Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

March Of Dimes set.. PCGS,NGC 69s ,lower PCGS 70s $335 - $406

Comments

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another interesting number question.

On the PCGS pops shown earlier in this thread there are 100 dollars from the set but only 40 of
    each of the dimes from the set. what happened to the other 120 dimes? This highlights a major flaw in
    using early PCGS pops as they are slow to update what has actually been graded and do not provide meaningful numbers
    in the early weeks.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the population as of now. The numbers of Dimes have caught up to the $1. The ratios have also smoothed out to a more expected rate of 69 to 70. The fact of no 68 and below is also inductive of minimum grade submissions. The $1 numbers remain the same as posted previously.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudbegud,

Thanks for the update. As usual PCGS slightly more 69's and NGC slightly more 70's.
    This trend could continue or change drastically as it is still very early in the process.
    There will be thousands more sets graded. It's a shame that the early price gouging makes it hard for
    the collector who just wants a certified 70 for their collection.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a shame that the early price gouging makes it hard for
    the collector who just wants a certified 70 for their collection. >>

1. It's far too early to determine whether a given price is cheap or too high.

2. The highest prices thus far on eBay have been from auctions, so by definition (unless there is shilling), there is no gouging.

3. Fixed-price sellers have been raising their asking prices as demand has increased as is normally the case, but even so are beneath the auction results.

Gouging? Please.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my grades from ATS. PF-628. (That's 7-70's and 2-69's.)

001..2015 W..............SILVER.............MARCH OF DIMES SET EARLY RELEASES...10C...PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
    002..2015P SILVER...REVERSE PF...MARCH OF DIMES SET EARLY RELEASES...10C...PF 69
    003..2015..................W....................MARCH OF DIMES SET EARLY RELEASES.....S$1...PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
    004..2015 W..............SILVER.............MARCH OF DIMES SET EARLY RELEASES...10C...PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
    005..2015P SILVER...REVERSE PF...MARCH OF DIMES SET EARLY RELEASES...10C...PF 70
    006..2015..................W....................MARCH OF DIMES SET EARLY RELEASES.....S$1...PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO
    007..2015 W..............SILVER.............MARCH OF DIMES SET EARLY RELEASES...10C...PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
    008..2015P SILVER...REVERSE PF...MARCH OF DIMES SET EARLY RELEASES...10C...PF 70
    009..2015..................W....................MARCH OF DIMES SET EARLY RELEASES.....S$1...PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO

Got my PF-70 consecutively numbered set for my collection. Good deal. Overall I'm happy. Even happier that it was a Commem that got one of the 69's. image

Edit to fix formatting...
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pop reports at both companies are always exaggerated towards the higher end of the scale in the beginning when dealers submit large orders w/ minimum grades of 69 or 70. I only reviewed a handful of the coins before I submitted mine, and there are certainly dimes that will grade below 69, but will not show in the pop reports because of minimum grades set.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    August comes early

USM032035XX
    Order Placed: 05/4/15
    Order Status: PROCESSING

Was back-ordered to August as of yesterday (Mon May 18)

These were ordered very late. First Day. If they completed production and they are ready to ship this could substantially increase First Strike eligible boxes.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some Ebay sellers of the March of Dimes set offering EbayBucks. >>

All should be eligible for "bucks" if they are listed in the correct category... Coins & Paper Money, Coins: US, Commemorative, Modern Silver/Clad (1982-Now
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭
    Brother, can you spare a dime? (Reverse proof or W?)
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you get the special March of Dimes insert, is it on the PCGS Order form?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you get the special March of Dimes insert, is it on the PCGS Order form? >>

Depends what you submit, are you doing just the dimes or the set?

Call pcgs and give them that info

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's a shame that the early price gouging makes it hard for
    the collector who just wants a certified 70 for their collection. >>

1. It's far too early to determine whether a given price is cheap or too high.

2. The highest prices thus far on eBay have been from auctions, so by definition (unless there is shilling), there is no gouging.

3. Fixed-price sellers have been raising their asking prices as demand has increased as is normally the case, but even so are beneath the auction results.

Gouging? Please. >>

How come someone say Gouging ?? on an ebay auction .. where bidders place their own prices

From another perspective ..the 2011 Anniv Silver Eagle set opened on ebay at the high 3,800 and went down from there ..The MOD set opened and has risen in price
  • Options

<< <i>August comes early

USM032035XX
    Order Status: PROCESSING

Was back-ordered to August as of yesterday (Mon May 18)

These were ordered very late. First Day. If they completed production and they are ready to ship this could substantially increase First Strike eligible boxes. >>

Sets will probably be shipped in 2 /3 weeks.. my error order was a 3201.. which showed up without any email order/website confirm ... just a CC charge
    Thought of cancelling, but decided to keep it

Mint was cautious about demand for set for 1st orders... They need to visit this forum regularly
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mint was cautious about demand for set for 1st orders... They need to visit this forum regularly >>

Do you think it's cautious about demand, or a secure storage problem?

