Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

March Of Dimes set.. PCGS,NGC 69s ,lower PCGS 70s $335 - $406

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure what you all are on about above, but NN sez the MOD is sold out.

March of Dimes set sells out >>

We know...check the 5/13 postings in this threadimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    **** FIRST MOD SET DIMES POPULATION POSTED ****

Note the ratio between 69 & 70 are reversed between the two types.

However, NO deadline date for FS shown on the PCGS FS page yet.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, there could even be some pre-screening going on there as well, which could make the true %'s even worse down the line. And, most importantly, those coins were likely submitted with min grade PR69. How many coins did not grade a min of PR69 and are not included in the pop report at all?

And, at $90 min cost to grade (3) 70's (and a cost in all the other coins that are less than 70 quality), there is virtually no profit to be had after just 1 day of sales!!! image

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    NGC 70 sets are going for $225-$229, So $240 for a First Strike PCGS 70 set is probably a good deal.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NGC 70 sets are going for $225-$229, So $240 for a First Strike PCGS 70 set is probably a good deal. >>

The 1st 2 PCGs 70s Sets sell on ebay at ....$275,......$271
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    So why does the above pop report call these as Type 2 "Clad"? They are 90% silver.....

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options

<< <i>So why does the above pop report call these as Type 2 "Clad"? They are 90% silver..... >>

The design is Type 2 Clad, sames as the current circulating clad Dime. It says Silver in the coins description. The Type 2 Clad started in 1965 when they went all clad from 90% Silver Dimes. You can see the switch HERE

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>NGC 70 sets are going for $225-$229, So $240 for a First Strike PCGS 70 set is probably a good deal. >>

The 1st 2 PCGs 70s Sets sell on ebay at ....$275,......$271 >>

edit, It's early. Interesting label.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a pop for the set label $1?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Is there a pop for the set label $1? >>

Why yes there is.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, at least 100 full sets graded

not a bad split on them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>well, at least 100 full sets graded

not a bad split on them. >>

At least the 70s /69s are not 75 %/25 %
  • Options
    CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    I see some PCGS 70 sets showing up on the E-bay, anyone care to
    post there grading results?
  • Options
    PCGS , NGC 70s sets on Ebay sold $329 - $350 overnight .. the reverse proof dime alone bids are $160 - to $221.50
    The 70s sets still have more to go ...
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS , NGC 70s sets on Ebay sold $329 - $350 overnight .. the reverse proof dime alone bids are $160 - to $221.50
    The 70s sets still have more to go ... >>

well this can't be, these sets are supposed to be losers!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS , NGC 70s sets on Ebay sold $329 - $350 overnight .. the reverse proof dime alone bids are $160 - to $221.50
    The 70s sets still have more to go ... >>

well this can't be, these sets are supposed to be losers! >>

Set close to $400.. single NGC 70 Rev proof 221.50.. ..NGC W 70 Proof $ 100 .....both with 2 days to go
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    I had a feeling there would be no money to be made on these sets except for the greedy graders. When will we all learn?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    L&C Coins had 30 sets of PR70/PR70DCAM, First Strike, PCGS for $240 yesterday AM.....all gone today.

They are currently showing 18 sets of PR69/PR69DCAM, First Strike, PCGS
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does two dime for $70 look now? image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How does two dime for $70 look now? image >>

You mean 75.00image
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How does two dime for $70 look now? image >>

You mean 75.00image >>

image I was looking for a discount. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Since my 3 sets are in backorder status from the mint and I'm not sure when/if I'll receive them, I took a flyer on one of the Pinehurst NGC 70 sets at $229. I figure there's not much downside risk at that price level even if the prices settle a bit from current levels. Who knows, they might even go higher...
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Backorder status: Anyone close to this order number, USM03205xxx, receive their set(s) yet?
  • Options
    "I had a feeling there would be no money to be made on these sets except for the greedy graders. When will we all learn?"

