Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see it on eBay. Wow. All the power to you if you can get that much!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>>>>Just got the coin back from PC today, will go up on ebay this afternoon <<<

I was hoping for a true auction.......image >>

Me too, hopefully we will see a true auction soon enough now that we have had a number of them found.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me in that grade it is a $300 coin......$500 in AU.......and maybe $750-1000 in unc depending on how nice.

<< <i>To me in that grade it is a $300 coin......$500 in AU.......and maybe $750-1000 in unc depending on how nice. >>

I disagree even considering I have focused my past Merc Variety collection on Top Pop Mint State, I have little to no interest in low circ examples as well but some people will just want to fill any hole. If this coin makes it into the Merc Major Variety Registry Set then this coin even in low grade can make a huge difference with the top players. If only one is available for sale and the 3rd place guy buys even a low grade example maybe he shoots to #1.

Since this is really the only one available in a PCGS holder right now, out in the open any way....then it is certainly a 4 figure coin but with patience I do not see the need to spend $7900 for a VG8....eventually, after many more are found (hopefully they will be found), then I think this will become a 3 figure coin in VG8. It is not even listed in the Complete Variety Set yet so it is kinda useless to anyone. Once it is added to the sets it will be come useful. Maybe I will message BJ about when this might happen...unless someone else has already done this?
    It won't go into the sets until it hits the CPG. This has always been the policy.

I really don't know how it got a PCGS number. What is soooooo special about this variety!!!!?????

I have tried to get new varieties a lot neater than this one and NO-GO until it's in the CPG!

Somebody must know somebody!!!!

<< <i>What is soooooo special about this variety!!!!????? >>

It is a very wide spread obverse DDO that can be easily seen with a 5x power loupe.

<< <i>I have tried to get new varieties a lot neater than this one and NO-GO until it's in the CPG!

Somebody must know somebody!!!! >>

Which ones are cooler than this? I am very curious. I don't know of any that are worthy and I would think I would.
    >>>Which ones are cooler than this? I am very curious. I don't know of any that are worthy and I would think I would. <<<

There are a bunch of RPM's cooler. Too numerous to list.

<< <i>>>>Which ones are cooler than this? I am very curious. I don't know of any that are worthy and I would think I would. <<<

There are a bunch of RPM's cooler. Too numerous to list. >>

And those require at least a 10x, if not a 16x or 20x. They are much smaller and on the reverse. I disagree with you. A couple ARE more significant than some RPMs currently listed in the CPG...I will agree with that but they are not more significant or desirable than this DDO. This is apple and oranges comparison realm.
    Here is a "Significant RPM" not currently in the CPG and it is more significant than some currently listed in the CPG but it is not more significant than this wide spread DDO. This RPM can even be easily seen with a 10x or lesser power loupe.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see it on eBay. Wow. All the power to you if you can get that much! >>

Linky?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Your 42-S/S is just as easy to see as the 1919 DDO. There is a neat 36-D/D/D and the 43-D/Inv D to name 2.

Most all Dime varieties need a glass just because of the size of the coin.

If you don't want to have to use a glass....collect Capped Bust Halves!image

<< <i>

<< <i>I see it on eBay. Wow. All the power to you if you can get that much! >>

Linky? >>

Linky $7,900

<< <i>Your 42-S/S is just as easy to see as the 1919 DDO. >>

I disagree and the variety is a DDO which is traditionally a much more desirable variety. It is in a prime focal area as well. Merc MMs are freaky tiny whereas a large vertical bar to the right of the 2nd t in Trust is a lot more obvious.

We will clearly disagree on this point and I think many others will disagree with you as well.
    I disagree with DDO's being better than RPM's and RPD's. I much prefer the RPD's and RPM's.

As far as DDO's go the 1873 DDO Dime is way better than this. And the 1955 DDO Lincoln Cent has to be the coolest DDO of all.

<< <i>I disagree with DDO's being better than RPM's and RPD's. I much prefer the RPD's and RPM's. >>

No RPDs in the Merc Series. Need to make sure we keep within the Merc Series here.

<< <i>As far as DDO's go the 1873 DDO Dime is way better than this. And the 1955 DDO Lincoln Cent has to be the coolest DDO of all. >>

Well DUH, of course I agree with this but we have to make sure we compare apples to apples and keep within the Merc Series.

