Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

rkp - pretty nice that you have that Mike Hayes receipt!
    Tim, Nice job sniffing out that 97-S Fake!

Pix for tonight, courtesy Vern, PC 58 CAC.

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it make sense to do the barber dime set, graded, in a range of say high VF to XF? How many of the common dates are going to be certified at that level, when they would be under $50?

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Advancing the thread. A nice PC30 1901-P Half Dollar.

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Does it make sense to do the barber dime set, graded, in a range of say high VF to XF? How many of the common dates are going to be certified at that level, when they would be under $50?

All you need to do, I think Jason, is to check the population reports to get an idea.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was that way when I started doing my Barber Half sets in F. I made several of the 1st to grade F. Just plan on having to make your own(have them graded). At the moment it seems their are many people willing to pay the premium for graded halves...even in G!

@erwindoc said:

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:

It only has to make sense to one person, I believe, and that's you. If you like the idea- go for it!

• Options

erwindoc - I'd go for a box of 20 of what I consider to be the best dates and start there, looking for the highest quality in the desired grade range. That will be a challenge and as you go, perhaps you'll stumble across some common stuff too that is priced right. I personally wouldn't pay a TPG service 40 bucks to grade a 40 dollar coin.

Here's one that might fit the bill...PCGS XF-45

• Options

@paesan said:
    erwindoc - I'd go for a box of 20 of what I consider to be the best dates and start there, looking for the highest quality in the desired grade range. That will be a challenge and as you go, perhaps you'll stumble across some common stuff too that is priced right. I personally wouldn't pay a TPG service 40 bucks to grade a 40 dollar coin.

Nice looking dime! I think that is a great idea!

• Options

@paesan said:

I agree with Lenny, a seasoned answer for a seasoned approach! Here are some dates to consider early on for your first "20": 1892-S, 1893-S, 1894-O, 1895-P, 1895-O, 1895-S, 1896-O, 1896-S, 1897-O, 1897-S, 1901-S, 1903-S, 1904-S, 1907-D, 1908-O, 1909-D, 1909-S, 1910-S, 1913-S, 1915-S. Always keep on a look-out for some cool RPM's like the 1893-S/S or the 1901-O / Horizontal O.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@paesan said:

I agree with Lenny, a seasoned answer for a seasoned approach! Here are some dates to consider early on for your first "20": 1892-S, 1893-S, 1894-O, 1895-P, 1895-O, 1895-S, 1896-O, 1896-S, 1897-O, 1897-S, 1901-S, 1903-S, 1904-S, 1907-D, 1908-O, 1909-D, 1909-S, 1910-S, 1913-S, 1915-S. Always keep on a look-out for some cool RPM's like the 1893-S/S or the 1901-O / Horizontal O.

Great suggestions Tim!

• Options

Here is one that might fit, but something about it seems off to me. What do you guys think? Its graded but the cap and laurel leaves seem off.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding nice unmolested Barber dimes will prove a difficult search. I have been working on a box of twenty for three years. Still need a 1913-S. The list above is similar to mine with a few exceptions. Lots of market acceptable crap out there. Pass on that. Learn what a true original coin is would be my advice. Also, study the market to see what the truly tough stuff is. Pop reports can be deceiving since many common dates don't warrant the cost of grading. But if nothing else, enjoy the search. It's the best part. good luck.

• Options

@erwindoc said:

@paesan said:

Nice looking dime! I think that is a great idea!

The Vern signature green dot photo. Love it!

• Options

@No Headlights said:

The Vern signature green dot photo. Love it!

That definitely made me look!.... And it took me a while. I never noticed that before.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a new addition to my collection just back from the grading room, a 1900 O 25C in a PC AU58 holder:

This is an example of the rare Type I OBV paired with the Type III REV. I purchased the coin last summer in a NCC MS 61 holder and submitted it raw. The AU 58 holder suits me just fine.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daily Eye Candy for us Barber lovers:

• Options

@Eldorado9, Wow is that some serious hardware! Colorful

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@sedulous said:

Thanks Big Guy! Yes, some famous hardware here that has been around the block so to speak. The 1899-0 is ex. Shireman, 1900-s and 1901-0 are ex. Gardner, the 1907-d is ex. Duckor/Friend, the 1908 is another from Shireman, and the 1913 has no provenance that I am aware of.

• Options

Lots of nice coins! Jeff, congrats on that tough 1900-O!

Recently CAC'd, PC-58...

• Options

Here's another Quarter fresh from the grading room. I purchased it in a NGC AU 58 holder and submitted it raw to our hosts:

This is the uncommon (but not rare) Type II OBV paired with the Type II Reverse. Not a new coin, but a new holder. I'm looking to have a full set of the 1900 Hub Varieties (12 total) in PCGS holders.

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Here is one that might fit, but something about it seems off to me. What do you guys think? Its graded but the cap and laurel leaves seem off.

Well, first of all I believe it to be real. The real question, however, is how did the Phrygian cap get that close to non-existent in a portion of choice areas on the obverse? (at the top and backside of the cap). Might be helpful to see the coin's reverse. Assume it is a New Orleans version of the '95 dime?

• Options

A lot of die polish? Perhaps there was a bad die clash needing to be removed.

