Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dan's Yaz pickups

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Super card Dan.

Is that a great shot of Yaz or what?! >>

I agree! This "card" is not valuable at all, but aesthetically it's one of my favorite Yaz items. Terrific photo and cool perforated "stamp" edges. There's another Yaz in the same set that I can't wait to get.

If I have one complaint, that facsimile is not Yaz's auto. But I don't really care.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of nice additions Danielson! Love the 81 Topps. It displays nicely in the slab.
  • Options

<< <i>Lots of nice additions Danielson! Love the 81 Topps. It displays nicely in the slab. >>

Thanks! I've picked up quite a bit during your sabbatical image
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Just caught up on this threat. Great pick-ups! The 1969 looks like a 6 or better to me.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Just got these back from California. I'm thrilled about the 62 Topps; that's a really tough card! And I know I'm biased, but I think the 71 Topps is high end for the grade. I was hoping for a 7 on that one.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    71 looks good Dan image
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Nice additions Dan image
  • Options
    Thanks fellas
  • Options
    Very nice, Dan! Great additions.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Dan, it's fun to watch the progress of your Yaz set.
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I had seen the 71 Dell before.....very nice! I agree, the 71 Topps card looks sweet too.

When is your day with Captain Carl?
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think I had seen the 71 Dell before.....very nice! I agree, the 71 Topps card looks sweet too.

When is your day with Captain Carl? >>

In only 13 days! Nov 15th.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups! Those 71s seem so tough with the all-black borders.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice pickups! Those 71s seem so tough with the all-black borders. >>

+1
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pickups Dan.

I especially like the 71T - very nice 6.
    Mike
  • Options
    Nice Montana! I pulled that card as a kid and have always liked it.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Get any new cards yet Dan? >>

Funny you ask, Matt. Indeed I did!

First, this addition to my Yaz master set, bought from board member cpettimd. Really sharp card, I think. Bumped me up a spot in the rankings, for whatever that's worth. I think the cartoon on the back is cool too.

imageimage

In the same deal I picked up this 1968 Topps checklist from Chris. Will probably sub it in the future.

In case you didn't know, there are 2 variations of this card, with different text in the ad in the bottom back. I'm happy to now own both. The other is a PSA 6.

imageimage

Edited to change a photo. Replaced a fuzzy scan of the back of #192 "B" with a crisper photo of one belonging to board member bishop.

I buy modern Yaz cards too, whenever I find them cheap enough, but don't typically post them here unless they're autographs or relics. However my latest purchase from COMC included this one, which I think is kinda (sorta) cool. Apparently it was a wrapper redemption, which I wasn't sure Topps did anymore.

The scan is kinda screwy. Instead of looking like gold foil, it looks like camo. Weird.

Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nice additions Dan. Enjoy the cards.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I think the back of the 70T Yaz is too cool Dan.

If the original pen & ink artwork came up at Toppsvault, it would go for some really righteous bucks!

Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Today was the big day, and my sons and I left Vermont at 7:30 am, headed for Burlington, Mass. I had prepaid for our autograph tickets. When we picked them up, we were shocked and thrilled to learn our tickets were 001, 002, 003, meaning we were among the first few in line. While we were in line, we met a nice man named Jim, and his wife. He showed us a 1967 (Time?) magazine with Yaz on the cover that they were going to get signed. He was talking about being at the dedication of the Yaz statue outside Fenway on 9/22/2013. He reached into his bag and pulled out 3 copies of a team-issued card given out that day. Here is my copy:

Obviously a nod to '76 Topps. I think it's really cool looking and I like the watermark under the bio on the back.

Chatting helped pass the time and then they called us in, earlier than expected, to line up to meet the legend. Here are a couple of photos I snapped while waiting in line:

Then it was our turn to meet him. We didn't have much time with him, but I got to shake his hand and tell him it was an honor to meet him. Didn't blurt out "I'm your biggest fan!' because probably most of the people in the room would say the same thing. Most importantly, he took a photo (OK, several) with me and my sons. I won't post those here, but I'm thrilled to have them! Then he signed our cards. Mine was the '69 Topps shown earlier in this thread. My 11 year old got him to sign an '81 Topps and my 8 year old had him sign a '70 Topps. I think they all came out great!

