Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

1777879808183»

Comments

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - I especially like both the 1908 and 1909 in 55, that came in pocket change. Perfect, original look.

JT - Congrats on the returns from out hosts. All are nice, but the 06-O is special IMO. What a look.

Pics for this AM, my only barber newp from the ANA, PC53. It seems nice AU/MS quarters were not to be found. Hope others had more luck than me.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the forum has gone into hang-up mode like the last thread did. image

Lots of nice coins posted!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the forum has gone into hang-up mode like the last thread did. image

Lots of nice coins posted! >>

Ok, my fine feathered friend, you should open a PhotoBucket account TODAY !!
    No excuses... No more relying on Justin... Get busy ... Let's see the stuff that is
    tucked away in all those sets of yours. It's obvious you can take an image ( we see
    your Halves on eBay all the time ) and it's a simple matter to add PhotoBucket into
    the mix.

No more excuses..."I can't figure it out".... If this old guy can do it, so can a young
    man such as yourself....( yes, I know "young" is a relative term ! )

Justin...stop posting for him... he can so it by himself. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Vern, nice coin, at least you found something you liked and I'm sure you enjoyed yourself to boot.
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Been while since I posted an image .. I have been assembling a raw set of Barber Quarters for about 2 years .. well actually it is more like 6-7 years. I began the task back then. But then I started concentrating much more time & energy in my slabbed half dollar and quarter sets .. thus, the raw set took a back seat .. In fact, I actually pulled dozens of half dollars and quarters from the two raw sets and submitted them with the help of Liz Coggan to PCGS .. The majority of coins straight graded and the range was anywhere from VF30 to AU58... Over time, as I wanted the slabbed sets to be primarily in choice AU grades, I eventually upgraded the VF/XF coins and made the mistake of selling the VF/XF coins. I considered cracking them back out for the album but decided it made more sense to sell them and look for raw coins for the raw set.. Mistake. Many of those coins were one of a kind quality. ..Having sold some of the nicest VF-XF BQ I have ever personally owned, I know now and I actually knew then, replacing them just wasn't feasible .. amongst them an 1899-S; 1898-S; 1893-S; 1892-S; 1900-S all in the VF35-XF40 range as graded by PCGS..

Anyway - here are a couple of raw newps I added to my raw quarter set. I originally wanted the whole set in XF40-AU50 with AU coins not being the frosty lustrous type; but rather coins with full or nearly full detail but not frosty sliders. Dirty

The set is now 50+ coins complete ... only the 1892-O is a high end AU 55/58, albeit a terrific, virgin skinned natural looking light silver. It is actually nicer than the 1892-O/PCGS58 in the Beantown Reg...

Some highlights of the set listed in order of lowest to highest grade: The 1897-S is a raw F-12; probably one of only a few I would like to replace/upgrade .. I can't bring myself to crack the 35 CMM, as the holder is more about protecting the coin than anything else.... (I am considering buying another forum members XF as we speak) ... The 1897-O was a PCGS F-15; posted a few pages back by myself and Barberkeys ..... The bulk of the set are VF-XF. The 1896-O, 1898, 1900, 1903-S, 1906, 1909-S are all VF20-35.. The 1903-S is a little rough. The 1909-S was an NGC VF25 cracked a while back, and is as choice and appealing as the 1908-S seen on a recent page here ... Just the other day I was browsing eBay and ran across a very nice looking 1909-S Raw VF25/30 that looked original and appealing for $30 or best offer - I tossed a $25 offer and was accepted ... I have it in hand and it is quite nice but I think I like the ex-NGC coin better anyway ... The 1911-D and 1912-S are both very nice VF25 ..
    Much of the set is XF and many are very appealing coins like the 1899 shown the previous page.. I was fortunate to obtain a beautiful 1908 a perfect XF45 from Jim Dimmick (Thanks Jim!) a month or so ago; the 1895 was a PCGS XF45 and Doug probably knows that coin as it was his long ago .. I cracked it out a few months back and it looks perfectly in place where it is now.. a perfect very choice 45. The 1894 is a tad dark but it is a very nice, unmessed with attractive and wholesome 40 .. the 1901-O was a recent raw pickup and is a deep skinned all original beauty; weakly struck as typical - despite the wings of the eagle only being 2/3 to 3/4 complete, it is a true XF as the overall design features and look are XF IMO. The 1905-O was also a recent raw purchase and is a liner 35/40 .. Unfortunately there was a little bit of gunk on the reverse which came off with acetone .. But I am fairly certain it was PVC ; there is scarring to the surface especially visible under strong magnification (ED).. only trace amounts and the coin itself was so appealing I have decided I am keeping it all the same.. finding 1905-O Quarters in XF especially with an appealing look is not the easiest task one can undertake. The 1907-O was an NGC XF45 and has very smooth surfaces with a rusty brown/silver consistent color throughout both the obverse and the reverse. I realize the 08-S is supposed to be one of the toughies but I have a small hoard going in VF=AU (5 coins).. The 1908-S that was destined for this set for months was a former NGC 30, (recently posted by Barberkeys in the NGC holder). It has never been an official part of the set as I have left it certified until recently.. Of course now that it is cracked, I just picked up a pretty darn nice raw XF .. I still think I will use the NGC30 coin as it is simply superb quality.. the XF45 is a very nice coin so the decision is not as easy as it sounds.
    The balance, maybe 7 coins are technically AU including one of my 1893 Philly coins .. this one was raw, then graded AU53 by PCGS a few months ago .. Now it is raw again - (what a waste of time and money having it graded was), the aforementioned 1892-O. 1907, 1911, 1905-S (AU details; cleaned) and the 1898-O

