and they aren't even releasing this year's gold Centennials as a set, when they've had good success with other gold coins when released in sets, and they aren't even releasing them all on the same day (which would also seem to make good sense).

Why would the Mint publicize a limited mintage of 4,000 and a household limit of 1 for the 2015 Platinum Proofs and not even give out any information ahead of time for the 2016 Gold Centennials, especially when there are many more collectors who will buy the Centennial Gold than the Platinum Proofs?

As I always like to point out - it's the Mint! They can do whatever they want. The bigger the fiasco, the more collectable it will be. The only question in my mind is whether this approach will be a big fiasco. I think that the odds are in our favor.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I will probably buy at least 5 if I am able. I definitely want these coins in my collection. Could be like the 2009 UHR will a demand later on. I expect a sellout.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2015 Amecican Liberty Gold UNC - Max Mintage = 50K - As of December 13th = 95.8% of max @ 47,902

Link

2009 UHR Mintage = 115K

Link

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elves at the mint took their thumbs out last night!

Mercury Dime 2016 Centennial Gold Coin

To be released April 21, 2016 @ Noon EST.

Item Number: 16XB
    Mintage Limit: 125,000
    Product Limit: None
    Household Order Limit: 10

Price is not set yet, and will be determined by their pricing schedule, which doesn't have a 24K 1/10 OZT . Currently, a 1/10 OZT ASE proof is $175. I would expect the price to be similar.
  • Options
    The coin looks great. Hope the business strike quality holds up and isn't less than recent special releases. New modern slick case I must say. I'd like a choice, at a lower cost, for a simpler display case. And the option of a 3 coin case like the Proof National Park one.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like it will make FB image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

Doesn't look like it will make FB image

Did nobody tell the Mint that the fasces was supposed to have two horizontal lines in the bands? And what is with the double line in the diagonal band?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    The packaging alone will probably raise the price of the coin $20, so probably $195.00. Probably enough time for single boxed orders if 125K are minted.

• Options
    Any chance they will offer a three-coin set after the individual coins are sold?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Interesting article in CoinWorld. Everything you wanted to know about the dime...

Gold 2016-W Winged Liberty Head dime mintage limit at 125,000

The U.S. Mint exhibited an example of the dime in a display case at the bureau's booth at the Whitman Baltimore Expo March 31 to April 3.

The dime's diameter is 16.5 millimeters, or 0.65-inch. The thickness is 1.19 millimeters or 0.047-inch. The coin has a reeded edge and a circulation-strike finish.

The dime is a tenth-ounce coin, the quarter dollar a quarter-ounce coin, and the half dollar a half-ounce coin.

All three Centennial gold coins are being struck at the West Point Mint with the W Mint mark.

Each of the dimes was struck twice with average striking pressure of 40 tons per strike on a Graebener GMP 360 press with the dies oriented vertically.

The obverse is the hammer die and the reverse the anvil die. The average die life was 1,900 coins per die.

The production of the 125,000 maximum mintage of gold dimes at the West Point Mint was started on Feb. 23 and ended on March 21.

Leach Garner from Attleboro, Mass., supplied the U.S. Mint with the finished planchets for the Winged Liberty Head gold dimes and will also provide the finished planchets for the gold Standing Liberty Centennial quarter dollar and Walking Liberty Centennial half dollar.

Leach Garner is one of three vendors that supplies the U.S. Mint with planchets for American Eagle and American Buffalo gold coins.

Some collectors may be confused that the gold dime may appear to have two W Mint marks — one on the coin's obverse and another on the reverse. The two marks serve separate purposes, however: On the obverse, in the field to the right behind Liberty's neck, the overlapped initials AW identify the designer and sculptor, Adolph A. Weinman. On the reverse, to the lower left of the base of the olive branch, is the W Mint mark signifying production at the West Point Mint in New York.

In the field to the right of the fasces, below E PLURIBUS / UNUM in two lines, are two inscriptions not present on the original dimes — AU 24K and 1/10 OZ. — also in two lines.

Each coin will be encapsulated and placed in a custom designed, black matte, wood presentation case, and accompanied by a certificate of authenticity.

With an average die life of 1900 coins, that means a total of 66 die pairs. Possibility of an error... image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: GRANDAM
    So is 125,000 just for the dime or a total for all 3 coins as someone suggested above?

Dime only. If they produce an equivalent number, the quarter will have a mintage of 50K and the half 25K...

Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Any chance they will offer a three-coin set after the individual coins are sold?

None on the product schedule. It's be nice if they sold the $1/2 (assuming the half is the last sold) with a three hole insert, like the platinum proof 1-hole/2-hole box.

