Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any sign of numbers 5, 6 or 7, and especially #8?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Any sign of numbers 5, 6 or 7, and especially #8?

5/6/7 Dave Lange reported when they were on his desk (As 3 different specimens) and are the 3 "Goods" in the NGC Pop reports - I have NOT seen them anywhere in public, but they do exist.

#8 I asked Rick a few times to check with that guy as to its status. I trust Rick if he examined it, it just hasn't been sent in to be graded (At least NGC/PCGS) and I haven't seen it listed anywhere, or displayed in the various forums.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to a very small show today.

Remembered and looked at about 5 circulated 1919 Mercs.

I'm not a variety collector but I did notice the anticipation every time I louped into one.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure who this is but someone has a really nice circulated example up on eBay in a no reserve auction: auction link

It doesn't look like any of the examples in the census on this thread. Does anyone know the back story on this coin? Any guesses on the final hammer?

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting..
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice and wholesome looking dime. I really dig this variety! I don't think the big auction prices will hold, however. As more are found, I see them settling down but still commanding a nice price.
    Just not $9k money.
    My guess for this one $2,500- $3k.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping no one would notice. Sigh.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

Good eyes Sean!

The only raw one reported I haven't seen pictures of is the "XF" Example examined by Rick Snow last year, and this certainly isn't that, I'd peg this VG-10, don't think it quite makes F (But then again, I'm not an expert), so I'm calling this #11 for now.

Currently on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DI...598:g:4KcAAOSwwpdW63Oi

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if all of the ones found so far have the same slight die rotation of the rev?
    Originally posted by: kaz
    Does anyone know if all of the ones found so far have the same slight die rotation of the rev?

I believe they all have this trait, although I haven't seen pics of that raw XF Rick Snow examined.

I think 2 of the 11 display the die cracks on the OBV & REV that CONECA calls Stage B/Middle Die State.

Die Cracks can be see on CONECAs page here: http://varietyvista.com/06%20M...20Dime/1919PDDO001.htm

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Late as usual... I just came across that eBay auction as well.
    Here are my thoughts on the raw eBay example that is currently offered and ending this weekend.

Attempting to grade it is not really necessary. Technically, it is in the VG-8 realm....but

here again, that means little here. PCGS Photograde will likely send most people in that

direction as well, based on memory. Seeing a potentially expensive coin like this raw is a

slight red flag. If you notice, there is a larger photo of the obverse but not the reverse,

although you can mouse over the smaller reverse in-2x2 photo and get the same sized

reverse photo. An ever so slight red flag. Thankfully, there is a return policy from a seller

that seems reputable. Considering this seller deals in sooo many slabbed coins but has this

one raw is not the best of warm feelings. There are a few obverse hits but no show

stoppers for the grade that would cause a genuine grade..or at least I have seen worse

make it into graded holders. The major problem comes when you closely examine the

reverse of the coin in the field, above E Pluribus Unum. Judging from the photos alone,

which we know is not the best of ideas but it is all we have, I think I see a lot of pitting in the

metal. That is environmental damage as far as I can tell. That would cause the coin to go

genuine if it went to PCGS (or other TPG), in my opinion. This might be the real reason

why the coin is raw? There are no notes of a problem provided in the description.

In my opinion, bidding has gone too high for a VG Details example. If a person happens to

be a bidder, they might want to send the seller a direct question, asking if there is pitting

on the coin. It would be interesting if the seller posts the answer on eBay. Or if the coin

sells, it will be interesting if it gets returned or never added to the pops at TPGs.

Hopefully this helps someone. My 10 cents on the matter.

Again, my opinion only. image
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    I have to agree with what Keyman64 just posted. I was interested in this coin for a while, but to me it has gone to high for what it is.
    Originally posted by: Realone
    Think about this, it is the only U.S. coin that he has that isn't in a holder, now that should tell you something. And the few raw stuff he has, and I mean few are raw medals. Even his foreign crap is slabbed.

