Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Dan's Yaz pickups

Comments

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I always liked the design of the 1981 Topps Baseball set. Congratulations Dan.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Hiya Dan - just wondering - do you have this empty box in your collection or want-list? >>

Or this one?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hiya Dan - just wondering - do you have this empty box in your collection or want-list? >>

Or this one? >>

Wow, you guys have some great stuff! Very cool!
  • Options
    A couple of items to share. First, this addition to my master set, purchased from board member BKritz:

Earlier this week, due to the great generosity of another board member, gonzer, I obtained slips of paper with 27 MLB autographs on them. Greg obtained them all in person at Anaheim's stadium in the early 80s. Of course, my favorite is the Yaz. He has a great story of Yaz sitting in the dugout during BP and Greg crawling out on the dugout roof and dangling upside down with a pen and paper as his brother held his ankles. Must have been quite the sight for Captain Carl, and it's a great story for the provenance of this auto.

I know this is a Yaz thread, but it's my thread so I make the rules image As such, I want to show off one more of the papers. Growing up in the 80s after Yaz retired, Dwight Evans ("Dewey") was my favorite Sox player. This sheet has him and HOF Jim Rice. Pretty awesome stuff.

Thanks again Greg! Folks, I've identified a lot of the autos, but there are plenty more that are unidentified. I'll be starting a separate thread and asking for help with those.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A couple of items to share. First, this addition to my master set, purchased from board member BKritz:

Earlier this week, due to the great generosity of another board member, gonzer, I obtained slips of paper with 27 MLB autographs on them. Greg obtained them all in person at Anaheim's stadium in the early 80s. Of course, my favorite is the Yaz. He has a great story of Yaz sitting in the dugout during BP and Greg crawling out on the dugout roof and dangling upside down with a pen and paper as his brother held his ankles. Must have been quite the sight for Captain Carl, and it's a great story for the provenance of this auto.

I know this is a Yaz thread, but it's my thread so I make the rules image As such, I want to show off one more of the papers. Growing up in the 80s after Yaz retired, Dwight Evans ("Dewey") was my favorite Sox player. This sheet has him and HOF Jim Rice. Pretty awesome stuff.

Thanks again Greg! Folks, I've identified a lot of the autos, but there are plenty more that are unidentified. I'll be starting a separate thread and asking for help with those. >>

Awesome additions!
  • Options
    Thanks Kyle!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Dan, I love seeing your latest additions. The Pepsi Yaz and the autos are awesome.
  • Options
    You're making real progress on that Yaz set!
  • Options
    Thanks jmaciu, I'm really enjoying your Reds thread!

Casey, you're right, I'm moving faster on it than I expected to. But it's such a competitive registry. I'm currently 26th. Been as low as 30th and as high as 24th. Not only does it seem like everybody is actively upgrading their sets, but there have been a couple of newcomers lately who have jumped into the top 15 and knocked me down. For that reason I'm focused less on my ranking and more on my score. As long as I keep improving my set month after month and year after year, I won't worry where I am in the standings. I just want to build a collection that's great on its own merits.

Just mailed out 2 vintage Yaz cards in a sub and I have tickets to meet the man on 11/15.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Very nice additions to your collection Dan. Congratulations.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Great job landing that Yaz auto. Enjoy watching the collection grow.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Love the Pepsi card. Nice
  • Options
    The generosity of board members never ceases to amaze me. I approached board member yankeesman about a trade, hoping to get some of his 2014 Topps dupes for the set I'm building. He insisted on sending me some of the ones I needed, free of charge, "just to help out a fellow collector." Nice, right? When they arrived, he'd included FOUR Yaz relic cards as "packing materials". Crazy! I'm extremely grateful and couldn't wait to add them to this thread.

As always, thanks for looking.
  • Options
    I'm bumping this once, not for me, but because I think this was such a huge gesture by yankeesman that I want to make sure people saw it and know what a great guy he is.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Those are nice! Not just that they are relics, but the cards themselves are cool. I really like that depiction on the art/bat card, where he had just finished a swing.