Edit to fix my crappy math...
  • Options
    Or they could sell a three-coin holder separately that you could just move the capsules into.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Or they could sell a three-coin holder separately that you could just move the capsules into.

Too bad they don't offer a pre-sale 3-coin subscription.

RCM provides holders for many subscriptions: http://www.mint.ca/store/buy/s...640006?catId=cat640006

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    The date alignment looks odd to me. Other than that, it's a beautiful coin.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie
    Price is not set yet, and will be determined by their pricing schedule, which doesn't have a 24K 1/10 OZT . Currently, a 1/10 OZT ASE proof is $175. I would expect the price to be similar.

Expect another run on the Mint's website if that's the case.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any predictions on how quick (or if) this sells out.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Sounds like there should be no excuse for orders not being processed and shipped quickly.

They have already completed production and the packaging should hopefully be done as well.

May be nice to have a sea of arrivals instead of a few lucky flippers getting theirs weeks/months before other folks.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    Any predictions on how quick (or if) this sells out.

Twenty minutes and sixteen seconds...

Or by the time I get my ten orders of ten thru my network of friends, family, and a few lucky homeless folks.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it looks cool.
  • Options
    Twenty minutes and sixteen seconds...

Or by the time I get my ten orders of ten thru my network of friends, family, and a few lucky homeless folks.

Yeah, just imagine pulling out a roll of these in about 20 years.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be old news...

"Gold 2016-W Winged Liberty Head dime mintage limit at 125,000"

CoinWorld

http://click.amosdigital.com/?...62c8aaaea041ce4d460455
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Will these new gold issues be required for registry sets?

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BackroadJunkie

Interesting article in CoinWorld. Everything you wanted to know about the dime...

With an average die life of 1900 coins, that means a total of 66 die pairs. Possibility of an error... image

24k gold and 125,000 pcs might require 66 die pairs! Sounds crazy they only expect 1900 per DM.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: silverpop
    grand more junk to deal with from the mint

This.

• Options
    Originally posted by: grip
    Originally posted by: silverpop
    grand more junk to deal with from the mint

This.

Or not, as you choose.

• Options
    Such negativity toward a coin nobody has actually seen or had in hand. Can you wait till it's released, you see a good photo, then unload on how disgusting it is? How a 20 foot pole isn't long enough. How exploitative and unimaginative the mint is. Don't you remember your mother saying "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". Sheesh.

• Options
    Yeah, the modern haters even started their own thread denigrating this coin, but I guess they can't just keep it there.

I am at the point of deciding how many to get. I will probably put together two sets for myself, but as many have said, the 1/10 OZT is more "affordable" and may be more popular/liquid for that reason alone.

On the other hand, 125K (12.5K OZT) is a crapload, but the mint might sell them all anyway. They sold 48K (48K OZT) American Liberties (36.7K OZT on the first day), and 73.4K (55K OZT) of the Kennedys (56.6K or 42.5K OZT the first day.)

Should those same buyers buy a minimum of 3-2016 dimes (versus a single AmLib or AuKen), it's a day one sell out. Should even a percentage of those buyers purchase the max of 10, we could see the issue sell out in hours. Should there be buyers who will get one of these because it's "affordable", and didn't have the means to buy a AmLib or AuKen, then, well, we might see if we can still melt down the mint's web site. Or, they cold languish on the Mint's site until Dec 31... image

And of course the next question is whether to get those really teeny-tiny coins graded... image
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I am leaning towards buying two of the Dimes, one to keep and one to sell at some point.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    Labels? Yes we have labels...

PCGS: 100th Anniversary of the Mercury Dime Label

NGC: NGC Labels for 100th Anniversary Gold Coins

Not sure if the dime will really be an SP, and quite sure the quarter and half will not be PF...
  • Options
    I still think all three look really cool. Of all the things the mint has done over the years I think these are some of the best looking.
  • Options
    I will somehow manage to cope with all the emotional damage if some of the usual Modern haters here don't buy this coin.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the pcgs labels and the gold centennial dimes look awesome. I'm in for 10.
  • Options
    Looks like we'll have Proof versions of the 1/2 oz and 1/4 oz coins. But not the 1/10 oz. Good to know.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    I wonder if they'll designate PL and DMPL? Seems this oftern happens with the MS offerings of late.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: COCollector

Looks like we'll have Proof versions of the 1/2 oz and 1/4 oz coins. But not the 1/10 oz. Good to know.