Let's assume the mint pre-made 30K sets. That's still THIRTY THOUSAND SETS you have to be able to lock up. (All 225K coins in capsules can probably be stored in a smaller area, probably in a safe.) Would they have the room to store 75K sets? Or is it a matter of waiting until some are shipped out the door before putting more sets together.

We need someone who works there on this forum... image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mint was cautious about demand for set for 1st orders... They need to visit this forum regularly >>

Do you think it's cautious about demand, or a secure storage problem?

Let's assume the mint pre-made 30K sets. That's still THIRTY THOUSAND SETS you have to be able to lock up. (All 225K coins in capsules can probably be stored in a smaller area, probably in a safe.) Would they have the room to store 75K sets? Or is it a matter of waiting until some are shipped out the door before putting more sets together.

We need someone who works there on this forum... image >>

Storage problem ????..You can't think small...
    .Imagine how many sets fit into a shipping box.. how many boxes on a pallet.. how many pallets ??????
    Where do you think The Mint stores all other products... in secured areas..... which the MODs would sure fit in easily

Need to look no farther than the 2014 ANA Gold Kennedy fiasco to answer your question

**************Ebay 5x Bonus bucks offer Today and Wednesday... look on the ebay..69s NGC set selling for $119 .. with Bonus bucks 107.00 !!!!
  • Options
    RonnyRonny Posts: 94

<< <i>Already set my alarm so I won't miss it. 5:30 am local time. >>

+1

Cheers, ronO
  • Options
    August CAME early. Was back-ordered to August
    went "processing" this morning, now:
    Order Status: SHIPPED
    Order Number: USM0320352x

because someone asked.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    I believe the MOD insert would have a specific coin number different from plain or plain first strike
    (kind of like the hall of fame labels)
    Not certain though.

(l8-)>>

• Options

<< <i>August CAME early. Was back-ordered to August

because someone asked. >>

1st strike eligible ......image
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1st strike eligible ......image >>

As long as they ship to you before June 4th you're golden.....and you don't peek

• Options
    We should be flush with pcgs set by mid to late July

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Sealed 5 sets up to 540.00 with a range of 486- 543.. on ebay
  • Options
    Mine finally shipped today !!!image

Now should I grade just the dimes or the whole enchilada? What do you think?
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sealed 5 sets up to 540.00 with a range of 486- 543.. on ebay >>

No regrets on my selling box of five @ $479 four hours after receiving it three days after release by US Mint., (Thurs, 5/07/15).

Going to take a few more limited mintage offerings by the US Mint with flippage potential to restore my confidence that the Us Mint has a clue as to what makes its mojo.

MHO.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Now should I grade just the dimes or the whole enchilada? What do you think >>

It seems that the dimes is where the money is.....but...then you have the "I need the set" people....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Now should I grade just the dimes or the whole enchilada? What do you think >>

It seems that the dimes is where the money is.....but...then you have the "I need the set" people.... >>

You rang?
  • Options
    No ringing except in my ears!! To much drumming in my youth. SO.... I am going to have asses this whole situation when coins are in hand. Expensive to grade the whole set, so maybe there will not be as many MOD FS Labels...Could just sell the box intact unopened.... Could just do the dimes.... FS Flag..... Could just shut up and flip locally....!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It seems that the dimes is where the money is.....but...then you have the "I need the set" people.... >>

You rang? >>

The 70s coins individually worth more than when sold as a set .. .. the money is in the Reverse Proof and the W proof ,where the two coins almost equal what the 3 coin set is selling

The raw dimes I have seen .....shows spotty quality... don't know how it will affect the 70s numbers in total ... The Reverse Proof 70 will the star
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine also shipped today...backordered from the start.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $403

11% drop from top hammer price of $455

357 auction views.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine also shipped today...backordered from the start. >>

Can you share your order# minus the last 3 digits?
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1st strike eligible ......image >>

As long as they ship to you before June 4th you're golden.....and you don't peek

image >>

It doesn't matter when you ship does it? If they're in mint sealed packaging and posted from the mint prior to June 4th can't you ship whenever you want and receive the bells and whistles?
  • Options

<< <i>$403

11% drop from top hammer price of $455

357 auction views. >>

$133 for a PCGS 69s
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>August CAME early. Was back-ordered to August

because someone asked. >>

Mine is still on backorder:

Order Status: BACKORDER
    Order Number: USM032066XX

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

It doesn't matter when you ship does it? If they're in mint sealed packaging and posted from the mint prior to June 4th can't you ship whenever you want and receive the bells and whistles? >>

up to an including June 4th, yes.

