Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll admit that those prices are higher than I expected
    No experience with Mercs or discovery pieces. Just my gut feeling.

<< <i>My feeling is that the VG-08 traded hands for as much as it did because it was believed to have been the discovery piece by Leo. >>

Can anyone explain this? There shouldn't be any confusion about StrikeOutXXX's discovery coin.

I find the disclosure of the private transactions, interesting, slightly strange, and useful.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll admit that those prices are higher than I expected
    No experience with Mercs or discovery pieces. Just my gut feeling.

<< <i>My feeling is that the VG-08 traded hands for as much as it did because it was believed to have been the discovery piece by Leo. >>

Can anyone explain this? There shouldn't be any confusion about StrikeOutXXX's discovery coin.

I find the disclosure of the private transactions, interesting, slightly strange, and useful. >>

Yea, kind of strange, but seeing as these are the first ever sales of this variety, and so many people (and publishers) wondering/wanting to know/asking, seemed helpful.

3 have sold that we know of, all to Leo Frese, who had/has clients for these I believe. He made a blog post a few months back basically a "Wanted to Buy" ad for these and think he made his contacts to both buy and sell from that primarily.

I do not know the owner(s) of the 3 graded Good at NGC, or the XF example shown to Rick Show (Believe that is still in the certification process), but the other 4 were all reported directly or second-hand through the forums, so those were easier to track. Plus, Leo has been cool letting the numbers be known, he is afterall making the market on them I suppose. He even wrote a story for CoinWeek about selling the first one here: http://www.coinweek.com/coins/error-coins/us-coins-leo-frese-reports-sale-of-recently-discovered-1919-double-die-coin/

I don't know the whole story on the discovery coin - Rich Uhrich contacted me and said he had purchased the VG-08 from Leo, and had it listed on his website if I was interested (Think he read a post a few weeks back of mine inside the thread thinking I was looking for one and wasn't aware I was the OP on this coin/thread). When I saw his listing, I PMd him back saying his listing was a little incorrect, that I still had the discovery coin with me, it was my pictures and coin on the Coin World cover, etc. He quickly edited his listing though once he found out - Kudos for that. Rich said that's how Leo presented it to him, and I believe Leo also believed this to be true when he bought the coin from Bjorn. Not sure how the mix-up in translation went, Bjorn had the first certified by PCGS (still the only one) so maybe something got mixed up in terminology there, but don't care to speculate further on that one. Within a few days of the first sale though, I think everybody figured everything out.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the weekend, folks! Let's get out there and cherrypick!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    FYI, #9 has been found by a forum member over at the Cointalk forums while roll searching scrap silver.

Looks to be an AG example, but only a close-up has been posted so not sure yet on exact grade.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news! It's been a while it seems.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    It has been a while!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still searching antique shops (several have coin displays) and gun shows..... no luck so far.... Cheers, RickO
    Oh, I have made some mistakes in my life that made he ask myself

"Self, WTF were you thinking? Or not thinking?"

Nobody is perfrekt.
    Here is the Obv of example #9. I'll call it AG in the census for now, not sure how this would grade anywhere, very rough.

Edit for below - called it "AG Details - Damaged" in the census.

That would be AG DETAILS, certainly not an AG.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    AG details. hammered, bent.
    ttt
  • unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    Spoke to two dealers last weekend and neither had heard of it.... could be a cherrypickers dream.
    ttt for the weekend cherrypicking crowd
    I am waiting to Cherrypick a nice MSFB example in PCGS plastic at FUN. image
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It is nice to seen such a worn example along with how much detail is there.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Just checking pop reports, and I see PCGS has an XF40 now in the report.

Rick Snow - Can you ask your friend who showed you the raw coin in Baltimore if that is his coin (#8)? I guess it is also possible that Leo Frese crossed the ANACS EF-40 coin over as well.

Unless the PCGS-40 coin is a new discovery, I believe we are still at 9 known examples!

1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam)

2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - Own inventory - John Hodson

3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhrich

4) ANACS EF-40 small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin) > Leo Frese

5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown

8) XF - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15 - No further details yet.

9) AG Details - Damaged - Roll searching, Alan Davis -Cointalk forums.

FYI all you Cherrypickers - #10 has been found

Congratulations to Natchez14 over on the NGC Forums for the latest find.

