Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

My life story: I was purchased off Heritage in 2013 in an NGC holder. PCGS took pity on me and crossed me instead of the usual downgrade. Into The Stash I went until CAC'd last year. Then, like a fine wine, I got better over time and Paesan decided to try for an upgrade. Now, a 58+ CAC, pop 1. Toned in the holder! Amazing before and after pix taken by my Uncle Vern.

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a tougher Liberty Nickel, an 1885 in a PC AU58 holder:

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Coin for today...in The Stash since 2009. PC-63. Pix courtesy Barberkeys.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1902-O Barber Quarter. A nice MS63 (@paesan) Lenny! Here is my XF specimen grabbed in November 2015 from Harlan J. Berk. I confirmed my assessment of this coin from my local coin shop that this should be a 45 vs. what our hosts think as only a 40:

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2020 10:07PM

1902 O - That's a beauty Lenny. Tim I think you're right with your assessment - here's my XF40:

Just for the heck of it - here's an F15 I kinda took a liking to as well:

• Options
    tennbjjtennbjj Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

Purchased at Heritage last month. One of the prettier coins I have ever owned.

• Options

Ooooh that's a sweet looking dime @tennbjj !

• Options

I like the 02-O from DK. Nice coin.

PC-62 CAC from The Stash....

• Options
    edited October 4, 2020 5:52PM

This might be interesting... I learned about the quality of coin viewing by comparing my Black Diamond 0.8 Gain movie screen (and using my Panasonic PT-AE8000U 3D projector) to my cheapo 17-inch DELL computer. @jedm Jed, I hope you don't mind but I used your recently posted 1902-O Barber Quarter in XF40 for this test.

What I found is that Jed's coin was much more colorful when projected. The colors were more vibrant leveraging the movie screen projector... boy oh boy was it also cool seeing Jed's quarter obverse at such a gargantuan digital projection! Perhaps you will pick-up the difference in the following picks for what I saw.

In summary, I came to appreciate Jed's coin oh so much more when the colors popped on the movie screen. - Tim

I am now wondering if I have been missing the true joy of all of your postings in the past because I have been viewing them through my computer screen.

• Options

Very seldom are any of the pics that I post actually pics that I took. Mostly I use the sellers pics. I agree Dave Khan has very true to life pics that are just very high quality.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim - That's pretty neat.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

That is very cool Tim, I agree!

...1914-S thirty cents PC-58 CAC..

• Options

Both coins are incredible Lenny!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2020 8:30AM

Hey guys, a patient brought this dime in for me to look at. He thinks its an 1892/1898 variety and claims its very rare. I cannot imagine that the mint would use the same dies 6 years apart. However, there is something going across the lower loop of the last 8 in 1898. What is it? Just a RPM for the year? Ill try to get a close up of the date, but the lighting in my office is pretty poor for images.

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Hey guys, a patient brought this dime in for me to look at. He thinks its an 1892/1898 variety and claims its very rare. I cannot imagine that the mint would use the same dies 6 years apart. However, there is something going across the lower loop of the last 8 in 1898. What is it? Just a RPM for the year? Ill try to get a close up of the date, but the lighting in my office is pretty poor for images.

Here is the note from Feigenbaum: "One repunched date and one overdate reported by Breen. In the latter, a line within the final 8 seems to have the curvature of part of a 2. Also, one die has two chips by the corn ear, evident as extra metal in that area. No. 101 - 1898-P, 98/98. Difficult to see, but most obvious inside the upper part of the 9. A common date in most grades. Slightly better than some of the later P-mints in XF and AU. Comes well struck with nice luster."

JC, You might be referring to Breen's overdate according to Feigenbaum's book "The Complete Guide to Barber Dimes". I looked in that book but don't see a confirming image there. - T

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@erwindoc said:

Here is the note from Feigenbaum: "One repunched date and one overdate reported by Breen. In the latter, a line within the final 8 seems to have the curvature of part of a 2. Also, one die has two chips by the corn ear, evident as extra metal in that area. No. 101 - 1898-P, 98/98. Difficult to see, but most obvious inside the upper part of the 9. A common date in most grades. Slightly better than some of the later P-mints in XF and AU. Comes well struck with nice luster."

JC, You might be referring to Breen's overdate according to Feigenbaum's book "The Complete Guide to Barber Dimes". I looked in that book but don't see a confirming image there. - T

I just consider it another of Breen's made up 'facts'.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    edited October 9, 2020 4:20PM

Found my Breen book. Here are the actual two entries for the 1898:

Says "most like" the bottom of a squiggly 2 through the lower loop of the 8.
    But I would surmise that Breen really doesn't know per the way he laid out his entry.
    Breen supposedly catalogued the Gilhousen collection.
    C. Gilhousen info: http://www.numismaticmall.com/numismaticmall-com/gilhousen-charles-ellsworth

• T

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Found my Breen book. Here are the actual two entries for the 1898:

Says "most like" the bottom of a squiggly 2 through the lower loop of the 8.
    But I would surmise that Breen really doesn't know per the way he laid out his entry.
    Breen supposedly catalogued the Gilhousen collection.
    C. Gilhousen info: http://www.numismaticmall.com/numismaticmall-com/gilhousen-charles-ellsworth

• T

Guess that is where the 1898/1892 comes from then!

