Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭
    The only thing "questionable" on that XF specimen is the hair on WE. image That scares me.....

You can really see the split in the last T in TRUST on that new specimen.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't go hairing splits?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    OK, folks. It's the weekend. Coin showtime!

Start your cherrypicking!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, folks. It's the weekend. Coin showtime!

Start your cherrypicking! >>

I went to the only show in my area - a 15 or so table show, with about 5 of them being post cards, stamps, comic books, etc. So... of the 10 tables there, I found SIX 1919-P Dimes (with 2 dealers), of which, none were this DDO.

6 down (plus the one I found, plus #2, so...), 34,699,992 left to go through.

I still think more of these are going to be found in junk boxes, bulk 90% bags, etc than will be found in dealer cases. When I asked if they had any 1919 Mercury Dimes, the usual response is something like - We don't carry many common coins - unless they are BU, they get scrapped for silver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that very last point you make, Jeff, might be where many of them ended up, assuming there were very many in the first place.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a GREAT find!!!! Congrats is in order here. Way to go!!!!!!!!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I looked at all the 1919 Mercs I could find in Nevada, IA this weekend.

No joy.

One gal behind a table gave me the "eye", while I looked through two different binders containing 1919 Mercs with a loupe. "What's up with that?" was her expression.

Probably not too many loupe lookers in her binders.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does the dot between IN and GOD not appear to show doubling on this second example? >>

That is a sign of die usage/wear which may equate to people being able to find more examples. The other option could be the die was clashed and the die was ground to repair the clash, and while repairing the die the just didn't notice the doubled die. In any case is it normal for dies to wear, and stuff like this happens. One Mercury Dime I know quite a bit about is the 1936-S FS-110. I have seen earlier die examples which show more details. Then there are some where the markings have become less and less. This gets to a point on late die state coins which the markings around the date are gone completely. These examples have a die scratch on the reverse which is not on the earlier die strike examples. What can't be known is if a worker found the marking and repaired the die, or if the natural die usage removed the markings.

I know the show I setup at today had a couple of people looking for the 1919 DDO. Neither stopped back to report, so I am pretty sure they didn't find anything. Once this is publicized it should be fun to see how many are found.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• gonzergonzer Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the better coin stories in years!
    Seems Dave Lange is on the ball. NGCs listing for this coin.

http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-varieties/mercury-dimes/1919-ddo-10c-fs-101-5636

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With permission from Bill Fivaz, here is the motto from specimen #2, the XF piece.

As well as mine for comparison

image >>

How in the hell does that not get noticed for nearly 100 years?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is all wonderfully exciting, and great fun to be following here! To be massively redundant: congratulations!!

I immediately dug out my Merc Whitman from childhood and checked my 1919-P: no luck. >>

Absolutely! Same here, the one 1919 dime I have is not the DDO.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

<< <i>

<< <i>Why does the dot between IN and GOD not appear to show doubling on this second example? >>

That is a sign of die usage/wear which may equate to people being able to find more examples. The other option could be the die was clashed and the die was ground to repair the clash, and while repairing the die the just didn't notice the doubled die. In any case is it normal for dies to wear, and stuff like this happens. One Mercury Dime I know quite a bit about is the 1936-S FS-110. I have seen earlier die examples which show more details. Then there are some where the markings have become less and less. This gets to a point on late die state coins which the markings around the date are gone completely. These examples have a die scratch on the reverse which is not on the earlier die strike examples. What can't be known is if a worker found the marking and repaired the die, or if the natural die usage removed the markings.

I know the show I setup at today had a couple of people looking for the 1919 DDO. Neither stopped back to report, so I am pretty sure they didn't find anything. Once this is publicized it should be fun to see how many are found. >>

As I mentioned in a subsequent posting, the doubled dot is there on the higher grade coin. Bill Fivaz took a full obverse shot of the coin that clearly showed it. The apparent absence of it on the closeup he did of it must have been a fluke of the lighting.

TD
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How in the hell does that not get noticed for nearly 100 years? >>

Ain't this hobby great?
    I have one "Major Variety and Oddity Guide of United States Coins" by Frank Spadone - the 4th edition from 1967.

