Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I find this coin incredibly interesting. Can't wait to find out what comes of it. Great stuff and it's what makes coins so much fun.
    GMan
  • bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Looks very promising to me too. Funny, I started a few weeks ago to start looking at all the Mercs I could find for varieties. Just found one RPM. Also most of the 1919's may have been thrown into the melting pot over the years!
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • I think there is a large chance this is shelf doubling, with crud that had accumulated in the shelf giving the appearance of delineation.
  • fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first feeling is also strike doubling with dirt making it look more like a true double die. This series has some really dramatic strike doubling.
    No way this would have been not located for so many years.
    Here is a pic of strike doubling, not as extreme but has a few of the same characteristics.

• Holy cow!
    If that is not a doubled die I don't know what is.

Crazy doubling.

I think you have a 5 digit value coin here. I really do.
    I have plans....sometimes
  • bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    After looking at the coin pics again, I see where it might be strike doubling with dirt making it look like separation.
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!

• << <i>After looking at the coin pics again, I see where it might be strike doubling with dirt making it look like separation. >>

I just don't see it. I think when we all seen a coin like this we all get a certain level of "no way it is real" in our heads but this looks like a ddo to me.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first posted this coin in the bigger box of oddity thread, I did say I've seen some crazy Machine Doubling on Mercs (and almost linked to the last few crazy date MD posts on these boards).

I even put in the first post about it that I suspected it was Machine Doubling, although it looked a bit extreme to me.

It is grubby for sure - also being a metal detectorist, I almost did the boiling peroxide trick on it and let it sit in that for awhile to get rid of most of that - as let's face it, validated or not, a VG/F Merc isn't going to have the value in its condition, but decided to just not touch it until we know what exactly it is.

It's off to Bill Fivaz right now, he should get it tomorrow. Hopefully we know more sometime this week.

I suspect at some point, an acetone bath will be in order to further the study, but I'll leave that up to Bill, or whomever he sends it off to next.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I'm on the edge of my seat until you post the results.
    Dan
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Great find image

<< <i>I'm on the edge of my seat until you post the results. >>

Thank you (and everyone else), I'm on the edge myself.

The coin is off to Bill Fivaz, seems like the opinions have slowed down, some for some against DDO.

So... while I and others wait for the experts opinion, let's play hypothetical for a minute to pass the time.

What is Greysheet bid/ask for rolls of circulated/uncirculated 1919 Mercs right now? I see lots of rolls and small batches on eBay past and present - let's pretend Bill Fivaz assigns it a CPG # or CONECA gives it the designation DDO-001.

What do you think will happen to the prices of "Unsearched" rolls? 8-)

Once news gets out and tons of folks go through their inventories, and they start coming out of the woodwork, where to you think these will fall price-wise compared to some contemporary Doubled Dies?

What do you think the "Top Pop" will be after a year or two - MS64, 65, 66, other?

Again, we're playing hypothetical here for fun if it gets the green light - I've only been around for modern Doubled Dies, never watched a new older date discovery and the aftermath... any predictions.

• << <i>

<< <i>I'm on the edge of my seat until you post the results. >>

Thank you (and everyone else), I'm on the edge myself.

The coin is off to Bill Fivaz, seems like the opinions have slowed down, some for some against DDO.

So... while I and others wait for the experts opinion, let's play hypothetical for a minute to pass the time.

What is Greysheet bid/ask for rolls of circulated/uncirculated 1919 Mercs right now? I see lots of rolls and small batches on eBay past and present - let's pretend Bill Fivaz assigns it a CPG # or CONECA gives it the designation DDO-001.

What do you think will happen to the prices of "Unsearched" rolls? 8-)

Once news gets out and tons of folks go through their inventories, and they start coming out of the woodwork, where to you think these will fall price-wise compared to some contemporary Doubled Dies?

What do you think the "Top Pop" will be after a year or two - MS64, 65, 66, other?