Mark: The PCGS grading price was indeed $30 more than NGC best I know. BUT, I am having a hard time understanding a $240/set sell price on a set that grades out only 40% 70's?? When you back out the $90 grading fee and roughly $75-$80/set to buy them from the public (and free shipping??) and misc. expense (e.g. $10 invoice fees, costs of getting the sets to and from PCGS etc), you end up make about $50 on the 70 set, but stand to lose money on the other 2 sets that did not grade 70 (upwards of $10-$15/set if you paid around $80 to get them). That nets one about $13/set profit for spending at least $175 in coin and grading costs. So, do we blame the grading service for this? I personally won't work for $13/set including buying coins, submitting coins for grading, selling coins, shipping coins, etc., etc. So, one of two things will happen I believe ...

1. Prices will rise from $240/set for 70FS when these dealer(s) are finished "giving them away IMHO" (as most dealers can't run a retail business on 7% margins for non-bullion coins); or

2. PCGS will need to drop their grading fees from $90 to $75 or $60 to compete with the huge business NGC is going to get when dealers can't make any money at $90/set grading fee.

My money is on #1 personally (at least in the short run).

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    PCGS is just driving customers to other services as their prices are just too high.

NGC does a lousy job grading so here does everybody go for grading?

I say give ANACS a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised.
  • Options

<< <i>NGC does a lousy job grading so [w]here does everybody go for grading? >>

Holy Kool-Aid-swilling generalizations, Batman!

There are areas where PCGS doesn't do such a great job either.
  • Options

<< <i>Backorder status: Anyone close to this order number, USM03205xxx, receive their set(s) yet? >>

# 3201xxx is in processing no ship date
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    USM032035xx backordered to August

(l8-)>>

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah .... $240/set made a whole lot of sense. image

Wondercoin
  • Options

That's a new one.....this forum is jinxed or corrupted..........anyone else agree?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is the consensus that these swhould be submitted sealed in a box to PCGS for grading or should the box be opened first before submitting? Nice appreciation for the set of 70s, even with the grading fees, it seems.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So is the consensus that these swhould be submitted sealed in a box to PCGS for grading or should the box be opened first before submitting? Nice appreciation for the set of 70s, even with the grading fees, it seems. >>

All depends on whether you want the $1 Commen to be graded. If you want the dollar to be graded, the you might as well send it sealed and get the label. (You also won't get a first strike set label if you open the box.)

On the other hand, if you just want the dimes, the you can at least inspect them before submission to see if they're worth submitting.

So, it just depends on your priorities.
  • Options
    Prices rise on Ebay tonight PCGS 70s .. $455 .. and $381image
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>USM032035xx backordered to August >>

That's amazing. You're only about 17k orders in from order #1 on a 75k limit set. I'm 19k in and ordered 1 hour after the on sale time.
  • Options

<< <i>$455
    image >>

Sad some forum members sold all 5 sets for much less ...than what 1 PCGS 70s set sold image
  • Options
    Bestday: Just yesterday afternoon, I was having lunch with a board member I had never met who was dropping off some sets to me and he was feeling a bit sorry for me (as I was for myself) when the sets were selling on ebay for just $270! image

Back out the grading fees and the cost of the sets, as well as the 60% of the coins that would likely not grade 70, we calculated very little return on sets purchased in the aftermarket.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Wondercoin

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    These coins prices will crash over time as more sets are released and graded. If you have them, sell them. As usual the mint screwed up the sale of these by not having enough sets available to ship. I thought they learned that lesson but apparently they have a short memory.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    These coins prices will crash over time as more sets are released and graded. If you have them, sell them. As usual the mint screwed up the sale of these by not having enough sets available to ship. I thought they learned that lesson but apparently they have a short memory.

I think the mint is cautious of over producing a coin that may not be popular. They were testing the waters as usual to see the popularity of the set. Producing all 75K of a coin with no proven track record would probably not be wise.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The early bird gets the worm on this one.

Those like me who ordered immediately and were the first to receive the coins but held off on grading lost out.

The time to sell would seem to be right now. This is very likely the peak or near peak.

