Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay no longer shows when you get an offer? That's stupid.

This information is useless. I don't see why all of the item's activity needs to be relayed here, that is unless you're sharing the amounts offered or have news that the coin has sold. This is my personal opinion.

Maybe just update one post? Since this could potentially be the first sold, I'm interested if it sells or not, and really interested in the final price, but watchers, views, etc can all be found already.

You can see most of this info if you use a 3rd party tool.
    eBay Watchcount

Then paste his auction URL into it (The keyword block) which is:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/231625947123?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You can then see the visits, watchers, and on the right is "Best Offer Enabled" - View History.

How many of you guys are watching these auctions? Just so I can get an idea of how many are from the general population.
    I too am watching both auctions
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am watching both.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I received another offer today. It was higher than the first. I submitted a counter.

Now at:
    19 watchers
    02 offers >>

This information is useless. I don't see why all of the item's activity needs to be relayed here, that is unless you're sharing the amounts offered or have news that the coin has sold. This is my personal opinion. >>

I believe applications for Forum Police are sent to Don Willis. Best of luck! image

Thanks for adding your useless post to the thread. ...so I decided to add mine. Isn't this fun and productive? image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am watching both. >>

I am watching both as well, though frankly I don't expect either to sell. What I do hope is that the high BINs flush another unreported example or two onto eBay, maybe even in a true auction format.

Sean
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I received another offer today. It was higher than the first. I submitted a counter. >>

What would make it useful would be to know the offer amount and the counter amount. Otherwise, it is useless as stated above.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was shown a raw XF for example at the Baltimore show. The owner is a fly-in club member and had it for over 20 years. He never thought too much about it until the news broke about this coin. I advised him to submit it to PCGS after they assign a number to it.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

<< <i>I was shown a raw XF for example at the Baltimore show. The owner is a fly-in club member and had it for over 20 years. He never thought too much about it until the news broke about this coin. I advised him to submit it to PCGS after they assign a number to it. >>

Sweet, that will make #8.

PCGS has a # for it already with a pop of 1 (The VG-8 / #3 coin) that is currently on eBay.

Is the owner a board member? I like to put as much info as I can in the census I have.

PCGS #: 545047
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/545047/

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭
    If I find one that will grade equal to or below the XF example that jtlee321 has I will get it graded at PCGS and run it at one of the major auction houses (HA, GreatCollections, or Ebay) with a $200 start price with No Reserve. Mark me down for it.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

<< <i>I was shown a raw XF for example at the Baltimore show. The owner is a fly-in club member and had it for over 20 years. He never thought too much about it until the news broke about this coin. I advised him to submit it to PCGS after they assign a number to it. >>

Thanks for the report! Why in the world did he never report it???
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    I just bought this at coin dealer in Pantego, TX. I know it is very worn and has damage but it looks promising. What do you all think? How can I enhance the contrast?

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony - nothing there looks doubled to me.
    Does not look like the doubled die to me.
    Doesn't look doubled to me either.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I see what you think you see. But the doubling in the DDO-001 is directly west. I think you see what looks like a fat cross bar on the "T" moving south. I've seen a couple like that on eBay but it looks like just die deterioration to me. Look for a fat vertical bar on the "T" of worn examples.

I am right with Strikeout on this. I would love to see it, or at least get more information about it.

<< <i>

I am right with Strikeout on this. I would love to see it, or at least get more information about it. >>

Agreed, but Rick is a very knowledgeable numismatist and variety man. If he says it is the variety and a raw EF, it is.

<< <i>

<< <i>

I am right with Strikeout on this. I would love to see it, or at least get more information about it. >>

Agreed, but Rick is a very knowledgeable numismatist and variety man. If he says it is the variety and a raw EF, it is. >>

I don't think jtlee321 was questioning Rick's knowledge or abilities. It is just a hot/fun topic of discussion and exciting to hear of another example. Seeing pics would just add to the fun is all.
    Exactly what Keyman64 said. It exciting to hear of a new one.
    I'd never question Rick about verifying a variety or grading a coin. That's on par with questioning whether or not Mickey Mantle could play baseball.
    PCGS DISCOVERY COIN SLAB LABEL THREAD
    Might be of interest to some people in this thread.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked the owner to send it to me. Perhaps in time for the big show in Chicago.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That '70-D 2-O-I/DDO 002 is my discovery coin, found at a show in Jamestown NY in 1998. I sold it thru Heritage at the 2013 FUN show. It remains the best discovery coin I've ever found. There's still only a couple of them known.
    So how were you able to get PCGS to label the coin as "Discovery Coin" Did you use the secret code "up, up, down, down, a, b, a, b"?
    I included the CONECA certificate of discovery/first report of the coin.

<< <i>I included the CONECA certificate of discovery/first report of the coin. >>

As I mentioned in the other thread. I have tried offering PCGS this same scenario and have been denied. At some point they decided not to do this any longer...at least that is my guess.

<< <i>

<< <i>I included the CONECA certificate of discovery/first report of the coin. >>

As I mentioned in the other thread. I have tried offering PCGS this same scenario and have been denied. At some point they decided not to do this any longer...at least that is my guess. >>

That's a shame and it's wrong, too.
    Any new finds?
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭
    Anybody cherried one off ebay yet?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Anybody cherried one off ebay yet?<<<

No, but I look everyday!image
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the coin on eBay is still growing moss at the 10 grand asking price. Has even one sold anywhere yet?
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So how were you able to get PCGS to label the coin as "Discovery Coin" Did you use the secret code "up, up, down, down, a, b, a, b"? >>

a common mistake. as an expert gamer i can assure you the code is as follows and must be entered while inverted:

up, up, down, down, a, b, a, b. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

<< <i>I see the coin on eBay is still growing moss at the 10 grand asking price. Has even one sold anywhere yet? >>

The PCGS VG-8 that Bjorn had listed with a BIN at $7900 was "No longer available" about a week after it was relisted. I sent him a PM to see if it sold, but haven't heard back.

