Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

No offense. But going by those pictures it makes me question CAC!

@paesan said:
    From the SROTAG collection, PC-53 CAC. Pix courtesy Barberkeys.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    About 6 months ago I was looking at the BCCS Quarter Variety Survey. I noticed in the 1900 Hub Varieties there were many examples of the Type I/ II and II/ III, some examples of the Type II/ II, but NO reported examples of the Type I/ III from any of the 3 mints. I was intrigued by this, and decided to begin a collection of the 12 possible combinations. Some I already owned, and some I previously owned but had since sold.

It turns out I had previously owned a 1900 S Type I/ III (rare) in a PC AU53 holder. I tracked down the person I sold it to and contacted him to see if he was interested in selling it back to me. He wasn't, but we became friends- more valuable than a coin. I've been looking for another example of the 1900 S Type I/ III since, to no avail. I figured if one exists there must be more. I searched every website I could think of daily looking for one, no matter what condition. Turns out it was the last one I needed to complete the set.

Last week an AU example appeared on an eBay auction. The starting price was a bit high- I was the only bidder. The coin arrived today:

Although the coin appears to be an AU58, there's a lite scratch across the cheek, wreath, and cap. It's not too noticeable, but it's enough that I suspect the coin will end up in a Details holder. Too bad. Normally I would return the coin, but because of it's scarcity I'll keep it.

I now have examples of all 12 varieties, although a couple in Good condition (I'll continue to look for upgrades). My guess is I'm probably the only collector anal enough to put together this set.

At first, on accident, I selected "agree" then noticed my error and quickly changed it to "like" for your post Jeff... lol.

I think you have achieved a fine accomplishment! wow, all 12. Great job.

On my end, I have located another one of the '93-O positional varieties in AU with the assistance of @paesan. I hope to post it here in a week or two after it arrives.

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2020 12:54PM

There is a US coin series more out of favor with the general coin collecting community than Barbers- Classic silver US Commemoratives from 1892- 1954. Most dates are inexpensive and plentiful in nice MS condition. I began a set earlier this year exclusively in PCGS Old Green Holders.

Yesterday a new coin for the set arrived; a Charles Barber designed coin that I don't recall seeing posted in this thread previously. Here's an Isabella Quarter in a PCGS Gen. 3.1 OGH, MS62:

The coin is as white as the day it was minted; obviously dipped. I think it looks nicer than a 62, however.

Notice how Isabella and Miss Liberty on the Barber series look a lot alike? I didn't know Charles had Copy/ Paste capability back then.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

For all you variety lovers, here's a raw 93-S dime with a funny mint mark!

More coins, less government.

It looks like a RPM to me.

There is only one RPM on CoinFacts... this one from Lenny almost looks the same

Low pop date, PC-50. Pix courtesy Vern.

I like it for the grade.

Thanks, Jeff!
    A newp in Jon's collection.....PC-45

My 1898 in PC XF...

US Philippines 1914-S Twenty Centavos (Engraved by Charles Barber) - My newest collecting passion, approximately the size of a Barber Quarter.

@sedulous said:

@erwindoc said:
    Hey guys, a patient brought this dime in for me to look at. He thinks its an 1892/1898 variety and claims its very rare.

Cursory look, something definitely going on in there... don't know if it can be classified as Breen 3508 (1898/1892).

My pics get us closer... shipping off to Jeff tomorrow, he can do better than I or Jason can.

• T

The coin Tim sent arrived a couple of days ago; I had a chance to take a few photos of it last night:

I have no expertise in interpreting what's seen in the photos, but I'm having difficulty finding a way to interpret there's a "2" hiding under the last "8" in the date. The extra metal in the lower loop looks like a die crack to me- not part of a RPM. But I certainly could be missing something; other opinions?

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, but doesn't match the lower part of a 2.

However, that part inside the top loop of the 8, to the left side is more interesting.

Frank

BHNC #203

@Treashunt said:

However, that part inside the top loop of the 8, to the left side is more interesting.

Frank- I agree. The top loop looks like a RPM.

@JeffMTampa said:

@Treashunt said:

as an aside, Breen's reference is generally useless.

He never met a fact that he couldn't make up

Frank

BHNC #203

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a common date from my Dansco:

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's 1 I just picked up that's a contender for my set.

@JeffMTampa said:

@Treashunt said:

Guys, accidental error in your statement in that we are talking RPD, not RPM. Also look at the bottom of the top part of the 9. I think it is a RPD, not a Breen 3708... although, I should say back then loupes, eyes, and such were not as great as the digital technology we have today similar to Jeff's set-up. Therefore it may have very much looked like a 2 bottom to old eyes... and this might have been the coin he spoke of.

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@Treashunt said:

Guys, accidental error in your statement in that we are talking RPD, not RPM. Also look at the bottom of the top part of the 9. I think it is a RPD, not a Breen 3708... although, I should say back then loupes, eyes, and such were not as great as the digital technology we have today similar to Jeff's set-up. Therefore it may have very much looked like a 2 bottom to old eyes... and this might have been the coin he spoke of.

oops, I bad

Frank

BHNC #203

@Treashunt said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@Treashunt said:

oops, I bad

@Treashunt - it was my bad, not yours. Tim- I think you might have nailed it.

edited November 13, 2020 4:49PM

@sedulous said:

On my end, I have located another one of the '93-O positional varieties in AU with the assistance of @paesan. I hope to post it here in a week or two after it arrives.

