Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sean, I hope you find one!
    TD >>

Thanks, Tom, if I fail it will not be for lack of trying. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    I just finished looking through my second circ roll, 50 little round lottery tickets, and came up empty. Wherever they're hiding, they're not coming out without a fight.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just finished looking through my second circ roll, 50 little round lottery tickets, and came up empty. Wherever they're hiding, they're not coming out without a fight.

Sean Reynolds >>

Thanks for the update, Sean! We just have to keep searching. I know I looked through thousands of 1941 before I found the ONLY MS example of the significant DDO. More will be found but this just proves it will be a solid challenge.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just finished looking through my second circ roll, 50 little round lottery tickets, and came up empty. Wherever they're hiding, they're not coming out without a fight.

Sean Reynolds >>

I think the problem is-there's not very many hiding anywhere. I think it was noticed during inspection at the Mint and production was stopped, similar as to what happened with the 1916/16 nickel. I'm sure the same thing has happened with other major doubled dies too.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have one of these been sold yet and if so, how much?

<< <i>Have one of these been sold yet and if so, how much? >>

The VG8 is for sale...unless it sold. I know offers were made on the original example that was found but those offers were turned down I believe. Not my place to disclose any figures.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

The VG8 is for sale...unless it sold. I know offers were made on the original example that was found but those offers were turned down I believe. Not my place to disclose any figures.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Sean Reynolds >>

I think the problem is-there's not very many hiding anywhere. I think it was noticed during inspection at the Mint and production was stopped, similar as to what happened with the 1916/16 nickel. I'm sure the same thing has happened with other major doubled dies too. >>

This same explanation is offered for every significant doubled die ever found. In reality, there are hundreds of dies and many thousands of coins produced from each die, so it's like finding a needle in a numismatic haystack. After almost 100 years, you've lost a good many example through natural attrition and circulation wear.
    There are most certainly more to be found, though

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have mine (ANACS VF-20), I believe the #2 coin (cleaned XF) was going to go to market once it made it through grading, and the #3 VG coin found last week the owner was entertaining offers.

So given the 3 known examples, what would you value them at right now?

I had MANY offers when the story broke, some serious trade offers, and using PCGS price guide, hefty numbers. Just no interest to sell it now. I am curious where the rough values land, and what the CPG and Redbook uses for initial value. I was kind of hoping some get run through public auctions so there are records to start a baseline, but nothing yet.

That thread on the 2009 Lincolns where Dentuck asked for values on the DDOs to put in the upcoming book had me thinking where I would place these should he ask. I have a few price theories, but I'd probably be wrong, so will wait till one/some start selling.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

So why is this so top secret? What are the range of offers on the original. That's good enough for me to value them.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I alerted one of our local silver/gold coin buyers to check his current/incoming silver. Did not seem too interested in looking over his stock for the error.And a friend of mine who has been stacking silver for years showed little interest in going over his pile. Odd, they are not looking to possibly increase their profit. Wonder how many of these found the smelter during all the silver booms or became lost in other ways.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

<< <i>So why is this so top secret? What are the range of offers on the original. That's good enough for me to value them. >>

I would hate to interfere with the other 2's sales by giving a #. Could mess up both the sellers and potential buyers of those 2 and future finds. Plus the folks who made offers I'm sure would rather those offers remain confidential as I'm sure they are also chasing the others. Plus, now that there are 3, not sure those offers would even be pertinent/still valid.

I had offers that value-wise, if they were in cash, I probably would had taken, just too good to pass up no matter the sentimental value, but a coin or group of coins offered in trade I don't particularly collect, despite the thousands of dollars the PCGS price guide says it/they are worth, just to sell it/them wasn't really up my alley.

The excitement of a newsworthy find, and the 15 minutes of fame was awesome enough. I'm content to sit back and see where they end up value-wise by the bidders as they come up at auctions over time.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I still have mine (ANACS VF-20), I believe the #2 coin (cleaned XF) was going to go to market once it made it through grading, and the #3 VG coin found last week the owner was entertaining offers.