Hats off to yankeesman! image
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed them Dan! I've enjoyed following your thread and progress towards your set. Keep up the good work!
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    Dan, the generosity flows like a river in the boards. Those are very nice cards. Congrats.
  • Options

<< <i>Dan, the generosity flows like a river in the boards. >>

This is a wonderful community. I try to give and help where I can, but it seems like I can never catch up to the generosity I've received. Truly a bunch of terrific guys.
  • Options

<< <i>Dan, the generosity flows like a river in the boards. Those are very nice cards. Congrats. >>

+many
  • Options
    Recently picked up this raw 1969 Topps Yaz. My intention is to get it autographed at the Yaz signing I'm going to next month, and then to move it to a "red flip" PSA slab with card grade and auto authentication. Yes, I want to show off this card, but I'm also curious about people's predictions of the grade this card would receive. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

One thing I should mention is the "print defects" around his neck and his bottom hand. These plague at least 95% of the copies of this card I've seen, so I'm not sure whether they'll affect the grade.
  • Options
    Is there a blue mark on the top border? Bracketing that off, I would say 6.
  • Options
    Those dang little ink things and print dots ! Otherwise very cool card... actually very cool card despite those dang little ink things and print dots image
  • Options
    Also, around his neck and collar it looks like there are marks. Are those in my imagination, supposed to be there, or are they damage? I don't know what the original is supposed to look like.
  • Options
    wait. sorry.. backing out of this. You guys should go over to the Beckett baseball card message board. It's a much younger crowd for ya. excuse.
  • Options
    On YouTube, PSA has a 10 minute video where they explain their thinking behind each grade #. They give an example of the same card in different condition. I'm sorry I don't have the link, I'm posting this on the road. The off center on the bottom is noticeable. The top isn't so is this a miscut? A qualifier would be a huge disappointment. 8 (MC) or something like that would bother me (if it were me). Just meeting Yaz and having something signed though is going to really make you love this piece regardless of grade. "Yep, I met Yaz and he signed this, then I sent it in to be slabbed". That's a really cool story. I have 3 beat up cards from when I met Yaz in '83 that he signed and I'd love to get them graded. Keep us posted!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Also, around his neck and collar it looks like there are marks. Are those in my imagination, supposed to be there, or are they damage? I don't know what the original is supposed to look like. >>

Not your imagination. Those are there. They've been on virtually every copy of the card that I've seen though. That's what I was saying, don't know if they'll affect the grade. For instance, black print dots are so prevalent on his RC that they don't seem to hurt the grade usually.
  • Options
    And I don't think it's miscut. All the corners are 90 degrees. I just think it has some slight tilt. But I could be wrong. All opinions welcomed.
  • Options
    Tilt, thank you, that's a much better way to put it (not mis cut as I said). It's still a terrific looking card, great issue and I'm no grader :-)
  • Options
    If the blue is a pen mark, I will say PSA 4 or 6MK.
  • Options

<< <i>If the blue is a pen mark, I will say PSA 4 or 6MK. >>

If that's blue from the printing of the card (I think it is) does that mean you'd predict 6(PD)?
  • Options

<< <i>If that's blue from the printing of the card (I think it is) does that mean you'd predict 6(PD)? >>

Sorry, I really don't know enough about the set to say. PDs get graded with considerable variability...
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top scan the corners look a little soft but they look better on the bottom scan?!?!?!?!?

Centering isn't perfect but not too bad either.

Card could go as low as a 6 as high as 7.5 as long as there are no surface issues. PD's might not come into play, but if the grader doesn't know this card almost always has them you might get that qualifier.

After a brief look, card looks A LOT BETTER than the PSA 6 on ebay right now. Card should not get the qualifier, they all seem to have the same print marks. Your card doesn't look as nice as the two 8's that sold on ebay, but pretty close.

9's go for crazy money!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Top scan the corners look a little soft but they look better on the bottom scan?!?!?!?!?

Centering isn't perfect but not too bad either.

Card could go as low as a 6 as high as 7.5 as long as there are no surface issues. PD's might not come into play, but if the grader doesn't know this card almost always has them you might get that qualifier.

After a brief look, card looks A LOT BETTER than the PSA 6 on ebay right now. Card should not get the qualifier, they all seem to have the same print marks. Your card doesn't look as nice as the two 8's that sold on ebay, but pretty close.

