Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked NGC's pop report on the 1919 DDO's. It has been updated and it looks like the 3 examples that were submitted graded as G.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just checked NGC's pop report on the 1919 DDO's. It has been updated and it looks like the 3 examples that were submitted graded as G. >>

I'm happy for whoever discovered those, but if I find out they came from a solid date roll on eBay I may jump out a window. I bought three solid date rolls there and found nothing, and when one more from the same seller came up a fwe weeks ago I decided not to gamble again. If it turns out that roll had three examples in it, I may need to be medicated.

I've been meaning to comment on the sample found with the prominent die crack. First of all this is excellent news for anyone who wishes to own an example, as it means the die was in use for an extended period of time. Even the doubling on IN GOD shows signs of weakening from die fatigue, another great indicator of a long life. The die crack and the strong doubling on the ST of TRUST that remain in the later die states will help eBay cherrypickers like me identify examples even from lousy pictures. I have picked major doubled dies from only seeing die markers like that crack, and that is one you can see an aisle away.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    I too have been scouring eBay. I'm sure that there are several people from all of the various forums who are aware of and interested in this variety who are actively watching eBay. It surely will be a fun hunt.

FYI, the example with the die crack is mine. So far, it remains to be unique among the found examples. I would really love to see photo's of the 3 that went through NGC. It would be nice to amass a collection of images of all known examples as they become available.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just checked NGC's pop report on the 1919 DDO's. It has been updated and it looks like the 3 examples that were submitted graded as G. >>

Not sure if anyone ever goes back and looks at the first post - I put links to the various articles as they came out, and at the bottom had been keeping a census. I'll likely stop once it hits a dozen or so and just rely on pop reports, but that I know of ATM:

1) ANACS VF20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam)
    2) XF Details/Cleaned? - Confirmation piece - Own inventory - John Hodson
    3) PCGS VG-8 then ANACS VG-8, heading back to PCGS for Attribution - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom)
    4) High VF? - Raw small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - jtlee321/Justin
    5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    8) GET TO CHERRYPICKING!!!
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    t2000 ATS just posted that he has TWO of them raw, close to F-12 condition. No photos though.
    This would get the known pops up to 9!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>t2000 ATS just posted that he has TWO of them raw, close to F-12 condition. No photos though.
    This would get the known pops up to 9! >>

Sweet - 1 more and I win a million dollars from a forumite who bet me $1M that 10 of these would never be found hehe.

I originally guessed a dozen after a month I think, has taken a bit longer than I thought, but it is nice to see more of these coming to light.

And... as I've said a dozen times - I REALLY want to see what an MS example looks like - hopefully soon.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think this is going to be a pretty rare variety.
    Wow.. I hope that is good news. What is ATS?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow.. I hope that is good news. What is ATS? >>

"Across The Street," a euphemism for the NGC Forum. Of course, over there THIS is ATS.

I am not positive that the person who claims to have numbers 8 & 9 actually does. He might, but he is relatively new and we have not seen pictures yet.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Ahh gotcha.. Thanks for the information.
  • bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Seanq, I've been meaning to comment on the sample found with the prominent die crack. First of all this is excellent news for anyone who wishes to own an example, as it means the die was in use for an extended period of time. Even the doubling on IN GOD shows signs of weakening from die fatigue, another great indicator of a long life. The die crack and the strong doubling on the ST of TRUST that remain in the later die states will help eBay cherrypickers like me identify examples even from lousy pictures. I have picked major doubled dies from only seeing die markers like that crack, and that is one you can see an aisle away.

I have found 2 Ebay auctions that have what looks like the exact same die crack but no doubling. Looks like the letters on one where GOD is very thick so this could be a very late die state. The auctions have not finished, so until they do, I wont post a link to them just in case someone is trying to cherry pick them.

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
    I had looked through every 1919 dime on eBay the other night and only came across one that had a similar die crack. It was similar but not as pronounced as the one I have. I personally do not believe there are any on eBay right now. I could however be wrong as there were a couple with photos that were just too bad to judge.
    I am going to post the links to these auctions as they are pretty clear that there is not doubling at the ST of trust.

AUCTION 1

AUCTION 2
    I just looked at both of those. The reverses do not include the die cracks through the C either. The auction I PM'd you is the closest one I could find on eBay. Very, very similar to my example. But the die crack on the obverse is slightly off.

<< <i>I am going to post the links to these auctions as they are pretty clear that there is not doubling at the ST of trust.

