Home Precious Metals

Ukraine may dictate the metals markets for a few weeks.

Comments

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Russia Dumps 20% Of Its US Treasury Holdings

Economic sanction blowback? >>

Looks like Belgium's the place we don't want to piss off. >>

Belgium is not buying the treasuries.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The ukraine Who's client state ? >>

The first paragraph sums up what most Ukrainians think too, Yanu was bad, so was Tymo and soon to be next president Poroshenko - all oligarchs and kleptocratic.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    """John Deere, which makes heavy farm equipment and has two factories in Russia, was the latest company to blame weaker sales on economic sanctions. Despite beating its fiscal second-quarter earnings by 16 cents, the company best-known for its green and yellow tractors, cut its full-year outlook, saying sales of its tractors and harvesters would fall "significantly" in Ukraine, Russia and other ex-Soviet republics. The company cited credit restrictions by its customers there for the weak outlook."""
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Belgium is most likely fronting for the FED since the FED is publicly tapering.

Fed Laundering Treasury Purchases to Disguise What’s Happening >>

The link to this blog is vulnerable to the heartbleed virus. >>

talk about fearmongering. Guess that's one way to discredit something you don't agree with.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

<< <i>Belgium is not buying the treasuries. >>

Market Watch.com April 15 headline story: "Belgium is buying up tons of U.S. Treasurys." I'll take their word over your Financial Times every day of the week.

From the MW story: "February marks the latest month where Belgium’s holdings of Treasurys has surged, according to the TIC holdings data. That month, the European nation purchased $30.9 billion in Treasurys, bringing its total to $341.2 billion, behind only mega-buyers China and Japan in total holdings. In the past year, Belgium has added $153.9 billion to its Treasury holdings, accounting for 80% of the total increase in foreign holdings of Treasurys during that time period, according to Stone & McCarthy Research Associates." >>

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

talk about fearmongering. Guess that's one way to discredit something you don't agree with. >>

No fear mongering. My Google chrome alerted me to possible attack. If you don't have the Google chrome ad on I suggest you get it.

<< <i>My Google chrome alerted me to possible attack. If you don't have the Google chrome ad on I suggest you get it. >>

Aren't all websites a possible heartbleed attack?

<< <i>My Google chrome alerted me to possible attack. If you don't have the Google chrome ad on I suggest you get it. >>

Aren't all websites a possible heartbleed attack?

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

talk about fearmongering. Guess that's one way to discredit something you don't agree with. >>

No fear mongering. My Google chrome alerted me to possible attack. If you don't have the Google chrome ad on I suggest you get it. >>

Google chrome is a virus itselfimage are virii attacking each other now?

Here are a few Ukraine oligarch background links

british interests in Ukraine Thats from the excellent GolemXIV blog

Here is a Utube video subtitled unfortunately and rather long its a Russian perspective
    Oligarchical topography of Ukraine

<< <i>

Market Watch.com April 15 headline story: "Belgium is buying up tons of U.S. Treasurys." I'll take their word over your Financial Times every day of the week.

From the MW story: "February marks the latest month where Belgium’s holdings of Treasurys has surged, according to the TIC holdings data. That month, the European nation purchased $30.9 billion in Treasurys, bringing its total to $341.2 billion, behind only mega-buyers China and Japan in total holdings. In the past year, Belgium has added $153.9 billion to its Treasury holdings, accounting for 80% of the total increase in foreign holdings of Treasurys during that time period, according to Stone & McCarthy Research Associates." >>

>>

Perhaps the NY Post is more your style

From your own link....the European nation purchased $30.9 billion in Treasurys,.............behind only mega-buyers China Havent you posted countless links saying China was a seller of Treasuries? Ah, the ability to pick and choose which facts one wants to believe is curious psychological trait.

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Perhaps the NY Post is more your style

From your own link....the European nation purchased $30.9 billion in Treasurys,.............behind only mega-buyers China Havent you posted countless links saying China was a seller of Treasuries? Ah, the ability to pick and choose which facts one wants to believe is curious psychological trait. >>

From your own link Belgium is on record for snapping up US Treasuries. But, as I pointed out in this thread someone else is actually doing the buying.

Bloomberg News agrees that China is a seller of US Debt

My choice of which facts to believe is based on what the sources are and how many of them say the same thing. Unlike some I do not let pre-determined notions or beliefs lead my thought process.

Im feeling less combative this morning, but im still confused.

You say market-watch is reliable and they write China is a buyer.
    You say Bloomberg is reliable and they write China is a seller.

Hence my confusion of either the facts or the idea of reliability.

I do not let pre-determined notions or beliefs lead my thought process.

But I think you do. You have a notion that the US is unable to sell its debt. I completely and vehemently disagree. Even Japan can sell its debt. Italy and Spain also.