I think that is the closest to a sale so far.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>>Anybody cherried one off ebay yet?<<<

No, but I look everyday!image >>

Between the two of us I doubt that a single unstudied 1919 dime has gone across the block since this discovery was announced. I haven't seen anything even worth taking a flier on in weeks.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    test
    FWIW, the Hodson piece is back from NGC conservation AU-50 details, environmental damage" as before but now with the correct attribution.

<< <i>

<< <i>I see the coin on eBay is still growing moss at the 10 grand asking price. Has even one sold anywhere yet? >>

The PCGS VG-8 that Bjorn had listed with a BIN at $7900 was "No longer available" about a week after it was relisted. I sent him a PM to see if it sold, but haven't heard back.

I think that is the closest to a sale so far. >>

FYI - The #3 coin Bjorn had that was on eBay has passed hands a few times, it's now listed on richuhrichcoins website (Incorrectly annotated as the discovery specimen - EDIT, Rich updated his listing now)

Based on the asking price there, and knowing there was a middle man, my guess is Bjorn sold it about 1/2 what he had it listed at, but still a decent sale I would think.

Pops are still the same at PCGS/NGC so I believe we're still at 8 known:

1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam)
    2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - Own inventory - John Hodson
    3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhrich
    4) ANACS EF-40 small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin)
    5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    8) XF - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15 - No further details yet.
    9) GET TO CHERRYPICKING!!!

Thanks for the update Jeff. I've been searching everywhere and nothing. I really think this variety is rarer than a lot of people think. I know it's not worth 10K but somewhere down in the mid 4 figure price I'd be very happy getting for mine. I just don't want to sell for too low and then kick my self when they finally hit the Cherrypickers' Guide and Redbook and start selling in the mid 4 figures. My gut it telling me that is where this will end up being. I don't think we will end up seeing an MS example anytime soon. I may be wrong, but I may be right as well.
    Ttt
    I hate this little phone
    Ok folks. Jeff and I have been communicating with each other, and I have some information you have been waiting to hear. As you know, I have had an EF-40 example of the 1919 DDO listed on eBay. My listing was set at $9999.00 mostly to get attention for this variety and to not undercut Bjorn's asking price of $7900.00 for his VG-08 example. When my listing expired, I noticed that Bjorn's example had been taken down and listed as no longer available. I relisted my piece with an asking price of $7500.00. I received a few offers, but they were below the price I was comfortable with. About a week after I relisted, I did a Google search and found a blog looking for the newly discovered 1919 DDO. I contacted the person who had the blog which was part of a dealer website. The website is leofresecoins.com. Leo Frese was the VP at Heritage Auctions and is now an independent coin consultant and rare coin dealer. I contacted him and let him know that I had an example I was looking to sell. After I sent him an email I discovered on his site that he had previously bought and then sold the VG-08 example that Bjorn had owned and then was sold to Rich over at Richuhrichcoins.com.

Leo contacted me the next day about my dime. He was very interested in it. After a day or so we reached a price we both agreed upon. I asked him if I could disclose the price we agreed upon and how much he was in turn selling to his client. I explained to him that making the pricing information public would be beneficial to the market, he agreed. I asked him if he could disclose the transaction amounts on the VG-08 example, he told me he would let me know. Today he told me that I could let it be known that he sold the VG-08 example to Rich in the $4000.00 range. He would not give me an exact figure, but at least we have a range he sold it for. My example was purchased from me for $5250.00 and will be sold to his client for $5500.00. My feeling is that the VG-08 traded hands for as much as it did because it was believed to have been the discovery piece by Leo.

So as of now we have two examples that have been sold.

#1 PCGS VG-08 for around $4000
    #2 ANACS EF-40 for $5250 and then $5500

Now get out there and find more!!
    As Arte Johnson used to say: "Verrrrrrry Interesting!"
    Kind of neat the first few are changing hands now. May be another one soon.

While nothing is set in stone, if by chance someone asked me today for rough values (with the expectation they will fluctuate) I think I would tell them:

G = $3,000
    VG = $4,000
    F = $4,500
    VF = $5,000
    XF = $6,000

Still no change in pop reports at PCGS/NGC, and no others reported that I know of.

Nice updates!

Now if I could only find a few of these silly things. image
    Any word on the XF Rick Snow saw in Baltimore?
    600 + the nine hidden messages
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly, changing the order of messages from ascending to descending allows me to see the hidden messages. Strange stuff I say.
    If I could only find a few, I could start making a living selling them!! LOL
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    it looks like strong money for the first examples. As more appear they will most likely go down. I'm thinking 5K would have been a good number for a MS state coin. Time will tell, and I am sure more will be found. There are a couple really tough varieties in the Mercury Dime series, and some have come down quite a bit.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

ttt
  • kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it looks like strong money for the first examples. As more appear they will most likely go down. I'm thinking 5K would have been a good number for a MS state coin. Time will tell, and I am sure more will be found. There are a couple really tough varieties in the Mercury Dime series, and some have come down quite a bit. >>

Sounds about right. Although a full bands example will be quite the monster some day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file