Again, we're playing hypothetical here for fun if it gets the green light - I've only been around for modern Doubled Dies, never watched a new older date discovery and the aftermath... any predictions. >>

I think this is a ddo and if it is I would not expect many more to come out. There are unique doubled dies out there and this an almost 100 years old coin. It is not like many more are suddenly going to come forward.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's strike doubling it's unlike any I've seen before and I've seen plenty. The most convincing thing I've seen is the "N" and the dot next to it and the "R."
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    Cool find. It would be wonderful if someone finds a second example!
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If that's strike doubling it's unlike any I've seen before and I've seen plenty. The most convincing thing I've seen is the "N" and the dot next to it and the "R." >>

Add to those the bottom of the last T in TRUST and the bottom right side of the G in GOD. Unquestionable notching that is the hallmark of a true doubled die.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    Yes-the notching is quite evident too. Like many, tho, i can't figure out how this has evaded detection for so many years. It's not just in the realm of variety people, either. Anyone putting a low power glass to the obverse of this coin just to grade it would have noticed the doubling right away.

<< <i>Yes-the notching is quite evident too. Like many, tho, i can't figure out how this has evaded detection for so many years. It's not just in the realm of variety people, either. Anyone putting a low power glass to the obverse of this coin just to grade it would have noticed the doubling right away. >>

True, I'm sure it's been noticed - heck even this one had "1919 - in God we trust doubling???" Written on the 2x2 although it was probably written in the late 80's. Different time back then.

35,740,000 minted for 1919-Philadelphia
    As has been suggested, how many do you think we're melted?
    How many survived in ms?
    It isn't a high value year, with less than 1,000 certified in all grades combined NGC/PCGS
    I can't tell you the last time I looked at a 1919, perhaps putting my whitmans together as a kid. I suspect there are a ton in 90% silver bags, and not a lot roaming around at shows in cases being looked at over and over.

But... Seeing as my coin grading around fine still is plain as day, I am fairly confident that if this is validated, once word spreads, more will be found. I think we will all be amazed what you can find if you know what to look for that was previously overlooked.

I was into varieties in the late '80s. I think someone would have reported a coin with this wide of a spread to CONE, NECA, or CONECA at some point. Doubled dies weren't the "oddities" they were considered to be in the '60s-70s and earlier by the late '80s.
    To add to my posting above-the only reason I can think of that it wasn't reported would be extreme rarity. And, admittedly the late '80s were much different than today but not so different that this doubled die wouldn't have been recognized for what it is.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A second specimen, in higher grade, has been reliably reported by someone I know personally. It is on its way to Bill Fivaz for confirmation.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

<< <i>A second specimen, in higher grade, has been reliably reported by someone I know personally. It is on its way to Bill Fivaz for confirmation.

TD >>

Phew, don't have to keep that secret any more image. Like I said, pretty sure once word spreads, and you are looking for a specific thing, more will surface. They have been hiding in plain sight.

I can't wait to see what an uncirculated one of these looks like.

Going to be an exciting week for sure.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to chime in with a good luck and a thank you.
    This is a great thread. Enjoying every minute of it.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

A second specimen? That's great news!

<< <i>A second specimen, in higher grade, has been reliably reported by someone I know personally. It is on its way to Bill Fivaz for confirmation.

TD >>

That is exciting! Can't wait to see it.
    GMan
  • bjaminbjamin Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A second specimen? That's great news! >>

imageimageimage
    Roger Burdette was kind enough to forward me the 1920 Annual Report showing die usage for 1919.

For Mercury Dimes:

Philadelphia:
    521 Obverse dies were used averaging 71,050 pieces struck per die (37,017,050)
    343 Reverse dies were used averaging 107,921 pieces struck per die (37,016,903)

Kind of funny as the reported production is 35,740,000 in publications today. (Although the report is Calendar Year 1919, so maybe there was overlap of 1918/1920 dated coins)

So... what does this prove? Well... nothing. Just throwing numbers out there. If only one obverse working die was doubled, and assuming it was used for an average lifespan, AVERAGES say there could have been around 71,000 pieces struck or roughly .002% of production. Curious how those numbers stack up against other Doubled Dies.

