Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

March Of Dimes set.. PCGS,NGC 69s ,lower PCGS 70s $335 - $406

Comments

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>US Mint Dime set debuts on May 4th .... Philadelphia Reverse Proof dime and a West Point proof dime included in set .. with only 75,000 mintage..the Silver Dollar in the set has a total mintage of 500,000

The 1996 dime goes for around $10-13.. with a mintage of 1.5 million.. >>

I like this analysis, but I wonder if the real question is if there are 75,000 Roosevelt collectors. I enjoy these dimes myself, but that number seems high.

I looked up the 96-W dime and see that it was sold as part of a Mint Set, which possibly had far broader appeal than this particular combination of two dimes and a commemorative of questionable popularity.

I suppose the other consideration to weigh is how many RP collectors are out there. Do we really like reverse proofs? >>

Does anyone know if the dimes in MOD set will part of the modern commemoratives PCGS registry sets or the dimes? Thanks

Update - I just emailed the fine folks that run the set registry.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Market has absorbed the 1st 25,000- 30,000 sets very well.. key is how market reacts to the PCGS sets ,coming on the market next week
    The Set's 2 unique dimes makes for a strong market down the road...amused the naysayers jumped so quickly after set release to pronounce sets dead .. they were just as negative before the release of 2015 MOD sets.image

The current bid on PCGS 70s set is $ 418.00 .....with 4 hours to go today
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally receiving My box of 5 this Friday via UPS, hold, sell unopened box, or send to PCGS? The cutoff for the FS label is when?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    June 4th
  • Options

<< <i>Finally receiving My box of 5 this Friday via UPS, hold, sell unopened box, or send to PCGS? The cutoff for the FS label is when? >>

Anyone still waiting after this week for delivery of sets from iMint ?
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭
    My two sets should be here Friday, shipped yesterday.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, the latest (22) Reverse Proof Dimes to hit the pop report show (20) grading MS69 and (2) grading MS70!!

I personally just got back a report today (not currently in the pop report) showing that of my first (30) Rev Pr Dimes, just (6) graded (70), or just 20%. I guess I shouldn't feel as bad as the guy before me who had a 9% grade through rate on the (22) new dimes showing in the pop today (and that assumes that none graded 68 and did not hit the min grade!)

The published pop on the Reverse Proof Dime shows about a 36% grade through rate (43/119), but I suspect the actual rate might be even less than that.

Oh boy!

Wondercoin

edited to add ... the $400/set PR70 buyers may not be as bad off as some have suggested!!
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you thebigeng, at least I have some time to think it over.
    I'm assuming the unopened box has to be sent in for the set designation, seeing that the proof is offered as a single.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Finally receiving My box of 5 this Friday via UPS, hold, sell unopened box, or send to PCGS? The cutoff for the FS label is when? >>

As long as you keep them sealed there is no cut off date. But if opened then it is 6/4/15 I believe I read on this forum.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even the 69's are not bad at $120 to $130 for a graded set but I can see they are mostly NGC holders. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even the 69's are not bad at $120 to $130 for a graded set but I can see they are mostly NGC holders. image >>

There are also plenty of 69 sets graded by PCGS for $130+
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would stick either with the raw at $65 or pay the premium for PF70 (easier to say when they were at $220-250 than the current $350-450). Paying any kind of premium over raw price for PF69 seems to be the worst of both worlds...
  • Options
    May 20, 2015.....eBay Auction

$423
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Whoever is submitting and getting 69s is losing money I think. At best, they might break even.

• Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I would stick either with the raw at $65 or pay the premium for PF70 (easier to say when they were at $220-250 than the current $350-450). Paying any kind of premium over raw price for PF69 seems to be the worst of both worlds... >>

Yep, I have learned that lesson couple times. I'm not sure how many people how up 69 and 70 point out the different from nake eyes. But price range and popularity are big different.
  • Options
    Even if you get $130 for a 69 set, you net about $105 after free shipping, paypal and ebay fees. You pay over $30 to grade the (3) coins and if you paid $75/set or more to buy them in the aftermarket, you LOSE on every 69 set you grade (and I did not even count costs of delivering the coins to the grading service or getting them back). So, when I got my first result today and I got (6) Rev Proof Dimes in 70 grade out of 30 sets, that was not so good (to say the least). The First Strike period is half over today and there are just (43) possible (3-pc) 70 sets through todays' pop report. Very interesting.