The seller replied to me, said he is selling it for a friend of his who was going to contact me to give me the discovery story.

I looked at the auction again, think they added pictures to the auction - included was the Coin World article about the Great Collections auction. Not sure if they read this forum, but regarding the story...

The coin auctioned was NOT the 2nd discovered (That was John Hodson's piece currently sitting in an NCS AU-50 Details holder with Environmental Problems). The XF-40 piece sold was the 4th reported.

Also, They had pictures in the article "Courtesy of Great Collections" showing the XF-40 dime auctioned?, but... they used the close-up I sent them of the VF-20 Discovery piece last year 8-)

So, no reply about the pitting problem that I noted above? And some of the auction photos depict another coin?

That's really bad! Stay away from this one would be my advice.
    Originally posted by: keyman64
    So, no reply about the pitting problem that I noted above? And some of the auction photos depict another coin?

Maybe I worded that funny - the Coin World article used my old photo for the story on the sale of the XF-40, the eBay auction just added the photo of the coin world article where I noticed it (Hadn't seen the print edition).

I've seen pictures of all (except the Rick Snow shown XF example) and that is a new one for sure.

I believe StrikeOutXXX's comments about the photos refer to the Coin World article, not the auction. There is a prominent scratch just in front of the bust on the auction coin which is clearly visible in all of the photos, including the two close-ups, which indicates to me that all of the pictures are of the coin for sale.

The area in the upper right quadrant of the reverse looks like toing to me rather than pitting. To me if the area were pitted or the surfaces uneven the area would look dark grey, not dark brown. Dark brown spots to me speak to a very old finger print or other toning which has reached the end of the color cycle.

I understand why many here would prefer to purchase a TPG example but I do not have any issues (nor do I consider it a "red flag") that this coin is being offered raw. As a collector who has sold hundreds of variety coins on eBay, both raw and certified, I doubt there was much for the seller to gain by having the coin graded. The coin plainly "is what it is" and at that grade level there will always be questions about whether it would straight grade at a TPG.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    Originally posted by: seanq

I believe StrikeOutXXX's comments about the photos refer to the Coin World article, not the auction. There is a prominent scratch just in front of the bust on the auction coin which is clearly visible in all of the photos, including the two close-ups, which indicates to me that all of the pictures are of the coin for sale.

The area in the upper right quadrant of the reverse looks like toing to me rather than pitting. To me if the area were pitted or the surfaces uneven the area would look dark grey, not dark brown. Dark brown spots to me speak to a very old finger print or other toning which has reached the end of the color cycle.

I understand why many here would prefer to purchase a TPG example but I do not have any issues (nor do I consider it a "red flag") that this coin is being offered raw. As a collector who has sold hundreds of variety coins on eBay, both raw and certified, I doubt there was much for the seller to gain by having the coin graded. The coin plainly "is what it is" and at that grade level there will always be questions about whether it would straight grade at a TPG.

Sean Reynolds

So, if you were about to spend a couple grand on a raw coin, you would not ask ahead

of time, just to be sure? It is not just "is what it is", even at this grade level. It is either a

details coin or it isn't. For me, a details coin like this might top out at a couple hundred

bucks. This is now over $2K! It looks to me like there is a TON for the seller to gain by

keeping it raw. You do not see this? I'm just saying...if anyone here happens to be

bidding, they should ask the question. Some of those spots do look like toning like you say

but some of them look like they could be pitting. Solely judging the coin by the photos, one

way or the other, would be ignorant. You have to ask the question.

Originally posted by: StrikeOutXXX
    Originally posted by: Realone
    Think about this, it is the only U.S. coin that he has that isn't in a holder, now that should tell you something. And the few raw stuff he has, and I mean few are raw medals. Even his foreign crap is slabbed.

The seller replied to me, said he is selling it for a friend of his who was going to contact me to give me the discovery story.

I looked at the auction again, think they added pictures to the auction - included was the Coin World article about the Great Collections auction. Not sure if they read this forum, but regarding the story...

