Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

>>> The Official SILVER 50th Kennedy Thread <<<

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    As far as I can see this whole 2014 Kennedy thing has been a disaster from day one. The mint may have shipped the silver ones this time the way they should have but have lost a lot of their customers along the way. I said it before and will say again, I am done with them. These graded silver coins will be plentiful on ebay and will be available cheaper than from the mint raw so be patient folks before buying from the mint.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Surprised the big Modern coin dealers did not have graded coins already have the coins on the Ebay
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed the boat, but still paddling in the ____
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

As far as I can see this whole 2014 Kennedy thing has been a disaster from day one. The mint may have shipped the silver ones this time the way they should have but have lost a lot of their customers along the way. I said it before and will say again, I am done with them. These graded silver coins will be plentiful on ebay and will be available cheaper than from the mint raw so be patient folks before buying from the mint.

I am thinking $229 for a complete graded 70 set hopefully, still leaves some profit margin for the dealers. Maybe dealers are being cautious about this set. I am in no rush for a 70 set and its not a must for my collection. Silver is closing on $16 an ounce which leaves less than $32 in silver in this set also.
  • Options
    There are several dealers willing to pay a $75 profit on the BST right now. That is not a complete disaster at least for now. Take the $75, ( probably $60 after shipping) take your wife to dinner or get a set for a discount.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered on the 28th and it shipped the next day...good service.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Any official numbers on how many of these sold at this point? Saw first day numbers but nothing since.
  • Options

<< <i>There are several dealers willing to pay a $75 profit on the BST right now. That is not a complete disaster at least for now. Take the $75, ( probably $60 after shipping) take your wife to dinner or get a set for a discount. >>

Better grab the money while its still available as the price is going to drop quickly.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    $29.61 to ship 5 sets in the original package from GA to CA, Priority Mail w/ $450 insurance, 6 lbs.

These won't fit in a Flat Rate Box. Anybody come up with some way to ship cheaper?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since no cut off date for first strike has been announced why not just send the capsules? Your well within FS time frame. It was posted that all that is required for the 4 coin set are the capsules, not the whole thing like the 2 coin set. The capsules for 5 sets would fit in a flat pack.

• Options

<< <i>Since no cut off date for first strike has been announced why not just send the capsules? It was posted that they are all that is required for the 4 coin set, not the whole thing like the 2 coin set. The capsules for 5 sets would fit in a flat pack. >>

Dealers want sealed mint boxes, ie not cherry picked possibly
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Since no cut off date for first strike has been announced why not just send the capsules? It was posted that they are all that is required for the 4 coin set, not the whole thing like the 2 coin set. The capsules for 5 sets would fit in a flat pack. >>

Dealers want sealed mint boxes, ie not cherry picked possibly >>

I assumed the poster was referring to the coins being sent to PCGS and not a dealer. 5 sealed sets might not be sent via Priority Mail for the price quoted. I assumed, again, that the mint packaging was removed from the shipping box and repackaged into a Priority Mail box, from the posters description.

• Options
    No, these were sent to a dealer in the original Mint shipping box. Just pulled their label off and stuck my printed label on.
  • Options

<< <i>No, these were sent to a dealer in the original Mint shipping box. Just pulled their label off and stuck my printed label on. >>

Ah. My mistake. Apologies.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No, these were sent to a dealer in the original Mint shipping box. Just pulled their label off and stuck my printed label on. >>

Ah. My mistake. Apologies. >>

No prob. If you take them out of the Mint's shipping box (which is 10" X 7" X 6.5") and weighs 6lbs, you may be able to shimmy them in a Medium Flat Rate box. I know you can more than likely get them in a Large Flat Rate Box and save about $3.50.

$21.61- Cost of Priority Mail using 6 lbs and package dmentions.
    $8.00- $450 Insurance ($50 insurance free for using priority mail)

I think the Large Flat Rate boxes cost $17.90 to ship plus other services.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    These will be toast by Monday. Saw a low today for 1 set on Ebay, sale on bids at 119.00, seller nets...even with a store maybe $4.00 pre tax. With $2.99 maybe gets a Whopper Jr. and a Coke.