9's go for crazy money! >>

+1, with the better scans now, a 7 wouldn't surprise me. I think the blue in the border is a PD, but not enough to get a qualifier. Is there any indentation around the blue?
  • Options

<< <i>Is there any indentation around the blue? >>

No.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is there any indentation around the blue? >>

No. >>

6 easy, 7 quite likely. Assuming Yaz doesn't mess it up while signing image
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan,

Always tough to tell from scans. I am definitely no expert on this set as I only have one card from it. The card I have is a PSA 7 and I think you're Yaz compares favorably. I think preparing yourself for a range of outcomes is a good idea. That is what I do. It helps stave off disappointment. I would say your range of outcomes could slide anywhere from 5-7.5 with a 6 or 6.5 the most likely outcomes. You must be pumped to meet Yaz for the signing. Would this be your first time meeting him or have you done other signings before? Congrats on a great card and have a blast at the signing.

Steve
    Steve
  • Options
    No, I've never met the man. Always said if I could meet one living person he would be it. Wondered if it would ever happen. The autograph will be nice, but what I'm really looking forward to is shaking his hand and taking a photo with him and my sons.

Edited to add: Steve, I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those outcomes you listed. A 4 or lower or a 5 or 6 with qualifier would disappoint me. But a 5 or higher (6 or higher preferable) with NQ would be fine. I was specifically looking for one that was a solid 6 with an outside shot at a 7. After looking at about 50 of them, this is the one I chose (thanks to Kyle for spotting it!)
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Dan, I do not see this card getting a 6 or 7.

4.5 - 5.5 at best.

Regardless, it is going to look nice signed and in a flip 3 months from now!
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking card. I can't give an educated guess on the grade since this is not a series I collect. Sounds like you've looked at a great many of them, so you are familiar with the typical characteristics.

Enjoy meeting one of the all-time greats! image
  • Options
    Dan, nice card. I know that Yaz means a lot to you. Meeting and talking to him will be awesome. No matter what the card grades, the fact that it will represent an important memory for you will mean more than any grade that the card will receive. Enjoy the signing and the card!
  • Options

<< <i>Meeting and talking to him will be awesome. No matter what the card grades, the fact that it will represent an important memory for you will mean more than any grade that the card will receive. >>

I agree with this wholeheartedly.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Card is probably a 7. The ink marks were part of the printing and has no effect as it is on all of them. Nice looking card. No idea how someone could think it is a 4-4.5. If 4s look like that, please send them all to me.
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Here is the logic behind my opinion on 4.5-5.5....

The card looks 5.5-6.5 from the scan.
    I have submitted similar cards (corners, centering, marks) feeling good about a 6-7 grade and they typically come back to me as a 4.5 - 5.5, hence, my opinion would be 4.5 - 5.5.

I guess I was trying to say, I wouldn't expect an ExMt on it, that's all.

Dan - looking forward to seeing this auto'd beauty posted sitting pretty in its holder.
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

<< <i>Dan - looking forward to seeing this auto'd beauty posted sitting pretty in its holder. >>

Me too! Thanks for the input guys.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, I've never met the man. Always said if I could meet one living person he would be it. Wondered if it would ever happen. The autograph will be nice, but what I'm really looking forward to is shaking his hand and taking a photo with him and my sons.

Edited to add: Steve, I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those outcomes you listed. A 4 or lower or a 5 or 6 with qualifier would disappoint me. But a 5 or higher (6 or higher preferable) with NQ would be fine. I was specifically looking for one that was a solid 6 with an outside shot at a 7. After looking at about 50 of them, this is the one I chose (thanks to Kyle for spotting it!) >>

Dan,

Growing up, I was lucky to have met a lot of great stars at autograph appearances at card shows. The ones that stand out (Ernie Banks, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Harmon Killebrew) were the ones who took the time to be gracious and say a few kind words or show appreciation for our being there. There were others who barely looked up and looked bothered that we were even there. I wish you the best when you meet him. I hope he is as gracious a man as he was great on the field so that your memory of getting this card autographed can be as meaningful as it should be.
    Steve
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Congrats !
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    I think right now your card is a solid 6 - ExMt. After you meet Yaz, it will be a more than solid "10"! Enjoy the experience.

Jim-59Horsehide
  • Options
    Here is my latest graded card for my PSA Yaz Master Set. Pretty cool oddball issue that I think looks high end for the grade. Got it at a great price from board member cpettimd. Thanks Chris!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super card Dan.

Is that a great shot of Yaz or what?!
    Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Dan ... nice to see you adding to your YAZ collection. BTW, Chris is a great guy to deal with.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.