The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I sold this one. PCGS MS-61

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new purchase arrived in the mail yesterday- a 1912 S raw Quarter. It took over 3 weeks to arrive, stranded for over 2 weeks in a Washington DC Post Office.

Although it's a nice coin, it won't upgrade the AU 50 in my current set (this looks like a XF 45 to me). I purchased this coin for the cool struck-thru area on the reverse:

While photographing it I noticed a repunched MM. This one appears to be an unreported discovery; I can't find any record of it.

Photos have been sent to Steve Hustad, the BCCS Barber Variety coordinator, for verification.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, That could be a lamination. I just picked up a cool Barber Half with an interesting lamination. Perhaps I can post pictures later, off to visit family today!

• Options

Darrell- yes, it could be a lamination. I don't have enough knowledge to distinguish the difference.

Please post yours when possible; I would like to see it.

• Options

Couple of raw 96-O quarters....

• Options

1912-D PCGS F12 Lamination Error

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

Reverse affected Darrell?

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Not at all.

@sedulous said:

@amwldcoin said:

Reverse affected Darrell?

• Options
    edited January 11, 2021 8:55PM

Attempting to move up the Hayes thread. Here is a beauty - and I will say all with Lenny's help. Seller's pic for this newp...

The two others I have are a centered mintmark and another far-right mintmark (with the O mintmark more counter-clockwise rotated than the one pictured here).

• Tim

• Options

That's a nice look for an EF-45, Tim! It'll fit your collection well.

Here are a few 1895-O quarters...

• Options

Freshening the thread... here is another recent newp picked up reasonably. A 1903-O Barber Dime in about AU from the raw:

• T

• Options

Has anyone received their Winter copy of the BCCS Journal yet? I heard they were mailed a couple of weeks ago.

• Options

Not yet.

@JeffMTampa said:
    Has anyone received their Winter copy of the BCCS Journal yet? I heard they were mailed a couple of weeks ago.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took forever to find this thread.

Just to bump to page 1.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oldie, but goodie, PC50:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Oldie, but goodie, PC50:

Very nice Vern!

• Options

Dr. Pete had a phenomenal collection. Helluva nice guy, too!

Here's a new purchase from a new friend. ANACS 61. I grade AU-58. Thanks, Todd! (His photos)

• Options

Not Here Either. I hope everything is alright.

@JeffMTampa said:

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

A bit of Sunday morning work. Hi everyone.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2021 3:44PM

What brought you out from under your rock? Long time no see! o:)

@PonyExpress8 said:

A bit of Sunday morning work. Hi everyone.

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Hey, Just been working and building the business, along with laying low for a lot of months. It has been a long time but alive, well and busy.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options

Good to hear! I can't imagine being on the W coast with all the Covid crap, although I'm basically living my life the same here in Ga. Glad I'm a homeboy! Covid's starting to get pretty bad here also.

@PonyExpress8 said:
    Hey, Just been working and building the business, along with laying low for a lot of months. It has been a long time but alive, well and busy.

• Options

Sorry, Glenn. That does not qualify as work around here! Hope all is well!!!

Here's one to make Tim drool. For my variety collection, a common date but look at the reverse STATES... PC-45...
    (This is the best example of the "Filled S's" that I've seen. You'll see them from time to time, but not like this one!)

• Options

@paesan said:
    Sorry, Glenn. That does not qualify as work around here! Hope all is well!!!

Here's one to make Tim drool. For my variety collection, a common date but look at the reverse STATES... PC-45...
    (This is the best example of the "Filled S's" that I've seen. You'll see them from time to time, but not like this one!)

• Options

For tonight, a pair of 1895-S quarters, raw EF. Photos courtesy Barberkeys.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2021 11:17PM

To follow-up the previously shared '03-O dime, here is a 1905-S dime from the same source:

• Tim

• Options

After a year or two, I finally finished my macro camera set-up. Here is one of the first fruits... an 1894-O dime in NGC XF45.

@JeffMTampa is helping me identify the right lighting techniques.

• Tim

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like your set up and images Tim! LMK when you get tired of the dime too!

• Options

Nice pics Tim. Nice toughie also.

Vern
    l
  • Options

@erwindoc said:

Jason, Get this... I was looking at the cost of Kaiser copy stands and couldn't bring myself to spending the $900. to $1000 or whatever for one of those. Being a foolhardy (at times) engineer by trade, I told myself I could make one at a much lower cost. With some upfront design, and using a little bit of what I had around the house, I came up with what I have in the picture. This is "Draft 1" of the design. I already have improvements in mind for a revised version.

