Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dan's Yaz pickups

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    you refer to him as THE MAN in your title.

he does capture the essence of Musial. working class hero and deserving of so much respect.

as a fellow Yaz fan across the map, i applaud your fantastic day.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Dan. I bet you were over the moon. I'd like to meet a couple of my heroes someday, will have to wait a while...
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great sig and seems like a pretty nice guy, if only he would have smiled for some of the pics image

Congrats again on finally getting to meet him!
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Great story. Glad everything turned out so well. A few of the legends I have met could/could have learned a lesson or two from Yaz on how to treat people.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Glad you were able to meet your idol image
  • Options

<< <i>Great story. Glad everything turned out so well. A few of the legends I have met could/could have learned a lesson or two from Yaz on how to treat people. >>

Well to be perfectly accurate, he wasn't super outgoing, but he was pleasant and polite.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I have been to 2 or 3 Yaz signings over the years. Never smiled once.

Dan- loved the pictures of you and the boys with him

Even though he wasn't smiling--at least he wasn't smoking a Marlboro--like he was at a signing I had him at many years ago--
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    First time I met Yaz was in the Sox clubhouse in 1979 or 80. (My cousin worked, and still works for the Sox) Back then he could let me in the clubhouse after the 3rd inning or so to hang out, eat and help run errands and stuff. I was 12 and in heaven of course.

Anyway, Yaz was sitting in his directors chair smoking a cigarette. His chair even had a built in ashtray LOL
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Dan and thanks for sharing the signed cards and that cool 76 looking commemorative card.

Awesome stuff!
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Awesome that you got to meet carl michael yastrzemski dan!!

Why arent you going to post the pics that he took with you and your boys??

Would love to see them!!
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you and your boys were able to meet one of your heroes. Very happy that it went so well. Nice looking autos too!
    Steve
  • Options
    My newest addition. As you know, I love stickers. This one is a huge upgrade for me, because the raw copy I owned had a giant green fish eye completely covering Carl's face. Bonus: there are only 3 graded higher:

That makes 23 graded items in my Yaz Master Set, all of them added in 2014.
    Edited to add: I know my scanner sucks
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a cool looking sticker.
  • Options
    Post the fisheye version if you have a scan.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your last pickup Dan.

New one on me. Thanx.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Post the fisheye version if you have a scan. >>

OK

• Options
    That's pretty gross. Looks like he has Leprosy or something lol!
  • Options

<< <i>That's pretty gross. Looks like he has Leprosy or something lol! >>

Thinking the same thing.
    Mike
  • Options
    Big improvement. Nice, Dan!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on a nice pick up, Dan!
  • Options
    Congrats on the huge upgrade!
  • Options
    Thanks fellas! There has been some outcry lately about "minutiae", but this thread seems to have a decent number of followers, so it's one I plan to keep going. Speaking of which, got one coming in the mail from opcbaseball.com , a little Black Friday purchase for myself. Will post when in hand.
  • Options
    Some new additions today. First, these 2 Kellogg's cards, a surprise Christmas gift from vintagefun. Thanks again Jim! Please excuse the crappy photo. That's 1982 on the left and 83 on the right. As I've mentioned before, I love oddball and food issues. Kellogg's are big favorites of mine.

Also received this in the mail today. Bought it at opcbaseball.com at a hell of a price and picked up a PSA 8 of the same card for my 8 year old for Christmas image He told Santa he wanted his "first graded card, maybe a Yaz." How could Santa say no? Here's my 9. Thanks Tom!

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, Dan! I love the OPC!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWEET!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice, Dan! I love the OPC! >>

Thanks! The photo doesn't do justice to the SWEET rough cut on this one. If you like 'em rough, this is the card for you.
  • Options
    Very nice additions!
  • Options
    The Yaz card looks great slabbed.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice additions. Yaz always looks so serious in his pics, yet on the 1983 Kellogs, he's almost cracking a smile image
  • Options
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Great additions to your collection Dan! I'm sure your son is going to love his card!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Saw this over on Heritage, not sure if you need it.