I'll be sending mine into our host tomorrow. However, by the time that I get them back they'll almost certainly be on the way down.

Contrags to those who graded immediately and are now able to cash in before prices drop!! You took that risk and it paid off well.

We saw this same thing with the HOF First Pitch/Opening Day coins. Unlike these I knew that the FP/OD slabbed coins would be winners so I paid big $ for slabbing.

Of course, I sold a set of the $5 70s for $4K only to see them reach $4K/coin.

Can someone post a link to the PCGS instructions for submitting these sets? I can't find it. Clearly not enough coffee yet. Thanks!!

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>$455
    image >>

Sad some forum members sold all 5 sets for much less ...than what 1 PCGS 70s set sold image >>

Don't have the time now to figure it out but it would be interesting to know what the difference is when one factors in grading fees, postage and 69s.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    OMG !

I didn't want these at issue price. But now that they're shooting for the moon - I want some - NOT !

When they drop to below issue - I still won't want any. image
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other day L&C Coins had the 3 piece sets in PCGS 70 listed for $199. They are gone now! Ya think he sold out or pulled them? Now he only has 69 sets for $130. He must have quite the deal on grading fees!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>$455
    image >>

Sad some forum members sold all 5 sets for much less ...than what 1 PCGS 70s set sold image >>

Don't have the time now to figure it out but it would be interesting to know what the difference is when one factors in grading fees, postage and 69s. >>

Sealed sets will rise with the 70s sets .. people will be looking for a lotto find ,, keep those sets sealed if for resale .. up this thread .. wondercoin laid out the economics for fees for PCGS submissions.. good post

Avoid 69s sets .... limited price appreciation
  • Options

<< <i>OMG !

I didn't want these at issue price. But now that they're shooting for the moon - I want some - NOT !

When they drop to below issue - I still won't want any. image >>

As with some other issues its not whether u want them but that u can make some good, fast $ to get what u do want :-)

In this case I'm glad that I ordered given my uncertainty over the demand. I'm sorry that I didn't immediately grade. Oh well.

As to holding sealed sets, if these behave like so many other limited mintage moderns what we're seeing now is likely the peak or near peak. The best time to sell is likely now or in the next 1 - 3 weeks or so before they start to dip. If they ever do recover to the peak levels once they drop it will likely take years. Like many on this forum I've all too many times regretted holding too long.

Of course, with a few issues like the '08 W Buffs holding was the thing to do. I don't think that these are like the '08 W Buffs.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC quick ratio analysis. For what it is worth, could be missing other variables such as minimum grade and ungraded sets.
    I reviewed one dealer selling on Ebay and found that of 345 sets he had sold and still has in stock:
    I did this buy taking the number of sets sold on ebay and the number of sets available for sale on the website.
    200 sets were graded 70 and 145 sets were graded 69 = 58% grading 70 for NGC

Disclaimer: I did not buy any and I am not selling any. I just love to play with the numbers and follow the trends.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Wouldn't the pop reports be more accurate than just looking at totals from one eBay seller?
  • Options

<< <i>Wouldn't the pop reports be more accurate than just looking at totals from one eBay seller? >>

Yes indeed .. can't draw any meaningful 70s ratio by 1 ebay seller..... a waste of time.. wait for pop reports

Some Ebay sellers of the March of Dimes set offering EbayBucks..... will Ebay come out with a bonus ebucks offer this week ?
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wouldn't the pop reports be more accurate than just looking at totals from one eBay seller? >>

Yes indeed .. can't draw any meaningful 70s ratio by 1 ebay seller..... a waste of time.. wait for pop reports >>

All gusses based on early populations are bs, however it was a sampling of ( 345 ) sets submitted and it does not matter
    if it is from one submitter of 25 submitters. Many flippers on this forum use BS projections from early populations
    of under 100 units which is total BS., to claim their coins are rare or of a smaller percentage.

Numbers are numbers and most of the time can be easily twisted to say what you want them to say.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file