Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• Options
    HCumberdaleHCumberdale Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

Updated slab and cert. Sorry for the quick cell phone pics, I am most definitely not a professional photographer :)

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2017 5:33PM

Well? Somebody please chime in-
    what did it bring?

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @HCumberdale - Updated the census - good luck on the sale. I'm sure I'll be watching, but post when it's over in case I forget.

@Sandman70gt Wow, I just looked yesterday afternoon and it hadn't sold, shows it sold yesterday at 5:18pm and was NOT a best offer, but sold at the BIN of $13,250. Unless @EagleEye has a different update he wishes to share, I'm going with what eBay is showing and added it to the sold part of the census as it shows. Congrats Rick!

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to find one of these....HAVE TO.....as I will not pay 5K for an AG coin! Just won't happen! :/

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sandman70gt said:
    Well? Somebody please chime in-
    what did it bring?

Someone pulled a prank - they ordered the coin and then cancelled. It is not sold.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

@EagleEye said:
    Someone pulled a prank - they ordered the coin and then cancelled. It is not sold.

Well that didn't seem like a very nice prank. Removed the sale from the census. Hopefully the XF40 does well at Stacks and bumps the bar up for XF pieces, and will drive some traffic to your XF45.

• Options

The PCGS XF-40 just came up at the Stacks/Bowers May 2017 Collectors Choice Online Auction.
    Lot #91126 was a Pass/No Sale due to reserve not met (of $7,500).
    Surprising as the coin last sold in February 2016 at Great Collections for $9,075

As I was watching the lots before it, nearly every variety/FS# coin failed to meet reserve. I'm beginning to think eBay and Great Collections are going to be the place for these?

This is the 2nd 1919 DDO to not meet reserve at Stacks/Bowers (#3 Coin - PCGS VG8 in August 2016 failed to meet its reserve of $3,400) although that one might have been priced just a tad high as a raw VG sold on eBay the month before that for $2,250. I would have estimated that coin to go about $2,500.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-7HDLW

• Options

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    The PCGS XF-40 just came up at the Stacks/Bowers May 2017 Collectors Choice Online Auction.
    Lot #91126 was a Pass/No Sale due to reserve not met (of $7,500).
    Surprising as the coin last sold in February 2016 at Great Collections for $9,075

As I was watching the lots before it, nearly every variety/FS# coin failed to meet reserve. I'm beginning to think eBay and Great Collections are going to be the place for these?

This is the 2nd 1919 DDO to not meet reserve at Stacks/Bowers (#3 Coin - PCGS VG8 in August 2016 failed to meet its reserve of $3,400) although that one might have been priced just a tad high as a raw VG sold on eBay the month before that for $2,250. I would have estimated that coin to go about $2,500.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-7HDLW

I think this variety is just priced way to high.

Just my 10 cents.

• Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

The NGC AG03 that is attached to my name has sold for an undisclosed 4 figure amount.

• Options

@boyernumismatics said:
    The NGC AG03 that is attached to my name has sold for an undisclosed 4 figure amount.

Thanks for the update - if it went about $1k, a little bit above the other public AG sales, but now that it's in the registry, maybe more folks are looking.

Census now just reads as:
    13) NGC - AG-3 - (Consigned to eBay seller: boyernumismatics) Was a dealer inventory roll find. > Sold for undisclosed 4-figure amount 5/2017
    Cert: 2687209-003

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

I wonder what the original finder was thinking when they first saw the double letters?

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:

@boyernumismatics said:

Thanks for the update - if it went about $1k, a little bit above the other public AG sales, but now that it's in the registry, maybe more folks are looking.

Census now just reads as:
    13) NGC - AG-3 - (Consigned to eBay seller: boyernumismatics) Was a dealer inventory roll find. > Sold for undisclosed 4-figure amount 5/2017
    Cert: 2687209-003

I spoke to this dealer today, it was between 1.2 and 1.5k

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options

@coin22lover said:
    I wonder what the original finder was thinking when they first saw the double letters

