Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

>>> The Official SILVER 50th Kennedy Thread <<<

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine also has no lines. I'd be interested to know the percentage of line vs no lines. Which is more common. Will PCGS consider lines vs no lines in assigning a grade? I asked CS and she said she would ask the graders.

• Options
    Imy order for 5 sets came from UPS with box half-opened. Nothing was missing but I did not want to take a chance trying to sell as sealed and somebody then returning it. So I opened it with the goal to keep 2 sets and return 3. I could hardly make 2 problem-free sets to my taste. 3 reverse proofs had "milk" spots, 4 regular uncirculated had some dings and marks, all enhanced uncirculated had some hairlines. I think the winners were the proofs with least of problems. All in all I think I've got one problem-free set and the second somewhat OK. The other 3 went back. I'll keep them ungraded - knowing my luck I will not break even even on 2 sets, not worth the hassle.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Don't some go gaga over wood grained toning? Is this streaking anything close to that?

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    So you sell a sealed box of 5 sets on the Bay and the seller wants a refund because there were only 3 sets inside.....

I wonder who the Bay would side with? (joke question)

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    Sent my single set back as I did not like the streaky enhanced and my reverse proof had a lot of debri inside the capsule - black and red specs and a piece of green thread. Will likely wait for eBay fire sale prices in a few months and pick up a 70 RP.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    So you sell a sealed box of 5 sets on the Bay and the seller wants a refund because there were only 3 sets inside.....

As previously mentioned, the new shipping company messed up my order and replaced one of my items with an item I purchased months ago. It wasn't a haphazard mistake since the order is in their system of an item I purchased previously. Probably a glitch in their computer program.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's an ebay NGC 2014-S Silver Enhanced Unc Kennedy Half NGC SP70 that clearly shows the lines, especially on mouse-over -

Text

So, I dunno, maybe that's just the way it is? The lines do not bother NGC, it's a 70. Myself, I think the lines are a showstopper. I think Ricko posted somewhere that his coin was normal, without lines. >>

Since when does NGC ever grade with quality in mind. I go back to the 04 Wisc ex leaf quarters as an example. They graded many as MS 68 which did not even qualify as 64's IMO and it has not improved much from there.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So you sell a sealed box of 5 sets on the Bay and the seller wants a refund because there were only 3 sets inside.....

I wonder who the Bay would side with? (joke question) >>

The buyer would want the refund, no? eBaaaayyyy would side with the buyer no matter how many disclaimers you had. Just ask board member nolawyer.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just received my set and after reading some posts here I was bit apprehensive as I opened it to inspect.

No worries they appear virtually flawless with none of the various defects noted in this thread.

A very beautiful set with the enhanced uncirculated standing out especially.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they could cure the stripes the EU >> Unc finish.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So you sell a sealed box of 5 sets on the Bay and the seller wants a refund because there were only 3 sets inside.....

I wonder who the Bay would side with? (joke question) >>

The buyer would want the refund, no? eBaaaayyyy would side with the buyer no matter how many disclaimers you had. Just ask board member nolawyer. >>

Exactly! So why keep a sealed box? If you are going to grade them just do it...if you are going to sell the box sealed then good luck with that.

<< <i>A very beautiful set with the enhanced uncirculated standing out especially. >>

Yikes...those were the horrors in my 10 sets....the RP's and unc's were the best by far
  • Options
    No one has their NGC grades back yet?
  • Options
    The sets have only been in collectors hands for around a week....kinda quick to get grades BACK already. Unless you are a biggie.....
  • Options
    First Population Reports For The Silver Kennedy 4 Coin Set
    First Strike cut off date should be forth coming at any time.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    The buyer would want the refund, no? eBaaaayyyy would side with the buyer no matter how many disclaimers you had. Just ask board member nolawyer. >>

Exactly! So why keep a sealed box? If you are going to grade them just do it...if you are going to sell the box sealed then good luck with that.

>>

Well, I guess it's the gamble that there might be something good inside. Then again one should know what one is buying and the consequences of same.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The enhanced coins in my 3 sets have all diagonal lines on JFK's face.

Do I have to pay shipping to return them to the US Mint? >>

Yes and if you want to track the package, it will cost you almost 20 dollars using Priority Mail and the box it came in.

I bought two sets, one had the worst proof/circulated coins I've ever gotten from the Mint. Scratches and dings on the proofs, lines as you said on the uncircs, etc.