We don't know if the die in question had a full average life, if it was pulled from production early if the doubling was discovered while still in use, etc.

It will be interesting as more of these are discovered, and the die state markers start to be unveiled how the experts determine estimated usage based on that, maybe if there were more than one reverse die used and those die states as well, etc. I always found that part of numismatics quite interesting as well.

Just interesting information is all, take what you will from it.

• GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>AVERAGES say there could have been around 71,000 pieces struck or roughly .002% of production. >>

It would be .19% of production, or 1 in every 521 coins. image
    Ed

<< <i>

<< <i>AVERAGES say there could have been around 71,000 pieces struck or roughly .002% of production. >>

It would be .19% of production, or 1 in every 521 coins. image >>

Ugh - I got A's in every class in HS/College - EXCEPT math.

I took 71,000 divided it by 35,740,000 and came up with 0.0019865696698377 - so went with .002

Did I do this wrong? 1 in 5 is 20%, 1 in 500 would be .002?

As my stepdaughter says: "Nobody told me there would be math!"

You moved the decimal point too far.

1 in 5 is 20%, or 0.20

1 in 50 is 2.0%, or 0.020

1 in 500 is 0.2%, or 0.0020

But as you say those are only average die lifes. A die can crack on its first strike, or in the case of a doubled die be pulled as soon as the doubling is noticed.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did I do this wrong? 1 in 5 is 20%, 1 in 500 would be .002? >>

1 in 5 = 20% (.2)
    1 in 50 = 2% (.02)
    1 in 500 =.2% (.002)

Ed
    Ooh yes -numbers were right, incorrectly (not at all) adjusted when adding the % sign though.

Somewhere, my 4th grade math teacher is rolling over in his grave - RIP Mr. Lafon - you were right, I'd never get it.

Bill should have the coin in a few hours, and I'm not sure when that 2nd example will get to him, but I'm so hoping for good news this week.

<< <i>

TD >>

Phew, don't have to keep that secret any more image. Like I said, pretty sure once word spreads, and you are looking for a specific thing, more will surface. They have been hiding in plain sight.

Going to be an exciting week for sure. >>

That is fantastic news, the only part I don't like about it is that I wasn't the one to find it. I mentioned earlier in the thread, the night this post gathered steam I checked every eBay auction I could find for a 1919 dime dating back to January 1. Many of them had lousy pictures, but I did not find anything resembling the OP's coin. News of a second specimen so quickly on the heels of the first is great news for both the discovery coin and for collectors who want to go out and find an example of their own.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

<< <i>

<< <i>

TD >>

Going to be an exciting week for sure. >>

That is fantastic news, the only part I don't like about it is that I wasn't the one to find it. I mentioned earlier in the thread, the night this post gathered steam I checked every eBay auction I could find for a 1919 dime dating back to January 1. Many of them had lousy pictures, but I did not find anything resembling the OP's coin. News of a second specimen so quickly on the heels of the first is great news for both the disco very coin and for collectors who want to go out and find an example of their own.

Sean Reynolds >>

I knew you mentioned you looked at all the eBay auctions - but what surprised me is there are still rolls and groupings of 1919 Mercs with BINs available - I kind of figured someone from the boards would buy every single one of them (I have no stake in any of them FYI).

I think TD said he sent notice out to a dealer network for folks to do inventory checks, and the 2nd example was found as a result.

