Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dan's Yaz pickups

Comments

• Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422

<< <i>I do have 3 Yaz autographed cards from when I met him once. They aren't worth any grade but I would like them slabbed.....

I love what you are doing here Dan! >>

Thanks. I'm jealous! I would LOVE to meet Yaz! I'm afraid I'm running out of time. Meant to write in the other thread that your 4 player panel is awesome with Yaz, Rice and Winfield!!
  • Options
    Dan... Keep the Yaz pictures coming.

Thanks so much for sharing your collection.
    Collect Brooks Robinson and unique O's items
  • Options

<< <i>Dan... Keep the Yaz pictures coming.

Thanks so much for sharing your collection. >>

OK, at your request here's one last gem image Crappy picture, awesome card. I've had this one about 6 months, which is before I obtained my first graded Yaz

• Options
    Pickups from the past week.....

1970 Topps Super, bought from Steve Wilk. MC and PD, but the price was great. I didn't have any experience with Topps Supers, and I'm thrilled to add this to the collection. Next....

This was mentioned in my vacation pickups thread. When I first got it home, I was thinking I'd sub it with a great chance at a PSA 6. After closer examination, I think the bottom corners keep it from that grade, so I'll probably keep it raw. Does the board concur?
  • Options

This is the piece I'm most excited about! I sold a bunch of 1974 cards to pay for this purchase and I'm beyond excited to have it. I don't have any Yaz 10's and this is my oldest PSA 9. It's my 8th graded Yaz I've added in the past 5 months and this one bumped me up one spot on the registry (still only 29th though).
  • Options
    I love the Topps decal set. I think it's one of those oddball things that few actually appreciate and treasure.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan, Nice pickups. I've always been a big Yaz fan growing up in Maine. I hope you don't mine showing a picture of Yaz from 1980. My dad took this picture of Yaz at the plate against the California Angels in July. Unfortunately Yaz went 0-4 that game, but at the age of 10 he was bigger then life to me.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Wow, awesome photo. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Here are photos of my other graded Yaz cards that haven't been included in this thread yet.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

And this is a rare blank back proof version of Yaz's card from the 1974 Red Sox yearbook:

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Andre Tippett does not approve of this thread.
  • Options
    I love the Papa Gino's! I remember that from when I was a kid and need to pick one up sometime soon!

Great items!
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice collection Dan. Gotta love anyone from Long Island. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>I love the Papa Gino's! >>

Me too! Mike, my mom went to h.s. on Lon Gisland too image 'cause that's how it's pronounced!
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! I just landed a nicely centered 71 PSA 7. I've been on a bit of a Yaz run myself lately. And what is the deal with that 1960? That is way mo betta than a 2!!! I say that's a resub unless there is something that is obvious, but not seen in the scan.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Unfortunately, there is a small crease in the top left corner, through the "s" in "Sport." But I was hoping for a 4, or at least a 3.
  • Options
    Dan,

I've really enjoyed viewing your Yaz collection; really appreciate you posting the pictures of your pickups. As a fellow single player collector it's really cool to view all the different items of a player. Personally I don't care if some of the cards are lower grade, they still look AWESOME!
    Collect Brooks Robinson and unique O's items
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Andre Tippett does not approve of this thread. >>

+1 image

I see a lot of items that look a lot nicer than their technical grade here.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the Papa Gino's! I remember that from when I was a kid and need to pick one up sometime soon! >>

I remember the Summer of 1978 at the Marshfield Papa Gino's, getting a stack of those discs.
    Who knew to save them when you're 10 years old, not me.
  • Options
    More board generosity, and I'm sure I don't deserve it. Received these from LittleTweed today:

Those last 3 are all OPC. Pretty cool. Thanks a million!
  • Options
    Also received this eBay purchase in the mail today.

2 days ago I had 8 items in my Yaz master set. In the past 2 days I've added 8 more! Starting a 1974 Topps Red Sox registry too, since I have this and a PSA red flip Bernie Carbo autographed
  • Options
    Finished adding all my new items to my registry inventory. This week I have moved up 5 spots in the rankings for the Yaz master set, up to 24th, by far my highest ranking yet!

But of the 16 Yaz items I have, only 2 of them fit the basic set composite, so I'm lagging way behind there. Oh well, the master set is MORE FUN!
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff Dan!!

• Options
    Thanks! I say this all the time, but you have the best sig on these boards. Have to say, a close second is the guy with the college girls at football games with cleavage galore.
  • Options
    Also received in yesterday's mail were 1968 Topps All Star cards of Carew, H.Aaron and G.Alley. I purchased them from board member Statman for a great price. Why is this significant? On the backs were the last 3 "pieces" I needed to complete a Yaz puzzle. Here is the finished product:

The pieces are:
    Aaron, Morgan
    Killebrew, Yaz
    Santo, Carew
    B.Robinson, Fregosi
    Alley, Cepeda

Taking a photo of this finished puzzle inspired me to take pics of my completed 69 and 72 Yaz puzzles, which I've never gotten around to. Those are coming up next....
  • Options
    1969 Yaz puzzle, also on the backs of All Star cards, as follows:
    McCovey, B.Robinson
    Harrelson, Kessinger
    Helms, Campaneris
    Carew, Rose
    Santo, Yaz

• Options
    ...and the 72 puzzle. This one is on the backs of "In Action" cards.
    Sadecki, Odom
    Rose, Kirkpatrick
    Santo, Cardenas
    This one is my favorite of the 3 puzzles, even though it's only 6 pieces, not 10.

