Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - Look forward to pics of your micro O dime.

Scott - If you're only going to have one barber half, this would be a good one to keep.

Justin - I'll guess 35 on the 04-S.

Pics for this AM, newp, thanks Scott, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Another group of fantastic coins, the 1900 O is about as perfect as an AU coin can get and one of the most beautiful that I've ever seen.

The 1904 S is just the type of coin that really appeals to me, I like the toning especially the blue/grayish toning. It's really hard for me to guess grades from pics, but to me it looks like the detail around the head band is a little weak, I would still say it's an XF40.

Vern, another beautiful quarter to look at, it's great to wake up in the morning and see what you guys have managed to find over the years. I am getting anxious for the Chicago show to begin, I feel good about finding something nice for my collections both raw and slab.
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin, My hunch is 35 but seems to have more luster than should be on a VF. I'll say XF 40.

Scott, 00-O is one of my favorite dates in 55-58. I'd hoard them if I could find any! I keep finding 62-64 range or low AU, and most are messed with, even in the holders. Nice grab!

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the O mint Quarters, looking for strike and surface quality. Her's my AU58 1900-O. image

Another favorite, a 1902-O AU58 that's terrific in hand.

Craig

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern... I should have the new Micro O Dime by Wednesday. I "borrowed" the sellers' pictures,
    which I can assure you will be far nicer than mine. At first, I thought the coin looked a touch
    nicer than an AU 50. This is a very unpredicted purchase. A friend spotted it and texted me and
    although I had no intentions of ever buying a variety for this latest collection, I just couldn't
    up a tough coin such as this. Who knows, it very well may end up in a bit higher numbered holder.

Lovely luster and nearly mark free surfaces on Scott's 1900-O Quarter. Typical reverse strike
    for a New Orleans minted coin. Has good eye appeal and looks nicer than my AU 53 ( no images ).

Justin, you're helping Darrell post his coins is a wonderful act of kindness. Darrell, if I, a stupid Irishman
    can figure out Photobucket, then you should be able to do so as well. image just busting ya, Darrell.

Sorry Lenny, I do not see luster, I see the reflection of light against a silvery surface.

The grade for the 1904-S Half, I agree 100% with Vern. It's a nice VF 35. Now, I can hardly wait to hear
    it's in a VF 20 holder or some such stupid grade.

Dave, you will have a ball in Chicago. Although the BCCS meeting is on Wednesday, I believe they
    have set up a table in "Club Row" ... Last I heard they were sharing a table with the Seated Liberty
    Collectors Society.

All going to Chicago, have a great time. I know you will. Happy Hunting !!

PS: Craig... Pretty Quarters.... That 02-O looks like my old coin ... Is it ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Nice coins Craig, super toning on the 02. I'm sure it's even better in hand, pics just don't do coins like that any justice.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few weeks back I submitted 7 Barber Halves (from my set) to PCGS in NGC holders to cross at "Current" grade. They came back a couple of days ago; 6 of the 7 crossed- one of them upgraded!image A few examples:

This:

Became this:

And this:

Became this:

Notice how nicely the PCGS holder conceals the edge dings?image

And this NGC AU 53:

Became this:
    A nice unanticipated upgrade!!image

I feel quite fortunate to have this success. I'm slowly migrating my collection from NGC to PCGS; I'm about 2/3 there.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Jeff... That's probably the best submission I have ever seen for a Cross Over.

Nice little upgrade on the 98-S. image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Congratulations Jeff, some real nice stuff. This is a great post for someone like me who is not familiar with submissions in the first place. It does show there is some fairness to crossing coins, and I have to agree with the way they came out.
    Time to celebrate.

• Options
    Sorry old buddy (MFH), I've had the 02-O for a long time. In fact, AU58s were not in vogue back in the day of this acquisition.
    Craig

• Options
    Thanks for the kind words. The other 3 coins that crossed were:
      1896 S NGC AU 50 to PCGS AU 50
      1897 NGC AU 55 to PCGS AU 55
      1911 D NGC AU 58 to PCGS AU 58
    I'm too lazy to post more pics at this time!

Perhaps I've been quite fortunate with my crossing. I've submitted about two dozen NGC Barber 50C to PCGS for crossover. Three of them were MS 61; I requested those at AU 58- two came back at 58 and one MS 61 (a desirable downgrade). The others were submitted to cross at "Current"; only two have not crossed. I've likely been choosing my more desirable NGC coins (without giving thought) to submit, so my luck could very well change.
  • Options
    Mike, You're probably right about the reflection. Nice nickels, by the way.

Jeff, Amazing!

Craig, Coming in strong as usual.