I try to update the 1st post (New software seems to format it kind of cruddy, but)
      1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam) > Leo Frese
      2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - Own inventory - John Hodson
      3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhrich
      4) ANACS EF-40 > PCGS XF-40 - small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin) > Leo Frese > ? > Great Collections
      5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
      6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
      7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
      8) XF - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15
      9) AG Details - Damaged - Roll searching, Alan Davis -Cointalk forums
      10) Good - 90% merc bag find - Natchez14 - (NGC Message Boards)

FYI - Ian Russell let me know the PCGS XF-40 was crossed from the ANACS EF-40 (Coin #4) and will be going through Great Collections soon.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any background on where #10 was located? More to the point, has anyone scored one of these unattributed from an online auction site yet?

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    Originally posted by: seanq
    Any background on where #10 was located? More to the point, has anyone scored one of these unattributed from an online auction site yet?

Sean Reynolds

He posted on the Coin Community Board (as well as the NGC) that he found it in a 90% Merc Bag.

As far as I know, nobody has got one unattributed from an online auction (From a dealer's folder, yes - not online) - but the world is big, I only keep up with the Pop reports, and 4 different forums. I'm sure there are more, and anything is possible, but those 10 are all that's known & confirmed to me.

I still look at newly listed 1919 Mercs (And judging by the views, only about 5-10 others do as well) so who knows what will be found.

FYI - Ian Russell let me know the PCGS XF-40 was crossed from the ANACS EF-40 (Coin #4) and will be going through Great Collections soon.

Sweet Mother!

That coin already traded hands for a healthy sum. It sure would be nice to see it go in a TRUE auction that starts at $1 but I am guessing the consignor will protect themselves with a high starting bid. We will see.

Originally posted by: keyman64

Sweet Mother!
    That coin already traded hands for a healthy sum. It sure would be nice to see it go in a TRUE auction that starts at $1 but I am guessing the consignor will protect themselves with a high starting bid. We will see.

I'm guessing between you, DimeMan, & Fcloud, they have a built-in reserve already ;-)

I would certainly be brave enough to start the bidding at $1. Dimeman might take it to $2 and then fcloud might come out of retirement and place a $3 or $4 bid on it? image
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I can't believe that there is this much to talk about on a dime. 33 pages, that is a WOW to me.
    Not 33 pages for me. I have my settings set for 100 posts per page! image

Also, it might have something to do with this being a major/newly discovered

variety that will be in the next Red Book...and because of the demand and

because it's cool and a couple have already sold for strong money and....
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I would certainly be brave enough to start the bidding at $1. Dimeman might take it to $2 and then fcloud might come out of retirement and place a $3 or $4 bid on it? image

Oh, I think I would bid...

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am eagerly waiting to watch it go to auction. I still look. Every 1919 dime I see, I hold my breath a little... Then exhale and shake my head no.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's really cool that so many collectors are pumped up about a coin as ubiquitous as a 1919 dime.

Just proves that you will never find anything "new" if you don't look, and, certainly many more interesting varieties hiding in plain sight are just waiting to be found and publicized.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if relatively "big" doubled dies were to be found in modern coins with huge mintages, for example a 1965 dime or similar coin.

How many of us scrutinize the reverse of 1965 dimes?

Or 1974 quarters?

Just throwing out a hypothetical here.

Sometimes it might be beneficial to be a contrarian and search coins that perhaps very few people are thinking about.
    I wonder if an Uncirculated piece will ever be found?
  • Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Been quietly working on it but have not had any luck as of yet. I will honestly post here first if I find one.

Only 1 Mint State 1941 DDO FS-101 has been located after several years of searching.

Granted, not as many people search for that as there will be people searching for the 1919.

I'd like to think it's possible. image
    It has been confirmed that the 1919 DDO Great Collections auction will start at $1 with no reserve! My hat's off to the consignor!!! image
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
      Not sure.
      There are only about 1,000 1919 Merc even certified, with most of those being MS.
      Their lower value probably drove that, but how many MS pieces survived circulation/melting, etc?
      I'd love to see one though. My guess is there will be quite a few more show up heavily circulated, but "Collector Grade" coins are going to be tough. Just look at the 10 now:
      The bottom:
      1 AG Damaged
      4 Goods
      The middle
      1 VG
      1 VF
      2 XF
      The Wildcard
      1 AU Details/Environmental Damage.
      I suspect over time, even if the numbers increase, it will remain somewhat similar in grade composition, but the CPG & Redbook may help, still a ton of folks not even aware of this yet.

strong money and.....

keyman64 I was waiting for the rest of the story. I know it is rare and expensive but..........
    Originally posted by: winky

strong money and.....

keyman64 I was waiting for the rest of the story. I know it is rare and expensive but..........