• Options

Tim,

It was a 95P. Ill post the images below. It sold for good money over the weekend on GC. It is in an old ANACS holder. I thought about the clash Jeff, but the laurel leaves are still pretty strong. The ribbon is even floating from the polishing, if that is the case.

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Tim,

It was a 95P. Ill post the images below. It sold for good money over the weekend on GC. It is in an old ANACS holder. I thought about the clash Jeff, but the laurel leaves are still pretty strong. The ribbon is even floating from the polishing, if that is the case.

Can it be like an excessive amount of grease or something filling those crevices of the die prohibiting metal flow? but the whole cap impression seems slightly weak but to the point of being gone above the laurel wreath or near the ribbon knot. Hmmm.

• Options

Pix for tonight, a colorfully toned 1916-D quarter FS-501 large D/small D, PC-55. (Variety not on holder)
    Photos courtesy Barberkeys.

• Options

I like the toning on that '16 Lenny. That's a great looking '00 S Reverse of '99 Jeff.

• Options

Thanks, Jed! Pix for tonight, PC-63....

• Options

I like the '92-S as a date. Thanks for sharing Lenny.

• Options

NGC - 58 Just CAC'd. I'm tossing around the idea of building an NGC Everyman set and having one for each grading service. Still undecided. Pix courtesy Vern!

• Options
    edited December 4, 2020 9:02PM

That sounds like a very cool plan Lenny! Here's one of my '92 S Tim (type 2 reverse):

• Options

From the SROTAG collection - PC-50 CAC....

• Options

@jedm said:
    That sounds like a very cool plan Lenny! Here's one of my '92 S Tim (type 2 reverse):

Really nice Jed!

• Options

@sedulous - Thanks, David Kahn's pics are very nice.

• Options

Here's a new addition to my Everyman Barber Quarter set:

This one was purchased in an ANACS AU58 holder and submitted raw. It seems to be a tougher Philadelphia Quarter to find in nice AU condition.

• Options

@paesan said:
    From the SROTAG collection - PC-50 CAC....

That is a nice looking Barber half Lenny. Great coin.

• Options

Here's a spare 11-S bought from Vern and photographed by him as well. PC-50.

• Options

PC-45, pix courtesy Barberkeys....

• Options

Do you guys see quarters becoming more popular in grades such as VG/F like halves have done?

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Do you guys see quarters becoming more popular in grades such as VG/F like halves have done?

Price and availability factors. If higher grade material is more sparse, and people want to collect, the grade level of collections will begin to be lower. Cost is also a factor. VF, XF, AU, and higher material is high priced today in halves. Supply and Demand.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2020 4:10PM

Per NGC, price performance through 2020 in relation to Barber Dimes:

Essentially, tougher dates get price increases and common, high-grade dates lose value.

• T

• Options

A choice selection out of my Wayte Raymond holder. A nice 1907-S. Purchased May 5, 2014 from John Thomas out of Virginia.

-T

• Options

A new raw Barber Half arrived in the mail today:

My guess is it will grade MS 62 or 63. It's a nice cream color with very light wisps of toning. Nothing special, but I think it's a nice coin.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2020 5:36PM

I like that more of a common date '06-P half Jeff. Here is another Wayte Raymond grabbing a pic of an '06-P quarter in this instance following Jeff's lead with her little sister (who has been playing in the backyard and a little dirty / worn out)

• T

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

My guess is it will grade MS 62 or 63. It's a nice cream color with very light wisps of toning. Nothing special, but I think it's a nice coin.

You have more guts than I do, buying a raw coin of that caliber! Comes with experience in the set I suppose.

• Options

@erwindoc said:

@JeffMTampa said:

You have more guts than I do, buying a raw coin of that caliber! Comes with experience in the set I suppose.

I/m pretty sure it's not carrying COVID......

• Options

@erwindoc said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Out of curiosity I looked through my MS Barber Half collection this morning. It currently has 23- PCGS MS slabbed coins; 20 of them were purchased raw over the last 8 years. Most of them were purchased on eBay thinking they would grade AU 58. There are still nice ones that come to market as old collections get sold.

Here's another raw purchase that came in the mail yesterday:

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@erwindoc said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Out of curiosity I looked through my MS Barber Half collection this morning. It currently has 23- PCGS MS slabbed coins; 20 of them were purchased raw over the last 8 years. Most of them were purchased on eBay thinking they would grade AU 58. There are still nice ones that come to market as old collections get sold.

Here's another raw purchase that came in the mail yesterday:

You have a great eye! I guess that Ill just have to roll the dice a time or two and see what happens!

• Options

I failed to mention that I return about 60% of the raw coins purchased on eBay. Typically for deceptive photography.

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hey Jeff,
    Just real curious,are most of those returns from a hand full of the same sellers or less?
    Asking because you mentioned return....and where those returns "easy"

Rob
  • Options

@Redglobe said:
    Hey Jeff,
    Just real curious,are most of those returns from a hand full of the same sellers or less?
    Asking because you mentioned return....and where those returns "easy"

I would guess very few of the returns were to the same seller. I typically don't purchase coins from sellers of raw coins that I've returned a purchase to. I look for the small sellers, Jewelry Stores, etc. Almost all the returns are easy, especially if the seller advertises that they accept returns.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file