Scott, You're 00-O half is destined for South Florida.

Paesan
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Scott, You're 00-O half is destined for South Florida. >>

How appropo your icon is a fish ...
    I can see it now ... 20 years from now telling the grand kids about the Big One that (almost?) got away

Unfortunately the bait is VERY Expensive : Caviar

Edit to add: Very Big Congrats Jeff - very happy for you image .. Beautiful look to your 1896-O Half also .. Would really love it if that black line on the portrait weren't there ... a little dark but still a very Nce looking coin I bet in hand

Vern - I agree .. that 1900-O Quarter is super eye appealing .. Possibly even a PQBQ by the Pizan's standards .. If the strike from the other 1900-O I sent you, the 53 was on that coin it would be absolutely perfect... I happen to like each of those coins so parting with one wasn't too difficult.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Not just a fish, a lunker large(bucket)mouth bass!
  • Options

<< <i>Very Big Congrats Jeff - very happy for you image .. Beautiful look to your 1896-O Half also .. Would really love it if that black line on the portrait weren't there ... a little dark but still a very Nice looking coin I bet in hand . >>

Scott- Do you think I should crack the '96 O out of the holder and try a pencil eraser on the black streak? There's a chance it might come off!image

I saw you 00 O on eBay- it's sooooooooo nice. It would definitely bean, but who cares? It's likely the nicest AU I've seen in any date (although I haven't seen any of Darrell-s set; who knows what he might have). I just wish I had a spare $3K to give it a good home.
  • Options
    Jeff- Congratulations on the run of crossovers. The 96-o looks better than a 50, but I would not crack out. Perhaps reconsideration because she looks better than a 50 with or without the rim dings. JMHO.... You're on fire now on the registry.
    Mike- That V nickel set is just gorgeous. Congratulations on the 05 micro o.
    Scott- I agree that your 00-o in PC58 is what everyone would want for a 58.
    Justin- I agree with the other guesses that it is a 35. Would not surprise me to be in a 40.
    Labelman87- Those o mint quarters are some stunners
    Vern- Very nice 02-o half
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised that 00-O 1/2 of Scott's hasn't sold! I had 2 offers at that level when I listed it on ebay...but 1 player bought 1 at that level I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft. pole in 58! As soon as I can acquire a replacement for the 04-S in the guess the grade I will undo the trade at Par I made with Scott for the 00-O if he is willing! That 04-S is 1 of very few plastic purchases(trade) coins in my set! I actually think my pictures of that 04-S make it look better than it is in hand(which I think is rare for me). I didn't like it before...Yes I saw it in hand...but made the trade anyway. I still don't like it but it is filling a hole. I think if I submitted the coin it has a chance of body bagging! image The coin is a PCGS 40! There is much more contrast between the toning than my quickey pictures show.

• Options
    Jeff! You did GREAT! imageimage
  • Options

1889 - My Grandfather's Birth Year:

I know I showed these off recently - but - for continuity sake -

here they are again !! LOL

This is an uncentered Broadstrike [ per Broadstruck ]

1890 - Out of a Heritage Sale in 2010 - I guess I never had an AU - odd ....

1891 - My Grand Mother's Birth Day:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    image >>

My Favorite from your group of Libs.
  • Options
    Craig - Nice tough 'O' mint qtrs.

Jeff - Congrats on the crosses, all from NGC holders, even more impressive.
    And I wouldn't recommend using a pencil eraser on any coin.

Paesan - In some circles, you're still the turtle king.

Mike - Continued great run of V nicks. And the errors are frosting on the cake.

Pics for this AM, my other newp, also courtesy of Scott, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    The images are great - thanks again, Valente151....

Here is todays' installment:

1893 - Pocket Change - 1930's

1893 - Coin Show - 1994

1994 - Coin show - 1994

1895 - OGH - 1994

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love AU V nicks, Mike those are nice (even the 65's)...I still miss the 85 and 86 I sold many years ago.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Mike - before I even saw Valente's reply I also thought the 1891 struck on foreign planchet was not only the most fascinating but perhaps the most eye appealing (based on the image).. Sorry I always put that footnoted it's just my own experience of seeing something in hand and thinking differently of it after having seen the image.. There are a lot of very nice ones in that run but that 1891 stands alone IMO
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mike, I can't pick a favorite. They are all very beautiful. In my opinion, easily the nicest set of yours that I've seen.

Paesan
  • Options
    Ton's of nice nic's there Mike! Hard for me to associate you with the nickel's as in my mind you have a Barber Half plastered across your face! image
  • Options

....and yet, it's the Quarter that is my favorite Barber !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, I can't pick a favorite. They are all very beautiful. In my opinion, easily the nicest set of yours that I've seen.