The other though...if I were so inclined to slab them.....I think, conservatively grading, that PCGS would give me at least three 70's and 50-50 on the last one. These were the best coins I've ever gotten from the Mint.
  • Options
    Pcgs Rec'd mine the 3rd and if one set is already in the pops, you might go back to thur or fri. It'll be no later than the 3rd.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    First retail pricing I've seen has PCGS 1st strike 69 set @ $225, and a 70 set @ $475
    just about break even on the 69s?
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    @475, they didn't pay for walkthru.

I hope members receive the same speedy service as dealers...

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The enhanced coins in my 3 sets have all diagonal lines on JFK's face.

Do I have to pay shipping to return them to the US Mint? >>

Yes and if you want to track the package, it will cost you almost 20 dollars using Priority Mail and the box it came in.

>>

Depending on the zone a 5 set box weighing 6 pounds and insured will run you $30 or more. Te Mint will refund return shipping AFAIK, but you have to request it.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    $26.91 from Massachusetts....Priority Insured....on line cost. Full box of 5 sets sent back yesterday...

Also....MCM started their "Ask Not" label ER 70's at $339 with a small amount available. When they sold out they repeated at increasing increments to $399 where they finally sold out their 1st allotment. Still hanging at $399 for pre-orders....
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    So, has the mint sold the 150K it had "ready to go" yet?
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    Latest Population Report

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two cents...

At this point, figure about 40%-50%, give or take, of the coins in totally fresh sets will grade 70 at PCGS notwithstanding anything you see in a pop report. Try five fresh sets and report back.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    My question is can you get a 70 with the stripes since it is as minted?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>My question is can you get a 70 with the stripes since it is as minted? >>

There was an NGC one on Ebay. Still to be seen from PCGS. I trust some will post after grading...both with and without lines.

• Options
    I don't care if my enhanced is 69 or 70, I want a NL ( no lines) maybe they will start putting that on the label like DMPL, FBL, FB, NL.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    ebay 2014 P D S W Silver Kennedy Half PCGS PR70 MS70 4 Coin Set Reverse Proof SP 50th with stripes / brush marks on the EU, use mouse-over

here
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New numbers from the mint. (A day early, probably because tomorrow's a banker's holiday...)

10/19/2014....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...134,631....That's +813 over the previous week.
    10/26/2014....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...136,614....That's +1,983 over the previous week.
    11/2/2014......2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...141,808....That's +5,194 over the previous week.
    11/9/2014......2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...146,222....That's +4,414 over the previous week.

10/19/2014....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...64,303....That's +205 over the previous week.
    10/26/2014....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...65,039....That's +736 over the previous week.
    11/2/2014......2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...66,054....That's +1,015 over the previous week.
    11/9/2014......2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...66,547....That's +493 over the previous week.

11/2/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET...125,147....That's +125,147 over the previous week.
    11/9/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET...137,802....That's +12,655 over the previous week.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ebay 2014 P D S W Silver Kennedy Half PCGS PR70 MS70 4 Coin Set Reverse Proof SP 50th with stripes / brush marks on the EU, use mouse-over

here >>

Got that real silver maple leaf look, don't she? Bonus for those attached to the Canadian silvers.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>ebay 2014 P D S W Silver Kennedy Half PCGS PR70 MS70 4 Coin Set Reverse Proof SP 50th with stripes / brush marks on the EU, use mouse-over

here >>

Got that real silver maple leaf look, don't she? Bonus for those attached to the Canadian silvers. >>

It is a real disgrace that grading companies put 70 labels on trash that does not come close to the quality that should be in a 70.

I have see so many coins in 70 slabs that in no way should be a 70. It is obvious that quantity & money earned are more important than quality in giving a 70 grade.

As I said before and say now I will not buy another mint coin or graded modern coin until all parties involved make major improvements to the quality of what they are grading and selling.

It's time they stop dumping their damaged rejects on the collecting public.imageimage
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    gold sales fell back fast

• Options

here >>

Are these sample slabs? I don't see a grade on them.

Alex
  • Options

<< <i>

here >>

Are these sample slabs? I don't see a grade on them. >>

You can see the grades on the reverse picture

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

here >>

You can see the grades on the reverse picture >>

Thanks. Then I too question the grade....

Alex
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

here >>

You can see the grades on the reverse picture >>

I may have been premature in posting that link. Listing text says see our other pre-sales, you will be sent coins represented by pics in gallery #1. Note the listing is not titled pre-sale, but regardless, I should have noticed the text, but did not. I think that I posted a pre-sale listing with EU striped coins pictured, it may not be the case that PCGS slabs EU stripers.