For 1919 Mercury Dimes - he just lists: "micro double date & part dble. LIBERTY"

Obviously this DDO has nothing to do with LIBERTY, or even the date, but the "part dble" has me wondering.

Does anyone have any other Spadone versions or earlier "Oddity" type references that MIGHT have some sort of mention of this DDO?

I have some. Let me see if I can find 'em. Most of Spadone's "Micro shift" etc was machine doubling.
    I found one from 1963, 3rd ed. Same description-almost certainly machine doubling on a series known for strong machine doubling. I have other editions including one from the '80s-I just have to find 'em.

<< <i>I have some. Let me see if I can find 'em. Most of Spadone's "Micro shift" etc was machine doubling. >>

Yea, I inquired about Spadone a few years ago, I think the consensus of the replies was most of his work was um... Crap, but... I'm still curious if there was ever any mention of this in some sort of reference, even his.

Not everything in Spadone was crap-I sure wish I had paid more attention to the 1916 "doubled date" nickel listed in his reference.

A good legitimate place to look for any mention would be the "Numismatic Scrapbook" magazine, specifically in the "Circulation Finds" column. Many significant doubled dies were first reported there, including that 1916 nickel. Might be kind of difficult to filter the 1919 dime, tho.
    Coin World just added a small story to their website - let the wide-spread searching begin!

http://www.coinworld.com/news/new-doubled-die-obverse-found-on-1919-dime.html

• bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    This is the VERY reason I search!!!!! Even after 96 years a major variety is found!! I am jealous it was not me but there are probably others. Most not as dramatic as this coin but none the less still out there!!!! I want to find 1 roll of 1958 ddo lincolns though! LOL

CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭
    I looked thru all of the '19 Dimes I could find in my collection last night and this morning, probably 40 coins. Nada.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    I went out looking today-looked at 13 1919 dimes without any luck. As I said before-I think it will turn ot to be quite rare. But I DID find two Mint state 1943 double eye nickels so my efforts weren't totally in vain.

<< <i>I went out looking today-looked at 13 1919 dimes without any luck. As I said before-I think it will turn ot to be quite rare. But I DID find two Mint state 1943 double eye nickels so my efforts weren't totally in vain. >>

I'm surprised anyone has 13 of them in one place lol. I need to get my oldest son's whitman album to check, but I'm out of stuff to look at.

What's funny is on eBay, a few weeks ago, if you're viewing recently listed used to be 1/2/3 etc "views per hour", today it's been 8/9/10 etc. Definitely more folks looking.

Your eyes look like this?

Mine are nice EDS coins with a clearer double eye than that and nice super clear Class I doubling on the lettering.
    Coin World's full article is now online:

http://www.coinworld.com/insights/1919-winged-liberty-head-dime-has-doubled-die-obverse.html#

They put a teaser story out a few days ago, and I saw one person say they found one on Facebook, but the post was removed, not sure if they were kidding, or they got tired of the bombardment of "Sell it to me" posts, but I still don't know of a 3rd piece being discovered yet.

Hopefully the print article will uncover some more.

Jeff

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>According to DeLorey, the dime was “dismissed by one forum member as displaying simple mechanical doubling, and by another as being a counterfeit coin. Nobody acknowledged it as a doubled die error.” >>

You wound me, sir.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    I just bought a 1919 dime sight unseen on Ebay. Hopefully it will arrive in a few days and I could get lucky!!! LOL I could then see pigs fly too!!!!! LOL

<< <i>

<< <i>According to DeLorey, the dime was “dismissed by one forum member as displaying simple mechanical doubling, and by another as being a counterfeit coin. Nobody acknowledged it as a doubled die error.” >>

You wound me, sir.

Sean Reynolds >>

LOL, poor Sean - Hey, at least you get to share in the 15 minutes of fame 8-)
    Although, for being a fake coin, you sure were quick to scour eBay hehe

<< <i>

<< <i>

You wound me, sir.