Wondercoin

Edited to add... can someone assess (best guess) how NGC is grading out the coins from any of their pop numbers?
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Whoever is submitting and getting 69s is losing money I think. At best, they might break even. >>

I agree with your former charge....they are losing $$$$$

If one set submission(hypothetical)

First Strike for 3 coins is $54 alone.

Economy Fee: $20 x 3 = $60

Handling fee $10

Return Shipping = $21

54 + 60 + 10 + 21 = $145

add $65 for Mint Cost and you got $210 out of pocket.

Sell the 69 set for $135

Net loss: -$75

ps. I left out shipping to PCGS image

pss. Left out eBay and PayPal fees

69 set sold for $135.50 just now
  • Options

<< <i>Even if you get $130 for a 69 set, you net about $105 after free shipping, paypal and ebay fees. You pay over $30 to grade the (3) coins and if you paid $75/set or more to buy them in the aftermarket, you LOSE on every 69 set you grade (and I did not even count costs of delivering the coins to the grading service or getting them back). So, when I got my first result today and I got (6) Rev Proof Dimes in 70 grade out of 30 sets, that was not so good (to say the least). The First Strike period is half over today and there are just (43) possible (3-pc) 70 sets through todays' pop report. Very interesting.

Wondercoin >>

PCGS 70s set sold for $423.00 tonight.. Wondercoin do happen to open sets to look at the quality of dimes ?.. Revers Proof in 70 1st Strike .. undervalued... many sets ready for grading
  • Options
    Goldbully ... Did you also leave out paypal fees, ebay fees and free shipping to the winning bidder?

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Goldbully ... Did you also leave out paypal fees, ebay fees and free shipping to the winning bidder?

Wondercoin >>

I did
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Bestday... I have seen may dimes as "this guy's wife" and "that guy's wife" opened the boxes by accident and I still honored my buy price from the board members (you guys know who you are) image One box was delivered to a neighbor and they opened the coins before UPS could take them back. LOL.

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>These buyers did VERY well! >>

They did??? How so?
  • Options
    It was confusing ... I do see those were 69 sets, now worth about $135/set. Those buyers, in fact, did not do so well.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure the dealers selling the 69 graded sets right now are still making money. It looks like most the sellers who have them in hand now are the bigger dealers that submit in bulk, and assuming they had enough coins for a bulk submission they certainly did not pay anywhere near the $30+ per coin to get those coins graded.

But for the average collectors club member, if you paid the normal rates to submit and you get back 69s, then yeah, probably going to be in the red a little bit.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Edited to add... can someone assess (best guess) how NGC is grading out the coins from any of their pop numbers? >>

NGC seems to be notoriously slow in posting pops lately. Here's my numbers posted in the other thread. Had three sets graded by NGC:

3 MoD sets w/expidited shipping: $198.80
    Flat rate priority shipping (to NGC): $17.90
    Grading, w/Early Releases, OGP return and return shipping: $216

Total is $144.25/set.

Results,

2015W Early Release MoD $1 Commem: 2-PF70UC, 1-PF69UC
    2015P RP Early Release 10C: 2-PF70, 1-PF69
    2015W Early Release 10C: 3-PF70UC

So I could sell my PF69/PF69/PF70 set for a loss, and still be ahead.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>These buyers did VERY well! >>

They did??? How so? >>

Sorry. Messed up the link. Was to a set of 70s. Not near a computer to fix the link right now.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <--- still terrified for grades.

grades not posted on mine. they went modern tier and sealed.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I was looking at it is you can but a raw open set for $100 but will never get the dollar graded as part of the set in 1st strike or buy a not open set send it in and pay up the you know... or get a complet graded set 1st strike in the special label PR69 for $135 so I think that will be your best deal. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    One retail dealer last week was offering 70 set PCGS FS for 230
    Now they are not available
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I won't buy graded silver because of the spotting issues except for special ASE anniversary sets which are in NGC. So far those have not spotted even the 2006 anniversary set.