• Options

@paesan
    Thanks for bringing out that beautiful '95-O with center MM Lenny. It reminded me of one of my '95-O ctr MM's. This one is NGC VF30. Wondering (asking really) if you all think I should try to cross it to a PC holder? it certainly has some decent features left and nice color.

• T

• Options

Looks nice Tim. I have no opinion on whether you should send it in to cross it. At this point I have the same question in my mind on a few from across the street, but for now I've just let them mingle with the others- they seem to get along nicely.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a Barber collector really, but I want to say that I am impressed how Barber fans and those who knew Mr. Hayes keep this thread on the first page so often. It's a great tribute that stays current, hats off to all of you.
    Here's my humble contribution

• Options
    edited October 10, 2020 8:49AM

@ChangeInHistory said:
    I'm not a Barber collector really, but I want to say that I am impressed how Barber fans and those who knew Mr. Hayes keep this thread on the first page so often. It's a great tribute that stays current, hats off to all of you.
    Here's my humble contribution

Sweet and wholesome! the '01-O is a tougher date in the quarter series. You have a nice one there. To get an '01-O with nice color and viewing pleasantness is no small feat. I have one in VF20:

• Tim

• Options

Here's my contribution, a 1901 O Quarter in a XF45 holder. This one was purchased from Mike Hayes about 6 years ago:

I need to re-photograph this coin. The photos are from 2015: I'm guessing the coin shows better.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've posted it before...but what the heck...another 01-O in 45!

• Options

Since we are doing PC45's, here is even another 1901-O that Lenny (@paesan) helped me acquire.

Provenance: Obtained from the Swede collection in June 2020.

• Options

@JeffMTampa
    Jeff, With image technology improvements, your set-up, and your improved picture-taking abilities, I would agree you can definitely get a better digital image out of your 1901-O PC45.

• T

• Options

@paesan said:
    New pix of an old coin. PC-58 CAC. Photos courtesy Barberkeys.

Wild colors, tough date!

Check out total PCGS population for the '99-S in comparison to every other date-mint in the Barber Quarter series. You will find it is a sleeper date... the lowest! It has close to the same mintage as the '09-O but has not followed it up in price advancement. Why?

• Options

@paesan said:
    New pix of an old coin. PC-58 CAC. Photos courtesy Barberkeys.

I was just thinking "I wish there was a WOW button." How can I be that lazy? WOW! Beautiful.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing tone on your 99-S, Lenny.

Pics for this PM, less color and no MM, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2020 9:52PM

Nice pictures Lenny (P-version) and Vern ! I love the '99-S as a date and mint... here is a PC45:

• T

• Options

Here's my '99 S in a PC AU55 holder:

This was a raw purchase last spring (eBay). Although I like the golden toning on this one I prefer the look on Lenny's coin.

• Options

A VERY Pretty example Jeff but I agree Lenny's is a bit of a dazzler

• Options

@jedm said:
    A VERY Pretty example Jeff but I agree Lenny's is a bit of a dazzler

For me, I am a bit against the grain with not preferring wild toners. I actually like Jeff's coin just as much or maybe a little more. IMHO.

• Options

Thanks, guys! Here's another 95-O, PC-63 CAC. Pix courtesy Barberkeys.

• Options

Here is a recent newp for me. Was a reasonable cost... I wanted to get a closer look at those die cracks, scratch marks aside.

• T

• Options

There were a few purdies(mostly dimes) last night in Heritage that blew away the price guides!

• Options

Let's go from MS-63 to my latest raw good. Pix courtesy Barberkeys.

• Options

A common date PC-58.

• Options

Here's big Sister:

• Options
    edited October 17, 2020 5:44AM

Here's a California cousin that circulated a bit more:

• Options

Does the eagle on this 1882 St. Julian medal look very similar to the Barber reverse starting 10 years later? was going through a book and came across this picture:

• Options

It is very similar!

@sedulous said:
    Does the eagle on this 1882 St. Julian medal look very similar to the Barber reverse starting 10 years later? was going through a book and came across this picture:

• Options

In a cartoonie sort of way.....

• Options

My new avatar. PC 58+ CAC. From The Iowa Collection in 2015.
    Pix courtesy Barberkeys.

• Options

A little more of a circulated variety... a nice VF20 1904-O with great circulated look:

• Options

@paesan said:
    My new avatar. PC 58+ CAC. From The Iowa Collection in 2015.
    Pix courtesy Barberkeys.

Lenny, That 1910 quarter certainly has the right look! The AU58+ designation will definitely help the Registry Set!

• Tim

• Options

Thanks, Tim.
    How about a watercolor dime tonight? PC-63 CAC. Thanks for the pix, Vern!

• Options

@paesan said:
    How about a watercolor dime tonight? PC-63 CAC. Thanks for the pix, Vern!

That's a very pretty dime, Lenny. I like your "watercolor" description. The OBV looks like Miss Liberty is caught in a watercolor rainstorm.

Here's a new arrival looking for a spot on my Quarter team- a 1905 S currently residing in an ICG AU 58 holder:

My guess is it's AU 55 material, not 58. The Gods will need to pass judgement.

The toning on this coins OBV looks like Miss Liberty is caught in a snowstorm!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file