Paesan >>

Thanks all for the congrats, but the nicest looking set is my Dime Collection.
    They are hands down the prettiest (in total) of all my sets.

Each set has a few show stoppers, and my favorite Barber is my 1901 Phila Half in 64+.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - Nice submission. There have been many, many before you that haven't received results that good.

Mike - Great run of V-Nics. Some really nice coins.

Vern - Great stuff as always.

Anyone here go after the AU55 NGC 96-S 25c?
  • Options

<< <i>

Anyone here go after the AU55 NGC 96-S 25c? >>

No, I was leery about the color... Also, did not like it
    as a 55 either. For $5500 plus juice, the price was ok.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Michael,

A "NICKEL" for your thoughts! image
    Craig

• Options
    Mike - More great V Nicks. I agree with others, too hard to pick a fav.

Justin - Looked at the 96-S in hand, better than I tought from the pics, but didn't have much luster.
    Liked the 94-O dime in 65 a lot, but I'm not enough of a barber dime guy to tie up that much money in that date.

Will be at ANA again later today.
    Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern,

I loved the look of the 94-O Dime in 65 ... But a friend said he thought
    it was a recent upgrade from a 64 and had too many spots on the obverse.
    Regardless, I still liked it. Perfect toning. Not in my budget at $14K plus juice.

I looked over the Stacks Bowers Sale for the first time last night. A friend is
    considering the 96-S Quarter in PC 65. He was at 41K, and it jumped to 45K.
    Needless to say, he is not pleased. He plays very close to the vest and rarely
    chases anything. Either he buys it at his well thought out bidding structure or
    he simply passes. He picked up these Quarters yesterday: 1895-O in PC 66 CAC
    @ $5000 plus juice; 1903-O in PC 65 ( liked it better than the 66 ) @ $3250 plus
    the juice; the 1912-S in PC 66 ( I told him this was a flat out 65 ) and he bid 65
    money for it and won it. ($2900 with the fees ).

Only one Quarter caught my eye - it's a 64+ though - and all I could do was
    dream of having it. The 1908-S in NGC - it had toning I love and was a really
    choice coin. It hammered at $1750 ( plus % ) ... Not bad really, considering
    what I paid Liz for my AU 55. In my recent working past, I would have thought
    nothing about bidding on it and worried about the money later. Not these days,
    retirement is great - if you can afford your hobbies and no longer have to work.

Ok... Mostly everybody is at the BCCS meeting right about now. I'm there in spirit.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Justin - RE: The 1896-S Quarter/ NGC-55 .. The way I see it (And I am the contrarian here so take it for the grain of salt it is) .. The fact the coin was NGC graded eliminated it from at least 50% of those potentially interested .. the remaining 50% are acutely aware Heritage "is no fool" and if the coin could have crossed it would have, (unless the consignor insisted not to for sake of time, etc.), HA would have strongly recommended doing so as it would have realized quite a bit more. They likely would have recommended crossing at Min. grade one grade lower realizing a PCGS 53 would sell for probably a few thousand more than an NGC-55 - even if the coin was not dipped or "restored" prior to doing so -- the PCGS plastic is the equivalent of whiskey glasses in some cases image

I, personally, no longer buy coins in Heritage or Stacks auctions valued at over $500 unless I or someone I trust can see them in hand or unless I am extremely confident my interpretation of the images are what the coin will look like and even then I still don't trust them . The fact Vern said it looked better in hand is great but sadly the HA images made it not look so great further killing the action. The coin almost certainly was bought by a dealer who saw the meat on the bone .. it will almost certainly be cracked, dipped and sent to PCGS where it will be graded AU53 or 55 and will be on the market within 90 days (if it is graded PCGS 53, it will certainly have the green CAC sticker) where it will sell for $8.5k-$10k. Of course, if the coin is graded say AU50 because PCGS didn't like the new cleansing, it could be awarded a gold CAC sticker, in which case the jackpot will have been hit for the dealer who bought this coin and the wining bid will increase by 100%) .. Some of the same people who rejected the NGC 55 coin will drool over the PCGS 53/55 .. The winning bidder will likely claim this "new" coin was far nicer than the that old NGC55 that sold at Heritage a few months ago.. I am so glad I was patient and waited for the next opportunity and will cost them twice as much for the exact same coin - or worse, the exact same coin, with one more layer of original skin eaten away by acidic solution - dipped, stripped and regripped - all prettied up and "collection ready" image

Again - just my take and hypothetically anticipated scenario image .. Now carry on allimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    WOW Scott,

I WANT that 1907-S in your showcase! image
    Seriously, it's a terrific and difficult coin to obtain.

