Home U.S. Coin Forum

HOF Order numbers, time of order, and mix of HOF's thread...Updated Pops Report inside

Comments

• agentjim007agentjim007 Posts: 6,256
    I know that, that's not my question. Read again and answer if you can. Thanks.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Anybody got better ordering times than 1:16 on the gold that have not been shipped yet? That is my best time.
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My second order was 1:05 and I received the proof but not the uncirculated.

Again it doesen't matter. If you look at the fine print of their shipping policy they pull orders into groups then apply fifo to the group.

With the order volumes what they were, 10 minutes would be thousands of coins. Depending on how the daily shipments were grouped.

it would be easy for an order 10 minutes later to get shipped and the earlier order not get shipped.

Also don't expect any silver to ship before mid to late May and the gold Mid to late June.

They will not do anything with wait list until shipping resumes and is near complete because of the large number of canceled orders

during the ASE set delays.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

<< <i>I know that, that's not my question. Read again and answer if you can. Thanks. >>

Doesen't matter either way. They ran out of bags and stopped shipping them.

Wether you got a bag or not only means you have a bag or you don't have a bag.

If you are on the waiting list you will know if you are going to get it when:

They ship it or you receive the Dear Agent Jim email.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    Do you really think there were large cancellations of orders?

Maybe quite a few silver but I doubt gold.
    I doubt there were any gold cancellations and if there were they're kicking themselves now but the mint reported that Friday they put up the waiting list with 9,000 still available to cut down on the cancellations that would occur by leaving them available over the weekend. Some waiting list will get their coins. The bags ran out long past the gold was listed as sold so my question is valid and it is possible everyone who ordered on the waiting list did get a bag and was charged $4.95 although I would think there could be some relevance to being charged if at least some waiting list orders did not get the bag and charged. It's just a thought I know it can go either way.

because of the "ASE sets cancelled last year" They took a massive number of wait list orders

because the knew of the delays that would occur because the couns were not minted. They

wanted to cover themselves for the expected cancellations from the many who will miss the

early release / first strick cut offs.
    I canceled all my bags on my 10 gold shipments I have coming so can not help you on that.
    nobody has said there has been cancellations yet, only that the mint took an excessive number of

wait list orders to protect themselves in case the coins were not that much in demand to be able to resell later

if there were a lot of cancellations like what happened with the ASE sets. I believe the cancelled orders were in the tens of thousands.

Remember the orders were taken weeks ago before the market heated up to where it is today.
    Again it doesen't matter.

They will not do anything with wait list orders until shipping resumes and is near complete.

Just say you can't answer my question. There would be relevance if someone said I placed an order Sunday and my order is on hold and never was charged or received a bag. Doesn't mean earlier orders will get their coins or the guy who ordered Sunday and never charged won't. I am just trying to establish where there might be a change in the pattern.

<< <i>image >>

Hey AgentJim007,

Take a lucky spin on the mint shipping wheel. imageimage
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just say you can't answer my question. There would be relevance if someone said I placed an order Sunday and my order is on hold and never was charged or received a bag. Doesn't mean earlier orders will get their coins or the guy who ordered Sunday and never charged won't. I am just trying to establish where there might be a change in the pattern. >>

Sorry, it's the Mint, there has been no pattern; thus, keep circlin'...
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • JefferyJeffery Posts: 115
    Actually when I talked to a Mint rep she told me there have been several gold cancellations. Mostly due to over-ordering, but a few here & there for changing their mind.
    They will kick themselves for changing their mind.
  • HonoluluDudeHonoluluDude Posts: 2,167

<< <i>They will kick themselves for changing their mind. >>

Looks like the new (ebay) price range for raw gold is between $975-$1000... home run!
    Cant put gold on now with a prepay though as it is too far out for delivery.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    The mint obviously struck a tiny initial amount of coins, probably thinking these would sell like the Civil Rights coins. Until all the coins ordered are released we can't be sure on the true prices down the road, that may be why some have canceled.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tuesday the 6th, is the FS cutoff date. It'll be interesting to watch prices between then and the next Mint shipments.

I have more on the way expected to ship 6-21. Ordered at 1:05, 4292XXXX. Looks like I was about 10 minutes late getting in for the first shipments....image
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Looks like the new (ebay) price range for raw gold is between $975-$1000... home run! >>

...until the June 21 hoard gets delivered.
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Looks like the new (ebay) price range for raw gold is between $975-$1000... home run! >>

...until the June 21 hoard gets delivered.[/q

EXACTLY!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

...until the June 21 hoard gets delivered.[/q

EXACTLY! >>

And I'd expect lots of issues as we get closer to the flood with undelivered presales at higher prices.

The ones that know what their doing know the flood is coming and when, they will presale flip these out at a lower price, and actually be able to deliver within 30 days. Those that presold will be left with canceled sales as a result. Preselling 50 some days out knowing the presale policy is a recipe for disaster.
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Featured right now on a cable shopping network are 3 piece HOF Baltimore sets. MS 70 or PF 70, either PCGS or NGC. (though they are showing PCGS holders) Half, $1 and $5 for $8,999.77 your choice. They are claiming the price will go up next week to $10,000.
    Now they are saying NGC sets can't be found any more and changed the graphic.