I first saw it just flipping through the 2x2s quickly and put it in the good pile. Then when going through the pile closer got a little excited, so looked through all my books and online sources and found nothing. Figuring I either have something good here, or the strangest case of Machine Doubling I've ever saw, posted pictures on the forum with other stuff from the box I bought. A few initial responses said it was MD or at just "neat". I didn't think much else of it for a few days as I sorted through more of the box. Few days later I posted it by itself ATS and interest picked up, and Capt Henway replied screaming Doubled Die and got me in touch with the right folks. After about 2 weeks of mailing it off and waiting for the expert opinions and a confirmation piece to be found it was verified as a DD and given FS & CONECA numbers Tom wrote the article for Coin World and other publications and the rest is history. It was a fun 15 minutes of fame. I sold the discovery piece, and now just live vicariously through this post and keeping the census up to date :)

• Options
    Natchez14Natchez14 Posts: 81 ✭✭

I appreciate you keeping up with the census, and reporting here. I have this thread saved and love getting a notice when something is added to the thread. I still hold mine raw, and hope that some day demand will increase.

Successful transactions with Schmitz7, Bigbuck1975, chumley, CCHunter, Smittys, Gerard, Tookybandit, MorganMan94, LogPotato, coinlieutenant, GoldCoin98, pcgs69, Kccoin, ajaan, JBN, BLee23,....

• Options

@Natchez14 said:
    I appreciate you keeping up with the census, and reporting here. I have this thread saved and love getting a notice when something is added to the thread. I still hold mine raw, and hope that some day demand will increase.

I think there is "Demand" out there - lots of folks "Want One" but feel it's still priced high I think (See DIMEMAN's reply up above, and he's probably in the top 1% of those who would be interested). No greysheet or retail guides carry it yet - and only a few public sales not listed anywhere really except perhaps this post to go by has a lot of folks waiting for the dust to settle. It's only been a bit over 2 years now since it came to light. Just need to get some more out there in public auctions (Great Collections and eBay are the only 2 places they've sold so far). Would really help if the MegaRed (or regular Redbook) and one of the trade magazines to list it. With AG's having sales history of $800-1.2kish, and VG having one sale of $2,250 - just need to get one of the 4 graded "Goods" into a GC/eBay auction to gauge your raw Good. I figure any of the straight-graded Goods would likely go in the $1500-$2000 range.

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:

@Natchez14 said:

I think there is "Demand" out there - lots of folks "Want One" but feel it's still priced high I think (See DIMEMAN's reply up above, and he's probably in the top 1% of those who would be interested). No greysheet or retail guides carry it yet - and only a few public sales not listed anywhere really except perhaps this post to go by has a lot of folks waiting for the dust to settle. It's only been a bit over 2 years now since it came to light. Just need to get some more out there in public auctions (Great Collections and eBay are the only 2 places they've sold so far). Would really help if the MegaRed (or regular Redbook) and one of the trade magazines to list it. With AG's having sales history of $800-1.2kish, and VG having one sale of $2,250 - just need to get one of the 4 graded "Goods" into a GC/eBay auction to gauge your raw Good. I figure any of the straight-graded Goods would likely go in the $1500-$2000 range.

The one I referred to earlier sold at the Houston show last weekend.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options

Not much news lately, but I noticed there are 2 new coins in the pop reports.

Anybody have any information on whether these were ones previously raw in the census submitted, new discoveries, crosses, etc?

A 2nd PCGS VG8 in the reports (was 1, now 2)
    -- could be the raw ~VG coin (#11 in census) sold on eBay 3/2016???

A 4th "PrAg" in the NGC report (was 3, now 4)
    -- The #9 coin in the census- a raw "AGish/Damaged" coin is closest - but doubt that one would have straight graded, or perhaps Natchez's ~Good coin (#10 in census) if it didn't quite make good?

I had 21 confirmed separate examples in the census - not sure if we're up to 23 or not - any info is appreciated.

• Options
    Natchez14Natchez14 Posts: 81 ✭✭

not me

Successful transactions with Schmitz7, Bigbuck1975, chumley, CCHunter, Smittys, Gerard, Tookybandit, MorganMan94, LogPotato, coinlieutenant, GoldCoin98, pcgs69, Kccoin, ajaan, JBN, BLee23,....

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I've said before-it surely merits a listing in the Red Book. And in the Greysheet as well. One positive of not seeing it there, tho, is that it gives those of us trying to cherry one a much better chance of doing just that.

• Options

Not much new going on here - still waiting on that Cherrypicker volume to come out with the Dime in it - hopefully that brings more to the forefront.