AUCTION 1

AUCTION 2 >>

Neither of those is the doubled die obverse.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>t2000 ATS just posted that he has TWO of them raw, close to F-12 condition. No photos though.
    This would get the known pops up to 9! >>

Still no word from the owner of the alleged coins. I don't think we should count these in the census.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Neither of those is the doubled die obverse.<<<

I agree.
    I agree as well. He could at least respond to the requests for the photos. Not necessarily to post photo's but at least respond to say when or if he can.
    what is the delay on postings. I am the last post and I have received a few emails for additional posts to this thread but no update.

<< <i>I had looked through every 1919 dime on eBay the other night and only came across one that had a similar die crack. It was similar but not as pronounced as the one I have. I personally do not believe there are any on eBay right now. I could however be wrong as there were a couple with photos that were just too bad to judge. >>

I am watching one auction with an interesting picture, but I have also purchased two or three coins previously with a similar photo and none of them were the variety. This one is likely to close low enough that I can cover it with my eBay bucks, so I will probably take another flier on it. I will post pics once the auction ends.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    Is my post the last one?? I have not seen any other posts since June 24th???? Someone PM me if you do see them after mine.

Thanks

<< <i>Is my post the last one?? I have not seen any other posts since June 24th???? Someone PM me if you do see them after mine.

Thanks >>

Change your forum settings to show 100 posts per page or something like that and you will eliminate most of your issues. There have been other posts since the 24th. Click on "customize" in order to do this.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Nothing new here. Still waiting for mine to make it through ANACS. Also waiting to hear about the VG to get back from PCGS for attribution then off to the auction block.
    I was looking at this auction on ebay!

Could this be a type VI doubling on IGWT? There is machine doubling on the under side of the chin, back of hair and the bottom of the bust.

What do you all think? Am I trying to see too much?

I am not worried about spilling the beans as this auction was relisted at least once.
    I saw that one Tony and dismissed it as not being one of these. I think that might be a cut on the chin, but the bottom of the bust looks doubled
    I've looked at that one a couple of times. The doubling is to the south and west. At least it looks like doubling, more likely MD than true DD. He claims it is a MS example. Not a chance on the images he has posted.

<< <i>I was looking at this auction on ebay!

Could this be a type VI doubling on IGWT? There is machine doubling on the under side of the chin, back of hair and the bottom of the bust.

What do you all think? Am I trying to see too much?

I am not worried about spilling the beans as this auction was relisted at least once. >>

That coin was discussed earlier in the thread as well, it could be Class VI doubling but at the seller's asking price there hasn't been anyone willing to step up and find out for sure.

Sean Reynolds

I just heard back from James Wiles. He has attributed my dime as DDO-001, Stage B, EMDS. He now has it on the way to ANACS for grading and certification.

I assume that the Stage B, EMDS refers only to the obverse die, as the reverse die looks to be very late die state to me. So not sure what this means for possible population of these before the dies may have been replaced.
    I just got this coin from Ebay.

It is a die clash on the obverse. You can see it left of the adams apple and from the nose to the hairline. Nice coin. The reverse looks like it might be a rusted die or something. The coin looks better than VG maybe FINE. I will keep trying again!!!
    I went to a ~125 table show today. I searched about a dozen lower grade examples and two Mint State examples, one of which was slabbed. At one of the last tables on the last aisle of the show, I saw a MS63FB in a 2x2. My thoughts of finding a winning lotto ticket raced through my head as I waited and searched for the missing dealer who had gone to the bathroom. He came back, I asked to see the lovely coin, I looked at it........

And it was not to be. The show was another bust when it came to the 1919 DDO.

I did Cherrypick other Merc Varieties though. None of which are winning lotto tickets however. imageimage
    I had sent my dime off to Dr. James Wiles for examination and photographing for the CONECA files. He then forwarded it on to ANACS for grading and certification with the attribution. I got a call from ANACS today. They have graded it and are shipping it back to me. The final grade came in at EF-40 straight graded. I believe that makes mine the highest grade known as of right now. I'm so happy!!

I will get some photos of it in the holder when it arrives.

<< <i>I had sent my dime off to Dr. James Wiles for examination and photographing for the CONECA files. He then forwarded it on to ANACS for grading and certification with the attribution. I got a call from ANACS today. They have graded it and are shipping it back to me. The final grade came in at EF-40 straight graded. I believe that makes mine the highest grade known as of right now. I'm so happy!!

