Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has the die rotation on this variety been noted before?
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: EagleEye
    Has the die rotation on this variety been noted before?

Yes, so far they all have it. There is also a middle die state with various die cracks.

One of the MDS coins flowed through CONECA for examination and has some pics here:

http://varietyvista.com/06%20M...20Dime/1919PDDO001.htm
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Not sure about that "WE." Wrong direction and wrong amount of doubling. Might be our old nemesis machine doubling, which can occur on a coin struck from a doubled die.

There is also a small amount of "machine doubling" on the front (left) edge of the neck near the rim.

Looks like it is getting some action.

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!! This will be an interesting watch.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could find one of these in the wild!
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I understand crossing it at the same grade and also losing the discovery designation in the process.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Originally posted by: sparky64
    Not sure I understand crossing it at the same grade and also losing the discovery designation in the process.

I would want it in a PCGS holder and couldn't care less about the discovery label.

Originally posted by: BustHalfBrian
    This example was discovered yesterday by Dennis Tarrant (forum member Numisma) and Victor Romero, and photographed by yours truly. It appears to be no better than FR02, however it is remarkably problem-free.

Does anyone know if this coin was submitted to PCGS? An FR-2 appeared in the Pop Report today, just curious if it's this one or a new one???

EDIT: I heard back from Dennis - this is coin #17 in the pop report. Should be on Great Collections soon.

• MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I bought this today under very poor lighting. Sorry for the awful pics. I see a line to the right of the "T" that is more evident in hand. Anything?

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
    Sorry, no. The OD of GOD and RUST of TRUST show dramatic doubling as well, which I don't see in your images. Keep looking though!! There are more out there to be found.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64

It was shipped yesterday. No TureView although I paid for the service. Does that happen often?

Your cert lookup has that picture now. Have you checked your account for the Tru Views?

Only other update I have for this thread is coin #17 was indeed the FR-2 in the PCGS pop reports. Dennis said it was consigned to GreatCollections, and should be coming up to auction shortly with no reserve.

Originally posted by: StrikeOutXXX

It was shipped yesterday. No TureView although I paid for the service. Does that happen often?

Your cert lookup has that picture now. Have you checked your account for the Tru Views?

Only other update I have for this thread is coin #17 was indeed the FR-2 in the PCGS pop reports. Dennis said it was consigned to GreatCollections, and should be coming up to auction shortly with no reserve.

Thanks for posting it.

Looks like it is getting some action.

Re: Discovery coin at great collections

Didn't get as much as I thought. Figured there would be a little more at the end. Went for $3600 + $360 buyers premium = $3,960

The purchaser should do well with it.
    Nothing new in the pop reports or forums I watch. If anyone knows of any updates to the census, please let me know.

In the meantime, only 3 days left to bid on coin #17 (PCGS FR-2 CAC) on Great Collections. FYI not mine, just know a lot of folks may be interested in an affordable example. GC don't seem to like to take close-ups, which on varieties don't make sense, but the are nice pics a few posts above this one of it that busthalfbrian took of it.

http://www.greatcollections.co...-FS-101-PCGS-FR-02-CAC

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closeups are critical for varieties and useful for most other coins. Is there any reason why they don't do closeups?
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could have been due to summer downtime maybe? I find July/August to be the worst sales months especially through auctions, even for better material. Good for buying though. And even though its not monetary, you being the discoverer of such a momentous piece after 100yrs unnoticed is priceless image
    The more you VAM..
    Originally posted by: CascadeChris

Could have been due to summer downtime maybe? I find July/August to be the worst sales months especially through auctions, even for better material. Good for buying though. And even though its not monetary, you being the discoverer of such a momentous piece after 100yrs unnoticed is priceless image

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just found this thread, hadn't heard of this variety before, looked thru some of my stuff and BAM, got one! Found it in a set I bought on ebay. Freebie Bonus! I'm sending in tomorrow, will post results, hope the scratch doesn't put in a details slab.

[URL=http://s944.photobucket.com/us...7_zps6ffkaru5.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s944.photobucket.com/user/psanders70gt/media/20160906_174050_zpsc7v2a16i.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Sandman!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

ARGH! People just keep finding them like there is nothing to it!
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scratch or not I'd say you did quite well on this one. Congrats!!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good find!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Nice find!! Add another one to the tally...
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman70gt,
    Nice photos - thanks for sharing.
    The die crack left of the T in LIBERTY identifies your specimen as Die Stage B.
    Do you have a reverse photo? There might be a die crack at C in AMERICA.
    http://varietyvista.com/06%20M...20Dime/1919PDDO001.htm
    It does have a small die crack, left of 'c' @ 8 o'clock, hard to see in the picture. Still cant believe I had one of these in a "spares" book.

Sorry to you all for looking so hard, 50% of the 1919's I checked were ddo

[URL=http://s944.photobucket.com/us...5_zpsxf9mtt4y.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the reverse photo.
    Indeed, the crack matches the photo for Die State B on varietyvista.
    Earlier in this thread, it was noted that 2 of the first 11 specimens were Die State B,
    so it's the scarcer die state.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply amazing...the thousands that have been searched, and he finds one right away. The photo of the reverse makes me think it may end up in a genuine holder, it looks like it may have been cleaned in it's past. That being said it's still a very nice find!
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you recall when you purchased this particular set off eBay? I ask because there are a few of us who have looked at a lot of auctions for 1919 dimes there and to my knowledge, yours is the first one confirmed as purchased off eBay.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    The set was purchased over a year ago. You could never have seen the 1919 in the pictures. The set had a 1916 d pcgs g6, and a 1942/1 raw in a library of coins album. The album was in great shape, the only reason I kept it. To make this find even better the 16d regraded to vg8, which got me back my original investment. The 42/1 came back vf25 and then the 1919 ddo ! I guess I used up my once in a lifetime find.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Big Congratulations on the find! I'll add it to the census as coin #18.

When I first looked at the pics, I was feeling VG10ish on the obv, but reverse caught me as F12. Not sure if it will straight grade, but I'll list it as VG/F Details? Until you get the results back, please update us when you get the results.

• 2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    nice coin. what a neat discovery.
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Congratulations on the find! I'll add it to the census as coin #18.

When I first looked at the pics, I was feeling VG10ish on the obv, but reverse caught me as F12. Not sure if it will straight grade, but I'll list it as VG/F Details? Until you get the results back, please update us when you get the results.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to all of you, especially you strikeout for the original find and all the research and this post, I would have never found it without you. Man I really do love and appreciate all the info I have learned on this board from all of you.

Shipped mine out overnight and paid for walkthru. Couldn't stand fo wait for weeks. So should see results quick.Expecting vg10, hoping for a f12, but rev rim looks weak for a 12, just really dont want it to go genuine.

Cool find, thanks for sharing.

It won't be long before a MS example turns up.

They GOTTA be out there.

Don't know how many times I checked on mine...seemed like a million..."in process"

And finally the results are in: straight graded vg10 hurraaa!!

Will post trueview when available

Trueview is here:

VG10

Die stage b.

Obv die crack at t in liberty

Rev die crack at c in america

Only 3 better

[URL=http://s944.photobucket.com/us...x_zpsiaq0brmq.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Walk thru time 4 days

Nice job!! It was nice to run into you at the show over the weekend. I'm glad to see it straight graded. Are you keeping it or selling it?
    Thanks, it was good to meet you. Pretty crazy the rarity of these and to have two of these coins get found in Portland and then bump into a guy that found one.

As far as keeping or selling, haven't decided. Have to see how good it looks next to my 16d and my 42/41's. Also have to think about where the value may go.

edited October 26, 2016 7:57AM

Number 19 found in junk silver at a b&m. I won this one on an ebay auction.

Kinda embarrassed as to what I paid for it. He had it slabbed and then didn't even mention the ddo or fs101 in the listing or description. Guess that's why its called cherrypicking!

Surprised the seller didn't "Properly" list the coin:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-MERCURY-DIME-PCGS-FREE-SHIPPING-/122180816157?hash=item1c728b4d1d:g:XK4AAOSwYIxX~9ZN

I know it's cleaned/details, but the last 2 "Lower" end ones to sell at auction were: FR-2 at at $606.83 and AG-3 at $817.65. Pretty sure he left a little $ on the table the way it was listed.

Census has been updated, 19 so far - who will find #20?

@Sandman70gt said:
    Number 19 found in junk silver at a b&m. I won this one on an ebay auction.

Kinda embarrassed as to what I paid for it. He had it slabbed and then didn't even mention the ddo or fs101 in the listing or description. Guess that's why its called cherrypicking!

Nice find!! That's your second example you own now right?

Well, thank you.
    And yes own 2 now. The vg10. And ag details/cleaned.
    I'll be selling or trading the latter.
    Havent received it yet, later this week

• boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    ========================= *** Current Census *** ==============================
    Please let me know if you know of any changes or additional pieces

1) PCGS VF-20 (From ANACS VF-20) Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam) > Leo Frese > Great Collections (8/16 - $3,960 (3600 + 360))
    PCGS Cert: 545047.20/81388342 - ANACS Cert was: 4815681

2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - John Hodson
    Cert: Unknown

3) PCGS VG-8 (From ANACS VG-8) - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhrich
    Cert: 545047.08/32476123

4) PCGS XF-40 (From ANACS EF-40)- small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin) > Leo Frese > ? > 2/14/16 - Great Collections ($9,075 ($8,250 + $825))
    Cert: 545047.40/29996937

5) NGC - G6 - Owner Unknown
    Cert: 3837672-003

6) NGC - G6 - Owner Unknown
    Cert: 3837672-004

7) NGC - G4 - Owner Unknown
    Cert: 3837672-005

8) PCGS XF-45 - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15 - Rick acquired 7/16 & submitted.
    Cert: 545047.45/81423166

9) AG Details - Damaged - Roll searching, Alan Davis -Cointalk forums
    RAW

10) Good - 90% merc bag find - Natchez14 - (NGC Message Boards)
    RAW

11) VG - 3/18/16 auction listed on eBay raw - owner unknown (seller: flcoins - $2,250)
    RAW

12) PCGS - AG-3 - Owner Unknown > (eBay seller: cbcoins03)
    Cert: 545047.03/80661866

13) NGC - AG-3 - Owner Unknown > (eBay seller: boyernumismatics)
    Cert: 2687209-003

14) PCGS - GENUINE EdgeDmg - F Details > (eBay seller: fresebrothers)
    Cert: 545047.98/80510296

15) PCGS - Good (Pop reports, owner unknown)
    Cert: Unknown

16) NGC - AG-3 - (eBay seller: dwp23/Forum Member CLC2010) - Local Show Junk Bin (7/7/16 - eBay $816.66 + .99 Ship)
    Cert: 4231740-003

17) PCGS - FR-2 - Dennis Tarrant (Numisma) & Victor Romero - Bag Searching > GreatCollections (9/4/16 - GC $606.83 ($551.66 + $55.17))
    Cert: 545047.02/81692204

18) PCGS VG-10 Sandman70gt - older unnoticed eBay set purchase
    Cert: 545047.10/81866568

19) PCGS - GENUINE - Cleaning - AG Details (Junk silver find - eBay 10/23/16 sold without DDO in auction for $203.53)
    Cert: 545047.92/81862971

20) GET TO CHERRYPICKING

=========================================================

Links to navigate easier:
    3/16/15 - Numismatic News Front Page: (PDF File)http://media2.fwpublications.com.s3.amazonaws.com/NMN/NNExpress/NN_Express20150317.pdf

3/9/15 - Coin World Monday Morning Brief - How does a die variety become mainstream video: http://www.coinworld.com/videos/2015/march/monday-morning-brief-mar-9-2015.htmlor on youtube:

2/27/15 - Coin World Featured Article:http://www.coinworld.com/insights/1919-winged-liberty-head-dime-has-doubled-die-obverse.html#

2/24/15 - Coin World Teaser Article:http://www.coinworld.com/news/new-doubled-die-obverse-found-on-1919-dime.html

CONECA/Variety Vista 1919-DDO Page:http://varietyvista.com/06 Mercury Dime/1919PDDO001.htm

Wexler's Die Variety Listing:http://doubleddie.com/1448740.html

NGC 1919 DDO Variety Page:http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/mercury-dimes/1919-ddo-10c-fs-101-5636/

PCGS 1919 DDO Coinfacts Page (PCGS Coin #545047)http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/545047/8
    ======== 3/2015 - ANACS pictures

2/12/15 - UPDATE:

Folks - check your 1919-P Mercs, just got official word - After hiding in plain sight for 96 years...

Confirmed 1919-P DDO

Still waiting on official FS/CONECA numbering, but will likely be in the next CPG among other places.

I'm sure there will be official photos (especially when the XF/AU specimen is photographed) and announcements in the coming weeks (My coin will be off for a Coin World glamor shot soon).

Talk about an exciting few days, thanks for sharing the ride with me.

Jeff

============================
    2/20/15 - Update
    The 2nd specimen finally found its way to Bill, allowing proper verification of the discovery coin, which has now been assigned FS-101. Press releases have been sent by Tom DeLorey to the various news outlets, so look for that shortly. Can't wait for someone to find the first uncirculated example! Happy Hunting

Bill Fivaz gave permission to use his picture of the motto of the 2nd Specimen found (XF)

============================

Per request - this was pulled out of the "Box of Oddities" thread found here: Oddities Thread I also posted it ATS here: NGC Boards Thread

I do not know the full story on this coin. The individual I got it from has had it in his box of oddities for 15-20 years at least. He is a small town "Buyer" of old-time collections, he thinks it would have come in in some collection years ago, but he didn't remember it even being in there specifically. Anything that he saw odd, or came in a 2x2 marked as odd, he put in the boxes he was selling me. Beyond that, he doesn't remember any details.

I've weighed it on a .01 digital scale 10 times, recalibrating between each, and it comes back:
    2.40 g every time
    1.54 dwt every time
    37.0 or 37.1 gn (5 of each)
    Seems about right weight-wise for a ~Fine Merc

These are all the pics I have online right now, but can add more tonight - bigger, specific areas, whatever anyone thinks will help. I'm not Phil here - I use a point and click, and close-ups through a loupe, so bare with me.

Only other info I can add is a question on hub varieties came up,
    There were hub changes in 1916/1917/1918, but don't see anything for 1919 specifically.
    http://blog.davidlawrence.com/index.php/mercury-dimes-ch-2-design-modifications/
    I would really need a merc specialist to look at what's left of the 1919's details to see if they can determine which hub type it is.

And the only other thing

Wow! #13 would be me. If anyone is interested in purchasing it, please PM me here and I will get in contact with you.

What a weird coincidence to see my name and eBay here, haha!

edited October 27, 2016 7:45AM

@StrikeOutXXX said:

I know it's cleaned/details, but the last 2 "Lower" end ones to sell at auction were: FR-2 at at $606.83 and AG-3 at $817.65. Pretty sure he left a little $ on the table the way it was listed.

ARGH!! I would have been all over that!!!

edited March 18, 2017 9:45PM

Deleted

edited October 27, 2016 5:49AM

@boyernumismatics said:

Wow! #13 would be me. If anyone is interested in purchasing it, please PM me here and I will get in contact with you.

What a weird coincidence to see my name and eBay here, haha!

Yea, saw it on eBay awhile back while trying to keep the census as updated as I can. I do weekly checks of the Pop Reports, eBay, google, etc to try to keep it as updated as I can. Didn't realize you were a forum member.

Do you mind sharing the story of the coin. How was it found, did you get it certified, etc.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-MERCURY-DIME-PCGS-FREE-SHIPPING-/122180816157?hash=item1c728b4d1d:g:XK4AAOSwYIxX~9ZN

ARGH!! I would have been all over that!!!

Have you stopped trying to cherrypick one on eBay? After more than a year of fruitless searches, I now only look through eBay auctions when the mood strikes, but if you were still being diligent about monitoring the site, that one should have popped up on your radar.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file