Sean Reynolds >>

LOL, poor Sean - Hey, at least you get to share in the 15 minutes of fame 8-)
    Although, for being a fake coin, you sure were quick to scour eBay hehe >>

To be fair, I did call it a real doubled die, I just said it was on a counterfeit coin. This is why Tom worked for ANACS and gets quoted in Coin World, while I just spout off on the internet. image

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    My previous post is not there. So if this a repeat sorry. I just bought a 1919 dime on Ebay sight unseen. Maybe Ill get lucky!!!! lol
    Another weekend with no reports?
    If few or none turn up after that big front page "Coin World" article I think that may tell us something.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another weekend with no reports? >>

I didn't go to a show. image I certainly won't be able to find one if I'm not looking. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>Another weekend with no reports? >>

I had planned to go to a show this morning but my kids gifted me with a nasty cold instead. I have one coin coming from eBay that had a terrible but somewhat interesting photo, I'm not holding out a lot of hope that it's the DDO but it's the closest thing I've seen on eBay so far.

Sean Reynolds

The weather here in Ohio has kept me from really getting out and looking for the coin to the degree I normally would in the Cleveland-Akron-Canton area. I've looked at a total of 15 1919 dimes-certainly not a large enough number to draw any conclusions from but none seem to be turning up anywhere.
    There are threads on: PCGS, NGC, Coin Talk, and Coin Community - and nobody has reported a #3.

There have been no comments on Coin World's Facebook nor webpage showing #3 either. Perhaps someone has contacted Mr. Gibbs from Coin World.

I kind of expected customers would not have much luck this weekend though - with the article hitting, I figured dealers would pull their 1919/Merc offerings behind the table until they could look at them themselves.

Not sure what the % of Coin World subscribers read or post on the 4 message boards above, so maybe someone has come across one, and just doesn't have a public presence to let us know.

Any left to be discovered are certainly hiding real well right now.

I wonder how many more have been looked at on ebay and other online places.

<< <i>I wonder how many more have been looked at on ebay and other online places. >>

I am not exaggerating even a little when I say I have looked at every eBay auction for a 1919 dime since the firs pics of the discovery coin were posted here. If one ever shows up there I plan to be the guy that finds it.

Sean Reynolds

• DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I went to the monthly Parsippany, NJ show today and was surprised to see only a few 1919 Mercury dimes - no doubled dies.

(Why is it that there are hundreds of Merc available - until you're actually looking for one!)

I spoke to a couple of dealers who had Mercuries - neither had heard of the doubled die discovery.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder how many more have been looked at on ebay and other online places. >>

I am not exaggerating even a little when I say I have looked at every eBay auction for a 1919 dime since the firs pics of the discovery coin were posted here. If one ever shows up there I plan to be the guy that finds it.

Sean Reynolds >>

As have I. I would think that the number in my case has to be approaching 100. I think I'll start keeping track.

<< <i>

Sean Reynolds >>

I look several times a day, several days a week, but miss a lot. I look at the sold ones too with a BIN hoping to see someone get one. Looking at prices, it's a good time to sell 1919s with an unclear photo and a BIN. I think a lot of folks are taking shots in the dark.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my grand daughter pick up all they had (5 or 6) at a coin shop in NC.... she will be sending them to me... will post when I get them. Cheers, RickO
    My ebay package is in Dallas. I should get it by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. Here si a link to my ebay auction. The picture is of another auction he had for those pictured coins so I took a chance with sight unseen. It is better then playing the lottery!!!!! lol
    As rare as these appear to be, buying 1919 dimes at random is quite the long shot.
    With 2,00 eyes searching Ebay for this DDO, if any might look like it could be will be snatched up. So the long shot sometimes pays off. I have in the past bought a 1939 JEFFERSON 5 cent with just the obverse pic and it was the DDO in AU condition! Paid $3 and sold it for $200 about 14 years ago.

<< <i>As rare as these appear to be, buying 1919 dimes at random is quite the long shot. >>

Yea, but a fun long shot.

If I had an outlet to sell Mercury Dimes even close to what APMEX is selling $100 face bags of Mercs ($1,397.11) as I type this - I would buy a few bags.

But.. I'd lose about $250 a bag selling them back at spot - and that's a lot of dimes to sell at coin club 8-)

Yes it was a long shot and it still is. The coin from Ebay was VF but not the DDO!
    Won't somebody please find another one this weekend???
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looked through MANY, MANY, MANY........ Merc's today at the Chattanooga show. Bags and Bags

Maybe 20 1919's and 15 or so 1916's,,,, total strike out.............

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file