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, Scott. And I LOVE the 01o and 05o!!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like the forum has gone into hang-up mode like the last thread did. image

Lots of nice coins posted! >>

Ok, my fine feathered friend, you should open a PhotoBucket account TODAY !!
    No excuses... No more relying on Justin... Get busy ... Let's see the stuff that is
    tucked away in all those sets of yours. It's obvious you can take an image ( we see
    your Halves on eBay all the time ) and it's a simple matter to add PhotoBucket into
    the mix.

No more excuses..."I can't figure it out".... If this old guy can do it, so can a young
    man such as yourself....( yes, I know "young" is a relative term ! )

Justin...stop posting for him... he can so it by himself. image >>

Mike! What does my post have to do with posting pictures! I had to make the 3rd post to a new page before I could see the latest posts....just like the original thread did!
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Nice quarters, Scott...I'm sure it will look terrific when completed! image
  • Options
    Darrell,

Your posts are getting hung up ? I thought you were inferring the Thread had dried up
    and you were hinting that more needed to post - and carry the ball - adding images.
    I'll pay closer attention to how this thread reacts to posts and how quickly they appear.

Vern,

Very attractive 1908-D Quarter. Has a good look to it.
    How was the meeting of the BCCS ?

Scott,

Nice group of Quarters. I started reading your post but my eyes have trouble
    following along a line of sixty odd words. I lost track of your message and its
    just too difficult to follow. I'm going to copy your post, then shorten the length
    of each line so its easier to follow / read. No offense meant. Many posters never
    use the return key - so - you are not alone.

I'll post the balance of my Liberty Head Nickels after I've edited your post.
    Again, no offense meant, none what so ever.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Been while since I posted an image .. I have been assembling a raw set of Barber Quarters for about 2 years
    .. well actually it is more like 6-7 years. I began the task back then. But then I started concentrating much more
    time & energy in my slabbed half dollar and quarter sets .. thus, the raw set took a back seat ..

In fact, I actually pulled dozens of half dollars and quarters from the two raw sets and submitted them with the
    help of Liz Coggan to PCGS.The majority of coins straight graded and the range was anywhere from VF30 to AU58...
    Over time, as I wanted the slabbed sets to be primarily in choice AU grades, I eventually upgraded the VF/XF coins
    and made the mistake of selling the VF/XF coins.

I considered cracking them back out for the album but decided it made more sense to sell them and look for raw
    coins for the raw set..: Mistake.Many of those coins were one of a kind quality. ..Having sold some of the nicest
    VF-XF BQ I have ever personally owned, I know now and I actually knew then, replacing them just wasn't feasible
    .mongst them an 1899-S; 1898-S; 1893-S; 1892-S; 1900-S all in the VF35-XF40 range as graded by PCGS.

Anyway - here are a couple of raw newps I added to my raw quarter set. I originally wanted the whole set in
    XF40-AU50 with AU coins not being the frosty lustrous type; but rather coins with full or nearly full detail but
    not frosty sliders. Dirty

The set is now 50+ coins complete ... only the 1892-O is a high end AU 55/58, albeit a terrific, virgin skinned
    natural looking light silver. It is actually nicer than the 1892-O/PCGS58 in the Beantown Reg...