Second picture is my YN and a few of the coins we have been asked to review by a friend of mine. The collection is so massive we are just about reaching the end of the 3rd day here per the picture and getting close to maybe 50% of all of it. My favorite so far is an AU58 to low-end uncirculated 1884-S Morgan. Unfortunately, just about everything is represented except for Barbers! there are only a few, worn Barbers in the batch. Many Morgan's including rare dates! in nice grades even! but no Barbers really.

Note the lighting is crude. Something I grabbed from around the house... in reality, will need to invest in an LED two-light set and study more about the best photo editing capabilities.

• Tim

• Options

Covid Wary lamps? :#

@sedulous said:

@erwindoc said:

Jason, Get this... I was looking at the cost of Kaiser copy stands and couldn't bring myself to spending the $900. to $1000 or whatever for one of those. Being a foolhardy (at times) engineer by trade, I told myself I could make one at a much lower cost. With some upfront design, and using a little bit of what I had around the house, I came up with what I have in the picture. This is "Draft 1" of the design. I already have improvements in mind for a revised version.

Second picture is my YN and a few of the coins we have been asked to review by a friend of mine. The collection is so massive we are just about reaching the end of the 3rd day here per the picture and getting close to maybe 50% of all of it. My favorite so far is an AU58 to low-end uncirculated 1884-S Morgan. Unfortunately, just about everything is represented except for Barbers! there are only a few, worn Barbers in the batch. Many Morgan's including rare dates! in nice grades even! but no Barbers really.

Note the lighting is crude. Something I grabbed from around the house... in reality, will need to invest in an LED two-light set and study more about the best photo editing capabilities.

• Tim
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@erwindoc said:

• Tim

That is a massive undertaking!

• Options

Has anyone seen their BCCS Winter Journal? They were mailed prior to Christmas.

• Options

LOL Jeff...seems your having major withdrawal...still haven't received mine.

@JeffMTampa said:

• Options

I don't have any newps to post- I feel compelled to comment on something.....

• Options
    DarrellDarrell Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Maybe you can post my new coin for me as I have forgotten how to post photos. It is PCGS cert. #19806534.
    Click view it in CoinFacts to see the photos that look just like the coin looks in person.

• Options

@Darrell said:
    Maybe you can post my new coin for me as I have forgotten how to post photos. It is PCGS cert. #19806534.
    Click view it in CoinFacts to see the photos that look just like the coin looks in person.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darrell That's a really nice looker! Thanks to Tim for getting it out here for us to admire.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2021 2:20PM

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff, I reached out to John Frost. Here is his comment on the matter:

"Thanks Tim. Yes, they have been in the mail for several weeks. With the USPS backlog, printed matter such as club journals are taking up to a month or more to arrive. Some people are starting to receive them just this week! My LSCC Gobrecht Journal took over a month! Hopefully the USPS can get straightened out soon. Thanks! John Frost"

UPDATE: Wow, soon after my post, I received my BCCS Journal.

• Options

Congratulations Milo, on having the #1 everyman registry set of barber quarters. Here's one from it, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2021 11:14PM

Persistence pays off Milo! You along with Lenny, Vern, Doug, and others (also not forgetting the additional help from all of your close dealer numismatic relationships) have really surfaced one of the best sets ever seen. Really a great job! - Tim

Here is the link: https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/everyman-collections/everyman-twenty-cents-quarters/everyman-barber-quarters-1892-1916/publishedset/141029

@barberkeys said:
    Congratulations Milo, on having the #1 everyman registry set of barber quarters. Here's one from it, PC58:

• Options

Vern and Tim, thank you. I would be nowhere with my collection without my BQ buddies, especially Lenny. As Vern would say, what a great hobby!!

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options

B)

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    B)

You got it- congrats!

• Options

Yeap and my BCCS journal arived in the mail today.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@Darrell said:

Here's it's Denver cousin

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

I probably posted this earlier.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    DarrellDarrell Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Nice 1907 D Eldorado. I assume you know Joe O'Connor too.
    I once owned the Byers 1907D MS 66 which is also a nice coin.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darrell said:
    Nice 1907 D Eldorado. I assume you know Joe O'Connor too.
    I once owned the Byers 1907D MS 66 which is also a nice coin.

Love your 1907...Very special piece. Been a client of Joe's since early 90's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file