Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2020 7:15AM

Those are some nice looking examples all of them. I am especially drawn to your '04 O quarter Tim which has the look that just really captures me for some reason.
    Lenny - a good description is always interesting to me and you've given it a great one in my opinion also.
    The '05 S Jeff, not to be disagreeable, but I'm really thinking it'll get the 58 grade because to me it just doesn't show enough wear to deserve a 55 and it's got nice eye appeal.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jed- we're all entitled to an opinion, but our hosts have the final say. I hope they agree with you!

Here's another new arrival, a 1914 S Quarter in a PC VF 35 holder:

Apparently this is a very rare error coin- both the Obverse and Reverse have been rotated 90 degrees in the same direction:

I can't say I understand the error, but our hosts obviously did and positioned the coin in the holder appropriately.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Lenny-
    It has been some time but I would like to image the date(s) I hope others who own them are enjoying them.
    I hope everyone is enjoying all of their new "finds".

Craig

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff & Jed- Thanks on the "watercolor" comments. It's all I could think of when I saw it!

Hi Craig! Good to see you back!

Here's a recent upgrade (Pop-1) PC-58+ CAC. I don't like the chatter but the color is nice!

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2020 7:44PM

@paesan it looks like you have a machine to produce those AU 58+ CAC Quarters. Nice!

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Labelman87 said:
    Lenny-
    It has been some time but I would like to image the date(s) I hope others who own them are enjoying them.
    I hope everyone is enjoying all of their new "finds".

Craig, I love those two Barbers you have brought out. Nice pics there. It would be great if there was an opportunity to see the '95-O up close and personal-like at some point. I will bet you that looks even better in hand!

Thanks everyone for sharing here of late. Fantastic stuff!

Thanks for the kudos Jed on the '04-O. I only recently was looking at it - and it is getting lost in the shuffle of a couple of XF40's I picked up in 2017. The VF20 I consider now an "extra" and is from an old Teletrade auction in May 2012.

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Jeff- I wish it was that easy. I got very lucky, that's all.

From The Stash and recently CAC'd...PC-64. Pix by Vern.

• Options

Here's a coin I've owned for about 3 years but shot new photos yesterday:

• Options

Lenny and Jeff, nice coins!

• Options

Jeff, Very nice 92-O quarter. PQ in my opinion.

Here's a spare 03-O, PCGS AU-53. Thanks for pix Vern!

• Options

@paesan 1903-O with a plastic streak there Lenny, removable to clear up the image? how bad is the plastic smear? Maybe @barberkeys knows?

• Options

If I purchase a slabbed coin 9 out of 10 times I need to restore the plastic finish on the holder before shooting the coin. I still use headlight restorer to remove the scratches; it takes about 15 min. per slab. There must be a better way....

• Options

Bring Jon back. When do we storm City Hall?

• Options

Amen, and Amen

• Options

Amen brother

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options

Amen-if he comes back as quarterman.

• Options

I like "Quarterman!" I'll work on that.
    Picture for tonight, new to Dimeman's collection...PC-45 CAC.

• Options

And another new buddy wanted to see my 13-S quarter. Now in a PCGS VF-25 holder. Here are the old pix.

• Options

As long as we're honoring Jon, "Quarterman", here's an addition to his collection that went into the mail today. A 1902 S Quarter graded XF45:

I'm only posting this because Jon is not currently allowed. For some reason. That I have no clue about. Is it relavent?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2020 7:19PM

:#

@JeffMTampa said:
    As long as we're honoring Jon, "Quarterman", here's an addition to his collection that went into the mail today. A 1902 S Quarter graded XF45:

I'm only posting this because Jon is not currently allowed. For some reason. That I have no clue about. Is it relavent?

• Options

New thread started titled Bring Back Dimeman. Please chime in and help petition his reinstatement. Spread the word. Thanks, Guys!

Lenny

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paesan said:
    New thread started titled Bring Back Dimeman. Please chime in and help petition his reinstatement. Spread the word. Thanks, Guys!

Lenny

Nice try Lenny But that thread went away faster than a twelve year old ten dollars at the fair. Hope Jon is well.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@paesan said:

Here is my 1900-O

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Nice try Lenny But that thread went away faster than a twelve year old ten dollars at the fair. Hope Jon is well.

I've never heard that expression - so true! I recently took a few kids to a carnival in town and it sure brought back memories of how alluring all those games can be at that age.

• Options

Spacehayduke - Very interesting toning on your 1900-O!

As for the thread, I went in with an olive branch. I guess that only works if a heraldic eagle is grasping it. Sad.

Another 1900-O into Jon's collection....PC-40.

• Options

The thread has slipped to Page 2; here's a random Barber Half to bump the thread:

I still believe this coin looks better than a 62...….

• Options
    edited October 30, 2020 2:13PM

@erwindoc said:
    Hey guys, a patient brought this dime in for me to look at. He thinks its an 1892/1898 variety and claims its very rare.

Cursory look, something definitely going on in there... don't know if it can be classified as Breen 3508 (1898/1892).

My pics get us closer... shipping off to Jeff tomorrow, he can do better than I or Jason can.