I will get some photos of it in the holder when it arrives. >>

Big Congrats to You! I will be searching at Summer FUN on Thursday. image

<< <i>I had sent my dime off to Dr. James Wiles for examination and photographing for the CONECA files. He then forwarded it on to ANACS for grading and certification with the attribution. I got a call from ANACS today. They have graded it and are shipping it back to me. The final grade came in at EF-40 straight graded. I believe that makes mine the highest grade known as of right now. I'm so happy!!

I will get some photos of it in the holder when it arrives. >>

Congratulations Justin!

Yours would be the highest known straight-grade at this time.

The #2 piece belonging to John Hodson has high XF, if not low AU details, but has some other issues. I do not think it will straight-grade, but as far as I know it still isn't back from conservation yet, so not sure how that will turn out.

I updated the census with your grade.

Thanks Jeff.

I am still on the hunt for another example, as I am sure lots of others are.
    Still planning to send it back to PCGS? It might not 40 there.
    Congratulations to you on a super cherrypick!

<< <i>Still planning to send it back to PCGS? It might not 40 there. >>

Think you're thinking of Bjorn and the #3 piece, the VG-8 that went PCGS>ANACS>Back to PCGS. It should be getting finished up soon I would think, then he was going to list it for sale (eBay?).

Bjorn - any update on your coin?

I had been thinking about sending it to PCGS. But I'm pretty sure your right, I don't think it would 40 there either. I was very surprised it got a 40 from ANACS. I personally thought it was a 30-35.

<< <i>

<< <i>Still planning to send it back to PCGS? It might not 40 there. >>

Think you're thinking of Bjorn and the #3 piece, the VG-8 that went PCGS>ANACS>Back to PCGS. It should be getting finished up soon I would think, then he was going to list it for sale (eBay?).

Bjorn - any update on your coin? >>

You are right.
    TD
    The Indiana coin (Specimen #2) came back from NCS as AU details, environmental problems, which is what I expected. However, NCS blew the description and omitted any mention of the DDO. Will probably go back for correction.

<< <i>The Indiana coin (Specimen #2) came back from NCS as AU details, environmental problems, which is what I expected. However, NCS blew the description and omitted any mention of the DDO. Will probably go back for correction. >>

I took the two reported but unconfirmed on the NGC forums off the list, so that leave us at:

1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam)
    2) NCS AU Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - Own inventory - John Hodson
    3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom)
    4) ANACS EF-40 small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin)
    5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    8) GET TO CHERRYPICKING!!!

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I had looked through every 1919 dime on eBay the other night and only came across one that had a similar die crack. It was similar but not as pronounced as the one I have. I personally do not believe there are any on eBay right now. I could however be wrong as there were a couple with photos that were just too bad to judge. >>

I am watching one auction with an interesting picture, but I have also purchased two or three coins previously with a similar photo and none of them were the variety. This one is likely to close low enough that I can cover it with my eBay bucks, so I will probably take another flier on it. I will post pics once the auction ends.

Sean Reynolds >>

I just found an AG condition example in a bulk lot of 90% dimes with the same die crack on the obverse. Not the DDO though. image It was good rush for a second though. Oh well.......
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    It's like watching the reels of a slot machine line up. You see a 7 then another 7 and your gut starts to tighten anticipating that 3rd 7 and then the cherry hits. LOL... It's what keeps you at the machine. Or in our case, searching..
    I searched the best I could but I could not find one at Summer FUN with 7 hours of searching today. image

<< <i>The Indiana coin (Specimen #2) came back from NCS as AU details, environmental problems, which is what I expected. However, NCS blew the description and omitted any mention of the DDO. Will probably go back for correction. >>

Update...NCS blew the attribution. Spoke with a friend at NGC and they are going to take care of it at no charge.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had a dollar for every 1919 dime I've looked at since this discovery, I could buy one attributed!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

<< <i>If I had a dollar for every 1919 dime I've looked at since this discovery, I could buy one attributed! >>

Yep-me too.

<< <i>

<< <i>If I had a dollar for every 1919 dime I've looked at since this discovery, I could buy one attributed! >>

Yep-me too. >>

* raises hand * Me three.

I've actually backed off my eBay searching lately as my available time and attention are in short supply. Take this as your signal that any day now a beautiful example will pop up unattributed on eBay with a low Buy It Now.

Sean Reynolds

• Just got the coin back from PC today, will go up on ebay this afternoon image

Bjorn
    KearneyCC
    >>>Just got the coin back from PC today, will go up on ebay this afternoon <<<

I was hoping for a true auction.......image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file