Thank you.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>>Which ones are cooler than this? I am very curious. I don't know of any that are worthy and I would think I would. <<<

There are a bunch of RPM's cooler. Too numerous to list. >>

Let's be real. Nobody cares about RPMs.
    >>>Let's be real. Nobody cares about RPMs. <<<

You are kidding.......right???image

<< <i>>>>Let's be real. Nobody cares about RPMs. <<<

You are kidding.......right???image >>

I think everything is relative! When comparing the two, I believe most would prefer a cool DDO over a cool RPM just about any day.

As for no one caring about RPMs, I disagree! I have sold enough top pop RPMs to know that the moon money paid tells me that people do care!
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>>>>Let's be real. Nobody cares about RPMs. <<<

You are kidding.......right???image >>

I think everything is relative! When comparing the two, I believe most would prefer a cool DDO over a cool RPM just about any day.

As for no one caring about RPMs, I disagree! I have sold enough top pop RPMs to know that the moon money paid tells me that people do care! >>

Actually, relativity is a social construct that began in the mid to late 60's. It was only after multiple revisions to our historical records that it became accepted as fact.

Getting back on topic: Let's be real. Nobody cares about RPMs.
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!! I finally got mine back in hand. I had been contemplating listing it on eBay as a reserved auction to see what kind of interest it could draw. I have also contacted Heritage and GreatCollections. Ian Russell from GreatCollection has suggested I send it to PCGS to try to get it cross graded and then listed as a 21 - 28 day auction. I am seriously on the fence about sending it to PCGS. I have a dealer locally who will submit it for me. I have been comparing it to the PCGS Photo Grade and the obverse of my dime falls right between the VF-35 and XF-40 grades and the reverse exceeds the XF-40. I know that the obverse makes for a higher percentage of the overall grade, but factoring in the reverse and that the obverse falls between 35 and 40, I think it just may cross. I am including the sample photo's.

PCGS VF-35 Photograde images

PCGS XF-40 Photograde images

My dime
    It's the same dang coin regardless of what plastic it is in, a PCGS-35 or an ANACS-40!!!
    >>>Actually, relativity is a social construct that began in the mid to late 60's. It was only after multiple revisions to our historical records that it became accepted as fact.

Getting back on topic: Let's be real. Nobody cares about RPMs. <<<

Sorry.....but you are wrong......a lot of us care.imageimage
    Capt, I understand your point. I'm just trying to get guidance. I've had several people recommend that I get it in a PCGS holder rather than the ANACS. It has been questioned as to wether it would make XF-40 at PCGS or not. It makes it easier to market and would command a higher price in a PCGS holder. I'm wanting to sell it, just trying to figure out the when and the best way to get the most out of it. This is by far the most valuable coin I have ever owned. I would like to eventually sell it and purchase other coins that I would rather have in my collection as well as do something for my family. I apologize if I am coming off as annoying.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Capt, I understand your point. I'm just trying to get guidance. I've had several people recommend that I get it in a PCGS holder rather than the ANACS. It has been questioned as to wether it would make XF-40 at PCGS or not. It makes it easier to market and would command a higher price in a PCGS holder. I'm wanting to sell it, just trying to figure out the when and the best way to get the most out of it. This is by far the most valuable coin I have ever owned. I would like to eventually sell it and purchase other coins that I would rather have in my collection as well as do something for my family. I apologize if I am coming off as annoying. >>

The registry sets will play a HUGE factor in whether PCGS or NGC get a higher price I think. For right this moment, you have the highest straight-grade example, whether it's ANACS EF-40 or PCGS VF-35. There is the AU Details/Environmental damage piece, then mine at ANACS VF-20 (Which may be a PCGS F-15 too).

When you first found yours, it was still unclear if/how PCGS would grade these, so your only real choice at the time was ANACS or NGC. I think ANACS was easier for you given who had it to submit for you. I also seem to recall you weren't too concerned with selling it in the near future.

If you now want to liquidate it, coin-value-wise, as the Capt said, it's the same coin, and still the top pop at a straight grade. If you had a price in mind with a Buy-It-Now, it would probably do about the same in either plastic. The new owner would likely cross it into PCGS/NGC in preparation of a registry entry anyhow unless they just didn't care about the registry.