• Up to 24 believed examples known (22 are confirmed unique, 2 still pending verification, but believe are good)

• The PCGS XF-45 changed hands from Rick Snow to Dimeman in a trade

• The #23 coin was confirmed (Thanks Dave) - 23) NGC AG-3 Cert: 4355126-010

• Still trying to confirm coins #22 & 24 (22 from July, 24 just showed up this month in pop reports) Any info would be appreciated on either.
      22) PCGS VG-8 - New to pop report 7/2017 - Trying to confirm new/cross/regrade, etc
      24) PCGS - AG-3 - New to pop report 10/2017 - Trying to conform new/cross/regrade, etc

** If anyone has any other info on coin(s) out there, please let me know here or via PM.

As always - the overall census, census by grade, and known sales history are in the 1st post of this thread. I still haven't fixed my old photobucket pictures though - time always seems to elude me.

Jeff

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread, thanks for keeping it up to date.

PS: Damn Photobucket!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@afford said:
    IMHO the dime isn't rare at all, it has never been searched for. Once everyone puts it on their radar there will be many many more.

You certainly have a right to your opinion, but I strongly disagree. There are a lot of people looking for this variety.

Of course I could be wrong....only time will tell.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@afford said:
    IMHO the dime isn't rare at all, it has never been searched for. Once everyone puts it on their radar there will be many many more.

Let's see. A spread that wide, going unnoticed for 100yrs. Yeah, not rare at all.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been on the lookout since this discovery was announced. No luck.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been inactive for a spell and didn't realize that @DIMEMAN had acquired one.
    I can't think of a better home for one of these. Congrats.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

@afford said:

We are 2.5+ Years into this discovery, and we're up to a total of 24 reported. Of those, only 8 are Problem-Free VG and above.

Granted, I'm sure there are some out there unnoticed in novice collections seldom looked at, "Childhood" collections typically in those Sucrets tins that won't get thought of until their descendants get them, etc etc. At this point, I have to believe a fairly good portion of coins in the saleable/active coin collector base have been looked at, which again, still leaves plenty more to be gone though over time. Probably plenty more low grade ones sitting in 90% bags somewhere locked away in a vault, but.... what do you consider many many more?

Let's say it finally comes out in the CPG before too long, maybe even makes the Redbook (or MegaRed) - in another 2.5 years (At the 5-year known mark) how many do you think will be in the census... maybe 100? With what... maybe 25-30 at/above VG, with maybe 5 or so in "Collector Grades"?

Personally... I'm sure the population will grow - I think this is going to be tough in higher grades of course, and maybe there are enough found where the term "Rare" isn't applied to it, but I still think it will be highly sought after and ranked up there with some of the bigger DDOs in numismatics, but again... just my opinion.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like any other coin variety that is found many years later, there is no real idea how many are out there. There still may be some unattributed laying around in old, seldom looked at collections. (disguised as regular coins).

The price reflects the rarity at the moment, and the fact that there are less specimens than demand.

I still don't think even now that the verdict is out on this coin.

Parting thought......I just love how the "T" looks like the PI symbol!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2017 6:00AM

With the sale of the XF-45 example, seems PCGS has updated their Coinfacts entry on the DDO:
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/545047

It now includes the $10k price in its price guide for XF45, and includes this write-up:
    Ron Guth: This significant Doubled Die Obverse was first reported in the March 17, 2015 issue of Numismatic News Express. It was discovered by Scott Kerr and publicized by Jeffrey Sam. The doubling is most evident on the Motto "IN GOD WE TRUST" but can also be seen on the L and the I of "LIBERTY". As of October 2017, the finest example certified by PCGS was an XF45, a coin which was reportedly sold to John Potts for $10,000 by Eagle Eye Rare Coins.

@CoinKing - Just a few things on that info:
    1) NNE wasn't the first to report it - they used a press release from @CaptHenway to write their article, which came out after the Coin World one. Coin World was the first to release info publicly also from Tom's press release - 2/24/15 they released their online teaser article, then 2/27/15 they released the full article online (Which was used a few weeks later in print on the cover of their March Coin World magazine).

I had posted the coin in a thread here (I'm Jeff Sam BTW) on 2/5/15, then its own thread (this one) on 2/9/15 and the coin was with Bill Fivaz on 2/12/15 and Tom had his press release ready to go as soon as Bill confirmed it.