Where did you see that on the US Mint website?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

I think it's lifted from the NGC label above. I don't think they're doing proofs on any of these though??

• Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

Not from the Mint website.

Just an assumption from the NGC PF70 labels in BackRoadJunkie's above post.

Also, there's precedence with Proof versions of 1/2 oz and 1/4 oz gold Buffaloes.

And I'm still hoping the Mint will surprise us with a last-minute Proof version of the Mercury dime. But I'm not holding my breath.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, do you all think that they'll sell out with a mintage of 125,000 and a HH limit of 10?

How many are you planning to buy?

I'm in for 5 initially and will see how fast that they are selling. I think it's 50/50 on a sell out.

Would love to know what you all think.

I think that this will be a beautiful set!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you posting, Raufus. Let's get Bully and a few other "salad years alumni" to try to answer that question.

I myself avoid any predictions.

With that said, I am in for his many as I can get it as quickly as I can get.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Reminds me of the 20th Annv SAE sets.

High limit. Initial thoughts were "meh....too high of a limit".

Many ordered less than the max (I think it was 10 sets). I know I did.

After a few days/weeks, they maintained a nice little 40% or so premium on ebay, for opened sets.

I went back and maxed my orders. Still have a couple raw sets, an unopened set (just because), and a graded set or two. I made some money off those...and the limit was up there.

What I see these having going for them is that they are "only" 1/10oz of gold so it will keep the cost down somewhat. Yep, gonna be a stupid premium from the USMint, but it isn't like having 3/4oz+premium or 1oz+premium.

So, most everyone who really wants one SHOULD be able to get one.

• Options
    I agree with Bochiman - most everyone who really wants one should be able to get one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Raufus
    Just curious, do you all think that they'll sell out with a mintage of 125,000 and a HH limit of 10?

How many are you planning to buy?

I'm in for 5 initially and will see how fast that they are selling. I think it's 50/50 on a sell out.

Would love to know what you all think.

I think that this will be a beautiful set!

I posted the following a bit earlier in this thread, but I was rambling...

Last two gold releases:

American Liberty - First day sales: 36.7K (or 36.7K ounces gold).

Gold Kennedy - First day sales: 56.6K (or 42K ozt). (This number would probably have been higher except for that... interesting introduction.)

There will be 125K of the dimes, or 12.5K ozt.

In terms of numbers sold, they would have to sell around 3.5 dimes for every American Liberty, or roughly 2.2 for every Gold Kennedy sold.

Number of ounces sold is more indicative of the relative amount of money spent. Only 35% of the gold being sold vs. the Liberty, and 30% vs. the Kennedy.

There are also two other things that's will probably affect sales. First, the 1/10th ozt gold is far more affordable than a 1 or 3/4 ozt coin. Reading some comments on other forums confirms some are going to get one because sub-$200 is more doable than $1300. Second, it's the first in the series, and there is quite a bit of interest in these coins. On the flip side of that, there are two more, more expensive coins in this series coming up.)

I think this is a day one sell out. Perhaps hours long. If you're going to buy, you'll probably want to do it as soon as they go on sale.

Right now, I'm thinking perhaps 5, a box of 2 and a box of 3. Then a box of 2 and a box of 1 on the quarter, and....
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bochiman
    Reminds me of the 20th Annv SAE sets.

High limit. Initial thoughts were "meh....too high of a limit".
    Many ordered less than the max (I think it was 10 sets). I know I did.
    After a few days/weeks, they maintained a nice little 40% or so premium on ebay, for opened sets.

I went back and maxed my orders. Still have a couple raw sets, an unopened set (just because), and a graded set or two. I made some money off those...and the limit was up there.

What I see these having going for them is that they are "only" 1/10oz of gold so it will keep the cost down somewhat. Yep, gonna be a stupid premium from the USMint, but it isn't like having 3/4oz+premium or 1oz+premium.

So, most everyone who really wants one SHOULD be able to get one.

Don't forget the 25th ASE set, 5 set HH limit, 100K mintage on that broken-ass old Mint website, and the moaning and complants that followed... image It would have sold out much quicker on today's site, probably in less than an hour.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect these to be available for at least a couple of days. I'm not buying.

The half ouncer unc. will be the winner. Most collectors appreciate the beauty and uniqueness of the walking liberty half reverse. I consider it one of the most dramatic coin designs ever.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    I'm in for one. And one each of the upcoming quarter and half. Just not a "hustler" enough to buy for sale. Too much anxiety for my head and heart.

Good luck to those who are. May the ebay Gods smile on you and frown on the scammers, shading their eyes from your postings.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file