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Thanks Nate, I do need that one, only have its Topps twin.... But I don't think I could live with those fisheyes.
  • Options
    Here is my newest addition, bought from board member Topps29. I had several raw copies of this card, but none that are this sharp. Thanks Gary!

Also in today's mail was a Christmas gift from LarkinCollector. Kyle has been a tremendous friend to me in my time on the boards. The gift included these:

"Spectrum Diamond Club," some sort of promotional cards. I don't know much about them, but I think it's a really sexy card design!

But that wasn't all folks! Also in that package from Kyle was the real gem of today's mail day, to be shown off in the Gino Cappelletti thread.
  • Options
    That's a nicely centered 9.
    Those Spectrum cards look like the unlicensed type cards that came out during the early 90's. Lots of those are pretty cool to look at while others are quite hideous.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous 9 Dan! That's a beaut. Nice pickup
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options

<< <i>That's a nicely centered 9. >>

+1

<< <i>Those Spectrum cards look like the unlicensed type cards that came out during the early 90's. Lots of those are pretty cool to look at while others are quite hideous. >>

They are licensed by the 'Major League Baseball Players Alumni' and the Bench and Kaline promos from that set have been graded. No Yaz yet.

Back pic:
  • Options
    Thanks fellas. I have an even better card coming hopefully this week that I bought from a board member, so stay tuned!

Kyle, those cards are awesome and it was really nice of you to include one for my 8 year old. I don't usually sub Yaz cards that are post-retirement, but this one is so sharp that I'll probably use it and my Perez-Steele Yaz postcards to round out a sub someday. Thanks again!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That's a nicely centered 9. >>

+1

<< <i>Those Spectrum cards look like the unlicensed type cards that came out during the early 90's. Lots of those are pretty cool to look at while others are quite hideous. >>

They are licensed by the 'Major League Baseball Players Alumni' and the Bench and Kaline promos from that set have been graded. No Yaz yet.
    >>

Ah ok. So licensed by the MLBPAA but not by MLB which explains the lack of team logos.
  • Options

<< <i>

They are licensed by the 'Major League Baseball Players Alumni' and the Bench and Kaline promos from that set have been graded. No Yaz yet. >>

I looked in the Beckett Almanac and it lists other Spectrum sets, but not Spectrum Diamond Club or any related promos. Quick Google didn't reveal anything either. Does anybody know more about this set, like how they were distributed?
  • Options
    My newest addition to my Yaz master set (and also basic and basic Topps).

I love the oddball items, but it feels good too when I add one of his main issues, especially from the first half of his career. To be honest, this isn't the strongest 8; slight tilt and a soft bottom left corner. But it's still nicer than any 7's I've seen and I got it at a fantastic price. Good addition to the graded portion of my Yaz collection.
  • Options
    Great card Daniel! Nicely centered as well!

I see why you were itchin' to get that into your sets.
  • Options
    Great card Daniel! Nicely centered as well!

I see why you were itchin' to get that into your sets.
  • Options
    Wow a 34 minute dp. That has to be a record haha
  • Options

<< <i>Wow a 34 minute dp. That has to be a record haha >>

Still setting them up I see image

Congrats on the new Yaz!
  • Options
    Matt, how long does your DP usually take?
  • Options
    imageimage

I got this McFarlane figure of Yaz for Christmas from my wife and sons, in addition to some cards. I've always really admired the detail in these figurines and am really happy that my first one is Yaz. Apparently this is part of a limited Cooperstown edition, but there was no way I wasn't opening it.
  • Options
    The figure found a home on some shelves in my office. Please excuse the hideous yellow walls. The room was a baby nursery for the previous owners.

• Options
    That's a good looking McFarlane Dan - well done.

Also, very nice 70T pickup also - you've been adding some nice stuff to your Yaz collection - congratulations.

I'm quite partial to the other than card stuff BTW.
    Mike