My bad, apologies for any confusion.
  • Options
    In this case the Certificate number checks out good

• Options
    This is what I can't understand for the life of me. How are these coins coming out of 4 different mints, a couple with serious quality issues over the years, and be almost identical scoring 70's? How can that even be possible?
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is what I can't understand for the life of me. How are these coins coming out of 4 different mints, a couple with serious quality issues over the years, and be almost identical scoring 70's? How can that even be possible? >>

The answer is : $$$$$$$$$$$ + Greed + $$$$$$$$$$$ = another overpriced 70 coin

Using the mints poor quality control and variations in coins produced as an excuse for a rare or different variation grade is

just another BS excuse to try and gouge the collecting public for more $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Maby we need a sniffer to detect the "trickle down effect from the TPG's and other greedy dealers."
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
  • Options
    Coin collector on hsn

2,014 sets of FDOI Silver 70 4 coin sets - $479.95

Get yours today!

• Options
    They still have ~112/388 FDOI 70 Gold for 2799.95

Get yours today.... Or tomorrow.... Probably even next year!

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    The set includes four Kennedy half–dollar coins struck in 90% silver in four different finishes, one from each of the U.S. Mint’s coin production facilities:

•One reverse proof coin from the U.S. Mint at West Point

•One proof coin from the U.S. Mint at Philadelphia

•One enhanced uncirculated coin from the U.S. Mint at San Francisco. This is a special wire brushing technique implemented in Philadelphia for the first time. The obverse in the areas of the effigy (portrait), lettering, and border will all receive a heavy laser frosting treatment. On the reverse, the lettering and border will each receive a heavy laser frosting treatment. Other elements of the eagle will receive a standard (moderate) laser frosting treatment to enhance certain artistic detail. The stars will receive a laser polish technique to accentuate them against the field.

•One uncirculated coin from the U.S. Mint at Denver
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One enhanced uncirculated coin from the U.S. Mint at San Francisco. This is a special wire brushing technique implemented in Philadelphia for the first time. >>

Interesting, I did not know that. My enhanced must be Mint errors, because they do not have the brushing affect. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    109 left of the gold! they are going!

coming up... possibly sll the triple die 1964 kennedy available for sale they will offer tonight because they bought them all up to offer to you.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    here >>

image >>

Putting his name on a picture taken from the U.S. mint website is a nice touch.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As reported by COIN WORLD

U.S. Mint officials announced Nov. 14 that at 12:01 a.m. Nov. 17, the household order limits on the four-coin 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection and the two-coin 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Uncirculated Coin set were being lifted.

The household order limit was five of each product.

The silver set, offered at $99.95, contains .900 fine Kennedy half dollars in four finishes from four different Mints:

➤ One Reverse Proof coin from the West Point Mint.

➤ One Proof coin from the Philadelphia Mint.

➤ One Enhanced Uncirculated coin from the San Francisco Mint.

➤ One Uncirculated coin from the Denver Mint.

As of Nov. 9, the Mint recorded sales of 137,802 of the sets from a product limit of 300,000.

The two-coin clad set, with a product limit of 200,000, is being offered at $9.95 per set. It contains copper-nickel clad half dollars from the Denver and Philadelphia Mint. Sales through Nov. 9 total 146,222.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooopsy
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New numbers from the mint (also posted to the gold thread...):

10/26/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...136,614... That's +1,983 over the previous week.
    11/2/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...141,808... That's +5,194 over the previous week.
    11/9/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...146,222... That's +4,414 over the previous week.
    11/16/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY UNC CLAD SET...148,928... That's +2,706 over the previous week.

10/26/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...65,039... That's +736 over the previous week.
    11/2/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...66,054... That's +1,015 over the previous week.
    11/9/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...66,547... That's +493 over the previous week.
    11/16/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY GOLD COIN...66,859... That's +312 over the previous week.

11/2/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET...125,147... That's +125,147 over the previous week.
    11/9/2014.....2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET...137,802... That's +12,655 over the previous week.
    11/16/2014...2014 KENNEDY ANNIVERSARY SILVER SET...144,572... That's +6770 over the previous week.

Sales are still surprising stong, considering the sales of other numis items. (Proof Buff gold, proof SAE's, etc.) There might be a pick up (or at least a less strong decline) after Black Friday for Christmas.
  • Options
    if anyone wants these for the December holidays, I suggest ordering now and not waiting for any possible rush. These guys are great, but they are still new and not December proven yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file