My only concern with selling right now is how little is known about the DDO. Look how you found yours, still folks in the coin realm who don't know. If dealers are unaware, imagine how many collectors are unaware.

If you have a buy-it-now price you want, I'd list it in either plastic. As for a true auction, I think it's going to take a year or more and that CPG and Redbook entry and the Registry Set entries to get this thing to maximum notoriety. Bjorn's coin listed on eBay is going to help some too I think, bring some attention to the DDO.

I have no clue on prices, I guessed in a post here a few weeks ago. I think Bjorn is a little high, think Dimeman is a little low in his estimates, but only time, population, and acceptance will tell. Could surprise us all or disappoint us all.

DIMEMAN/keyman64 - as for your RPM/DDO points - I like pretty much any DDO or RPM. I would rather have a MAJOR RPM than a very MINOR DDO, but... I consider this DDO to be a MAJOR one - it is visible with the naked eye in upper grades, has a large spread, is in a big focal area, etc. I can't think of any RPM that would outshine this DDO. Don't get me wrong, there are some awesome RPMs out there, and some rather uninteresting Doubled Dies I would call snoozers, but not this one to me.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is by far the most valuable coin I have ever owned. >>

How do you know that? None of them have sold yet. If I was not going to keep this coin, I would get it on the market right this minute before a bunch are found. I am not convinced it is a super valuable coin, but I hope I am wrong.
    Thank you Jeff. I know what I had said about not wanting to sell right away. I don't want to, but I may end up needing to for other reasons. I really do appreciate everyone's feedback so far.

Wabbit2313 Even if this variety is valued at $200.00 is would still qualify as my most valuable coin in my collection. Most of what I have are nice examples of common coins. I am a collector on a very tight budget. The next three coins in my collection would be a 1932-S Washington Quarter in F-VF that I bought at melt, A 1936-D Washington Quarter in XF again bought at melt and a 1938-D Walking Liberty Half in F again bought at melt. That is my specialty right now is cherrypicking, as I can't afford to go out and buy outright key date coins or extremely high grade coins. So this 1919 Merc has been a windfall for me. Most of my collection is for my children after I pass. I have been getting back into Numismatics after quite a long hiatus. I'm still learning to grade and to spot varieties. This forum and a couple of others have been very helpful for me and I appreciate all of your expertise. Thank you.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's the same dang coin regardless of what plastic it is in, a PCGS-35 or an ANACS-40!!! >>

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

jtlee321, get that sucker listed on eBay if it has no particular value to you. The highest known example and the first one ever to sell it, is a once in a lifetime event. I would start it at 99 cents, 10 day auction, and let the market decide. It will be found since someone will post a link to it just to see how it does. Sending back to another grading company, why waste the time and money? If someone decides to sell one in the meantime, you lost your thunder!

My 10 cents anyway.

<< <i>jtlee321, get that sucker listed on eBay if it has no particular value to you. The highest known example and the first one ever to sell it, is a once in a lifetime event. I would start it at 99 cents, 10 day auction, and let the market decide. It will be found since someone will post a link to it just to see how it does. Sending back to another grading company, why waste the time and money? If someone decides to sell one in the meantime, you lost your thunder!

My 10 cents anyway. >>

Justin, I think this is pretty sound advice. You can always add a reserve if you're concerned.

I think I would put a much larger description in the auction than Bjorn did with his. Remember, the vast majority of eBayers are not going to know much about this variety. It certainly doesn't hurt your cause that Bjorn's VG-8 is on eBay now with a BIN of $7900. I think I would do something more along the lines of:

Up for auctions is an ANACS Certified EF-40 1919 Mercury Dime Doubled Die Obverse FS-101.

Hidden for 96 years, this Doubled Die was first reported in February of 2015. It was featured on the front page of the March 16th, 2015 Coin World - the online article can be read here: http://www.coinworld.com/insights/1919-winged-liberty-head-dime-has-doubled-die-obverse.html#

This DDO has already been assigned an FS # (101) from Bill Fivaz and will be included in the next version of the Cherrypicker's Guide.

Both PCGS and NGC recognize the variety and will grade and attribute it.

A representative for Whitman has stated "It looks promising" for inclusion in future Redbook publications.

This DDO is being strongly considered to be included in both the PCGS and NGC Registries.