Some highlights of the set listed in order of lowest to highest grade:

The 1897-S is a raw F-12; probably one of only a few I would like to replace/upgrade ..
    I can't bring myself to crack the 35 CMM, as the holder is more about protecting the coin than anything else.
    (I am considering buying another forum members XF as we speak) ...

The 1897-O was a PCGS F-15; posted a few pages back by myself and Barberkeys ..... The bulk of the set are VF-XF.
    The 1896-O, 1898, 1900, 1903-S, 1906, 1909-S are all VF20-35.. The 1903-S is a little rough.

The 1909-S was an NGC VF25 cracked a while back, and is as choice and appealing as the 1908-S seen on a recent
    page here. Just the other day I was browsing eBay and ran across a very nice looking 1909-S Raw VF25/30 that looked
    original and appealing for $30 or best offer - I tossed a $25 offer and was accepted ... I have it in hand and it is quite
    nice but I think I like the ex-NGC coin better anyway.

The 1911-D and 1912-S are both very nice VF25. Much of the set is XF and many are very appealing coins like the 1899
    shown the previous page.. I was fortunate to obtain a beautiful 1908 a perfect XF45 from Jim Dimmick (Thanks Jim!)
    a month or so ago; the 1895 was a PCGS XF45 and Doug probably knows that coin as it was his long ago.
    I cracked it out a few months back and it looks perfectly in place where it is now.. a perfect very choice 45.

The 1894 is a tad dark but it is a very nice, unmessed with attractive and wholesome 40 .. the 1901-O was a recent
    raw pickup and is a deep skinned all original beauty; weakly struck as typical - despite the wings of the eagle only
    being 2/3 to 3/4 complete, it is a true XF as the overall design features and look are XF IMO.

The 1905-O was also a recent raw purchase and is a liner 35/40 .. Unfortunately there was a little bit of gunk
    on the reverse which came off with acetone .But I am fairly certain it was PVC ; there is scarring to the surface
    especially visible under strong magnification (ED).. only trace amounts and the coin itself was so appealing I have
    decided I am keeping it all the same; finding 1905-O Quarters in XF especially with an appealing look is not the
    easiest task one can undertake.

The 1907-O was an NGC XF45 and has very smooth surfaces with a rusty brown/silver consistent color throughout
    both the obverse and the reverse. I realize the 08-S is supposed to be one of the toughies but I have a small hoard
    going in VF=AU (5 coins).. The 1908-S that was destined for this set for months was a former NGC 30,

(recently posted by Barberkeys in the NGC holder). It has never been an official part of the set as I have left it
    certified until recently. Of course now that it is cracked, I just picked up a pretty darn nice raw XF.I still think I
    will use the NGC30 coin as it is simply superb quality.. the XF45 is a very nice coin so the decision is not as easy
    as it sounds.

The balance, maybe 7 coins are technically AU including one of my 1893 Philly coins .. this one was raw, then
    graded AU53 by PCGS a few months ago .. Now it is raw again - (what a waste of time and money having it graded was),
    the aforementioned 1892-O. 1907, 1911, 1905-S (AU details; cleaned) and the 1898-O

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage >>

There were just too many important thoughts being jammed in one long drawn out sentence. By breaking up that post, I actually was able to read and
    thoroughly enjoy the post's content. Thanks again, Scott for your enthusiasm.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Ok, to finish the Nickels:

Grandfather's pocket change:

1912 - Grandfather's pocket change:

1912-D

1912-S

I only have a few Barber Commems...

Last but not least a coin from my father's birth year set: 1917:{ It was my gift to him on his 90th birthday celebration. }

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    You know what? Those are some very attractive dirty nickels. Just kinda staring at the images in admiration for a moment there.
    Like to single out Scott's 1901-o quarter too. Beautiful.

My favorite time of all has come: just shipped my "free" 8 coins off to the house for some opinions and plastic. Then when I least expect it- the email that my grades are ready, JOY! Expecting some genuines in the seated quarter department but think my 3 Barber entries will be fruitful.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Dave - Sorry you weren't able to make it to ANA this year, it was a lot of fun. Met up with several collector friends and had lots of discussions
    at evening meals and at the "hotel room bourses" afterwards. To me, these are the best part of going to big shows.
    Didn't see a lot of barber material that interested me besides the 08-D qtr I posted yesterday, but still found a couple of Indian Cents and
    a nice capped bust qtr for my growing collection of early material. I will post a picture of it in a seperate thread.