I'd still think split sales of singles may work better during this slaughter.

It'd be tight as the sets are so cheap to begin with but it'd be interesting to see somebody do it.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$29.61 to ship 5 sets in the original package from GA to CA, Priority Mail w/ $450 insurance, 6 lbs.

These won't fit in a Flat Rate Box. Anybody come up with some way to ship cheaper? >>

Yikes. Just weighed mine and it's 6 pounds. Not really worth the trouble If the recipient is going to submit them, why couldn't you fit just the 5 cards with the coins into a small flat rate box? Even then you're looking at $13 insured shipping.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Bought 2 sets, received them yesterday, sent 1 set to PCGS today. Both sets are for my collection, no flipping. I think this set is pretty cool...probably not an investment, just pure coin collecting enjoyment.

Kudos to the Mint. This has been the least stressful addition to my collection from the Mint in quite a while.
  • Options
    This is not a flip-able set for sure as there is just not enough money in it to make it worthwhile.

I have been flipping coins for years but would not touch this one in a hundred years.

You are doing the right thing in buying for your collection.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pitboss ... (per your posting at the top of the page) ... Agree that there is nothing wrong with making an easy $75 minus shipping for five sets (which is what I am paying). That is nearly a 15% return on your money net including points on your credit card?

Wondercoin

edited to add ... I believe this one just sold well below cost (net to seller)

ebay # 291282391566
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Unless you want them for your collection these will be a huge dog on the market and if you are sending them in for grading please don't expect to get all your money back.
  • Options
    They are an attractive set and I've blown a hundred bucks before and got much less for my money.
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with owning however many of the sets you desire as I am sure they are nice.

What I am saying is anybody looking to make a profit by selling some had better act quick because there are just more of them that will be for sale then there are buyers.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received my set today, and while they're not all perfect coins, they're decent, and I'll hang onto them. They're not easy to get out of the packaging so you can see the reverses. I used a letter opener to pry them out so I could photograph them. I know there are better photographers here, but I haven't seen any large photos of the coins posted yet.

First, the reverse proof.
    imageimage

Next, the regular proof. Sorry for the dust (some of it is inside the capsule).
    imageimage

The enhanced uncirculated (my favorite of the group).
    imageimage

Finally, the regular uncirculated.
    imageimage

Not a bad set, but grossly overpriced, IMO. Silver content at today's price is worth about $24.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins do look very nice. I plan to buy a couple at some point, likely on the secondary market.

$75 profit for five sets is a nice little spread for those wanting to sell those. It almost seems like pitboss needs to keep reminding himself it's ok he didn't buy any, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, my favorite was the proof.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    The enhanced unc looks more like an enhanced proof than unc. but it does look cool...
  • Options

<< <i>The coins do look very nice. I plan to buy a couple at some point, likely on the secondary market.

$75 profit for five sets is a nice little spread for those wanting to sell those. It almost seems like pitboss needs to keep reminding himself it's ok he didn't buy any, LOL.. >>

I am fine with it. $15 a set is not a lot of money in my book.
  • Options
    I wonder if these will develop spots like the ASEs.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The coins do look very nice. I plan to buy a couple at some point, likely on the secondary market.

$75 profit for five sets is a nice little spread for those wanting to sell those. It almost seems like pitboss needs to keep reminding himself it's ok he didn't buy any, LOL.. >>

I am fine with it. $15 a set is not a lot of money in my book. >>

I'm not much with math, but it seems to me Profit is calculated after all costs are considered so it's 99.99 X 5 + shipping so initial cost is $504.90, Now add cost to ship to dealer figure $20 conservative with insurance. So total cost is $524.90 returns a check for $575. So that's maybe 50 bucks less tax and you may end up with $40 net profit.