The last PCGS graded silver set I bought was a PCGS 2011 25th Anniversary 70 Set which spotted. Thankfully I was able to sell it because the best coins did not spot but did take a $1k loss because the market price dropped dramatically on these. Good luck with any kind of ultra modern graded silver. I won't buy it since the spotting guarantee was eliminated.

I also have not submitted to PCGS in a few years, but probably will get some PF/MS 70 worthy gold graded with them in the future.

As far as the MOD sets, common folk probably won't make out on these because they get no breaks on the grading fees. The dealers may do Ok because of their discount grading fees.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even if you get $130 for a 69 set, you net about $105 after free shipping, paypal and ebay fees. You pay over $30 to grade the (3) coins and if you paid $75/set or more to buy them in the aftermarket, you LOSE on every 69 set you grade (and I did not even count costs of delivering the coins to the grading service or getting them back). So, when I got my first result today and I got (6) Rev Proof Dimes in 70 grade out of 30 sets, that was not so good (to say the least). The First Strike period is half over today and there are just (43) possible (3-pc) 70 sets through todays' pop report. Very interesting.

Wondercoin

Edited to add... can someone assess (best guess) how NGC is grading out the coins from any of their pop numbers? >>

Read my quick analysis of 245 NGC sets earlier in this thread.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    25 MOD sealed sets sell on BST Tues-Wed ...... for 5 sets .... $435 - $450.....$ 500- $535.00 prices on Ebay
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It was confusing ... I do see those were 69 sets, now worth about $135/set. Those buyers, in fact, did not do so well.

Wondercoin >>

Look at the "Item condition" line, it says "Perfect 70". The pic shows 69s.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest Set Population Report

First non minimum grade submission grades of 68 and 67 show up

• Options
    $375 for PCGS 70 sets
    Limit one set per customer

I doubt you will see a $400 set again.....anyone else?
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    This set will stay off / above the asking price after all the grading costs....

Long term....similar to the 2011 five pc ASE Anny set

MHO
  • Options

<< <i>$375 for PCGS 70 sets
    Limit one set per customer

I doubt you will see a $400 set again.....anyone else? >>

Delivery in 2 weeks, so not in hand ..... if these 70s sets disappear quickly .. another sign of good demand
  • Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    I saw one dealer today that has MS70 sets for $375, he had some listed a few days ago for $230.

PS I meant PR 70
  • Options

<< <i>I saw one dealer today that has MS70 sets for $375, he had some listed a few days ago for $230. >>

Is there an Unc set of these coins too? If so, I missed it.

L&C had proof 70 sets for $240 a few days ago and now they are $375.....10 sets available.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Latest Set Population Report

First non minimum grade submission grades of 68 and 67 show up >>

Thank you for posting the POPS for this, oh so popular Mint issue, Kudbegud. image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <--- still terrified for grades

buddy can you spare a 70 dime?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i><--- still terrified for grades

buddy can you spare a 70 dime? >>

No, but can I spare a great Three Stooges 'Terrified' Image just right for your predicament?

Why I believe I can, MsMorrisine................................

• Options
    I hear that they are available again on the mint website...too lazy to confirm.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Not anymore...they were there a tad over an hour ago
  • Options

<< <i>I hear that they are available again on the mint website...too lazy to confirm. >>

Returns and order cancels.... the post back up got it right ,the 2015 MOD set will parallel the 2011 Silver Anniv set....in continued popularity..
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My unopened box of five went into the safe.....talk to me in a couple of years.....

Or, I'll get an itch to trade for something I really want before that...

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    The ONLY Mint product I have ever kept in an unopened box is a 2006 20th Annie ASE set....tucked away somewhere. but then again I had 30 sets graded and this was a spur of the moment single set order.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file