Single silver $1 NGC Nolan Ryan signature with HOF logo label, PF 70 for $299.77, PF 69 for $179.77

There are going to be some people in for a big letdown if they pay 10K for one of those sets.
    Very likely. It is a Baltimore set and they claim there are only 35 of these in existence. Your choice to believe their pitch. They are offering to buy these sets. It would be tempting. Don't know if I could hold out if I had a set or two from Baltimore.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Have they no shame?

Or morals?

TV hucksters? HAHAHA Right
    They just said they were here for the little guy....Beer shot out my nose

I guess they don't. they are now offering the still available 2014 proof set (priced on the mint site at $31.95)....and get this, they will include the original mint packaging, really, for just $49.77.

Something new. A 10 piece PF 70 silver dollar position signature set ( a pitcher, a catcher, a manager etc.) Nolan Ryan, Wade Boggs, Dave Winfield, Eddie Murry, Reggie Jackson, Tommy Lasorda, Johnny Bench, Cal Ripkin, Ryan Sandburg, Tony Guin. (sorry for any miss spellings) $4,000 One set only.

Now the same 10 piece set in PF 69, a few available, $1,799.77

• BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    I'd love to have a Nolan Ryan one. He's been my favorite player since I was like 4 or 5 (1989-1990). Toward the end of his career but I always wanted to be just like him.

Or Cal Jr.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
    Another new one. PCGS PF 69 Baltimore half auctioned at $325

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you really think there were large cancellations of orders?

Maybe quite a few silver but I doubt gold. >>

I'm actually tracking this on another forum. From Monday's raw numbers:

<< <i>New numbers (April 27) along with unit sales and percentage increase over last week:

# Desc Sold Diff %age
    B31 2014 BASEBALL HOF GOLD PROOF 39,098 -42 -0.1%
    B32 2014 BASEBALL HOF GOLD UNC 21,952 -12 -0.1%
    B33 2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER PROOF 287,361 -1,022 -0.4%
    B34 2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER UNC 150,490 -556 -0.4%
    B35 2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD PROOF 133,799 13,930 11.6%
    B36 2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD UNC 82,342 8,139 11.0%

I assume the numbers for the Au and Ag are coming down due to cancellations... >>

<< <i>Does anybody have a waiting list gold order that the mint did NOT ship a bag? Maybe a later waiting list order. I placed a waiting list order on Friday and had the bag shipped card charged for postage. I thought that meant my order will be filled but I'm not so sure especially if they shipped bags and charged cards for all waiting list orders. >>

Whether or not you got a bag or not has no bearing on your order.

The mint did not ship these bags, nor have any input who would get them, other than having a minimum dollar order. If you placed an order that qualified for a bag, the fulfillment company (Novitex, nee PBGS) shipped one to you.

That's it. Nothing more.
    And the worst part is you had to be home to sign for them too.
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    In response to Jeffery's original post, here are some additional thoughts.

1. There is a truism on this board "Buy the coin, not the label". But will this hold for the HOF coins?
    2. The Baltimore First Pitch label commands a hefty premium.
    3. There is now a clear delineation between original mintage (gold = pre 6/21 & silver=pre 5/16) and subsequent mintage which will be confirmed by the First Strike label.
    4. The rush to meet the impending First Strike deadline of 5/6 has created a rush and demand for in hand coins and sealed boxes.
    5. The proliferation of labels has also created a heavy demand for the coins. The existing labels include the Baltimore First Pitch, First Strike, Cass McFarland (coin designer), Cal Ripken, etc. This seems to be a marketer's dream. See Kenbegud's recent posts.

There are probably other examples and additional thoughts.

<< <i>And the worst part is you had to be home to sign for them too. >>

I believe if you are upgraded to 2nd day, then *everything* in the order comes 2nd day signature required, even the bag or a lowly clad proof. (At least that's the way it worked for me...)

I specifically split a couple of dollar orders to be below $300 so I wouldn't have to be home to sign for them, which meant... I gots lots of bags! image
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a related note, I sent a modern order to NGC this past week. The order went right from rec'd status to QC in 2 days. Translation: They must have little modern biz currently, in other words, no HOF coins jamming up the pipeline. I'd bet that the modern pipeline at PCGS is also w/o HOF coins also due to Mint delays. Will we see extensions for the First Strike label? This will impact pop numbers and the PCGS bottom line! I doubt the deadline will be extended but I guess we'll see. $$ talks.

