Home Precious Metals
Options

Ukraine may dictate the metals markets for a few weeks.

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    This may have been said on an earlier page, but ... I don't see how anybody on the ground (io, Ukrainian or Russian fighters) could mistake a double-wide Boeing jet for a thin military aircraft. Commercial jets are bright white with company insignia and do not travel nearly as fast as fighter jets, which are often grey or dark blue or camouflage. Not to mention, zero artillery hanging from their wings. IMHO this was no accident at all. Everyone seems concerned about how it was shot down. My concern: when will the responsible party be held accountable?

Regarding Egypt and Middle East travel, definitely riskier now then before the Arab Spring and Crimea invasion. However, when I visited Israel in 1997, I was amazed how peaceful and pleasant things were (yes there was some fighting in the news). Western media makes a concerted effort to showcase and over-dramatize the attacks. For ratings, of course. And certain news stations such as NPR are heavily slanted against one side or the other (NPR is very pro-Hamas; why, beats the heck outta me). My point is this ... I have friends who live in Israel. Things are definitely not great, but they also are always better then we Americans believe things to be. Egypt is no different.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I'm maybe missing some thing but rocket attacks willy nilly aint my idea of ~ "better then we Americans believe things to be. Egypt is no different." image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't recall seeing any smoke trail in the video showing the impact with the ground.

The video of the intact plane with an engine on fire is most likely Russian propaganda. >>

Do the Russkies have photoshop, too? >>

da, in old country was called Glavlit.

comrade renski
  • Options
    It's true that Hamas has fired about 1,000 rockets at Israel. But this is not the constant state of things. And it's happened before, sometimes in the news and sometimes not even. My point ... saying these days aren't as good as the good old days ... well not much has changed so if it seems worse then before ... it ain't.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's true that Hamas has fired about 1,000 rockets at Israel. But this is not the constant state of things. And it's happened before, sometimes in the news and sometimes not even. My point ... saying these days aren't as good as the good old days ... well not much has changed so if it seems worse then before ... it ain't. >>

Excepting that the European economy is still so brittle that they can not/will not stand up to Putin. US is not far behind.

As I mentioned before, I believe that Merkel has the fortitude to do the right thing. Hope so.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Germany will choose an economic future with Russia and China. Europe will follow suit.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This may have been said on an earlier page, but ... I don't see how anybody on the ground (io, Ukrainian or Russian fighters) could mistake a double-wide Boeing jet for a thin military aircraft. Commercial jets are bright white with company insignia and do not travel nearly as fast as fighter jets, which are often grey or dark blue or camouflage. Not to mention, zero artillery hanging from their wings. IMHO this was no accident at all. Everyone seems concerned about how it was shot down. My concern: when will the responsible party be held accountable?

Regarding Egypt and Middle East travel, definitely riskier now then before the Arab Spring and Crimea invasion. However, when I visited Israel in 1997, I was amazed how peaceful and pleasant things were (yes there was some fighting in the news). Western media makes a concerted effort to showcase and over-dramatize the attacks. For ratings, of course. And certain news stations such as NPR are heavily slanted against one side or the other (NPR is very pro-Hamas; why, beats the heck outta me). My point is this ... I have friends who live in Israel. Things are definitely not great, but they also are always better then we Americans believe things to be. Egypt is no different. >>

Lochness,
    Remember that at FL33 it would be hard to even see an aircraft. Also the operator of BUK is operating in a small windowless room and just presses a button after radar locks a target. Also FWIW, the day of the incident was mostly clear with scattered
    and a lot of photos on the internet show overcast which makes a lot of those photos of questionable authenticity.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Mish's website....

Update: The video clip I displayed earlier today was likely the downing of an An-30 last month not Malaysian flight MH17. Once again it is very difficult to sort through all the propaganda.
    Read more at http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2014/07/video-of-rebel-buk-launchers-headed.html#T0JPcfB5pI1MTVTB.99

A word of advice to Mr. Mish (Shedlock).....if you cant verify, then dont publish. This is the kind of crap we've seen from the conspiracy nuts all along regarding the metals. Now the metals are boring and not moving to "supposed fundamentals" so they, (Mish and the like) try to promote other propaganda. Why anyone would ever believe the nonsense they write is beyond me.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>Why anyone would ever believe the nonsense they write is beyond me. >>

But we're to believe yours? image

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Thank you, Streeter I was unaware of those facts. A windowless room reacting to the target lock? and no human superior saying "fire" or "don't fire, it's just a commercial airliner" ... now that's crazy. Although in some strictly logic-based scenario absent of ethics, I suppose that would be an excusable mistake.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why anyone would ever believe the nonsense they write is beyond me. >>

But we're to believe yours? image >>

You are free to believe whomever you wish.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Colonialism via Fracking >>

Is there evidence that fracking despoils ground water? My understanding is that fracking occurs miles down, well below water tables.

