Home Precious Metals
Options

Ukraine may dictate the metals markets for a few weeks.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With so many amateurs embedded in the US govt, there's no telling how far any of it goes, unfortunately.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to go too far off target with precious metals, but China owns the London metal's exchange. (2012)
    The U.S. is into buying lots of lead but not for other countries,… for our own arsenal. (or are we supporting War Mongers ? ) (2014)
    Russia is dealing wit a Pus..y Riot and the U.S. is more worried about racism than sexism as we abort millions of babies each year.
    And if this is all driving the economy then it stands to reason GOLD must drop in price so we can get back to adorning ourselves with it.

Like a wise old once said: "Get the lead out"

Re: CN business as usual
    Re: US and our entourage s
    Re: RU ready to party ?

The new millennium in gold has nothing on racism and sexism and all those other "isms".
    The start of all wars seem to hinge on 3 basics of man's existence. Religion, politics and sex…. And those 3 seem to cause a lot of trouble.
    Yet, we in our intellect still throw stones and burn bridges….
    I think peace will come when we make peace with one another.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in early March Narodna Banka Ukraina shipped all their gold out in the middle of the night to the USA - probably New York FRB.

The gold Narodna Banka buys up will probably go directly into Turchanov and Yaseniuks personal stash for when they are sent packing into exile soon.

Ukrainians with any appreciable assets don't keep it there anyway - they keep it in Geneva.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ukrainians with any appreciable assets don't keep it there anyway - they keep it in Geneva. >>

Certainly a better choice than Cyprus.

Europe attributing slower sales to Russian crisis. Perhaps real, maybe convenient.

Text
  • Options
    Basic outline of the Ukrainian situation (The non-White House version)

"One significant risk in this story is that the die-hard 'military first' neocons who control US foreign policy have not encountered a real foe in a very long time. They appear to be under-appreciating what a real adversary like Russia could do if (when) push comes to shove."

"The demonization of Putin as the bad guy here is near complete in western media. But there's plenty of mischief all around and, as usual, the US finds itself with some pretty strange bedfellows as it seeks an outcome it likes."

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    That summation is both frightening and accurate Derryb.

Middle Eastern Targets over the last half century have been relative cakewalks for our robust military. Vietnam was extra pesky as we had our dear trading friends, the Chinese battling on the other side.

Putin is a tough and seemingly ruthless SOB with a strong military in his back pocket.

Hope we soon stop fretting over rogue NBA players and free condoms for coeds and address this threat with the seriousness that it demands.
  • Options

<< <i>
    "The demonization of Putin as the bad guy here is near complete in western media. But there's plenty of mischief all around and, as usual, the US finds itself with some pretty strange bedfellows as it seeks an outcome it likes." >>

You should see what the Russian media, mostly state controlled, says about the American president.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Putin is now claiming that Russian forces have withdrawn from the Ukraine border, Washington calls BS on it though.

I dont think Western media is actually all that bad on Putin, I can only imagine what Russian media has to say about Obama and Americans in general for that matter.

Funny thing a few weeks ago the market was in the red due to this crisis but now it seems to not be that much affected by it, one thing for sure is my Silver is not gaining any ground, but Im buying and stacking while its below the $20 mark.
  • Options

<< <i>Putin is now claiming that Russian forces have withdrawn from the Ukraine border, Washington calls BS on it though.

I dont think Western media is actually all that bad on Putin, I can only imagine what Russian media has to say about Obama and Americans in general for that matter.

Funny thing a few weeks ago the market was in the red due to this crisis but now it seems to not be that much affected by it, one thing for sure is my Silver is not gaining any ground, but Im buying and stacking while its below the $20 mark. >>

I was going to disclose what they are calling Obama and the piece of fruit he is often depicted with - but CU Forums blocks those sorts of references apparently.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Putin is now claiming that Russian forces have withdrawn from the Ukraine border, Washington calls BS on it though.