2) The XF-45 coin is the DDO obviously, but... it also displays Machine Doubling in other areas of the coin. The "L and I of Liberty" as well as being very evident in the "WE" of IGWT is NOT part of the DDO Diagnostics. Of the 24 examples reported, this coin is the ONLY one with those traits, and when Rick posted the pictures, everyone who looked at them agreed that this coin was ALSO machine doubled.

I understand you are starting to add values to the PCGS Price-Guide. In the 1st post of this thread, I keep the census of known coins, a list of the coins by condition, and any sales history I'm privy to. Here is the sales history if you wish to fill in, or at least start to for the other grades out there:

SALES HISTORY:
    There have been several completed “Public” sales (eBay and Great Collections) so far. Prices include GC buyers premium, and eBay shipping. Private sales will be included if desired and verifiable.

(8) PCGS XF45 - $10,000 10/2017 - Private Sale: Rick Snow > Dimeman
    (4) PCGS XF40 - $9,075 (2/14/2016 GC)
    (1) PCGS VF20 - $4,290 (2/26/17 GC)
    (1) PCGS VF20 - $3,960 (8/21/2016 GC)
    (11) Raw VG - $2,250 (7/2016 eBay)
    (16) NGC AG3 - $817.65 (9/2016 GC)
    (19) PCGS Genuiine AG Details - Cleaning $725 (3/6/17 eBay) Resold with proper auction title
    (17) PCGS FR2 - $606.83 (9/4/2016 GC)
    (19) PCGS Genuine AG Details - Cleaning $203.53 (Wasn't properly advertised as DDO in auction) (10/2016 eBay)

Based on the past sales history, a little bit of guessing, and perhaps changing conditions since then (population for instance) just my own opinion if you wanted to fill in the other prices for grades known, I would start with something like:

45 - $10,000
    40 - $9,000
    20 - $4,250
    10 - $3,000
    8 - $2,500
    4 - $1,750
    3 - $900
    2 - $600

@Dentuck Hint Hint on above, if someone was researching prices for a print publication, may be a good starting point as well 8-)

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update. It's really cool that something like this can still be found after all these years.

Larry

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

"An intriguing little coin, delicate in character but with a bold finish, with hints of 1955 Lincoln cent."

The 1919 DDO will be covered in the next edition of MEGA RED, scheduled to debut in March 2018. So sharpen your loupes --- you have a few months to hunt for them undisturbed by the hoi polloi!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

A-hoi, mateys!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    edited October 27, 2017 8:02PM

That was the 24 coin in the census just listed a few days ago too by a forum member.

@KearneyCC That was quick Bjorn!!! - I underestimated what someone would buy an AG3 for although it's been over a year since an NGC one sold for $817.65.

I updated the sales history in the census, congrats!

• Options

The #21 coin NGC-AG3 which had been on eBay for a long time with a BIN of $4,999.99 finally sold for "Best Offer" - which according to watchcount, was $770 + 2.66 shipping.
    http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php?bkw=1919+ddo&bcat=0&bcts=&sfsb=Show+Me!&csbin=all&cssrt=ts&bslr=&bnp=&bxp=#serp

The #13 coin (also NGC AG-3) is listed in a normal auction, albeit with a starting bid of $1,399.99 - you have 4.5 days to bid on this. (not my coin, just providing info)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-DDO-DOUBLED-DIE-OBVERSE-ERROR-FS-101-MERCURY-DIME-10c-NGC-AG-3-SUPER-RARE/282736966571?hash=item41d46fbbab:g:Ju0AAOSwJtdaDjhs

Be interesting if that one finds a home with a PCGS AG3 getting BINd a few weeks ago for $1,599.99 but NGC AG3s going for $772.62-$817.65 sales history. Maybe it's the PCGS registry desires?

That being said, I have photos of all but I think 2 of the 24 coins saved. What amazes me is the difference in the lower graded ones. For instance, comparing The AG3's and even the FR2 to each other - there is clearly different tiers in the grading. I like the FR2 better than many of the AG3s - the difference in the details of the coins is night and day - just saying... if you are in the market for one of the lower graded ones, do your homework if you can, as there are clearly - well, for lack of a better way to describe this - CAC'able AG3s out there and many that aren't if that makes sense.