The coin auctioned was NOT the 2nd discovered (That was John Hodson's piece currently sitting in an NCS AU-50 Details holder with Environmental Problems). The XF-40 piece sold was the 4th reported.

Also, They had pictures in the article "Courtesy of Great Collections" showing the XF-40 dime auctioned?, but... they used the close-up I sent them of the VF-20 Discovery piece last year 8-)

CoinWorld contacted me through eBay regarding the XF40 after it sold on GC. They asked if it had been the 2nd coin and I told them no, that is was the 4th, but at the time was the finest known straight graded. So not sure why they still claimed it to be the 2nd example.

Here is what they sent me followed by me reply, I even gave them the link to this thread so they can get all the correct information.

1919 DDO dime
    The ANACS EF-40 dime that sold for $9,999 in August.

Was that the second example verified by experts or another coin? I'm writing an article for Coin World. An ANACS EF-40 coins, crossed into a PCGS EF-40 holder, sold Feb. 14 by Great Collections for $9,075. Ebay currently has a posting for the ANACS VF-20 discovery piece for $11,550.

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. The ANACS EF-40 was the 4th coin discovered. As of now it is the highest straight graded example known. The $9,999 asking price on eBay was mostly for publicity. I sold the coin to Leo Frese in September for $5,250.00 in a private transaction. The discovery piece is as you stated the one that is currently listed on eBay. A very good bit of information on this variety can be found here https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=26&threadid=937347&highlight_key=y&keyword1=1919+mercury+dime

If you have any other questions, please feel free to call or email me.

So, if you were about to spend a couple grand on a raw coin, you would not ask ahead

of time, just to be sure? It is not just "is what it is", even at this grade level. It is either a

details coin or it isn't. For me, a details coin like this might top out at a couple hundred

bucks. This is now over $2K! It looks to me like there is a TON for the seller to gain by

keeping it raw. You do not see this? I'm just saying...if anyone here happens to be

bidding, they should ask the question. Some of those spots do look like toning like you say

but some of them look like they could be pitting. Solely judging the coin by the photos, one

I understand and respect your point, but you and others on the thread are looking at this auction through the prism of a registry set collector. If you absolutely have to have one in a straight graded TPG holder then yes, before bidding on a raw coin, by all means ask for better pictures and study the surfaces carefully.

However, there are many variety collectors (like error collectors and EAC members) for whom the condition of the coin is a secondary concern versus correct attribution and overall rarity. I have paid multiples above any price guide you can cite for clipped coins for my sets which were corroded, damaged, or harshly cleaned... but they were genuine, coreectly attributed, and legitimately rare, and to me that made them worth every penny.

I believe it is that second kind of collector at which this auction is squarely aimed, and judging from the bids I think they are responding. That is also what I meant when I said the coin "is what it is", to a non-registry collector that coin still pushes all the right buttons.

Sean Reynolds

Sean Reynolds

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Sean Reynolds

I bid a lot more than a couple hundred bucks for this piece. Got any you want to sell at that level?

TD

As a former Merc Complete Variety Reg Set builder that had half the varieties in Top Pop and the remaining examples close, I would consider a details example to be complete junk. I'd like to also think that I understand the market better than most considering I also auctioned off all of my coins, including the top pops that generally went for moon money. If a person is not interested in protecting themselves from details graded material, to each their own I guess.

And yes, I have sold many Merc Variety spares of mine that I have Cherrypicked for very cheap to friends in the past. Some were even tied top pops but most were not. Had this coin been mine, I would have put it in plastic first so that I could not only protect myself as a seller but to also protect the buyer, generating a truly fair result.

No, I do not currently have an example of this variety. Will I ever? Time will tell. I can say that I have searched for a specific Merc variety for 5 years prior to locating the stand alone top pop and only known mint state example.

As a former Merc Complete Variety Reg Set builder that had half the varieties in Top Pop and the remaining examples close, I would consider a details example to be complete junk. I'd like to also think that I understand the market better than most considering I also auctioned off all of my coins, including the top pops that generally went for moon money. If a person is not interested in protecting themselves from details graded material, to each their own I guess.