Funny thing a few weeks ago the market was in the red due to this crisis but now it seems to not be that much affected by it, one thing for sure is my Silver is not gaining any ground, but Im buying and stacking while its below the $20 mark. >>

I was going to disclose what they are calling Obama and the piece of fruit he is often depicted with - but CU Forums blocks those sorts of references apparently. >>

There is no need too because it doesnt matter, the relationship between the United States and Russia has and always will be about each side not trusting each other, hatred, and the hopes of a downfall and collapse for the other country.
  • Options

<< <i>There is no need too because it doesnt matter, the relationship between the United States and Russia has and always will be about each side not trusting each other, hatred, and the hopes of a downfall and collapse for the other country. >>

Probably not a good time to be an American on the Space Station......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There is no need too because it doesnt matter, the relationship between the United States and Russia has and always will be about each side not trusting each other, hatred, and the hopes of a downfall and collapse for the other country. >>

Probably not a good time to be an American on the Space Station...... >>

Bad strategic thinking caused by congress not funding NASA - let alone any replacement for the Space Shuttle. Word in Russia now is that once the American astronauts come back to earth they are not ferrying anymore up there. So the USA funded the better part of a space station that it has absolutely no way other than RosKosmos to get there.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Bad strategic thinking caused by congress not funding NASA - let alone any replacement for the Space Shuttle. Word in Russia now is that once the American astronauts come back to earth they are not ferrying anymore up there. So the USA funded the better part of a space station that it has absolutely no way other than RosKosmos to get there. >>

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Bad strategic thinking caused by congress not funding NASA - let alone any replacement for the Space Shuttle. Word in Russia now is that once the American astronauts come back to earth they are not ferrying anymore up there. So the USA funded the better part of a space station that it has absolutely no way other than RosKosmos to get there. >>

image >>

USA! USA! USA!
  • Options
    it's obvious Russia wants war - one only need look at how close they put their country to our european/asian military bases.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>it's obvious Russia wants war - one only need look at how close they put their country to our european/asian military bases. >>

I know rightimage These people need to be shown who is boss.

There are even countries in the mid east that had the nerve to set up shop on top of our oil too. image
  • Options
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sure enough, moments ago the soldier for hire company followed up with a second denial, when as German Zeit reported, "the U.S. security services denied a ZEIT ONLINE report, that it has put mercenaries in Ukraine.

Of course, since no western entity, and certainly not the company itself, would ever admit its involvement in the Ukraine as it would promptly crash the official US foreign policy track claiming US non-involvement in Ukraine, none of this is surprising.... Finally, in this proxy war between west and east, to believe that the US won't throw everything it can at Putin is naive, and as such the involvement of trained US mercenaries in Ukraine is beyond debate. >>

Air-tight logic, that. Who could ask for proof more compelling than this?

<< <i>However what is certainly surprising and far more interesting, is the persistent attempts by the German press to discredit none other than their biggest "Developed world" ally, the US. It is almost as if someone (a quite wealthy and powerful someone) has material interests that diverge with those of the Obama administration, and hence converge with those of Putin. >>

This is probably the more important point of Bronco's citation here. The Economist had an informative article about Russophilia in contemporary Germany and its source:

Link to Economist article

I'll have to say, the information erupting from Ukraine is such an amalgam of mixed views, wishful thinking, cynicism, propaganda, distortions, guesses and pontificating that I have personally found it nearly impossible to assess or understand what is actually true there.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    "I'll have to say, the information erupting from Ukraine is such an amalgam of mixed views, wishful thinking, cynicism, propaganda, distortions, guesses and pontificating that I have personally found it nearly impossible to assess or understand what is actually true there" dpoole

My sentiments exactly. I must say this thread and all it's contributors have been a valuable resource in my endeavor to understand a complicated world event. Take care. jws

• Options

<< <i>"I'll have to say, the information erupting from Ukraine is such an amalgam of mixed views, wishful thinking, cynicism, propaganda, distortions, guesses and pontificating that I have personally found it nearly impossible to assess or understand what is actually true there" dpoole >>

One must understand that the US and NATO strongly desire and may be well responsible for all the turmoil as it gives them an entry.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>I'll have to say, the information erupting from Ukraine is such an amalgam of mixed views, wishful thinking, cynicism, propaganda, distortions, guesses and pontificating that I have personally found it nearly impossible to assess or understand what is actually true there. >>

Certainly one of the more difficult conflicts to follow. Guess the WWII, put on a uniform and fight it out type warfare is a relic of the past century.
  • Options

<< <i> blackwater mercs in Ukraine >>

Russia has been doing the same thing. Those balaclava wearing, insignia free uniformed operatives in Crimea and in E. Ukraine are nothing more than anonymous Spetnaz troops - their elite forces. Their one slip up in Crimea was Russian license plates on their vehicles. Even I have a Ukrainian plate on my car, still.
  • Options
    I'll have to say, the information erupting from Ukraine is such an amalgam of mixed views, wishful thinking, cynicism, propaganda, distortions, guesses and pontificating that I have personally found it nearly impossible to assess or understand what is actually true there.

I agree. Just like here.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but, but, "one must understand..."