Information from CONECA can be found here: http://varietyvista.com/Mercury%20Dime%20Files/1919PDDO001.htm

Wexler's Die Varieties lists this as a "Best of" variety here: http://doubleddie.com/1448740.html

As of this listing, this EF-40 is the highest problem-free graded example from any Third-Party Service. There are currently only 7 confirmed examples of this Doubled Die known.

This is the first public "true auction" of this Doubled Die - Get your problem-free "Top-Pop" now!

That sounds good.

<< <i>That sounds good. >>

Justin went with a BIN too - Nice write-up in the auction. Fingers crossed for you.

eBay EF 40 DDO

PS - Justin - you need to fix the coinworld link in the write-up, doesn't work.

I saw that this morning. I don't think any of these BIN listings will close but it does work as advertising of the variety I guess.

<< <i>I saw that this morning. I don't think any of these BIN listings will close but it does work as advertising of the variety I guess. >>

From my own sampling and mingling with collectors and dealers - and nothing against CoinWorld, but my guess is those two eBay auctions will reach more collectors than the entire viewing population of the 4 message boards I've posted on, and the articles/Facebook posts, etc. Strange world we live in on information dissemination.

The EF-40 has a make offer, and much more information in the auction, so my guess is he will at least be busy with his auction. I'd give his a much higher chance of selling than the VG-8 one.

Yes, indeed!
    Yeah. I had been mulling it over. I figure listing it as a "Buy It Now" with "Best Offer" would garner some attention. I want to get as much attention to them as possible, so that when I do or if I do send it to true auction there will have been some non coin nerd types like us to see them. If it does sell at that asking price, which I seriously doubt it will, I will be shocked. But at least I can see if anybody is willing to make offers or ask questions. FYI, I'm willing to sell for far below the BIN price. But this will get me free 30 day advertising for a whopping $1.50. Had I listed as an auction with a reserve then they would charge 2% of the reserve wether or not the coin sells. If it does sell then its an additional 2% on top of the FV fee.

<< <i>Yeah. I had been mulling it over. I figure listing it as a "Buy It Now" with "Best Offer" would garner some attention. I want to get as much attention to them as possible, so that when I do or if I do send it to true auction there will have been some non coin nerd types like us to see them. If it does sell at that asking price, which I seriously doubt it will, I will be shocked. But at least I can see if anybody is willing to make offers or ask questions. FYI, I'm willing to sell for far below the BIN price. But this will get me free 30 day advertising for a whopping $1.50. Had I listed as an auction with a reserve then they would charge 2% of the reserve wether or not the coin sells. If it does sell then its an additional 2% on top of the FV fee. >>

image Good thought process there. Nothing wrong with that. Any offers at all yet? You don't have to say the amounts of course, just curious.
    I have had one offer. My hunch is it may be the same person who made me an offer on here via PM. But I'm not 100% sure on that.
    FYI, I will update as the listing progresses on whether or not more offers come in.

As of now, there are:
    10 watchers
    01 offer
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    eBay no longer shows when you get an offer? That's stupid.
    I will out myself as a watcher of both 1919 DDOs that are on eBay right now. image
    I still say these are waaaaaaaay over priced. Put them in a true auction and let the bidding start.

<< <i>eBay no longer shows when you get an offer? That's stupid. >>

That is stupid. Seeing a pending offer could have the potential to entice a higher offer from someone else or an outright purchase at the BIN price (I know they don't show the offer amount, just that there is one on the table). eBay has really swallowed the stupid pill..
    How many of you guys are watching these auctions? Just so I can get an idea of how many are from the general population.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pic template jtlee.
    Looks great! image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Thanks. I designed it in Photoshop and then put it together in HTML.

You should have done a 99 cent auction. I am rooting for you but still feel there is not going to be overwhelming interest in this, and none at 10 grand. I hope I am wrong.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm watching both.
    I received another offer today. It was higher than the first. I submitted a counter.

Now at:
    19 watchers
    02 offers
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I received another offer today. It was higher than the first. I submitted a counter.

Now at:
    19 watchers
    02 offers >>

This information is useless. I don't see why all of the item's activity needs to be relayed here, that is unless you're sharing the amounts offered or have news that the coin has sold. This is my personal opinion.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file