Thanks guys, it was a lot of work to track down these 26 cards, and I owe thanks to many board members for selling or trading most of them to me. I hope you enjoyed looking at these.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Dan

That puzzle is wicked! A beauty.

I've watched your collection grow - it's nothing short of spectacular. Thanx for sharing. The player collectors here have some really astounding dedication...I like it! image
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, that's very kind of you, but I wouldn't say my collection is "spectacular" by any means. It's a drop in the bucket compared to somebody like Manny, or JoeBanzai's Killebrew registry. Those guys are my collecting heroes!
  • Options
    Love the 82 Coke card. Some of my favorite cards are odd issues like that.
  • Options

<< <i>Love the 82 Coke card. Some of my favorite cards are odd issues like that. >>

Mine too, stickers and the like. That's why I have 14 items in my master set that don't fit the basic set lol. Love the oddball stuff, scratch offs, pins, food issues. Great stuff. Thanks for the kind words. And I'm surprised that the football player collector isn't harassing me in my baseball thread like usual image

Edited to add: I really owe Kyle (LarkinCollector) a debt of gratitude. It was his thread on player collections a few months back that inspired me to pursue these puzzles and he traded me large portions of the 69 and 72 puzzles to get me started. His Larkin and Rose collections are really comprehensive and, like i said, they've inspired me to chase things like this.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Mike, that's very kind of you, but I wouldn't say my collection is "spectacular" by any means. It's a drop in the bucket compared to somebody like Manny, or JoeBanzai's Killebrew registry. Those guys are my collecting heroes! >>

I hear ya Dan.

However, from my POV, I measure the breadth of a collection by the collector rather than it's size/worth if ya know what I mean?

We've had people here passionate about a new issue and that's not only contagious but noteworthy.
    Mike
  • Options

Hiya Dan - just wondering - do you have this empty box in your collection or want-list?
    Mike
  • Options
    Wow, that's some star power! What product was in that box?
  • Options

<< <i> And I'm surprised that the football player collector isn't harassing me in my baseball thread like usual image >>

I have no idea what you are talking about image
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that's some star power! What product was in that box? >>

That's a 1969 Topps Baseball empty wax box Dan.
    Mike
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Great pick-ups Dan. I love the OPC!

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Had been looking forward to seeing the puzzles completed. Thanks for posting Dan.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, that's some star power! What product was in that box? >>

That's a 1969 Topps Baseball empty wax box Dan. >>

Wow that's sweet, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Great pickups Dan
    Thanks for sharing - this is the way to do player collections.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Love the 82 Coke card. Some of my favorite cards are odd issues like that. >>

Mine too, stickers and the like. That's why I have 14 items in my master set that don't fit the basic set lol. Love the oddball stuff, scratch offs, pins, food issues. Great stuff. Thanks for the kind words. And I'm surprised that the football player collector isn't harassing me in my baseball thread like usual image

Edited to add: I really owe Kyle (LarkinCollector) a debt of gratitude. It was his thread on player collections a few months back that inspired me to pursue these puzzles and he traded me large portions of the 69 and 72 puzzles to get me started. His Larkin and Rose collections are really comprehensive and, like i said, they've inspired me to chase things like this. >>

Awww, you're gonna make me blush image

Love how the Yaz collection is coming along!
  • Options
    Thanks. I love that Rose is in the background on another player's card and you snagged that one for your Rose collection.
  • Options
    Went to a card show today, found this for a buck. I wasn't there to shop, but my 11 year old was so insistent I add this to my Yaz collection that I snagged it. Besides, it was only one dollar. Kind of cool.

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Great deal. If you store it in a Mylar it will give it a very sharp appearance.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    Yaz's 3,000th hit... I still have an audio cassette from that. I was a kid at home and held my tape recorder up to the TV to capture the moment. Nice!!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Yaz's 3,000th hit... I still have an audio cassette from that. I was a kid at home and held my tape recorder up to the TV to capture the moment. Nice!!! >>

HAHA ... so funny you said that. I did the same thing the night Aaron broke THE BABE'S HR Record.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I did the same thing with the Rankin/Bass Christmas television specials in a time long ago before a VCR was in every home. image

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    "I Wanna Be A Dentist!"
  • Options

<< <i>"I Wanna Be A Dentist!" >>

Haven't I told you about bumbles? Bumbles bounce!
  • Options
    This is my latest addition, bought from board member Baez578 for a great price.