Scott - Your passion for your collection shows and it's my good fortune to be able to see many of your coins in hand. I look forward to the next pkg.
    Your raw 01-O looks marvelous, and as I recall, the one you have in a 45 slab is stellar as well. Like the other 2 as well.

Mike - Wonderful completion to your V nicks. Love those pocket change ones. And the barber commems are a special bonus..

Dennis - Look forward to hearing the results of your submission. Another 09-O in there????

Pics for this AM, from Scott's collection, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    That 1900-O 25c looks perfect, nice coin!
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There were just too many important thoughts being jammed in one long drawn out sentence. >>

Hi Mike - I do tend to babble - no doubt.. Working on the sweet balance that Goldilocks often spoke of whilst visiting that cottage on the way to Grandma's house. With me it does tend to be all or nothing... But, I was a stickler for grammar and creative writing, even if it was 30 years ago, and I am usually quite cognizant about maintaining good form, grammar and punctuation. The content was definitely boring, and it was most assuredly superfluous and in all likelihood redundant (except for the newps or they wouldn't be newps by definition) ... But it wasn't one long sentence image ... There were lots of sentences - 4 paragraphs even if one paragraph was one sentence in length (which is very poor form in writing ... The first sentence is the subject or topic sentence for the paragraph .. the middle sentences highlight points or facts about the subject sentence and the final sentence offers a conclusion or ties the thoughts up ..

Some post lots of pix some posts lots of words, some post both .. .

Nice coins too - the PanPac looks to have killer skin and the McKinley has appears to have a nice warm glow to it

Edit: Regarding quality of images - I suspect the majority of folks who were able to hold any of the 3 coins above I posted recently, the majority would be mos t impressed with the coin with the worst image - the 1898-O .. the 1901-O is absolutely gorgeous but you do not see the pin scratches on the reverse under the motto - the skin is lovely and the coin is super appealing for sure .. some may actually still like that one better as it is so wholesome looking. The 1905-O is borderline doggish in hand .. decent but IMHO the worst of the 3 easily .. the 98-O has screaming luster and is really appealing though . Like I believe every coin has been dipped or rinsed (lightly, 50 years ago, or otherwise) .. the coin shows no signs of tampering and the strike is as good as you will find on the New Orleans 1898 quarter .. almost as good as the 1900 New Orleans quarter above .. rare to find them struck up so well for sure !

I hope I kept this to 500 words or less image
    imageimage
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though most of my posts are one-liners, I too love to write (and read) a well thought out paragraph, page or story. I think we have quite a few excellent writers here.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, another from Scott's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I'll give that one a platinum CAC sticker if you send it to me with 10 bucks!
    More coins, less government.
  • Options

That's a fantastic 1899-O, and I agree with our hosts, it's an AU 58.
    Curious, has it been sent to CAC .... Or just alluded to ? I ask as I
    submitted equal looking Quarters recently, and they "did not pass".

I just shook my head muttering "go figure".
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Paesan - Platinum CAC, love it (and Animal House, as well).

Mike - It's just the whims of the grading gods, CAC is no exception.

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC62:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    uh uh, bump.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Bump to see Verne's new post!

Edit to add...Now I can see a very nice 03-S Quarter! image
  • Options
    It's been suggested that the current Barber Thread is beginning to stick and
    you have to post a second time to see the last post.

It's also my understanding from reading other posts, it's not just this thread,
    it's the entire system has a hiccup ... But, I'll start by adding links to this post
    in awhile with editing it - and do the same with The Barber Mega Thread - Part Three

Once this latest Thread is up and running - I think all future posts should be
    limited to Part Three.

To be continued.... Ok... we're moving... see the link below to locate us....

Ok... here's The Link to the Barber Mega Thread - Part Three

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SAM5969
    Definition of insanity = my attempts at coin photography (Justin nailed it.. Perseverance aside!)

Here is the NGC grade of the 1906-O. It is one of those coins that grades 58 one day and 62 another. There is no high point rub or luster break that I can detect. However, the luster blemish (as described by myself for lack of a better word in my numismatic vocabulary and a couple of tiny ticks may result Ina 58 grade. I believe the coin to be a truly mint state coin.. Undoubtedly, a very available coin in MS60-MS64 on the cheek

I was just digging around in the old part 2 Barber Thread and came across this Quarter. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago with the plan of cracking it out and submitting it to PCGS in hopes of a 58. It has that look to me.....
    I love them Barber Halves.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file