Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair to this guess the grade...I will say 1 thing...the 1900 is absolutely original skinned!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My numbers are spot on with Doug's:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a stab too, although I have a harder time with the VF/EF's

AU55
    VF30
    EF40

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    I wanted a 58+ on the 1900!
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    I apologize for breaking up the guess the grade the game, (55,35,40) which are great coins by the way, but here is my new add to the registry set. As
    many know I have been searching for an AU 97-O dime with no success other than two Gennies (ouch). Attached
    is my most recent addition to the set. PCGS 45, and darker than I would prefer, but until that elusive AU appears this
    is it.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 97-O JWM image

I see you added the grade ... I though it might go 50 at first glance

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Based on Darrell's hints I'll change my guess on the 1900 to AU58.

Doug
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guesses on Darrell's halves: 55, 35, 45.

Justin - nice 13-S.

Joe - Great addition, looks like a 50 from the pics.

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    JMW...Nice dime! What interruption?

Well the tale of 2 of the coins. The 01-O and 03-O were both freed from PCGS 40 holders awhile back by barberfanatic...Cary. I bought the 03-O from him awhile back and sent it in. It came back cleaned! So!!! I cracked it out and sent it back in...now it's a 45! image Well....I'm sure everyone knows by now that for some reason PCGS doesn't seem to like to give me 40's....why I don't know. That 01-O blows the 2 35's away I have had...yes it is now in a 35 holder. Sure did want it back in a 40 holder and feel it is well worthy of a grade of 40 considering the crap strikes most 01-O's have.

Now...for the 1900. I think you guys are mistaking light toning on the cheek for rub. The coin is an absolute irredesant stunner! Next hint....It did get a + grade!
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Darrell,

What are you telling us, it's an AU58+ ?
    It's a nice coin - yes - a 58, maybe not.

The 01-O from Cary is really a nice coin and as
    I mentioned - a 35 on a bad day & a 40 on a good one !

Sitting here in the Atlanta airport waiting for my
    connection flight home - I have been traveling 14
    hours so far and won't get home for another 4 hours. >>

Mike...you should have told me you had a layover in Hotlanta! Might couldda broken the monatony for ya!

Perhaps I should throw more light at that 1900...not gonna say anymore yet! image
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭✭
    Darrell, if you're going to say it's MS, it doesn't look like it in the pics.

Mike, buy the 03-o from Darrell so you release your king fu grip on the one in your set. image
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Darrell, if you're going to say it's MS, it doesn't look like it in the pics.

Mike, buy the 03-o from Darrell so you release your king fu grip on the one in your set. image >>

Perhaps I need your assistance again....was gonna show the 1900 slab but still couldn't get PCGS to accept an upload from my file already uploaded here...what the heck am I doing wrong?

That 03-O may or may not be forsale...I have to look! image
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1896-S Barber Quarter is ex Heritage 01/2012 Sale. ...A rather quick turn on this one!

• Options

<< <i>The 1896-S Barber Quarter is ex Heritage 01/2012 Sale. ...A rather quick turn on this one!

Not the nicest coin, I can see why it wouldn't stick in a serious collection.

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>Justin,

I really like my 03-O - it came from
    a friend's collection, ex: Tyler Child.
    >>

Yes we've been through this before. image

<< <i>Perhaps I need your assistance again....was gonna show the 1900 slab but still couldn't get PCGS to accept an upload from my file already uploaded here...what the heck am I doing wrong? >>

You can always email the pics to me. image
  • Options
    Darrell- I agree the 01-0 is very close if not a full 40.. Goes back to previously stated opinions on the 35/40 subtle if not inconsistent grading. The 01-0 I bought a year or so ago in a 40 holder is in my opinion overgraded.. One of the weaker of the weak strikes and beyond that just too much wear/not enough luster to warrant the grade... 30/35 max.

As far as the 1900 goes... Sounds like there's no wear by stating we are mistaking tone for rub and as a + grade has been confirmed, it is likely a 63+. Mathematically improbable to get the coveted AU+ as there are just a handful out there and all in 58+ even though lower grades "qualify".

I said in previous posts how hard it is to distinguish the subtleties of AU or MS grades without coin in hand due to the nature of the grade weighing heavily on luster and surface quality .. Both requiring in hand examination to make the best assessment .. My 2 (or 50) cents

So I'm guessing 63+
    imageimage
  • Options
    We have a winner...Scott....It is an MS63+

I really should have taken the pictures of the 1900 at a couple of angles....as it does look like it has wear in my picture. Most MS barber 63 and under always seem to exhibit what I take as cabinet friction on the cheek. The 05-O I have in 63 has a touch...and I have been tempted a couple of times to crack it and try for a 58+! Even asked a couple of big slabbers who play the game if they thought I could get PCGS to downgrade it...There rsponse was no way.
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Ahh!! Very Good Sir! Very nice coin ... Reinforces the point of the difficulty in distinguishing AU from MS grades from a picture.

We surely didn't need Hercule Peroit to figure that one out though! Synonymous with guessing what comes between H and J in the Latin alphabet!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Darrell,

That was a great coin for gtg. You had us all stumped. Very nice coin as well, congrats!

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>Darrell,

That was a great coin for gtg. You had us all stumped. Very nice coin as well, congrats!

Doug >>

image I thought so too! I think Scott was the only 1 to really pick up on my hints!