It is nonetheless a profit but more like 8% so let's not call it 15% when it's not.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casman. More like 12% minimum really. Figure 2% value to credit card points and back out your tax calculations because this is likely one of the few gains collectors can enjoy this year on their silver buys that can offset likely losses in the precious metals segment throughout the year. But, either way, let's at least call it pretax profit of 12% minimum. And, if someone could actually hand me (or any other party they are selling to at $115/set) their sealed box in person, the pretax profit then jumps by my calculations to roughly 16% including the value of credit card points. And, that is not 16% per annum- that is 16% or 12% or whatever the number is in a matter of weeks. Multiply by maybe 20x to calculate annual percentage return image

But, on the other hand, it is not clear just how long $115/set will be available. I am almost full personally and if the Mint raises the household limit (just painting the worst picture for me as a buyer) the sets could settle in at $100 flat for a while.

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Grading them unless you get 70's will be a disaster in my opinion and will not warrant the fees you have to pay to cover the 68's and 69's you will get.
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if these will develop spots like the ASEs. >>

Most likely.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Just got my set this morning. Opened it up and found the proof coin with a brown stain behind the ear and a stripped enhanced uncirculated

Will post pics after I finish filling out the return label
    I knew it was a set up after my order went smoothly ☔️
  • Options
    Coin World is reporting sales by 11:40 Oct 30 were 112,049

• Options
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They are an attractive set and I've blown a hundred bucks before and got much less for my money. >>

The reverse proof is pretty ..will rival the Silver Eagle reverse proofs

• Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    It seems the occurrence of problems on the coins will enhance the value of unopened sets
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pic of my turn at the US Mint short end of the straw lottery

[URL=http://s85.photobucket.com/user/makin04/media/imagejpg3-3.jpg.html]image[/URL][URL=http://s85.photobucket.com/user/makin04/media/imagejpg6.jpg.html]image[/URL] >>

I just received my two sets and the enhanced finish coins have the same striations. Very distracting.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    US Mint Kennedy set good news and bad news -

good news - We Ship fast!

bad news - We ship anything fast!
  • Options
    The quality so far seems better than the silver proof sets. Unfortunately still not as good as how they handle gold.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    That's probably the fourth pic I've seen of the enhanced with the lines across it.

Someone, somewhere. somehow, at the mint said "Ship it!"

Hard to believe that the mint would market that. MHO.

Coin news media should ask about the quality standards the mint used for the Kennedy set.

The closer to shipping time, the better it looks.
  • Options
    I bought 5 sets, received them on Thursday. 2 of the regular proofs were not real good. 1 hasd 2 small milk spots and the other had 2 small gouges in it. The rest were fine. 1 "P" coin had scratches. The rest were great. The reverse proofs were all very nice. The regular proofs I think are going to be the weak link in this set on quality.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    I thought they were paying $175 per set.....i wouldn't waste my time with someone offering me $15 more per set, plus me having to pay shipping....lol no way

• Options

<< <i>I thought they were paying $175 per set.....i wouldn't waste my time with someone offering me $15 more per set, plus me having to pay shipping....lol no way >>

A local sold 3 groups of 5 sets at $625 per on the dealer to dealer exchange. Apparently one buyer wanted 1,000 sets and must have filled fairly quickly.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    [/URL][URL=http://s85.photobucket.com/user/makin04/media/imagejpg6.jpg.html]image

This is the sandpaper enhanced proof variety.
  • Options
    Enhanced uncirculated

Some will come with stripes unfortunately

It's something to do with their new frosting technique.

One would think they would have enough pride to rid themselves of it already. Guess we need to complain, waa-waa.

• Options
    I am sick of complaining to the mint.

They do just as they please and to hell with their captive audience.

I will buy from ebay all the 70's I want and not deal with all the junk that the mint sends out.

You might say I have learned my lesson.

They have killed the flipping for now and think they have solved their problems with the ordering so now can unload all their junk by clipping the suckers by making returns hard to get.

Good luck guys!
  • Options
    Received two sets yesterday and will keep sealed. I will open my third set.

Now it seems you can not tell which items at the mint will go off sale (red date) at the mint with the new website. With the old website you could.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file