This aforementioned 1893-O (Slightly Right O) arrived today. I want to thank @paesan Lenny for allowing me the opportunity to obtain this positional variety... and a nice quarter it is! Thanks to @Srotag Dave as the previous caretaker who meticulously took care of this quarter. 1893-O Barber Quarter PCGS AU53 #31330427 with Green CAC Sticker:

• Tim

edited November 13, 2020 4:46PM

@JeffMTampa said:
    The coin Tim sent arrived a couple of days ago; I had a chance to take a few photos of it last night:

I have no expertise in interpreting what's seen in the photos, but I'm having difficulty finding a way to interpret there's a "2" hiding under the last "8" in the date. The extra metal in the lower loop looks like a die crack to me- not part of a RPM. But I certainly could be missing something; other opinions?

@erwindoc J, Thanks for submitting the 1898-P dime to me. @JeffMTampa Jeff, Thanks for taking the time to image this coin and definitively put the '8 over 2' to rest. For the RPD itself, a lot of stuff is going on with this dime. I have tried to highlight a few of those - I may have missed the upper loop of the 8 but for what I see, I have marked in red here:

• Tim

Another 9-S Dime, ANACS-30.

@sedulous said:
    @sedulous said:

This aforementioned 1893-O (Slightly Right O) arrived today. I want to thank @paesan Lenny for allowing me the opportunity to obtain this positional variety... and a nice quarter it is! Thanks to @Srotag Dave as the previous caretaker who meticulously took care of this quarter. 1893-O Barber Quarter PCGS AU53 #31330427 with Green CAC Sticker:

• Tim

the MM position on your new '93 O Quarter is basically in the same position as the #4 identified in the BCCS article:

But it may not from the same die. The MM looks tilted at a different angle than the one pictured above?

@JeffMTampa Jeff, It looks the same to me! Speaking of your BCCS article, it was not only directional but gave focus to my existing studies in addition to the pursuit of these positional varieties.

• T

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

My latest addition! Nice strike and color. The older holder adds some appeal too!

Just a little raw thing.....

This is one of my favorite dimes - a repeat here but it has been quite a while ago. Story on this 1897-O... the seller stated "Coin is being sold 'AS IS' part of an estate sale. Coin belonged to our Uncle. He bought his coins through coin catalogs like Littleton and Lauren Benson, Inc. & H.E. Harris, Boston, MA." I won this 1897-O on an Ebay auction in June 2017. The coin originates from Marshall, AK, USA. It was graded by PCGS as VF25 in September 2017.

• Tim

edited November 16, 2020 8:06PM

Here is a dime that was purchased locally in central Illinois at a coin shop (timeframe October 2018). An 1892-O in AU raw and a bit flashy:

• T

The Halves need more representation. Here's one of mine:

It hasn't been to CAC- I'm not a member. I haven't figured out a way to be considered worthy.

Coin for this evening, pix courtesy Barberkeys...

Big Sis from San Francisco:

From the Srotag collection and pix courtesy Vern, PCGS-45 CAC. Darrell? B)

Lower-grade and raw 1907-S Barber Quarter. Tougher date:

• T

Bumping the Thread... 1900-S in PC45:

• Tim

@sedulous said:
    Bumping the Thread... 1900-S in PC45:

>

• Tim

Type I Obverse with a Type II Reverse. One of the early coins struck that year!

Here's the version of the same die pair in my set:

A little more common 1902-P dime. This one is a wholesome PC50!

Slightly distorted from my cell phone, this pic shows the color a bit better...

• T

@paesan said:
    My only MS-65 quarter, just back from CAC...Pix courtesy Barberkeys.

Those are awesome pics @barberkeys !

Here's an un-common date Liberty Nickel in my sett, an 1888 in a PC63 holder:

edited November 22, 2020 1:09PM

1898-S Barber Quarter in PCGS VF30. Ex-John Thomas from January 2014. Full band under LIBERTY motto but only graded a VF30. Hmmm. Perhaps the laurel leaves could be stronger.

I still need to work on a camera set-up that would rival Vern's and Jeff's.
    I have a higher-end Nikon camera but just need to find time for copy stand, et.al. set-ups.
    Perhaps that can happen over the holidays here soon.

• Tim

Wow- I would go 40 on that one...

I also have another 1898-S that has been graded as PCGS XF40. I did a comparison between the PC30 and the PC40. I noticed the date placement is different:

• Tim

@jedm said:
    Here's a common date from my Dansco:

Jed, The earlier dates from Philadelphia in the quarter size are tougher than you might realize. Other than the '92, I wouldn't call these dates "common". - Tim

I agree, Jed! Vern does an awesome job. Here's a CAC rejected AU-58 07-S.

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks JED and Lenny. I would like to again thank Jeff for his guidance in the coin pic process.

Pics for this PM, now belongs to my friend Dan, PC10:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    edited November 25, 2020 12:36AM

Please provide comments to confirm or deny this 1897-S Barber Quarter as being fake. I am trying to both get the word out and gage opinions to educate all. This coin is currently on Ebay with a target to be sold Thursday morning:

PUP's: Obv. earlobe Ty2, Date position vs. denticles (looks closer to a match with an 1897-P quarter?). Rev. wingtip looks Ty3, S mintmark too tall, too much to the right, and serifs not correct. Also, past negative seller feedback on a previously called-out fake coin on an earlier transaction, no returns auction, seller from overseas, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Barber-Quarter-1897-S/133581721681?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2648

Please provide further clarification on what you are seeing based on your past experiences and knowledge. Thank you everyone. - Tim

Tim- good sleuthing! The coin is a Type II OBV with a Type III REV; not possible for the date. Both hubs came out in 1900. It must be a Chinese fantasy coin.

• rkprkp Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just came across this receipt for a trade I did with Mike at the Chicago ANA In 2013 and thought I’d share - still have these awesome coins.

RIP Mike

Yep, it's a fake Tim. As mentioned by Jeff this example being minted by the US ,mint is an impossibility.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file