The signing wasn't cheap, so I wasn't really eager to spend any more money. But just a couple of days ago I'd been dismayed to find that a pennant I picked up at Fenway in 2001 now had mildew stains on it. So when, by coincidence, they were selling new, clean copies of the pennant for only 5 bucks, I was more than happy to pick up a replacement:

So that was how I spent my Saturday morning! Thanks for reading along. I was thrilled to meet my childhood hero, to create these memories with my sons (they went bananas!) and I'm very pleased with my signed card. Thanks again!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats Dan ... what can be better than meeting your childhood hero ... and do it with your kids!!!!!!

BTW ... is your mom from Long Island?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    That's a terrific story you and the kids will always remember. Thank you for sharing! I'm so happy for you and everyone else there that he took the time to meet and sign for fans. I met Yaz once and will never forget it. I never met Ted Williams but think of the people that did and the memories they cherish.

I love it!
    - Scott
  • Options
    Always cool to hear about us kids getting to meet or idols. Congrats!
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    Thanks fellas, definitely one of the greatest experiences of my life, and certainly of the past few years!

Dougie Fresh: my Mom was born in Fall River, Mass, and spent her childhood between there and Little Compton, RI. However, when her mom remarried, they moved to the Lake Ronkonkoma area of L.I. and that's where she graduated from high school. My mom's Mass/Rhody accent, mixed with a New Yawker accent, and sprinkled with Portuguese intonations (her mom was an immigrant) all make something you need to hear to believe.
  • Options
    Hiya Dan

Wow - great story - thanx for sharing it!

Is that your copy of the Yaz statue day commemorative card? It's a beauty.

He did a great job in signing - it's one of the nice ones in the game.
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike, you're right on 2 counts. Yes, that's my copy of the commemorative card. My sons each got copies that are very sharp too.

And yes, the sigs are beautiful. He really took care with each item and took his time signing and I really appreciated that.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on what appears to have been a great day!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, Dan! Nice story meeting one of your favorites. I mailed a 78 Topps for that signing. I cant wait to get it back! Love the cards you had done.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Nothing better than waiting in line with the kids for autos, the stories
    alone while waiting and seeing there antisipation of being next are memories
    I have truly cherished over the years. Gonna be tough to beat this Saturdayimage
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Dan! The sigs look very clear and sharp!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Barry, I expect you'll be VERY pleased when you receive your card. Like I said, he took a lot of time and care with our items. Can't wait to get mine slabbed!!
  • Options
    Great pics Dan!

Way better than the ones you took of him while hiding in the bushes outside his house.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Congrats creating new memories with your sons, Dan! The autographs are beautiful.
  • Options

<< <i>The autographs are beautiful. >>

+1
  • Options

<< <i>Great pics Dan!

Way better than the ones you took of him while hiding in the bushes outside his house. >>

Wait, I only look at those when I'm home, late at night! The only way you could know about them is if YOU were hiding in the bushes outside MY house!!

Thanks again, guys, for the congratulations. Big day.

Edited to add: I love the write up on the back of that 2013 card. It summarizes why I and most of New England love Yaz. He wasn't just a ball player. He's an icon. He sparked a fever that's still raging almost 50 years later and he personified commitment, work ethic and effort every day for those 23 years.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Great pics Dan!

Way better than the ones you took of him while hiding in the bushes outside his house. >>

Wait, I only look at those when I'm home, late at night! The only way you could know about them is if YOU were hiding in the bushes outside MY house! >>

It's too cold for that up there Dan. I'd freeze standing outside your window.

I'll be thinking of you when I take the kids to the beach tomorrow image

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm extremely glad for you Dan. Perseverance and dedication in your pursuit of Yaz memorabilia paid off big time.
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer and more respectful guy. image
  • Options
    Great story
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see your idol lived up to your expectations.image
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    The autographs look like they came out looking great! Congrats! Those are some nice cards and an even nicer memory!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWEET!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice signature of Yaz!

Shane

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    YeeHaw!!! Good stuff Dan!!! Very special being able to share those moments with your kids...and dare I say for at least a few minutes, you were likely more of a kid than they were.

Congrats!
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

<< <i>for at least a few minutes, you were likely more of a kid than they were. >>

This is absolutely true! Just ask Matt, who has seen the group photos not shown here. I wonder if I smiled that much on my honeymoon image
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Dan!!

The signatures look great
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>for at least a few minutes, you were likely more of a kid than they were. >>

This is absolutely true! Just ask Matt, who has seen the group photos not shown here. I wonder if I smiled that much on my honeymoon image >>

Yes I can vouch for that haha