Very exciting for sure. I've been watching my online tracking of the package to Bill Fivaz that was supposed to be there about 5 minutes ago, but status just changed to:

Updated Delivery Day: Thursday, February 12, 2015
    Scheduled Delivery Day: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 12:00 pm
    Money Back Guarantee

So not sure if he'll get it today or not 8-(

Patience........
  • BodinBodin Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Patience........ >>

2 THINGS that I have no patience for:
    1. My grades not being posted 1 day after the coins are received(even though the current turnaround is 25 business days)
    2. UPDATES ON THIS THREAD!!!!
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

TD >>

Wonderful news.
    Now is the time to cherrypick these.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

<< <i>

1. My grades not being posted 1 day after the coins are received(even though the current turnaround is 25 business days)
    2. UPDATES ON THIS THREAD!!!! >>

Just imagine how I feel! 8-)

I mailed the coin to Bill Fivaz Tuesday overnight, shows delivered yesterday. The 2nd specimen I would assume should get to him today or tomorrow.

I think we're all just waiting for him to examine and photograph it/them, ensure they're the same. If Bill deems them as many think they are, then I would think it/they will get sent off to a CONECA rep after for their thing.

Kind of in a wait and see period here. If it all checks out, would be great to get a FS# for it, a CONECA number for it, etc. After that, about all that's left for me that I would like is getting my coin sent to ANACS and somehow labeled as the discovery coin (and probably Fine details since it has some damage on the reverse, and a little on the obv).

Would be cool to have the CONECA DDO-001 - Reported by: me but we still need need a few processes and confirmations to happen.

For those who were in the military, we're in the "Hurry up and wait" mode 8-)

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

2. UPDATES ON THIS THREAD!!!! >>

Just imagine how I feel! 8-)

I mailed the coin to Bill Fivaz Tuesday overnight, shows delivered yesterday. The 2nd specimen I would assume should get to him today or tomorrow.

I think we're all just waiting for him to examine and photograph it/them, ensure they're the same. If Bill deems them as many think they are, then I would think it/they will get sent off to a CONECA rep after for their thing.

Kind of in a wait and see period here. If it all checks out, would be great to get a FS# for it, a CONECA number for it, etc. After that, about all that's left for me that I would like is getting my coin sent to ANACS and somehow labeled as the discovery coin (and probably Fine details since it has some damage on the reverse, and a little on the obv).

Would be cool to have the CONECA DDO-001 - Reported by: me but we still need need a few processes and confirmations to happen.

For those who were in the military, we're in the "Hurry up and wait" mode 8-) >>

Include copies of any documentation (letters from Fivaz, Wiles) with your ANACS submission. In the 'variety' column on the form, write the new FS and CONECA numbers and 'DISCOVERY SPECIMEN'. It also wouldn't hurt to write 'LABEL AS DISCOVERY SPECIMEN' in big letters in the empty area of the form.- this will all ensure your coin is labeled as such.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
    Folks - check your 1919-P Mercs, just got official word - After hiding in plain sight for 96 years...

Confirmed 1919-P DDO

Still waiting on official FS/CONECA numbering, but will likely be in the next CPG among other places.

I'm sure there will be official photos (especially when the XF/AU specimen is photographed) and announcements in the coming weeks (My coin will be off for a Coin World glamor shot soon).

Talk about an exciting few days, thanks for sharing the ride with me.

Jeff

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Nutz, I don't even have one 1919 dime to check. image
    Very cool! Except I don't have any 1919 Mercs image

Can't wait to see pics of the higher grade specimen.
    GMan
    Yep! Bill Fivaz has seen the piece and confirmed it as a DDO!

<< <i>Nutz, I don't even have one 1919 dime to check. image >>

I bought a circulated roll off eBay yesterday, so pretty soon I'll have 50 of them to check. image

Sean Reynolds

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is cool! I checked my 20 or so and nothing. It will be interesting to see what value this adds down the road.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, STRIKEOUTXXX. That is very significant find. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is easily worth a YOU SUCK!!!!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
    We have a motion for a YOU SUCK Award. I second the motion. All in favor say aye!
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aye
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file