I of course don't really know if the World Bank and its U.S. puppet masters do intend to make Ukraine an modern version of a blighted 18th-century Irish slave hovel, but under the circumstances I can see some merit in helping Ukraine become more independent of Russian oil and gas.
  • Options

Maybe the jury is still out on fracking but here in the US people without a vested interest in it don't seem to care for it under their houses.

That could be a case of Not In My Backyard. On the other hand , maybe they would be okay with it if the crude stayed here in the US instead of being sent overseas to pad oil company profits while they watch the gas prices shoot up every week.

• Options
    """"Russia's President Vladimir Putin signed a decree banning or limiting imports of agricultural products from countries which have imposed sanctions on Russia, the Kremlin's press service said on Wednesday.

Putin ordered his government to come up with a list of goods to be banned for imports into Russia and to last one year, the Kremlin said. The order says the limits are being imposed "with the goal of guaranteeing the security of the Russian Federation" and calls for undertaking measures to guard against quick price hikes. Both those clauses appeared to indicate that the scope of the measures wouldn't be wide."""

Let them eat Stoli!
  • Options

<< <i>""""Russia's President Vladimir Putin signed a decree banning or limiting imports of agricultural products from countries which have imposed sanctions on Russia, the Kremlin's press service said on Wednesday.

Putin ordered his government to come up with a list of goods to be banned for imports into Russia and to last one year, the Kremlin said. The order says the limits are being imposed "with the goal of guaranteeing the security of the Russian Federation" and calls for undertaking measures to guard against quick price hikes. Both those clauses appeared to indicate that the scope of the measures wouldn't be wide."""

Let them eat Stoli! >>

comrade prefer to drink stoli. comrade barry say russia make nutting. russia make stoli. dis comrade is ok wit dat.
    cold war 2 make stoli spensive. no like cold war.

comrade no like hurricanes
    hurricanes make water spensive
    no water in stores
    comrade drink stoli
    is good, hahaha
  • Options

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope that Washington will continue with non military sanctions if Russia decides to invade Ukraine, they look like they are poised to strike.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Russia doesn't make anything...how do we get to the International Space Station???
    Do I believe barry or my lying eyes???
  • Options

<< <i>If Russia doesn't make anything...how do we get to the International Space Station???
    Do I believe barry or my lying eyes??? >>

Better question is...how do we get back from the space station? Maybe the EU comet chaser can do a pick up on its return....
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    No the jury is not still out on fracturing. Groundwater is not damaged. Period. In fact, it was a few weeks ago that a prospective client called wanting his groundwater well frac'd. I said No because it just isn't worth the hassle.
  • Options
    Becoming difficult to keep track of the hot wars, the cold wars and the never ending wars.

Ebola is the new CNN, missing Malaysia Air story.

Glad that their is Golf for the weekend!
  • Options

<< <i>Becoming difficult to keep track of the hot wars, the cold wars and the never ending wars.

Ebola is the new CNN, missing Malaysia Air story. >>

Ah, yes. the CNN Flap de Jour. What a waste of time they are!

• Options
    What the fighting doesn't do for metals, the sanctions will.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    This whole topic has turned into one big twilight zone episode, one minute the tensions are easing and there is talks of truce and the next minute Russia is massing combat units on the border again. The whole thing is just tiresome. If Russia is going to invade then just get it over with already, hopefully Washington will just continue with sanctions and just let Ukraine go.
  • Options

<< <i>This whole topic has turned into one big twilight zone episode, one minute the tensions are easing and there is talks of truce and the next minute Russia is massing combat units on the border again. The whole thing is just tiresome. If Russia is going to invade then just get it over with already, hopefully Washington will just continue with sanctions and just let Ukraine go. >>