<< <i>But I think you do. You have a notion that the US is unable to sell its debt. >>

Without taking a side on this debate, it is not always easy to determine who is buying/holding/selling sovereign debt.

Japan for example has a national debt in the $13T range. Now is this net of the $1.5T in US debt that it owns?

The Fed is holding $4T in US debt instruments. For accounting sake does that reduce the $17T in national debt as we "owe it to ourselves"?

The information is intentionally vague and opaque.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Even Japan can sell its debt. Italy and Spain also. >>

You left out Greece.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    For accounting sake does that reduce the $17T in national debt as we "owe it to ourselves"?

No.

The information is intentionally vague and opaque.

We are all free to accept information as presented or to research on our own using facts and logic. What appears vague to some is perfectly clear to others. What seems intentional can be coincidental or non-related.

<< <i>

You left out Greece. >>

I dont see any country on this list having difficulty in selling its debt.

<< <i>We are all free to accept information as presented or to research on our own using facts and logic. >>

Fair enough. So what is the answer to my second question regarding Japans national debt?

<< <i>

<< <i>

You left out Greece. >>

I dont see any country on this list having difficulty in selling its debt. >>

At the right price, any debt is saleable. Bill collectors will buy 15 year old non performing consumer debt for $100 per $1,000,000.

Looks like Egypt debt is demanding a 700 basis point premium over US Treasuries.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold gold this past week for less. This is in America, though.

HE>I

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> Ev
    At the right price, any debt is saleable. Bill collectors will buy 15 year old non performing consumer debt for $100 per $1,000,000.

Looks like Egypt debt is demanding a 700 basis point premium over US Treasuries. >>

Amazing isn't it? Only a 700 basis point premium. Hiw

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The national debt has nothing to do with "owing it to ourselves". It has to do with placing the financial burden on taxpayers for spending done by politicians and bankers who accept no responsibility for how that debt money is spent, regardless of promises made.

Therefore, it is essentially stealing.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>The national debt has nothing to do with "owing it to ourselves". It has to do with placing the financial burden on taxpayers for spending done by politicians and bankers who accept no responsibility for how that debt money is spent, regardless of promises made.

Therefore, it is essentially stealing. >>

"Owing it to ourselves" in the regard I noted is even more sinister than that. It is a shady attempt to make up the deficit with freshly unbacked currency. Bernanke ingeniously (and deviously) spun the monetization as QE stimulus, instead of what it was (and is) wholesale dilution of the money supply.

Now it is easy to lie about inflation and claim that we are well below the 2% target, and those with blinders on will gracefully go along with the deceit. Reality is, with a money supply on its way to quintupling in a 6 year window, the goods that we buy are are in a rather fixed supply, and are being chased by 5 times the currency. Sure we can talk about world reserves of dollars and velocity of this new money supply, but historically we can have only one result and that is hyper inflation.
    Between economics and gold is military might and diplomacy
    Cooler heads always prevail even as there is a "rumble" on the streets.
    Crimea was given to the Catholics centuries ago. If the church and government don't want it, maybe the people should go home and have peace. And let's get back to being neighbors.

HE>I

<< <i>Between economics and gold is military might and diplomacy
    Cooler heads always prevail even as there is a "rumble" on the streets.
    Crimea was given to the Catholics centuries ago. If the church and government don't want it, maybe the people should go home and have peace. And let's get back to being neighbors. >>

The only problem is that Putie Poot said three times before that he was pulling his troops back - but they must have been stuck or something because they didn't move.

The real problem is the lack of viable support for a takeover in E. Ukraine. Many people are detaching themselves from the radicals that were occupying the council buildings because the true colours were coming out. The barricades at the Donets'k Regional Council building have been removed, the place is largely vacated and a couple of blocks away in Pushkin Park people are going about enjoying the spring in outdoor cafes and people watching - which is a fun thing to do there.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Operation Unthinkable was actually a good idea, wonder where we would be today had we gone through with it? Im thinking the World would probably be a better place.......maybe????

<< <i>a little more info about Ukrainian gas and crony Bidens >>

Damn, I will have to translate that into Russian and send over there - vedy interesting.

<< <i>

<< <i>a little more info about Ukrainian gas and crony Bidens >>

Damn, I will have to translate that into Russian and send over there - vedy interesting. >>

kings of Ukranian gas

partners in Ukranian gas
    """European leaders will consider steps against Russia on Tuesday if they decide Moscow has hampered the election, ranging from restrictions on luxury goods imports to an oil and gas ban, although some are wary due to close trade ties."""

It is evident that the era of Churchill is long gone. image

<< <i>"""European leaders will consider steps against Russia on Tuesday if they decide Moscow has hampered the election, ranging from restrictions on luxury goods imports to an oil and gas ban, although some are wary due to close trade ties."""