So given the 3 known examples, what would you value them at right now?

I had MANY offers when the story broke, some serious trade offers, and using PCGS price guide, hefty numbers. Just no interest to sell it now. I am curious where the rough values land, and what the CPG and Redbook uses for initial value. I was kind of hoping some get run through public auctions so there are records to start a baseline, but nothing yet.

That thread on the 2009 Lincolns where Dentuck asked for values on the DDOs to put in the upcoming book had me thinking where I would place these should he ask. I have a few price theories, but I'd probably be wrong, so will wait till one/some start selling. >>

Knowing the people who do the books as I do, I would be very surprised if either the Redbook or the CPG put a price on the variety in its first insertion.

I will be happy just to get it in the books to see how many more that would flush out.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sean Reynolds >>

I think the problem is-there's not very many hiding anywhere. I think it was noticed during inspection at the Mint and production was stopped, similar as to what happened with the 1916/16 nickel. I'm sure the same thing has happened with other major doubled dies too. >>

This same explanation is offered for every significant doubled die ever found. In reality, there are hundreds of dies and many thousands of coins produced from each die, so it's like finding a needle in a numismatic haystack. After almost 100 years, you've lost a good many example through natural attrition and circulation wear.
    There are most certainly more to be found, though >>

Certainly there's more out there-I just don't think there's very many. Some, I'm sure, have been lost to the silver melts. I'd sure like to see a Mint state coin but I'm not holding my breath. A doubled die this strong should have been found and reported many years ago. I believe the main reason it wasn't is due to it's rarity.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Big congrats ! ! !
    Discovering a new variety is a lot fun . . .

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wonderful thread.

Any more news?
    Frank

BHNC #203

Still just the three known to me. Probably a slow weekend for coin shows, what with Monday being a holiday.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>wonderful thread.

Any more news? >>

Bjorn finding #3 last week is the last news (Few posts above). He sent it to PCGS, should come back sometime in the near future, probably grade VG.

He has stated he intends to sell his, so it will probably be the first of the 3 sold off, so we should at least get an initial pricing reference.

Mine is still safe and sound.

The #2 coin probably XF Details? I'm not sure. I have not heard from John Hodson (Capt - any update?) if his is back from certification, or how that coin made out. I think he had planned on selling his too, but may be waiting for the dust to settle.

Nobody else has reported a find beyond the 3 on the message boards I watch, so still waiting.

Bump to remind people to cherrypick one at a coin show.
  • An update on the VG-8 coin I found, PCGS did grade it, but did not designate the variety. Wants me to jump through hoops to get the variety added. Very frustrating. Felt like it was a court of law and I had to prove the coin eligible. Anyway, coin is off to ANACS for crossover and designation. Will be for sale on ebay when I get it back, hopefully at the end of this week or the beginning of next. In the mean time, I'm going to try and find another one. image

Bjorn
    KearneyCC

<< <i>An update on the VG-8 coin I found, PCGS did grade it, but did not designate the variety. Wants me to jump through hoops to get the variety added. Very frustrating. Felt like it was a court of law and I had to prove the coin eligible. Anyway, coin is off to ANACS for crossover and designation. Will be for sale on ebay when I get it back, hopefully at the end of this week or the beginning of next. In the mean time, I'm going to try and find another one. image

Bjorn
    KearneyCC >>

Hope you do find another one (I'm still hoping to see an MS example in my lifetime).