Nobody knows how to prosecute a damn war anymore. Maybe Israel, but the continual Hamas broken ceasefires are annoying.
  • Options
    Haven't heard a thing about Russia in a couple of days, rest assured something insane will make headlines before long
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is really in the "aid" trucks coming from Russia to Ukraine:

Yanu Yanu!
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's time for peace, but it's not driving the market.
  • Options

<< <i>No the jury is not still out on fracturing. Groundwater is not damaged. Period. In fact, it was a few weeks ago that a prospective client called wanting his groundwater well frac'd. I said No because it just isn't worth the hassle.[/q

lemmie guess... your pockets are getting fatter over fracking? YES it does damage water. tell that to all the people in PA then can put a match to the water and watch it burn!!!!!
  • Options
    Wonder if Russian and Ukraine leaders are playing the stock and bond markets. Lots of volatility as they saber rattle.
  • Options
    Ukraine saying they destroyed a "Large amount of Russian APC's" I doubt it but if its true Russia will invade and destroy them
  • Options

<< <i>Ukraine saying they destroyed a "Large amount of Russian APC's" I doubt it but if its true Russia will invade and destroy them >>

The Russians say they didn't have anything get destroyed. Rumors are saying the Ukrainians destroyed either nothing or their own APCS via friendly fire.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ukraine saying they destroyed a "Large amount of Russian APC's" I doubt it but if its true Russia will invade and destroy them >>

The Russians say they didn't have anything get destroyed. Rumors are saying the Ukrainians destroyed either nothing or their own APCS via friendly fire. >>

Well hopefully it was just the typical band of drunk Ukrainian fighters talking stupid. I didnt think it was true, I meen Russia would have immediately responded.
  • Options
    My wife's relatives own a trucking company in Poland near the Ukrainian border. They just got a letter last week instructing them to stage their trucks fully fueled and with a driver at the border if commanded. Failure to comply will result in forfeiture of their trucks.

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My wife's relatives own a trucking company in Poland near the Ukrainian border. They just got a letter last week instructing them to stage their trucks fully fueled and with a driver at the border if commanded. Failure to comply will result in forfeiture of their trucks. >>

The 1994 Budapest Memorandum provides for the US and GB to defend the Ukraine.
  • Options
    I highly doubt anyone will remember that pact of 1994. Not a chance the US and GB will deploy forces to defend the Ukraine. It's a logistical nightmare of biblical proportions at this point with combat ready Russian units already on the border if we planned on responding we would be having a col war set up in east Europe right now, not a chance the US will deploy tactical strikes against Russian units if they invade, the escalation that could happen is more than what the US will be willing to risk. Down the road if that happened and Russia decided to push all over Eastern Europe then it would be a disaster
  • Options

I don't understand why you think russia is the problem hereimage I am no great fan of Putin but its ridiculous to think the motives of the US are pure either.

• Options
    The problem here is that Russia (nee USSR) won WWII. If they'd been demolished like Germany and Japan, they probably be in the EU by now. They "lost" the Cold War, but Putin (and now most Russians, apparently) think it was because of the bungling of Gorbachev.
  • Options

<< <i>I highly doubt anyone will remember that pact of 1994. Not a chance the US and GB will deploy forces to defend the Ukraine. It's a logistical nightmare of biblical proportions at this point with combat ready Russian units already on the border if we planned on responding we would be having a col war set up in east Europe right now, not a chance the US will deploy tactical strikes against Russian units if they invade, the escalation that could happen is more than what the US will be willing to risk. Down the road if that happened and Russia decided to push all over Eastern Europe then it would be a disaster >>

This reminds me of a quote heard around the world..."This is my last election. After my election, I'll have more flexibility.”
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand why you think russia is the problem hereimage I am no great fan of Putin but its ridiculous to think the motives of the US are pure either. >>

Dont think for a second I think the United States is innocent, Im not saying that at all in fact I think the United States is a "Warring Nation" We love to fight and flex our muscle and influence around the globe. Im talking Ukraine and it is 100% Putins fault, Russia started this 100% and is to blame for this mess, I dont think its the United States bussiness to get involved either, all Im doing is pointing out the fact/s that The United States will not protect Ukraine in terms of Boots on the ground from Russian aggression.