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I fear what is going to happen is that it will turn into a "frozen conflict" - nothing will happen for awhile and then it will explode into a full blown no holds barred ethno cleansing conflict like Bosnia.

The problem is the government in Ukraine has little real legitimacy, but then so do these so called "People's Republics" in the east.

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Joe Biden's Son gets a spot on the board of Ukraines largest gas producer >>

Incestuous den of vipers. (apology to vipers)
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That figures.
  • Options

<< <i>Joe Biden's Son gets a spot on the board of Ukraines largest gas producer >>

prime example of David Stockman's term "crony capitalism."

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    So, who's paying Blackwater on the 400 mercenaries that just went over? This is really ugly.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    He probably IS the best qualified of those available to serve in that capacity on their Board...whose name is Biden. image
  • Options
    "So, who's paying Blackwater on the 400 mercenaries that just went over? This is really ugly" jmski52.

jmski, do you have any more info on Mercenaries movement and location, mission, etc. Or anyone else, with info. Take care. jws

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, who's paying Blackwater on the 400 mercenaries that just went over? This is really ugly. >>

NASA
  • Options

<< <i>So, who's paying Blackwater on the 400 mercenaries that just went over? This is really ugly. >>

Ulitmately? most likly a Mexican cartel. image

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    The Blackwater story is new to me, but the CIA has been funding the coup d'etat government in Kyiv.
  • Options

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    It gets even sicker - Biden's kid is now on the board of Ukraines' largest gas producer.

This is every bit as bad as anything Putin's been doing for the past 12 years.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Formerly Blackwater - reported on various sites >>

This is the same citation that Bronco linked earlier. While I'm not disputing that some sort of "Blackwater" types may have been hired, this source does not establish that it is true. It has a tone of innuendo, and the "I wouldn't put it beyond them..." kind of allegation.

I may be wrong and make no claim of special knowledge, but this sort of article is representative of what frustrates me: a leap from some murky phenomena to interpretation born in a patently preconceived premise.

I'm also troubled by the moral equivalence ("...every bit as bad as anything Putin has been doing...") with this crass bit of Biden nepotism (the jailing of political opposition on trumped-up charges, the emasculation of any media opposition, the wanton kleptocracy by political allies, the buying-off of the populace with gas/oil proceeds while letting the rest of the economy lie fallow).

I'm willing to accept that the U.S. and the E.U. may have blundered in some ways since the fall of the USSR, and that self-serving interests (as always) are coincidentally afoot. It does seem to me, though, that absolutist points of view ("No! It's really the US and the CIA that is the font of all evil and despotism in the world") are a distortion, and indeed are surprising but telling (IMHO) reflections of how we have lost faith in our institutions.
  • Options
  • Options
    Russian threat to block access to space station in 2020 is a stupid move that could well backfire. Oh well, Putins mistake.
  • Options
    I may be wrong and make no claim of special knowledge, but this sort of article is representative of what frustrates me: a leap from some murky phenomena to interpretation born in a patently preconceived premise.
    I'm also troubled by the moral equivalence

What frustrates me is the systemic failure of our "news" media. And discussions of moral equivalence are relevant only if you want to consider what both sides are using as issues. If you want a diatribe, I can provide one.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Russia Promising to Block USA Access to Space Station >>

I guess that gives us 6 years to develop and implement a new space shuttle program.

No problem, I am sure. image
  • Options

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>Russia Dumps 20% Of Its US Treasury Holdings

Economic sanction blowback? >>

Wait til they convince China to do the same thing. Russia has a lot more financial sway getting China to do something than the USA does.
  • Options

Looks like Belgium's the place we don't want to piss off.
  • Options

<< <i>

Looks like Belgium's the place we don't want to piss off. >>

Belgium is most likely fronting for the FED since the FED is publicly tapering.

Fed Laundering Treasury Purchases to Disguise What’s Happening

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comical how this story has been spun.

Russia's economy is in collapse. They need money. They need to prop up the ruble which has also collapsed. In a panic you sell the most visible and liquid investment you have--US Treasuries. Russia's holdings are very small--Bill Gross of Pimco funds owns more than the Russia. I hope Russia sells all its treasuries. Then lets see them go to the market and try to dump their other holdings.

Very amusing how people actually think the Russia would be hurting the USA by selling treasuries. Where and how does this thought process arise?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Looks like Belgium's the place we don't want to piss off. >>

Belgium is most likely fronting for the FED since the FED is publicly tapering.

Fed Laundering Treasury Purchases to Disguise What’s Happening >>

The link to this blog is vulnerable to the heartbleed virus.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear