Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone ever confirm/see 5,6,7? I wonder if those are true.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the #14 PCGS Genuine coin doesn't show in pop reports, anyone know if GENUINEs have their own report, or any way to search for those?

no, genuine coins do not show up in the pop report anywhere. i have tried to get this changed with no success.

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keyman64

The were reported/confirmed by David Lange over at NGC in an e-mail trail we had going at one time while they were on his desk. They are 3 different and confirmed examples.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: StrikeOutXXX

Originally posted by: keyman64

The were reported/confirmed by David Lange over at NGC in an e-mail trail we had going at one time while they were on his desk. They are 3 different and confirmed examples.

Cool, thanks. I do seem to recall a member ATS saying he had 3 but never knew it was actually confirmed. Good to know. I would thing NGC would have taken photos of them if they made it to David's desk and were a hot new thing at the time. Hmmmm.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

no, genuine coins do not show up in the pop report anywhere. i have tried to get this changed with no success.

its been discussed here a few times, a couple by me and the consensus is that there are too many crack-outs for them to really be of much use. even for low pop coins.

i agree.

i do still want error pops but i just get laughed at when i bring it up. i guess some people arent up for tracking huge data sets. i think it is a cake-walk.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are now 4 of these on ebay, all with ridiculously high asking prices.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Originally posted by: DCW
    There are now 4 of these on ebay, all with ridiculously high asking prices.

Leo Frese has coin #1 & 14 on eBay
    Other sellers have coins 12 & 16.

Just checked pop reports, a new AG at NGC and a new Good at PCGS. I'll add them, but not sure if those are graded examples of previously reported raw coins.

If anyone is/knows the owners of any of these, let me know so I can keep the census somewhat straight. Thanks.

========
    1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam) > Leo Frese
    Cert: 4815681

2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - John Hodson
    Cert: Unknown

3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhrich
    Cert:

4) ANACS EF-40 > PCGS XF-40 - small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin) > Leo Frese > ? > Great Collections ($9,075)
    Cert: 545047.40/29996937

5) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown (verified 5/6/7 separate coins)

6) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown (verified 5/6/7 separate coins)

7) NGC - Good - Owner Unknown (verified 5/6/7 separate coins)

8) XF - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15
    RAW

9) AG Details - Damaged - Roll searching, Alan Davis -Cointalk forums
    RAW

10) Good - 90% merc bag find - Natchez14 - (NGC Message Boards)
    RAW

11) VG - 3/18/16 auction listed on eBay raw - owner unknown (seller: flcoins - $2,250)
    RAW

12) PCGS - AG-3 - Owner Unknown > (eBay seller: cbcoins03)
    Cert: 545047.03/80661866

13) NGC - AG-3 - Owner Unknown > (eBay seller: boyernumismatics)
    Cert: 26877209-003

14) PCGS - GENUINE EdgeDmg - F Details > (eBay seller: fresebrothers)
    Cert: 545047.98/80510296

15) PCGS - Good (Pop reports, unsure if new/cross at this time)

16) NGC - AG-3 - (eBay seller: dwp23)
    Cert: 4231740-003

17) GET TO CHERRYPICKING

• Natchez14Natchez14 Posts: 81 ✭✭
    #10 still with me, and raw. Thanks for the update!

Successful transactions with Schmitz7, Bigbuck1975, chumley, CCHunter, Smittys, Gerard, Tookybandit, MorganMan94, LogPotato, coinlieutenant, GoldCoin98, pcgs69, Kccoin, ajaan, JBN, BLee23,....

Only 2 new developments to report.

#16 sold on eBay for $817.65 total a few days ago (NGC - AG3)
    #17 showed up in PCGS pop reports (VF-20) - since my original discovery is still on eBay in the ANACS VF-20, have to assume this is a new discovery as no other raw ones would fit into a VF category.

If anyone has further info to keep the census as updated as possible, please let me know.

Thanks!

===========

1) ANACS VF-20 - Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam) > Leo Frese
    Cert: 4815681

2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems - Confirmation piece - John Hodson

3) PCGS VG-8 unattributed, then ANACS VG-8, back to PCGS VG-8 Attributed - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhrich
    Cert:

4) ANACS EF-40 > PCGS XF-40 - small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin) > Leo Frese > ? > Great Collections ($9,075)

8) XF - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15
    RAW

RAW

RAW

11) VG - 3/18/16 auction listed on eBay raw - owner unknown (seller: flcoins - $2,250)
    RAW

16) NGC - AG-3 - (eBay seller: dwp23) (7/7 - eBay $816.66 + .99 Ship)

17) PCGS - VF-20 - Owner Unknown (Pop Reports)

18) GET TO CHERRYPICKING

Originally posted by: Realone
    I hate to say this but the reason why NO ONE is paying these outrageous greedy prices is because the sellers are mis-informed. This DDO is not a large enough DDO to warrant such insanely high prices.
    For fun I experimented and tried to find the new discovery on eBay, do you know hoe difficult it is trying to see the DDO on the monitor. It is literally impossible and yet I searched every 1919 10c from G to MS and it was a pain in the are because it is impossible to see unless it is greatly magnified and has a clear photo to boot.
    I realize I am asking for trouble because there are many Merc Dime collectors that look for the DDO & DDR and often invent these so-called DDO's & DDR's because it is what they want to see, that is what they do. It makes all VAMS look like they all should be rare when they obviously shouldn't.
    The price of these will drop when the sellers realize that this is no big deal and that there re many more out there besides the fact that they are hard to see.
    No way it deserves Redbook level note.

There have been a handful of public sales: XF-40 = $9,075, VG(Raw) = $2,250, AG-3 = $818, not to mention several private party transactions with the VG-8, VF-20 and XF-40 coins in the $4-6k range. Yes, there are a few languishing on eBay with maybe a bit optimistic pricing (AG’s in the $2200, or problem coins, or even my original discovery piece sitting at $11,500). One has to argue that Leo uses the discovery piece primarily to drive attention to the DDO and to purchase others privately though.

The eBay search you embarked on has been and continues to be replicated by many members of the boards here - as far as I know - nobody has yet to get one off of eBay unattributed. It is hard at times as you said due to picture quality. I know a few have taken a chance on less than perfect pictures, but struck out.

When it comes to VAMs or the “Lesser” Merc Dime DDO/DDRs you refer to, I won’t argue with you. Some are so miniscule, that even I who enjoys varieties don’t think that much of them. I do think you may be underestimating this particular DDO though as you can see it with the naked eye (in-hand or with clear pictures).

Will prices drop? probably over time as more come out, sure, who knows if the pricing today will hold. We are only at 17 examples, with many worn. I think a couple of the “Top Pops” may hold their value fairly well, not sure about all the AG/G and Details coins that will show up over time.

As for the Redbook, the guru’s of the Redbook are still “Monitoring” the development of the dime. From what I understand it isn’t so much the quality/boldness of the DDO that kept it out so far, it certainly is on par with a few others already in the Redbook, it’s just a matter of judging collector interest and seeing if enough of them show up to be collectable to be included in the future.

Other than the coolness factor of having something you had a hand in bringing to light possibly being in the Redbook, I sold my discovery coin awhile back, and really have no “Dog in the fight” - I kind of keep the census due to the numerous messages and questions I get. Think it helps a few folks, and potentially raises some awareness for it.

I have no clue where this dime will end up in say 5 years. Personally, I think it’s one of the top varieties in the Merc Dime series - certainly most dime collectors will someday want to add it, but I have no idea if it will spread beyond dime enthusiasts. Time will tell.

• ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The discovery piece is now graded PCGS VF-20 with CAC approval.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I hate to say this but the reason why NO ONE is paying these outrageous greedy prices is because the sellers are mis-informed. This DDO is not a large enough DDO to warrant such insanely high prices."

I totally disagree with this-I believe it to be a very significant doubled die.
    Originally posted by: ianrussell
    The discovery piece is now graded PCGS VF-20 with CAC approval.

- Ian

Thanks for the update, I updated the census in the 1st post. Just curious why Leo still has it listed on eBay (Now discounted down to $9,817.50)

Can I assume since this info is coming from you it will be in a future Greatcollections auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-1...cb4:g:2jkAAOSwwPhWhsqo

• ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely have the coin and yes, it is appearing in an upcoming GreatCollections auction. I anticipate it listing next week and will end on August 21st. We will have it on display at the ANA. The coin is being sold without reserve.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting!! I will be watching it.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The XF example I was shown last year is in my pocket and will soon be on its way to PCGS. StrikeoutXXX has an image.

It is available to view at my table at Baltimore.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
    Originally posted by: EagleEye
    The XF example I was shown last year is in my pocket and will soon be on its way to PCGS. StrikeoutXXX has an image.

Here are Rick's Cell Phone pics of what we have been referring to as Coin #8 for the last year. Looks like a very nice example. Hard to compare with Justin's close-ups of Coin #4 (PCGS-XF40) but I believe Rick's is just as good, if not a tad better. Looking forward to close-ups (Hey Rick - drop this baby off at one of the many photographers at Baltimore!) and seeing how PCGS grades it.

Here are Rick's Cell Phone pics of what we have been referring to as Coin #8 for the last year. Looks like a very nice example. Hard to compare with Justin's close-ups of Coin #4 (PCGS-XF40) but I believe Rick's is just as good, if not a tad better. Looking forward to close-ups (Hey Rick - drop this baby off at one of the many photographers at Baltimore!) and seeing how PCGS grades it.

Wow, that is nice!! From what I can see in the small images, I think it is better than the example I had found. I think it could go 45.
    Anything on the origins of the coin StrikeOut? Like where it was located?
    This was bought by a NYC collector in 2006. Picked out of an album at a show. He noticed the DDO but never thought much of it until it was publicized. I will take close-ups prior to submitting.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭
    This example was discovered yesterday by Dennis Tarrant (forum member Numisma) and Victor Romero, and photographed by yours truly. It appears to be no better than FR02, however it is remarkably problem-free.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
    It's amazing that the doubling is in such a well protected area that it remains that visible in such a low condition.
    Thanks EagleEye for the information. It makes you wonder how many other varieties have been discovered that are just set aside as a neat oddity.
    Nice, we go months without much action, and things start picking up again.

So as we sit right now to the best of my knowledge, here is the census. Please let me know any missing info or further developments. As predicted, it looks like as we pick up more discoveries, this is going to be a tough one in problem-free, higher condition.

1) PCGS VF-20 (From ANACS VF-20) Discovery piece (StrikeOutXXX / Jeff Sam) > Leo Frese > Great Collections Soon
    PCGS Cert: Unknown ANACS Cert was: 4815681

3) PCGS VG-8 (From ANACS VG-8) - Bulk over the counter B&M Purchase (KearneyCC / Bjorn Bergstrom) > Leo Frese > Rich Uhrich
    Cert:

4) PCGS XF-40 (From ANACS EF-40)- small show Portland, OR (Dealer folder unattributed) - (jtlee321/Justin) > Leo Frese > ? > Great Collections ($9,075)

8) XF - Shown to Rick Snow in Baltimore 7/15 - Reconfirmed 7/16 - Rick Has it now.
    RAW

RAW

RAW

RAW

16) NGC - AG-3 - (eBay seller: dwp23) (7/7 - eBay $816.66 + .99 Ship)

17) FR-2 - Dennis Tarrant (Numisma) & Victor Romero
    RAW

18) GET TO CHERRYPICKING

The images appear broken.
    Fixed - thanks.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Still looking. Nice pics.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pictures, Rick!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Nice looking 1919. I think it might be at EF40 as well. Interesting that I have yet to see any others imaged with the die crack from the Liberty's hat to the rim like the example I had found. The reverse of the specimen that Rick posted does have the die crack on the reverse from the rim through the C of AMERICA.
    Originally posted by: jtlee321
    Nice looking 1919. I think it might be at EF40 as well. Interesting that I have yet to see any others imaged with the die crack from the Liberty's hat to the rim like the example I had found. The reverse of the specimen that Rick posted does have the die crack on the reverse from the rim through the C of AMERICA.

One of the lower grade pieces had the Obv die crack, have to dig through pictures and find it. (Found it - the #10 coin has it)

Rick's piece looks to be a bit stronger than Justin's, not sure if it has enough to go XF-45, but I think side by side with the XF-40 out there, it is stronger.

Now... what is more exciting is look at the "WE" - there is doubling evident on it that is not in the other examples. CONECA catalogued it as "Very strong spread on IN, dot, GOD, and TRUST" no mention of we. Even looking at the pic on NGC's variety site of the AU Details coin it isn't evident (although slightly washed out by light). It doesn't follow the same direction of 1st/2nd detail though, need to stare at the images a bit more.

Not sure about that "WE." Wrong direction and wrong amount of doubling. Might be our old nemesis machine doubling, which can occur on a coin struck from a doubled die.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    I'm nearly certain that is is machine doubling. You can see the MD in the L of LIBERTY in the last shot posted.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Wrong direction and wrong amount of doubling. Might be our old nemesis machine doubling, which can occur on a coin struck from a doubled die.

+1

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Not sure about that "WE." Wrong direction and wrong amount of doubling. Might be our old nemesis machine doubling, which can occur on a coin struck from a doubled die.

Strike doubling for sure.
    Wow, Rick's example is gorgeous! The doubling really pops. Would love to see an uncirculated example pop up.
    Guess it is just a matter of time...

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strike doubling for sure.

Agree.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FadeToBlack

Wow, Rick's example is gorgeous! The doubling really pops. Would love to see an uncirculated example pop up.

I wouldn't say that. Survival rates in MS have to be under .03% for dates like this.

That would be ~11k mint state coins out of a mintage of 35,740,000.

Given MS coins of this era generally were saved in batches that came from the same few dies, I'd say the odds are that a MS example doesn't exist.

I agree that the odds are strongly against a MS coin surfacing, but I think one will.
    Congrats Rick - I have to assume the PCGS XF-45 now in the pop reports is your coin?

Originally posted by: FadeToBlack

I wouldn't say that. Survival rates in MS have to be under .03% for dates like this.

That would be ~11k mint state coins out of a mintage of 35,740,000.

Given MS coins of this era generally were saved in batches that came from the same few dies, I'd say the odds are that a MS example doesn't exist.

I would be shocked if a Mint state example never turns up. They always do. Almost 36 million 1919 dimes were minted. At least a handful have to be out there hiding in plain sight, I assure you.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

Congrats Rick - I have to assume the PCGS XF-45 now in the pop reports is your coin?

Yes it is. I'll have it at the ANA

Yes it is. I'll have it at the ANA

Congrats on the current "Top Pop"

I sorted the census a little as some were mentioning the "Condition Census" Makes it a bit easier to put thing in perspective. The (#) is the actual census number I've been using, but all the known coins by condition are:

Certified Straight Grade
    (8) PCGS XF-45
    (4) PCGS XF-40
    (1) PCGS VF-20
    (3) PCGS VG-8
    (5) NGC G-6
    (6) NGC G-6
    (7) NGC G-4
    (15) PCGS G-4
    (16) NGC AG-3
    (13) NGC AG-3
    (12) PCGS AG-3

Raw - Best guess at grade - likely problem free
    (11) - VG
    (10) - Good
    (17) - Fair

Issues
    (2) NCS AU-50 Details - Environmental Problems
    (14) PCGS F Details - Genuine Edge Dmg
    (9) RAW - AG Details, Damaged

I requested a TrueView and I'll post that when it is made, unless they forget to do it.
    It was shipped yesterday. No TureView although I paid for the service. Does that happen often?
  • Coin #16 was my coin.
    Originally posted by: CLC2010
    Coin #16 was my coin.

Nice, first heard of that one on eBay. Decent price for an AG.

What is the backstory on finding that coin?

• Soon after reading about your discovery coin on here I attended a local show and decided to look for this coin. The first table I stopped at had a basket full of mercury dimes on it including 5 1919 dimes. The second one I looked at appeared to have a shot at being the DDO. Sent it to NGC 8 months later and they confirmed it! Never found another one but still looking.
  • MartinMartin Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW GC Has the discovery coin up for auction.
    Originally posted by: Martin
    FWIW GC Has the discovery coin up for auction.

Too bad it lost it's "First Reported" or didn't get a "Discovery Piece" label at PCGS.

When I first discovered it, I had a ton... and I mean a TON of offers to buy this coin. Many way below what these have since gone for, but I did have A LOT of offers in cash or PCGS Price Guide trades in the $4k-10k range. Although I did well selling this to Leo, I am curious now that there are 17 in the census, what this will bring. Yea, it's the discovery coin, which I suppose adds a little bit of mystique to it, but t's now the 3rd highest straight-graded coin out there.

So there you go all you folks who made me offers when I owned it, now is your chance to get it 8-)

http://www.greatcollections.co...-FS-101-PCGS-VF-20-CAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file