• << <i>On a related note, I sent a modern order to NGC this past week. The order went right from rec'd status to QC in 2 days. Translation: They must have little modern biz currently, in other words, no HOF coins jamming up the pipeline. I'd bet that the modern pipeline at PCGS is also w/o HOF coins also due to Mint delays. Will we see extensions for the First Strike label? This will impact pop numbers and the PCGS bottom line! I doubt the deadline will be extended but I guess we'll see. $$ talks. >>

This seems true for PCGS too. I just had a set of one proof and one uncirculated HOF dollars go through in 15 business days (from PCGS received to delivered to me); under the 20 business day turnaround posted on the website.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    On a related note, I sent a modern order to NGC this past week. The order went right from rec'd status to QC in 2 days. Translation: They must have little modern biz currently, in other words, no HOF coins jamming up the pipeline. I'd bet that the modern pipeline at PCGS is also w/o HOF coins also due to Mint delays. Will we see extensions for the First Strike label? This will impact pop numbers and the PCGS bottom line! I doubt the deadline will be extended but I guess we'll see. $$ talks

PCGS can set the rules anyway they like for First Strike. I remember the 2010 ATB 5 ozers, they completely threw out the 30 day window on for First Strike. I believe you could get First Strike on all the coins all year long. . So yes, PCGS can change the rules for First Strike.

I would like to know what is driving the market. Is it all the Baseball Card Collectors also wanting these coins? I thought the market collapsed on the Baseball Card Collectibles.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Add up all the attendance at baseball games during a week, that's what's driving this market. 50k coins isn't very many concerting the number of people interested in baseball. Once the fast buck flippers are out of the market I expect these coins to retain their value and act like the UHRs.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "PCGS can set the rules anyway they like for First Strike. I remember the 2010 ATB 5 ozers, they completely threw out the 30 day window on for First Strike. I believe you could get First Strike on all the coins all year long. . So yes, PCGS can change the rules for First Strike. "

They already set the rules. Why change them to earn a few more dollars? It completely undermines policy, devaluing all special labels in general.
    For what it's worth, I'd rather buy 10 raw gold HOF coins from the mint, than one with a silly label showing the coin was sold at Baltimore.
    (And that's exactly what I did.)

To each his own, I guess.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FS on the '08-W Fractional Buffalos were a tough ticket, remember that?
  • The sports collectible market is still viable, game used items, autographs, vintage sports cards, etc. I think these coins have great crossover potential, 1st curved coin, baseball fans everywhere and coin hobbyists as well. I'm giving a few as gifts to my little league playing family members.
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    PCGS can set the rules anyway they like for First Strike. I remember the 2010 ATB 5 ozers, they completely threw out the 30 day window on for First Strike. I believe you could get First Strike on all the coins all year long. . So yes, PCGS can change the rules for First Strike.
    >>

I may be wrong, but I recall one instance where all of the coins were shipped within 30 days, which would make all of them qualified for FS, I don't believe them specifically throwing out the 30 day window.

(l8-)>>

New listings on the raw proof HOF dollars is going through the roof.
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>New listings on the raw proof HOF dollars is going through the roof. >>

Yup, but the true prices will show when all the shipments have been made. Absolutely no reason to have to buy a proof (or uncirc) now....
    That is so true but they are selling now at great prices.
  • PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    It's all about FIRST STRIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

I may be wrong, but I recall one instance where all of the coins were shipped within 30 days, which would make all of them qualified for FS, I don't believe them specifically throwing out the 30 day window. >>

How true...and that was the reason for the ATB receiving a FS designation all year round. The Mint shipped all of them, before they sold out, within the 30 day window.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    I understand what you are saying but a lot the ones selling right now are coins that will not even arrive for a couple of weeks. They are pre-sales.

<< <i>On a related note, I sent a modern order to NGC this past week. The order went right from rec'd status to QC in 2 days. Translation: They must have little modern biz currently, in other words, no HOF coins jamming up the pipeline. I'd bet that the modern pipeline at PCGS is also w/o HOF coins also due to Mint delays. Will we see extensions for the First Strike label? This will impact pop numbers and the PCGS bottom line! I doubt the deadline will be extended but I guess we'll see. $$ talks. >>

My timeline:

Mailed HOF coins to NGC 4/8.
    Arrived NGC 4/14.
    Graded (Early Bird submissions) by NGC by 4/18. (So mine took three days.)
    Mailed back 4/21
    Coins received by me 5/3. (<-- Yes, took almost 2 WEEKS for the coins to get back to me.)

(More whining: Given the 26 day turnaround (from the time the coins were sent until I got them back), raw prices went up considerably. Add in the grades I got (8 of 9 MS/PF-70's and a single 69,) it was woefully under-insured, so the package taking 13 days to get back to me was... worrisome. image )

The coins don't look as good in the slabs as they do in the curved mint packaging. (However, having a 70 on it makes up for a lot. Heh.) If you're wondering what the best presentation for the coins are, it's probably in the OGP.

Here's what the NGC obverses with the HOF label looks like. The reverses look just like you'd think, so I didn't bother taking pics. The dollar slabs look larger, but it's an illusion because they're thicker, and closer to the lens. (I'm right on top of the slabs.) They have the same height and width of a standard slab, but are about 9/16" thick as opposed to the standard 3/8", 50% thicker.

And this is what the card looks like. Sadly, it is 2.3" x 3.4", as opposed to 2.5" x 3.5" of a standard baseball card. What were they thinking? (But I still found enough "Rookie Card" top loaders to put them in. Those of you who did baseball cards will understand... image )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file