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Barber folks!! Just ventured in to your arena with my first purchase. Love the look of this 09 but was wondering about the small hairline scratches that can be seen in the photos. Does this example look correctly
    graded at an ms65?? Don't mind the weakness/flatness in the arrow feathers, would trade the strike for the overall look. Considering putting together an 09 mint set. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Mel
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    The 09 half and 92 dime are some sweet blazers. Awesome coins! T
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Nice 1892 dime Mike!
    Here is my newest Newp. Again sorry for the terrible pictures. No luster.. image
    imageimage
  • Options
    Justin is gonna post some pics of my next guess the grade! 70 down and 3 to go! image
  • Options
    Another Guess The Grade from Darrell!!! And I LOVE this coin!!!! image

• Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I think the lines on the obverse were part of the planchet process and not part of a wipe and toned over time. I definitely could be wrong though. image
  • Options
    Mike - Fantastic dimes

Very nice 58 KAz.. Really nice

Darrell that 03-S is a beauty!!!! i know someone with a crusty 40 looking to upgrade

Justin - great camera work.

Exemplary 58 if think (alternatively a 62... If there sre sone wispy hairlines, its dificult to get above 63).

The originality triggers my salivary glands. The luster is dripping. The strike is good but the eye appeal takes my breath away.

Just trying to get into PCGS mindset. A lot of the mottled toners that look 64 to me end up as 62s even with a solid strike and great luster;... So afraid of what lurks benra
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>..................Justin - great camera work............... >>

They aren't my pics, I just host them for Darrell and I think he is really improving on his pics!
  • Options
    * Typos from the iPhone .. KAJ and all the other misspellings and botching of the English language
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>..................Justin - great camera work............... >>

They aren't my pics, I just host them for Darrell and I think he is really improving on his pics! >>

Wish I could claim the Pic's but I can't. I am curious how my pictures will turn out! I think I have scared everyone away from guessing after my 63+! image

Edit...Just got thrown off by Scott's post...he did guess...sortta....but gots ta go 1 way or the other! image
  • Options
    I'll take a shot. These high grades aren't for me but I would like to learn as much as I can. I say it's a 64.
  • Options
    MS62 on the 03-S half.

Doug
  • Options
    Below are two examples of coins acquired at different times from unrelated sources. In the two examples, I found the two coin pairs to have very similar appearances. Strike, surface quality, toning and overall look to be strikingly similar.

The first example are two 1892-S Barbers. One an 1892-S Quarter, the other a 92-S Half Dollar. The quarter was purchased on TT 6 weeks after another member bought one in the same grade. I was the under-bidder to the first 92-S Quarter. In the case of the 2nd 92-S offering, the coin sold for about half of the first auction. Maybe it is just me, but I find this coin to be very attractive and solid for the grade and I was quite surprised there was not as much action/interest. Unless the first coin was a two horse race where the second under bidder was 10 furlongs back, it would appear the general consensus was this 2nd offering was ugly or at least inferior to the first. 92-S PCGS AU Quarters are not auctioned very often. Selling as low as it did, I thought for sure I was buying a dog. As it turned out, I very much like this coin. While the toning is splotchy, it is very attractive in a mahogany wood stain color with glassy almost PL surfaces and nice detail. The accompanying 1892-S Half was courtesy of Walt's Brier Creek Set .. The color and tonality is similar to the quarter though not as splotchy. The Half Dollar has more proof like qualities than the quarter. The two grades though not identical, are similar.

1892-S Half PCGS "xx" / 1892-S Quarter - PCGS "xx" (Half Dollar courtesy of Walt Kennedy):

imageimage

imageimage

The second set of images are of an 1894 Quarter and 1905 Half. I actually like the 94 Quarter more than the half and I love the half ... The 94 has one of the deepest strikes of any Barber I have. The surfaces have zero hairlines and the tone and luster are just amazing in hand. The 1905 Half may look familiar to some - distinguished by the cut on the bridge of the nose but more so by the incredibly original surfaces and peripheral tone. This coin is an ex-Steve from the forum ( aka Patches) coin. My photos are embarrassingly bad but were done quickly (and at 230am) .. There is a plenty of luster which is absent from the photos .. the color and texture are close so imagine luster peeking through these beautiful surfaces and you will get an idea...Both coins in this case are in the same grade and again almost identically toned looks. One would think each respective pair of coins spent generations stored together in the same location but in neither case is this true.

1905 Half PCGS "xx" / 1894 Quarter PCGS "xx" :

imageimage

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Amazing how hard it is to get the lighting to properly depict the coins. Trying the 1894-1905 in different lighting

imageimage

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    This is what happens when you do things at 3am LOL:

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess 58 on the 03-S.

That 09 half in MS65 was a beauty.

Scott - Interesting coins, tough getting pics that show what the coin looks like in hand.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Scott,

All that matters is that you're happy with your 92-S quarter. I won the first AU53 92-S quarter you mentioned because it had the exact look I was after, and I put in a huge bid.
    When I see a coin I really want, price is of little concern. Everyone has different priorities and tastes in their collecting pursuits, that's part of what makes our hobby so great!
    Good luck as you continue to add to your impressive collection.

Doug
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Barber folks!! Just ventured in to your arena with my first purchase. Love the look of this 09 but was wondering about the small hairline scratches that can be seen in the photos. Does this example look correctly
    graded at an ms65?? Don't mind the weakness/flatness in the arrow feathers, would trade the strike for the overall look. Considering putting together an 09 mint set. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Mel
    imageimage >>

Great looking 1909 Half, Mel... I like that one better than the one in my set I think image Well done and good luck with the 1909 set image
  • Options
    Well! The 03-S Is in a 58 holder. Just has the slightest rub on the cheek which many 63 and under MS coins have. I guess most know my goal so it was easy to figure from my posts it wasn't in an MS holder!(which I'm glad it isn't) LOL! 70 down and 3 to go! image

If I have time I have some more interesting guess the grades. 4 weekends away from home at shows with all the other stuff in between!
  • Options
    I am in love with this series!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file