Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dan's Yaz pickups

Comments

• Options
    Lol maybe in a bit. I've only got 37 graded Yaz cards, but I've got 250-300 raw cards, plus a variety of autographed memorabilia. Also figurines, programs, posters, pennants......

But you're right. That would be a sweet photo. Maybe when I reach a milestone like 5000th post, or 100% on his basic Topps run, or something. Thanks for the idea.
  • Options
    Seems you would be a prime candidate for that Beckett monthly thing. They have it in the 4 sport monthly magazine if you haven't seen one. No idea though what they would say if you give them a pictures of a bunch of PSA cards though ?
  • Options
    Nah, I'm not even in the top 20 master sets...... YET. Manny has the #1 set and a lot of Yaz unopened too. He'd be the guy for that spot.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez Dan - I forgot to comment on your latest.

That's a really nice 79T - well centered.

I used to think that finding a well centered '79 was like pulling a diamond out'a goats ass. image
    Mike
  • Options
    Man, the hits keep on coming, and so too does the board generosity! Total surprise package arrived today from Jim (vintagefun). As I said to him privately, I don't know what I've ever done to deserve his continued generosity, but it is much appreciated. Jim also included something for each of my sons. I haven't unwrapped them (I'll let them do it), but they appear to be packs of cards. Very cool gesture. Here's the card he sent me

This is the first Donruss I've added to my Yaz basic set, which is pretty cool in itself. Thanks again Jim!
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Jim is a great guy Dan. I had the pleasure of talking with him at last year's National. Extremely nice gesture Jim and great addition to your collection Dan. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! 81 Donruss was the first complete set I owned as a kid. Brings back some good memories for sure.

Btw, Jim is a Cowboys fan. What did you expect other than ultimate coolness?? image
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Dan - I'm always happy to help out where I can and I have a tremendous amount of respect for you Master Set Collectors. This board has bestowed a lot of generosity my way, and while I can't always pay back those who have helped me, I can pay it forward where possible, with the hope that the cosmos will balance in the end.

Cheers to the continuing progress of your sets.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

<< <i>This board has bestowed a lot of generosity my way, and while I can't always pay back those who have helped me, I can pay it forward where possible, with the hope that the cosmos will balance in the end. >>

Well said Jim, this is what I try to do as well. When I can't pay back, I try to pay it forward in some way.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I love it: 2 of the great ones here working together (Dan and Jim). Congrats on a super card. I love the action pose.
  • Options
    Big, big pickup today.....

Very excited about this addition. This is now the oldest PSA 9 in my Yaz basic set, and one of the most valuable cards in my Yaz registry.

As always, thanks for looking.
  • Options
    Dan, that is a top-notch card: excellent centering and sharp corners. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Nice get Dan! Congrats!
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME pickup Dan. Enjoy it!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks, gents, I'm thrilled!
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice 'n minty fresh! image
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet looking Yaz. Dan! Congrats!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice '72. I've always really liked that card.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Dan. That is definitely a major pick up! Very strong 9 and a great looking card.
    Steve
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I've said before, I love me some 72s. Congrats on a huge addition!
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Nice '72. Mine is but an 8 & nowhere near that quality.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    That '72 is a beaut! Congrats Dan!!!
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan:

Saw this interview with Yaz's grandson and wasn't sure if you knew he is an above average prospect in the Orioles Farm system. Perhaps you may want to start collecting his cards as well:

Yaz's Grandson Interview

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    IMF, yes, I did know about Yaz's grandson. I probably won't seek out a lot of his cards, but it would be cool to get a signed one. Maybe he has a Bowman Chrome?

OK, so the edited thread title is a little misleading. This latest addition isn't my first PSA 10, but IT IS my first YAZ 10. Very happy to get my first gem of my favorite player! Here it is:

• Options

<< <i>IT IS my first YAZ 10. >>

Congratulations Dan!
    Mike
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Awesome card Dan! Congratulations. Self-subbed or did you purchase?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Very nice card. Looks every bit worthy of the grade. Good stuff. Always nice to see steady progress on that set.
  • Options
    Purchased, for a great price!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Dan ... Congrats on your first YAZ "10". If his grandson does make it to the bigs, how awesome would it be for YAZ to watch his grandson play at Fenway? Yaz may be a Red Sox man, but I still am a fan of my fellow Long Islander!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Dan, congrats on the Gem. It is a really cool card.
  • Options
    How ironic is it to see Yaz play in front of a sparse crowd @ Fenway?

Congrats!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

How ironic is it to see Yaz play in front of a sparse crowd @ Fenway?

I bet it was raining.. everyone seems to be under the upperdeck in the background
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Looking good Dan. I believe that Yaz's son Mike was once a minor league player.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options

<< <i>Looking good Dan. I believe that Yaz's son Mike was once a minor league player. >>

Yes he was. And Michael is Carl's middle name.

Edited to add: thanks for the kind words fellas!

I currently have 7 more yaz items at PSA, so hopefully there will be more additions soon.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    That card is Yaztastic! I remember pulling that card as a kid. There was a local convenience store literally 6 houses away from my friend's house. Him and I would take turns spending a week at a time at each other's house during summer break. I would buy pack after pack of 82 fleer from the store and have to hide them from the summer rains under my shirt while walking back to his house. Good times!
  • Options
    Nice looking Yaz pickup. A classic look of an all-time great Red Sox. 3000 thousands games and I wonder what he was thinking as he acknowledged the crowd. Congrats on your first Yaz. 10.
  • Options
    Hiya Dan

I just wanted to show you a game by Pressman Corp. that you might like to add to your Yaz collection.

I bought this one on ebay some years ago - I waited till I found one with a fairly nice box.

Notice it has a really nice "fax" sign on the lower left. It would be nice to have him autograph the box on this one!
    Mike
  • Options
    That game is really cool, something I hadn't seen before. Were there playing cards with that game?
  • Options

<< <i>That game is really cool, something I hadn't seen before. Were there playing cards with that game? >>

No Dan - this is strictly an action game.

The game also comes with Seaver and Maris (the first) and a generic version.
    Mike
  • Options
    Awesome, I love the cover!
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your first Yaz 10. Hope you get a bunch more.
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That game is really cool, something I hadn't seen before. Were there playing cards with that game? >>

No Dan - this is strictly an action game.

The game also comes with Seaver and Maris (the first) and a generic version. >>

That's funny that they depict Yaz as a right handed hitter; were all the versions set up that way?

IMF
  • Options
    I hadn't caught that. He's lefty on the cover. I'm guessing all games had the "batter" as a righty.
  • Options
    Congrats on the first Yaz 10 and that game is awesome!
  • Options
    Thanks Kyle for the congrats and Mike for sharing the game.

Forgot to mention, this makes 40 items in my master set. Looking forward to hitting the 50 mark!
  • Options
    Put another significant dent in my Yaz basic Topps run:

Very happy with this one. While I'm always happy to add any item to the Yaz master set, I've been trying lately to emphasize his basic Topps run, especially the first half of it. This PSA 7 fits nicely, I think.
  • Options
    Dan that is a nice looking PSA 7. Some seriously sharp looking corners. Congrats.
  • Options
    Dan, congrats on a truly crisp 1966 Yaz. It truly looks like it came straight out of a pack.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup on the '66 Dan! That's a beaut!
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    Wow, you said you were chasing a 7, but that card is super clean and sharp! Other than the L/R centering, which I know doesn't bother you, it's a 9.