Just FYI - NGC does designate these as well:
    http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/mercury-dimes/1919-ddo-10c-fs-101-5636/

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭

<< <i>An update on the VG-8 coin I found, PCGS did grade it, but did not designate the variety. Wants me to jump through hoops to get the variety added. Very frustrating. Felt like it was a court of law and I had to prove the coin eligible. Anyway, coin is off to ANACS for crossover and designation. Will be for sale on ebay when I get it back, hopefully at the end of this week or the beginning of next. In the mean time, I'm going to try and find another one. image

Bjorn
    KearneyCC >>

Congrats. Will be interesting to see what it brings. 99¢ No Reserve and let it ride. imageimageimage

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Bjorn
    KearneyCC >>

That's just stupid. It has an FS number from the Cherrypicker's Guide.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>That's just stupid. It has an FS number from the Cherrypicker's Guide.<<<

I don't believe the 1919 DDO is in the CPG. You must be thinking of a different DDO.

<< <i>

Bjorn
    KearneyCC >>

That's just stupid. It has an FS number from the Cherrypicker's Guide. >>

Kind of goes back to what I was saying in that new discovery proof BB Franklin thread. Nobody is really sure (and when they think they are, it seems to change) what the exact procedures is for new discoveries.

According to the PCGS variety page here: http://www.pcgs.com/varietyfaq.html
    Fivaz-Stanton Varieties from the Cherrypickers Guide, Fourth Edition Vol. II and Fifth Edition Vol. I (see list for exclusions)

But as with the new BB - obviously PCGS will slab "New" not in a current issue of the CPG, but as to what documentation is needed is unknown. It seems PCGS WOULD have slabbed the VG-8 1919, but as Bjorn said, "jumping through hoops" - does that mean we need letters from Fivaz, Wiles, maybe Wexler, etc etc, does the coin need to be submitted through them (Similar to the ANACS partnership with most of those folks) - I just don't know for sure.

FYI, two more solid date rolls sold on eBay in the last two weeks for over $100 each, but I was not a player on either after coming up empty on the two rolls I purchased previously. Otherwise I am still watching eBay and still coming up empty.

Sean

<< <i>>>>That's just stupid. It has an FS number from the Cherrypicker's Guide.<<<

I don't believe the 1919 DDO is in the CPG. You must be thinking of a different DDO. >>

It is not in the CPG published before the discovery, but Fivaz and Stanton have issued it an FS number and stated that it will be in the next edition of the CPG that covers dimes.

Bjorn
    KearneyCC >>

I assume that you have spoken with ANACS and they have no problem giving it the DDO designation along with the FS number?

<< <i>

Bjorn
    KearneyCC >>

I assume that you have spoken with ANACS and they have no problem giving it the DDO designation along with the FS number? >>

Tom, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ANACS already certified the discovery coin and noted it as such on their holder as "First Reported".

Sean Reynolds

<< <i>

<< <i>

Bjorn
    KearneyCC >>

I assume that you have spoken with ANACS and they have no problem giving it the DDO designation along with the FS number? >>

Tom, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ANACS already certified the discovery coin and noted it as such on their holder as "First Reported".

Sean Reynolds >>

You are correct, but... my coin was sent directly from John Wexler with paperwork verifying it is what it was. From what I understand, ANACS uses the 3 folks I sent my coin through (Fivaz/Wiles/Wexler), plus probably a few more here and there for verification of the more obscure/new varieties. I am not 100% certain if I had sent it in directly (without paperowrk), that they would have done that.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Bjorn
    KearneyCC >>

Sean Reynolds >>

Yes, you are right. Shouldn't be any problem getting it properly attributed.

Just read on the coin talk forums that #4 has been reported found at a small coin show today. Waiting on pictures, but reported to be an XF example.

Exciting for sure.

Pics posted on next page, but thread is glitching

Click your url and change STARTPAGE=8 to a 9 for example (Just increment it one, it may be different based on forum settings)

<< <i>Just read on the coin talk forums that #4 has been reported found at a small coin show today. Waiting on pictures, but reported to be an XF example.

Exciting for sure. >>

#4 found today in Portland, Oregon. Dealer had it marked XF, I'm thinking high VF. (Edit - not by me, but a member on the CoinTalk forum who has since registered here and has posted down below)

Also, note the obv die crack off the wings, and reverse in the C of America. Other 3 don't show these, so there may have been a good amount produced, and the die not pulled early if the DDO was noticed in production.