As always - the 1st post has updated census and sales history - If anyone has more info on any of the coins, send me a PM.
    Here is sales history as of right now:

(8) PCGS XF45 - $10,000 10/2017 - Private Sale: Rick Snow > Dimeman
    (4) PCGS XF40 - $9,075 (2/14/2016 GC)
    (1) PCGS VF20 - $4,290 (2/26/17 GC)
    (1) PCGS VF20 - $3,960 (8/21/2016 GC)
    (11) Raw VG - $2,250 (7/2016 eBay)
    (24) PCGS AG3 - $1,599.99 (10/27/17 eBay - Buy It Now)
    (16) NGC AG3 - $817.65 (9/2016 GC)
    (21) NGC AG3 - $772.66 (10/15/17 eBay Best Offer)
    (19) PCGS Genuiine AG Details - Cleaning $725 (3/6/17 eBay) Resold with proper auction title
    (17) PCGS FR2 - $606.83 (9/4/2016 GC)
    (19) PCGS Genuine AG Details - Cleaning $203.53 (Wasn't properly advertised as DDO in auction) (10/2016 eBay)

• Options

It is nice to see these sell when they become available. Thanks for keeping the first post up-to-date... You are now showing the last NCG AG3 (coin 13) going for $1399.99 in your first post.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    With the sale of the XF-45 example, seems PCGS has updated their Coinfacts entry on the DDO:
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/545047

It now includes the $10k price in its price guide for XF45, and includes this write-up:
    Ron Guth: This significant Doubled Die Obverse was first reported in the March 17, 2015 issue of Numismatic News Express. It was discovered by Scott Kerr and publicized by Jeffrey Sam. The doubling is most evident on the Motto "IN GOD WE TRUST" but can also be seen on the L and the I of "LIBERTY". As of October 2017, the finest example certified by PCGS was an XF45, a coin which was reportedly sold to John Potts for $10,000 by Eagle Eye Rare Coins.

@CoinKing - Just a few things on that info:
    1) NNE wasn't the first to report it - they used a press release from @CaptHenway to write their article, which came out after the Coin World one. Coin World was the first to release info publicly also from Tom's press release - 2/24/15 they released their online teaser article, then 2/27/15 they released the full article online (Which was used a few weeks later in print on the cover of their March Coin World magazine).

I had posted the coin in a thread here (I'm Jeff Sam BTW) on 2/5/15, then its own thread (this one) on 2/9/15 and the coin was with Bill Fivaz on 2/12/15 and Tom had his press release ready to go as soon as Bill confirmed it.

At my request, the "first reported" information has been corrected on PCGSCoinFacts.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

It was nice being able to be the caretaker for a while... I thoroughly looked it over and I could not identify any other pick up points beyond the motto. Now maybe I can get a better one somewhere down the line.

• Options

Thanks @CaptHenway I'm still worried he mentions diagnostics that aren't really diagnostics.

@fcloud congrats on your brief ownership - I updated the sales history from your site and the one Gerry Fortin sold from his site in the census. You got a steal on that "Best Offer". Seems to the right people, prices are picking up a little bit.

I can't wait for this year's Mega Red to have the dime listed, and the next CPG (Anyone have a release date for that - it's been in the planning stages for a long time).

• Options

Total known still 24, right?

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Total known still 24, right?

As far as I know, yes, but I'm on vacation this week in Finland so haven't done my weekly searching.

• Options

ttt

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I see 12 at PCGS (10 graded and 2 genuine) and NGC shows 8.

Here are the ones I see listed at PCGS, not sure if you are keeping track of cert numbers along with the sales.

25606326 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C XF40
    32476123 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C VG08
    34199108 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C AG03
    80510296 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C Genuine Fine Details (98 - Damage)
    80661866 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C AG03
    81179058 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C G04
    81388342 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C VF20
    81423166 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C XF45
    81692204 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C FR02
    81862971 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C Genuine AG Details (92 - Cleaned)
    81866568 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C VG10
    84200019 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C VG08

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2018 1:59PM

Thanks, just checked the list against the census (1st post in this thread) - You had a cert number I had missed, thanks. I added the coin # (as far as the census goes) to your list, but all accounted for.