This basically confirms what I said in my last post, that you are looking at this auction through the eyes of a top registry set builder. This seller - and his bidders - do not play in the same sandbox as you.

I withdraw my offense at the laughing avatar, now that I know the spirit in which it was posted. image.

Sean Reynolds

I am not really laughing at anyone, nor am I trying to insult anyone. The idea of buying a coin,

without the concern of it being damaged is just completely foreign to me. I do not understand it. Many people

will laugh when they do not understand something. It is not an uncommon practice. I do not claim to know

everything. I have heard of many collectors of ancients, tokens, very rare items etc...buying an example of

whatever they seek, even paying high prices to get ANY example they can....but never a Mercury Dime! This idea

is just very foreign to me. I truly believe that other examples will be found. DIMEMAN is a registry set builder

and is one of the BIGGEST DIME VARIETY COLLECTORS in existence. He even considered bidding on this coin. He

does have some genuine/details dime varieties in his set but most of those he found raw or cherrypicked etc. His goals

are to have an example of every dime and he will go with a genuine/details example when necessary but he has

even considered the price of this coin to be much too high with the looming possibility of it not making it into a

proper PCGS holder. If it could grade cleanly at VG, the price is not far off give or take. I guess I am a little more

risk adverse than some because I see the value of a details example in the hundreds realm, not thousands. I have

never had the disposable income to just toss around on genuine coins I guess. This does show that there are

different types of variety collectors within the registry. I went for top pops. Others go for completeness as the primary

goal...but even they have their limitations when it comes to the risk of genuine examples. As for myself, coming from the

top pop background, I would be thrilled to have an example in the VG range and not care about top pop...but

genuine stuff has never been for me.

Maybe I am wrong? I do not discount that possibility! People can feel free to laugh at me if they like, if not this situation.

It takes a lot for me to become offended. Some people are just sensitive and that's okay. Maybe this will be the last

example ever found and maybe it will be worth $20K+ in time....but based on my experience, I doubt it.

Again, I have zero intent on offending anyone. There is a lot of experience in this thread. Maybe it is my lack of understanding

and goal of providing a bit of lighthearted levity to the discussion. Clearly, that did not go over well. Nothing I can

really do about that but hopefully explain my intent.
    I can see both Sean and Greg's side of this discussion. Being a complete variety collector I kind of fall into Sean's example of a collector.
    Like Greg mentioned I do have several Geniune dimes in my set. BUT....most if not all are the only one's known and I picked them for
    very little money and I always continue looking for better examples and I don't think any are Mercs. Most are Seated or Barber.
    I have hundreds of varieties that are not even in the PCGS sets. I am currently
    actively buy dime varieties with the hope that when the new CPG comes out I will have most if not all of the new varieties. Even if they don't make the CPG
    and go into the PCGS sets I continue to collect them and put them into my Showcase of varieties not in PCGS set yet set.

In the case of this 1919 DDO it is past what I think it is worth.....at least to me. I may or may not pick one in the future.....who knows.

I do think more will be found and the prices will come down on this variety.......but again who knows.

It's all for fun and the thrill of the hunt. I look at probably 2,000 coins a day on ebay and other sites......so I am always having fun.
    Perfection is greatly overrated. My first wife had diabetes and epilepsy when I met her, and I knew that the chances of a long marriage were slim, but I loved her and took her as she was.

This is merely a coin. Try to keep some perspective here.

TD
    The eBay auction closes this evening and I noticed this morning that the high bidder all week must have withdrawn his bid. The auction was up to $2200 late this week but this morning it was back down to $2025. Any predictions for the final hammer? Not the best plan to end the auction on Easter but with the prevalence of sniping services I don't think that will hold down the price at all.

Sean Reynolds

I noticed that as well.

I wonder if the high bidder got a message back about pitting after reading this thread?