• Options
    The stealth US Mint strikes again
    Thought my order for March of Dimes sets didn't not go thru .. was in fact accepted as order, 5-4 -14 ,without any email confirm . now tonight, US Mint website shows order still in processing ,but I got an earlier email showing shipped for Thursday delivery by UPS
    That is fast delivery ...... after 1st batch shipped week of May 4th

Order # 3201xxx
  • Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    Received my set. Not impressed, don't like it. Won't be keeping it.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Take the money and run, sell sell sell. Price collapse coming soon when they fill backorders.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking that even at a lower price, the Rosie series is most certainly unloved - in fact i have never known a collector of the series. How many more is 75k over the actual number of collectors? Well, at least the price was lower than the gold Kennedy.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Take the money and run, sell sell sell. Price collapse coming soon when they fill backorders. >>

Not much money left in them.....
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I'm trying to figure out why anyone would buy a 70 set right when they first come out. The price on these things almost always go down. I flipped my sealed boxes, made a couple of bucks and am glad I'm out. Too expensive to play the grading game. At least it is for me.
    GMan
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm trying to figure out why anyone would buy a 70 set right when they first come out. The price on these things almost always go down. I flipped my sealed boxes, made a couple of bucks and am glad I'm out. Too expensive to play the grading game. At least it is for me. >>

Never ceases to amaze me but it happens each and every time.

Then there are those who buy raw current issue coins from the dealers for a substantial mark up that could be bought direct from the mint and not cherry picked.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Then there are those who buy raw current issue coins from the dealers for a substantial mark up that could be bought direct from the mint and not cherry picked >>

That's the behavior I have never understood and never will. It's like telling somebody that a coin costs $100, and they fire back "OK, I'll give you $150"
  • Options
    fear

far of missing that 70 set which could be "limited"

now that the mint is doing and shipping the back orders, we'll see more 70 sets.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I'm trying to figure out why anyone would buy a 70 set right when they first come out. The price on these things almost always go down. I flipped my sealed boxes, made a couple of bucks and am glad I'm out. Too expensive to play the grading game. At least it is for me."

Perhaps just the opposite here though? I am told a dealer priced (30) or more sets at $240 per right out of the box. Was that a bad buy for the collector that grabbed them on Day 1?

Personally, I will be very disappointed if my sets do not net me more than $240 per when they come back from PCGS this week. Between the grading fees, the cost of the sets, dealing with the reject coins, etc., etc., I think the collector did just fine buying a set on Day 1 at $240. Again, I am in "big trouble" if I need to drop to that level when my coins come back from PCGS.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>"I'm trying to figure out why anyone would buy a 70 set right when they first come out. The price on these things almost always go down. I flipped my sealed boxes, made a couple of bucks and am glad I'm out. Too expensive to play the grading game. At least it is for me."

Perhaps just the opposite here though? I am told a dealer priced (30) or more sets at $240 per right out of the box. Was that a bad buy for the collector that grabbed them on Day 1?

Personally, I will be very disappointed if my sets do not net me more than $240 per when they come back from PCGS this week. Between the grading fees, the cost of the sets, dealing with the reject coins, etc., etc., I think the collector did just fine buying a set on Day 1 at $240. Again, I am in "big trouble" if I need to drop to that level when my coins come back from PCGS.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin >>

I guess so, but I think we're talking the $400 - $455 people

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, there are 2-3 of those and (30) at $240. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Then there are those who buy raw current issue coins from the dealers for a substantial mark up that could be bought direct from the mint and not cherry picked >>

That's the behavior I have never understood and never will. It's like telling somebody that a coin costs $100, and they fire back "OK, I'll give you $150" >>

Used to be that I didn't understand that either, but now, I have heard other forum members post their reasoning on why they buy current mint products from dealers, even though the cost is higher....

The reason that resonates is: When buying from a local dealer, or at a show, one can view the product in hand and make sure it meets the quality bar one wants. When buying from the mint, one gets what one gets, and there are too many times that the quality is subpar. Yes, they can be sent back, but then there is the added cost of shipping, and the waiting period, and hope the quality is better; else the game continues to be played.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    Yea I was talking about the $400+ level. $240 isn't a bad price for a 70 set in my mind when you consider the grading fees and the reality that it takes more than one raw set to make a 70 set most of the time.
    GMan
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's the behavior I have never understood and never will. It's like telling somebody that a coin costs $100, and they fire back "OK, I'll give you $150" >>

Used to be that I didn't understand that either, but now, I have heard other forum members post their reasoning on why they buy current mint products from dealers, even though the cost is higher....

The reason that resonates is: When buying from a local dealer, or at a show, one can view the product in hand and make sure it meets the quality bar one wants. When buying from the mint, one gets what one gets, and there are too many times that the quality is subpar. Yes, they can be sent back, but then there is the added cost of shipping, and the waiting period, and hope the quality is better; else the game continues to be played. >>

I meant buying current products mail order from dealers at above issue prices.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file