There are 12 in PCGS holders (straight & details), 8 in NGC straight, 1 in NCS (details) and 3 raw.
    I have pictures of all but 1 of them and compare when new ones show up if they are duplicates or such, but I'm pretty sure the 24 are all unique.

Nothing much else new lately - a little over 3 years into this discovery, and still mired at 24 known examples. The Dime should be in this year's Mega Red (Still haven't seen it) - you folks at Baltimore take a peek for me.

Happy Hunting!

Here are the ones I see listed at PCGS, not sure if you are keeping track of cert numbers along with the sales.

(4) 25606326 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C XF40
    (3) 32476123 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C VG08
    (24) 34199108 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C AG03
    (14) 80510296 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C Genuine Fine Details (98 - Damage)
    (12) 80661866 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C AG03
    (15) 81179058 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C G04
    (1) 81388342 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C VF20
    (8) 81423166 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C XF45
    (17) 81692204 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C FR02
    (19) 81862971 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C Genuine AG Details (92 - Cleaned)
    (18) 81866568 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C VG10
    (22) 84200019 545047 1919 DDO FS-101 10C VG08

• Options

Not much new - still at 24 examples known to me.

I went through my pictures and added if each was a stage A or B as CONECA defines them. B = Die crack on Obv from wing to rim at K2 and die crack on reverse through "C" of AMERICA.
    You can see these here: http://varietyvista.com/06 Mercury Dime/1919PDDO001.htm

8 of them are Stage B = 4/5/7/10/12/14/18/19

I do NOT have any pictures of coin #15 or #22 to check. If anyone has pictures of these, please post or PM me with pictures, or if you own them and don't want pictures out there, let me know if they are A or B please.

15) PCGS - G4 (Pop reports, owner unknown)
    Cert: 545047.04/81179058
    Stage Unknown

22) PCGS VG-8 - New to pop report 7/2017
    Cert: 545047.08/84200019
    Stage Unknown

Other than that, I finally got to see this year's Mega Red entry for the dime, it was a nice entry. Hope it's just the beginning of getting it added to various reference material.

• Options

Welcome Number 25 to the Census. Just showed up in the PCGS Pop Reports.
    I have compared to the photos of the raw and all previously graded examples and this is a new find.

25) PCGS - AG-3 - New to Pop Report 7/2018
    Cert: 545047.03/35756830
    Stage A

So... Anyone here make this coin? @KearneyCC did you make yet another one? 8-)

Also... for you guys wanting a photo-census, I'm working with one of the YouTube variety coin channels for them to make a video including all the photos I've accumulated in the last 3.5 years. Just starting that project, so may be a little bit, but should be out soon.

As always - reply or shoot me a PM if you have any info of any of the known or any unknown examples.

• Options

Have not seen Mega Red yet. Can you post a scan of the listing?

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Have not seen Mega Red yet. Can you post a scan of the listing?

Don’t own the new edition, read it at a coin show.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strike out , the 25th coin is mine, was found in a bag of mercs about 3-4 weeks ago. It has that planchet scrape thru the date, so I was thinking it might only net grade, but thankfully they regular holder it, AG but still regular holder.

Probably will be listing it on ebay momentarily.

• Options

@jdimmick said:
    Strike out , the 25th coin is mine, was found in a bag of mercs about 3-4 weeks ago. It has that planchet scrape thru the date, so I was thinking it might only net grade, but thankfully they regular holder it, AG but still regular holder.

Probably will be listing it on ebay momentarily.

Congratulations! Did you get the bag of mercs specifically with the intent of searching for the DDO?

Other than fcloud's best offer he got pretty cheap (that owner must have been in a hurry to sell) the lower grade ones have had decent success in the past 9 or so months. Good luck with your sale - I'll be watching to update the sales history in the census.

(17) PCGS FR2 - $1,475 (1/2/18 - Sold through Gerry Fortin's website - seateddimevarieties.com)
    (21) NGC AG3 - $2,195 (12/24/17 - Sold through ARSave Collectables Website www.arsave.com)
    (13) NGC AG3 - $1,399.99 (11/21/17 eBay)
    (21) NGC AG3 - $772.66 (11/15/17 eBay Best Offer)
    (24) PCGS AG3 - $1,599.99 (10/27/17 eBay - Buy It Now)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file