It is interesting to see the bids go DOWN on the last day of a popular auction. Lol
    I went ahead and asked the seller THE QUESTION that concerned me about the item. Here is his response,

even though he did not post it. I was not really asking about the lighter brown spots, I know that is toning

but was concerned with what seems to be some darker spots. Whatever, I asked about pitting on the coin,

particularly on the reverse above EPU and this is the response.

Hello - Thanks for your interest and question regarding this item...

I can assure you the coin is NOT pitted on the reverse as you suspect...

the brown spots you see is a mottled toning,,,tiny toning dots...the surface

of the coin on the reverse is completely ok with typical marks for a VG+ coin...

In my opinion... the only thing that might keep it from being graded by PCGS

is a small scrape under the word TRUST - it is clearly visable in the close up photos...

hope this helps
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Bid retraction and cancellation history

Bidder Action Date of Bid and Retraction
    Member Id: n***i( 494Feedback score is 100 to 499) Retracted: US $3,000.00
    Bid: Mar-22-16 14:45:28 PDT
    Retracted: Mar-26-16 22:52:57 PDT
    The raw ~VG coin (CENSUS #11) ended at $2,250 on eBay yesterday.

That's quite a bit cheaper than the PCGS VG-8 example (CENSUS #3) has traded hands for in the past.

I think that's a combination of several things.

1) Raw (with some chatter of possible issues here on the boards of pitting) versus graded
    2) The XF-40 example just closed a month ago, taking at least 1 big bidder out of the mix
    3) The PCGS VG-8 example was somehow believed to be the Discovery Coin (While certainly not a 2x multiplier in value, perhaps a little bump for coolness factor, albeit incorrect)
    4) The PCGS VG-8 was the FIRST to hit the market for sale quite awhile ago

I don't know if $2250 will be a steal for a VG example in the future or not. I suspect if that had been consigned to Great Collections, which got it graded, it might have done bettter, but who knows.

The raw ~VG coin (CENSUS #11) ended at $2,250 on eBay yesterday.

That's quite a bit cheaper than the PCGS VG-8 example (CENSUS #3) has traded hands for in the past.

I think that's a combination of several things.

1) Raw (with some chatter of possible issues here on the boards of pitting) versus graded

2) The XF-40 example just closed a month ago, taking at least 1 big bidder out of the mix

3) The PCGS VG-8 example was somehow believed to be the Discovery Coin (While certainly not a 2x multiplier in value, perhaps a little bump for coolness factor, albeit incorrect)

4) The PCGS VG-8 was the FIRST to hit the market for sale quite awhile ago

I don't know if $2250 will be a steal for a VG example in the future or not. I suspect if that had been consigned to Great Collections, which got it graded, it might have done bettter, but who knows.

Agree. A poorly handled sale.
    Had it been mine (and for sale), I would have sent it to Great Collections for them to get graded/attributed and let them auction it

knowing full well it would have cost me less than $50 to sell it, including the PCGS fees. There are more examples to be found!

Granted, the demand will also likely increase if/when this makes it into the Red Book/CPG/Registry Sets...but what will increase

faster, the demand or the supply? image It sure is fun to watch. I think the prices will come down a bit in time, except for the Top Pops.
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have been a player, but the scratch on that coin was in the precisely wrong spot. I did not want to be seeing it every time I admired the double die.
    I got my 2017 Redbook today - no mention of the DDO. I didn't get this year's Mega Red yet - anybody know if it made it into that version?

I got my 2017 Redbook today - no mention of the DDO. I didn't get this year's Mega Red yet - anybody know if it made it into that version?

Bummer.
    Wow, that's disappointing. If it never makes it into the regular Red Book then fewer will be found, demand will tank, prices will fall and it will just be relegated to the CPG and complete variety registry sets. Making it into Mega Red means nothing and will do nothing for the demand.
    Wow, that's disappointing. If it never makes it into the regular Red Book then fewer will be found, demand will tank, prices will fall and it will just be relegated to the CPG and complete variety registry sets. Making it into Mega Red means nothing and will do nothing for the demand.