Well, I think I said a lot....including that it is really cool. In my eyes it is a MORE SIGNIFICANT variety than the 1942/1-D Merc which has been featured in the Red Book forever, next to the 1942/1 and 1945-Micro S. It is also 23 years older than the 1942. The variety can be seen in much lower grades than the 1942/1-D and I speak from experience since I have actually Cherrypicked a 1942/1-D Merc in F-15...but it took a good eye at that level...a few dealers I showed it to did not think I had found anything...until it came back slabbed with attribution! The new 1919 DDO can be identified in AG, a lot of varieties cannot be.

I really say all of this stuff as a very passionate Mercury Dime fan and variety fan in general. If you don't care for Mercs or for Varieties, you will have ZERO interest in this thread. No doubt about that. It takes a lot to get a new major variety listed in the Red Book and it looks like this one might do that. That is pretty exciting.

Your post where you indicated your surprise that there were so many posts in this thread got me thinking about another thread on the forums, a 2009 Lincoln Cent Variety thread I think it is....that thread has a TON of posts. It is a modern coin that I don't have any interest in so that thread really came to my mind when I read your post. It took this 1919 almost 100 years to really become publicized/discovered which is very cool!

If people are passionate about something, they will talk/post about it. Pretty simple I guess.
    Well said Keyman!! I love cherrypicking varieties. Not because I am a variety collector, but to sell them at a profit and then turn that profit into coins to add to my collection. It's amazing what some dealers overlook in their inventories. Just recently I picked up a 1964 Kennedy Half with a decent clipped planchet. How do you not notice that? Oh well, I'll take it at melt.
    kenman64 I am so pleased with your response that I say THANK YOU. I really mean it as I only collect variety's and regular coins don't do it for me unless very rare. I also like Merc's but never got into them.

I know it is significant to get anything in the Red book and yes that would be exciting for all the Merc folks.

You may know that I reply to a lot of post, some for the fun of it and some for sincere as I love all coins in general. Sometimes I like to tease folks but no pun intended and not intended for you as I just wanted to know the rest of the story and for that I say

thanks.

By the way 2009 Lincoln's do nothing for me either, variety or not.

Anyway have a good day.
  • A 2009 variety at 1000+ X face is a little bit cool and in 2009 they had the most significant single squeeze doubled dies happen. Strange that they did not take off considering they were said to be impossible.

It has been confirmed that the 1919 DDO Great Collections auction will start at $1 with no reserve! My hat's off to the consignor!!! image

When does the sale take place?
  • Originally posted by: keyman64

Any word yet on when this auction will take place?

I'm eager to see how it goes.

Successful transactions with Schmitz7, Bigbuck1975, chumley, CCHunter, Smittys, Gerard, Tookybandit, MorganMan94, LogPotato, coinlieutenant, GoldCoin98, pcgs69, Kccoin, ajaan, JBN, BLee23,....

I have reached out to find out. I will update as soon as I have word. image

I have reached out to find out. I will update as soon as I have word. image
    The timing of the listing should be known by the end of the week. I will update when I learn of anything. Also, if you would like to see the coin, it is available for your viewing pleasure at Winter FUN this week. Great Collections table 1030. I will be stopping by the table to see it. image

Bidding ends February 14th.

I'm the current high bidder.

Go big or go home! imageimage

http://www.greatcollections.co...-DDO-FS-101-PCGS-XF-40

LOL, over $1,000 already.

Let's see - the PCGS VG-8 is listed at Rich Uhrich for $4,950
    The ANACS VF-20 Discovery coin is on eBay for $11,550

Any guesses what the Great Collections PCGS XF-40 goes for?

My guess is.... $7950

It didn't take long for a more serious bidder to step up and pass my token $500 bid.

I'm excited to see where this thing ends up. I'm going to look at it in hand tomorrow.

I'm just doing HA lot viewing today....half way done.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will be fun to watch. Like is always said, it only takes two......

Whoever wins it better love it seeing how it ends on Valentines day. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

I think I miss her, just a little.
    I have the auction bookmarked. Watching with anticipation.

Thanks for the link!

How does their bidder number system work? I looked at it earlier, and at the time Bidder #4 was high with a distinctive number, I think it was $1,024.75. That bidder is now #7. How do the bidder numbers change?

Thanks for the link!

How does their bidder number system work? I looked at it earlier, and at the time Bidder #4 was high with a distinctive number, I think it was $1,024.75. That bidder is now #7. How do the bidder numbers change?

If you were to jump in and bid for the first time and be the high bidder, you would likely be bidder #8. Then if I jumped back in and was high bidder, it would show the high bidder to be bidder #1 as I was the first to bid on the lot. That is how I believe it works.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file