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭
    Did you find that one, too, strikeoutxxx?
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
    Great news! Hope a picture is posted.
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone!! I am a new member here. But I replied to StrikeOutXXX's post regarding the 1919 Doubled Die Mercury Dime over on CoinTalk.

I just read through all 20 pages of this thread. I am utterly stunned that I had the incredible luck of finding the 4th example of this elusive creature. I was at a local coin show today and browsed the 30 or so dealer tables for a couple of hours, when I remembered to go check out the Mercury Dimes. So the first dealer I met had only 2 examples. I bought one of them, not because it was a doubled die, but because it had extreme shelf doubling in the date part of Liberty and on Liberty's cap. The second dealer I met with had an open binder of dimes. I opened it up went straight to the early Mercury section. He had 4 examples. The first was labeled G, the second, VG, the third, F and the last one as EF. I examined each one and on the last one, his highest graded one, I looked at it under my loupe and in my head I scream "Oh My God!!" I chatted with the dealer for a little bit and looked at a few other coins I was interested in. But in the end, I was only interested in the one dime. At the time I was not overly excited, as I had only recalled reading the article about keeping a look out for these 1919's. I had assumed that after looking at a total of 6 dimes that maybe this was fairly common. So I handed the dealer the 2x2 it was in and asked him how much he wanted. He gave me a price and I gladly opened my wallet and paid him. It wasn't until I got back home and started digging a little more on this variety that I realized how important this one might be. So I went and posted it on the CoinTalk thread and StrikeOutXXX contacted me via PM. And now here I am showing you my find. They are out there.

• GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Great pick you made!

Congrats on your effort and welcome! image
    Ed
    (drum roll)
    Three more pieces are in the pipeline at a major TPG. Watch the online Pop reports.
    Wow!! So does this bring the total to 7?

• << <i>Three more pieces are in the pipeline at a major TPG. Watch the online Pop reports. >>

By major do you mean PCGS?

<< <i>

<< <i>Three more pieces are in the pipeline at a major TPG. Watch the online Pop reports. >>

By major do you mean PCGS? >>

As reported just recently in this thread, PCGS is not attributing them yet because a PRINTED BOOK does not list them....so I am guessing it would be NGC or ANACS pops that you need to check. ANACS you can check for free but NGC you have to have a paid membership....if I recall correctly.

<< <i>

<< <i>Three more pieces are in the pipeline at a major TPG. Watch the online Pop reports. >>

Did I stutter?

<< <i>

<< <i>

As reported just recently in this thread, PCGS is not attributing them yet because a PRINTED BOOK does not list them....so I am guessing it would be NGC or ANACS pops that you need to check. ANACS you can check for free but NGC you have to have a paid membership....if I recall correctly. >>

FYI - PCGS will attribute these. In an e-mail trail we have going on right now, one of the PCGS Attributers has stated they will, and has reached out to Bjorn on example #3 to correct the situation.

I suggested a post in this thread with the proper procedures to go about getting these done properly might go a long way, as I know there is much confusion out there on the matter.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, that's encouraging. I wonder how long it will take PCGS to add it to the Mercury Dime Complete Variety sets. I wonder why PCGS is the last TPG to the game though, letting ANACS and NGC lead. Relying on PRINTED BOOKS is such a 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th Century practice. In the 21st Century, books are nice but you can't really lead if you rely on books that are published once every several years.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Did I stutter? >>

I'm glad to hear PCGS will attribute these now. They are my preferred Grading Company followed by NGC. ANACS would be fine especially for this piece. I'm in a situation in that I have never sent any coins in to get certified, so I am unfamiliar about the process.
    Were those 3 examples confirmed as the same variety? Or were they sent to get confirmation? I'm just curious.

Thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file