I like the prices falling part.image

Of course I'm a buyer and not a seller.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is my 10c. Value is what people are willing to pay. At this point people are willing to pay a lot, and only time will tell if the prices stay that way. I have seen a number of varieties have decreases in what people are willing to pay. This one will probably go down over time. We just won't know how much less until more and more are found, and the population goes up.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice variety but is it really Redbook worthy? Just askin........ There are a lot of bold Doubled Die coins that have been known for years that are not in the Redbook.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Manorcourtman

It's a nice variety but is it really Redbook worthy? Just askin........ There are a lot of bold Doubled Die coins that have been known for years that are not in the Redbook.

I think it is worthy. And those others you speak of should be added, too. I'm not saying it should become a variety reference nor do I know what the minimum criteria should be but some attempt should be made on both counts. There's a number of great doubled dies that should be there and that are not.

Was having dinner with some numismatic friends tonight and the 1919 DDO dime came up, and one said that he knew a dealer that just cherrypicked another one out of a collection he had bought a while back and was just breaking down. He saw the coin before it went off to PCGS; grade reportedly Good or so.

TD
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can take years for inclusion into the famous Red Book. I wouldnt be so disheartened. Afterall, it took nearly a century for this variety to be "discovered."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Was having dinner with some numismatic friends tonight and the 1919 DDO dime came up, and one said that he knew a dealer that just cherrypicked another one out of a collection he had bought a while back and was just breaking down. He saw the coin before it went off to PCGS; grade reportedly Good or so.

TD

An AG-3 just popped up in the PCGS Pop Reports, can you ask your friend to see if that is the one you mentioned?

Also - how does PCGS update the coinfacts part at the bottom with auction history? Only one graded I know that sold is the #4 Coin at Great Collections ($8,250 + $825 = $9,075)

Census now stands at 12

1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam) > Leo Frese
    2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - Own inventory - John Hodson
    3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhric
    4) ANACS EF-40 > PCGS XF-40 - small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin) > Leo Frese > ? > Great Collections ($9,075)
    5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    8) XF - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15
    9) AG Details - Damaged - Roll searching, Alan Davis -Cointalk forums
    10) Good - 90% merc bag find - Natchez14 - (NGC Message Boards)
    11) VG - 3/18/16 auction listed on eBay raw - owner unknown (seller: flcoins - $2,250)
    12) PCGS - AG3 - Owner Unknown
    13) GET TO CHERRYPICKING

Won't see him for a couple of months. Having a knee replaced and will be laid up for a while.
    I get excited every time I see this thread get kicked to the top of the first page.. I'm glad it's not dying. Now if we can just find an MS example!!!!!!
    3 of these are on eBay right now - and a few more added to the census - going to get hard to keep this up to date as they start coming out of the woodwork, but I had pictures of them all up to now except that Rick Snow example, so pretty sure we don't have any duplicates yet.

The NGC AG-3 went reserve not met at $1475, looks like they are trying to make the market for AG's around 2k, see how that hold up.

I noticed the #14 PCGS Genuine coin doesn't show in pop reports, anyone know if GENUINEs have their own report, or any way to search for those?

1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam) > Leo Frese
    2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - Own inventory - John Hodson
    3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhric
    4) ANACS EF-40 > PCGS XF-40 - small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin) > Leo Frese > ? > Great Collections ($9,075)
    5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown
    8) XF - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15
    9) AG Details - Damaged - Roll searching, Alan Davis -Cointalk forums
    10) Good - 90% merc bag find - Natchez14 - (NGC Message Boards)
    11) VG - 3/18/16 auction listed on eBay raw - owner unknown (seller: flcoins - $2,250)
    12) PCGS - AG-3 - Owner Unknown > (eBay seller: cbcoins03)
    13) NGC - AG-3 - Owner Unknown > (eBay seller: boyernumismatics)
    14) PCGS - GENUINE EdgeDmg - F Details > (eBay seller: fresebrothers)
    15) GET TO CHERRYPICKING

These things sure are tough in decent condition!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file