One other thing, I would not be suprised if CIA is behind the scenes making things look/sound worse than they appear, there is a million things going on that You and I and everyone else will never know but the bottom line is Russia started this problem.
  • Options

<< <i>The problem here is that Russia (nee USSR) won WWII. If they'd been demolished like Germany and Japan, they probably be in the EU by now. They "lost" the Cold War, but Putin (and now most Russians, apparently) think it was because of the bungling of Gorbachev. >>

Truth is Churchill wanted "Operation Unthinkable" at the end of WW2 and it would have cost millions of Allied lives and would have only been succesful had the United States litterally bombed Russia into submission by dropping Atom Bombs all over Russian cities, I think the United States needed and wanted there to be a threat by Russia to fund the Military Industrial complex and that is PART of the reason it never happened.
  • Options

<< <i>

Truth is Churchill wanted "Operation Unthinkable" at the end of WW2 and it would have cost millions of Allied lives and would have only been succesful had the United States litterally bombed Russia into submission by dropping Atom Bombs all over Russian cities, I think the United States needed and wanted there to be a threat by Russia to fund the Military Industrial complex and that is PART of the reason it never happened. >>

Just read a book about spyplane operations during the 1950s, it is amazing to see how much Eisenhower fought what he saw as the military industrial complex mentality that was prevalent with people like Curtis Lemay. Eisenhower only reluctantly approved overflights of the USSR, fearing what eventually happened in 1960 - only it could have easily provoked a war. I find it rather paradoxical that Eisenhower, a US Army general that then went into politics, was so against the military complex - but indeed that gives me a greater appreciation that he valued the civilian rights over those of the military men.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Truth is Churchill wanted "Operation Unthinkable" at the end of WW2 and it would have cost millions of Allied lives and would have only been succesful had the United States litterally bombed Russia into submission by dropping Atom Bombs all over Russian cities, I think the United States needed and wanted there to be a threat by Russia to fund the Military Industrial complex and that is PART of the reason it never happened. >>

Just read a book about spyplane operations during the 1950s, it is amazing to see how much Eisenhower fought what he saw as the military industrial complex mentality that was prevalent with people like Curtis Lemay. Eisenhower only reluctantly approved overflights of the USSR, fearing what eventually happened in 1960 - only it could have easily provoked a war. I find it rather paradoxical that Eisenhower, a US Army general that then went into politics, was so against the military complex - but indeed that gives me a greater appreciation that he valued the civilian rights over those of the military men. >>

Yes, a man of war gone diplomat is better than a diplomat gone man of war without any experience in the field. But that's just my opinion.
    Peace is a process. War is a machine.
  • Options
    Ukraine situation is fixing to affect metals market drastically. US should learn to pick its fights and stick to those that have no choice but to comply.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ukraine situation is fixing to affect metals market drastically. US should learn to pick its fights and stick to those that have no choice but to comply. >>

Mmm sounds like a repeat assessment from February....we shall see if it will occur on your watch....sure didn't on the OP's.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    The USA and Europe are really betwixt a rock and a hard place. Nationalist Ukrainians want to be associated with Europe, but Europe really doesn't view Ukraine as part of it's sphere. Eastern Ukrainians have felt shut out and ignored, but up until the past week the leaders of the rebellion have been non-Ukrainian citizens - ie Russians. Average citizens there in Donets'k and Luhans'k have grown very weary of the whole war - nobody likes being bombed out, doing without food, power etc while foreign agents fight it out. I do believe without a doubt that the USA has been covertly supporting the Ukrainian nationalist side with information and non-lethal equipment, and maybe more.

The problem is, the USA and Europe really don't have much stock in what is going on in Ukraine from a geopolitical perspective, but then they cannot let it be overrun by Russia - especially with countries like Lithuania, Poland etc on the periphery of the "Russian Near Abroad". So the USA funds covert operations, and Europe gives so so support.

Some of my relatives fled Donets'k and are now staying up north in Ukrainian government controlled territory. But my other relatives are still in Donets'k and cannot leave - otherwise they would just probably go to Russia for the time being to be safe. Wish I could just get them out on a refugee visa.
  • Options
    my other relatives are still in Donets'k and cannot leave

Why? Job obligations? Held at gunpoint?

• Options
    Russian Aid convoy in and out without a disaster Im reading.

• Options
    ....and so it goes. From Tolstoy to Putin.