• T

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@erwindoc said:
    Hey guys, a patient brought this dime in for me to look at. He thinks its an 1892/1898 variety and claims its very rare.

Cursory look, something definitely going on in there... don't know if it can be classified as Breen 3508 (1898/1892).

My pics get us closer... shipping off to Jeff tomorrow, he can do better than I or Jason can.

• T

Taking it out of the holder helped some! Keep us posted!

• Options

Here's a pic of an1898 O that will be a slight upgrade in the look of my Dansco collection:

• Options

@jedm said:
    Here's a pic of an1898 O that will be a slight upgrade in the look of my Dansco collection:

Is there something going on within that date area Jed?

• Tim

• Options

@paesan said:
    Spacehayduke - Very interesting toning on your 1900-O!

@spacehayduke ... Any idea on how that blue tone came out the way it did? I have never seen that color blue on a silver coin before.

• Tim

• Options

Jed, looks like a great coin for an album!

Just back from CAC, PC - 08. Low grade, nice look.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2020 9:47PM

@sedulous - Not sure....if
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=H-kA3UtBj4M
    or
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=6NXnxTNIWkc
    But that is a nice close up!
    @paesan - Thanks. That's a nice 14S for the grade too.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=gp5JCrSXkJY

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@spacehayduke ... Any idea on how that blue tone came out the way it did? I have never seen that color blue on a silver coin before.

• Tim

Tim, That color is very common on capped bust quarters, especially small CBQs. Keep in mind the color you see will depend on your monitor, my processing, white balance, how the image is processed during uploading here, etc. So the color may not be exactly what you will see viewing it in hand. Nevertheless, the color as I have seen, looks like I have seen alot on CBQs. I haven't seen enough barbers halves to know what toning should and does look like most of the time in this series, but I trust CAC.......

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@erwindoc said:
    Picked up this beauty over the weekend. Got lucky and found it had a free True View!

Wow, is that cool looking Jason!

• Options

I also have a newp filling another hole in my XF Registry collection. Here is a 1907-O PC40 with some color:

Here is a bit of an angled picture to show a little bit of the color.

• Tim

• Options

Just CAC'd. PCGS AU-55.

• Options

To bump the thread, here's a pair of 1897 O Halves from my stash- a tougher date:

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff, gotta keep this on Page 1.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020 5:54AM

Just noticed the humor thread has surpassed us in the number of views.

Edited for my attempt at humor that failed!

• Options
    edited November 4, 2020 10:17PM

@amwldcoin said:
    Just noticed the hummer thread has surpassed us in the number of views.

There's a hummer thread? How did I miss that?

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Just noticed the hummer thread has surpassed us in the number of views.

A link might be helpful. I am not familiar with what you are referencing.

• Options

PC-55 and just CAC'd. Pix courtesy Barberkeys.

• Options

Lenny- that's a nice looking '04 O Quarter with the typical weak strike. New Orleans sure had poor quality for most dates. My guess is it was too hot in the City for many months and they didn't want to fire up the annealing furnace any more than they thought absolutely necessary. The furnace that would have been used for annealing is in the center of one of the Mint wings where there was a lot of human activity.

For comparison purposes here's my '04 O Quarter in a PC53 holder:

It shows the same weakness of strike as Lenny's example.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

... New Orleans sure had poor quality for most dates. My guess is it was too hot in the City for many months and they didn't want to fire up the annealing furnace any more than they thought absolutely necessary. The furnace that would have been used for annealing is in the center of one of the Mint wings where there was a lot of human activity.

I like your line of thought, it shows good deductive reasoning. I worked in a place one winter where the heat was very high and loved the feeling, but couldn't imagine if it'd been 80 or 90 degrees outside with no air conditioning.

• Options

From the SROTAG collection, PC-53 CAC. Pix courtesy Barberkeys.

• Options

About 6 months ago I was looking at the BCCS Quarter Variety Survey. I noticed in the 1900 Hub Varieties there were many examples of the Type I/ II and II/ III, some examples of the Type II/ II, but NO reported examples of the Type I/ III from any of the 3 mints. I was intrigued by this, and decided to begin a collection of the 12 possible combinations. Some I already owned, and some I previously owned but had since sold.

It turns out I had previously owned a 1900 S Type I/ III (rare) in a PC AU53 holder. I tracked down the person I sold it to and contacted him to see if he was interested in selling it back to me. He wasn't, but we became friends- more valuable than a coin. I've been looking for another example of the 1900 S Type I/ III since, to no avail. I figured if one exists there must be more. I searched every website I could think of daily looking for one, no matter what condition. Turns out it was the last one I needed to complete the set.

Last week an AU example appeared on an eBay auction. The starting price was a bit high- I was the only bidder. The coin arrived today:

Although the coin appears to be an AU58, there's a lite scratch across the cheek, wreath, and cap. It's not too noticeable, but it's enough that I suspect the coin will end up in a Details holder. Too bad. Normally I would return the coin, but because of it's scarcity I'll keep it.

I now have examples of all 12 varieties, although a couple in Good condition (I'll continue to look for upgrades). My guess is I'm probably the only collector anal enough to put together this set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file