It is evident that the era of Churchill is long gone. image >>

The era of Chamberlain is more the likes of the present leadership.
    Petro Poroshenko wins the Ukraine election.

Chocolate oligarch it seems.

I am not smart enough to know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

<< <i>Petro Poroshenko wins the Ukraine election.

Chocolate oligarch it seems.

I am not smart enough to know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. >>

A lot of people in Luhans'k and Donets'k didn't/couldn't vote because of the militias there so their voices were not heard. Poroshenko is a more pro-western Yanukovych style out of touch with the verve of the country type oligarch. No matter what he does, the average Ukrainians are screwed.

<< <i>A lot of people in Luhans'k and Donets'k didn't/couldn't vote because of the militias there so their voices were not heard. Poroshenko is a more pro-western Yanukovych style out of touch with the verve of the country type oligarch. No matter what he does, the average Ukrainians are screwed. >>

But Washington got what it wants. Isn't that all that matters? image

<< <i>
    But Washington got what it wants. Isn't that all that matters? image >>

It is now a post "be careful what you wish for, you might get it" moment.
    Thank you for your inside perspective, SaorAlba.

Can you sum up where this situation is and where you believe that it is headed?

This is not an easy situation to keep up on.
    Honestly with fighting breaking out at Prokofiev Airport in Donets'k rather scared. I have been to that airport coming or going many times. It is about 2km north of my old apartment there. I could fly in, go out the terminal and onto the #9 bus down Universetskaya St. to my place there. Our family there lives about 10km from the airport, in a mainly residential area away from the council building and all the hotspots.

Since this thread started gold is down about 3% and silver down about 10%.

Where are those MythBusters guys?

<< <i>Since this thread started gold is down about 3% and silver down about 10%.

Where are those MythBusters guys? >>

I am not sure, but "arms" are being smuggled into Donetsk, from what the news "states". While gold has been on a steady decline since the thread started, it's not surprising that "arms" are going up.

Gold for 3 the previous 3 months

Smith & Wesson for the previous 3 months

I don't know about tomorrow.

HE>I

Thread is dead, metals have forgotten Ukraine and found new distractions.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thread is dead, metals have forgotten Ukraine and found new distractions. >>

first I'm hearing that metals have a concsiousness of their own and actually think for themselves about issues.

All along I have been going on the assumption that it's people making economic decisions :slapsforehead;

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

<< <i>

<< <i>Thread is dead, metals have forgotten Ukraine and found new distractions. >>

first I'm hearing that metals have a concsiousness of their own and actually think for themselves about issues.

All along I have been going on the assumption that it's people making economic decisions :slapsforehead; >>

sorry, forgot that some here are confused without exact precision. Precisely speaking "metals market" has forgotten Ukraine. Be advised that metals market includes the people that do the buying and selling.

The market has found new distractions. Donets'k is pretty much in the control of the mob right now. Banks, grocery stores etc are all closed. Most businesses are closed unless they are under the protection of the Russian mob.

There are more interesting things in the news now, Hillary Clinton's bloomers, Lindsay Lohan rehab trips, Miley Ray Cyrus latest cruditities.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are more interesting things in the news now, Hillary Clinton's bloomers, Lindsay Lohan rehab trips, Miley Ray Cyrus latest crudities. >>

Agreeimage

Some parts of the Ukraine, that are predominantly Russians, are "Welfare States" with high unemployment and a history of rampant corruption. Let the Russians pay their welfare and unemployment benefits instead of the ECU or US. It'll hit 'em where it hurts the most -- their pocketbooks.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>

<< <i>There are more interesting things in the news now, Hillary Clinton's bloomers, Lindsay Lohan rehab trips, Miley Ray Cyrus latest crudities. >>

Agreeimage

Some parts of the Ukraine, that are predominantly Russians, are "Welfare States" with high unemployment and a history of rampant corruption. Let the Russians pay their welfare and unemployment benefits instead of the ECU or US. It'll hit 'em where it hurts the most -- their pocketbooks. >>

It is a generational divide more than ethnic or linguistic. A lot of ethnic Russians my age and younger are pro-Ukraine, older ethnic Russians tend to be pro-Russian. Ukraine is in a lot of ways similar to Europe in business, but also very similar to Russia. For me personally I walk a tight line even discussing this with people there in Ukraine, some are ardently pro-Ukraine and Europe and others are vehemently pro-Russia and I even know some that lament the fall of the USSR.
    One wonders how much of world crises events are scripted.

Seems that Putin was well tolerated by the incensed Nato members at the Dday tributes.

<< <i>One wonders how much of world crises events are scripted.

Seems that Putin was well tolerated by the incensed Nato members at the Dday tributes. >>

Or a demonstration of maturity to not turn the moment into a personal spitting match.