I wish all BCCS members a good meeting & convention.
    Craig

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Justin - RE: The 1896-S Quarter/ NGC-55 .. The way I see it (And I am the contrarian here so take it for the grain of salt it is) .. The fact the coin was NGC graded eliminated it from at least 50% of those potentially interested .. the remaining 50% are acutely aware Heritage "is no fool" and if the coin could have crossed it would have, (unless the consignor insisted not to for sake of time, etc.), HA would have strongly recommended doing so as it would have realized quite a bit more. They likely would have recommended crossing at Min. grade one grade lower realizing a PCGS 53 would sell for probably a few thousand more than an NGC-55 - even if the coin was not dipped or "restored" prior to doing so -- the PCGS plastic is the equivalent of whiskey glasses in some cases image

I, personally, no longer buy coins in Heritage or Stacks auctions valued at over $500 unless I or someone I trust can see them in hand or unless I am extremely confident my interpretation of the images are what the coin will look like and even then I still don't trust them . The fact Vern said it looked better in hand is great but sadly the HA images made it not look so great further killing the action. The coin almost certainly was bought by a dealer who saw the meat on the bone .. it will almost certainly be cracked, dipped and sent to PCGS where it will be graded AU53 or 55 and will be on the market within 90 days (if it is graded PCGS 53, it will certainly have the green CAC sticker) where it will sell for $8.5k-$10k. Of course, if the coin is graded say AU50 because PCGS didn't like the new cleansing, it could be awarded a gold CAC sticker, in which case the jackpot will have been hit for the dealer who bought this coin and the wining bid will increase by 100%) .. Some of the same people who rejected the NGC 55 coin will drool over the PCGS 53/55 .. The winning bidder will likely claim this "new" coin was far nicer than the that old NGC55 that sold at Heritage a few months ago.. I am so glad I was patient and waited for the next opportunity and will cost them twice as much for the exact same coin - or worse, the exact same coin, with one more layer of original skin eaten away by acidic solution - dipped, stripped and regripped - all prettied up and "collection ready" image

Again - just my take and hypothetically anticipated scenario image .. Now carry on allimage >>

While I agree with a lot of the second paragraph, I am not sure about the first. For all we know, it could have been submitted raw to Heritage with the request to use NGC (not from a dealer, but an inherited coin or something along those lines). Is it believable? Not really, but it is possible.

Now the second paragraph, that is a very possible situation. The only thing I may argue with is the dipping. Although, if some idiot decided to dip the only MS67 93-S $1 (and take about a half million loss), the 96-S would be already an afterthought. But I hope it went to a collector.
  • Options

Hey, Scott. Can I borrow your crystal ball ?
    I cherry picked my Halves to send to CAC.
    Sent approximately a dozen XF-AU with nice
    rim toning. All upper end for the grade ( IMHO )
    and not one single coin passed.

Overall, only 32.5% crossed - very few Barbers
    though. Disappointing to say the least. So, now
    can I borrow that crystal ball ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

1899 - Split Planchlet:

more, later !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, had to cancel Chicago sure is good to at least look at some nice coins. Sorry to hear about your submissions, better luck next time.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I periodically check into y'all's Barber nuthouse thread image just to witness all the great coins posted. While I'm a humble type collector, I have enjoyed seeing some nice coins with some great pics (including those that aren't Todd's!). All hail!

My small contribution will be my common date dime - a new piece:

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

Catbert... That beauty belongs in Florida with its pretty sisters !!

On with the Nickels:

1900 - Grandfather found this in the 1930's

tomorrow - 05, 06, 07, 08 and 09's.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    All are very nice Mike. I especially like the 03 image
  • Options
    Mike - The 94-O dime was in a newer slab, as I recall, so it may have been a recent upgrade, but I thought the obverse speckling was part part of its overall wonderful originality.
    I viewed the 96-S qtr in 65 at Stack's. Not my cup of tea.
    Agree with you on the 08-S in NGC-64+. It was one of 3 08-S's in the auction, and was the best of the 3 IMO, better than the PC66.

Scott - Interesting take on the NGC 96-S. Wouldn't surprise me if you are right.

Mike - More wonderful V Nicks.

Dave - Sorry we won't be getting together at ANA. There'll be another time.

Catbert - Wonderful dime, thanks for posting it here.

Pics for this AM, 2 nice orig raw newps in Scott's collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Catbert, neat die crack through OF AMERICA, or at least it appears to be a crack from the pic. A fantastic addition to what otherwise is a very very beautiful dime.

Mike, great looking coins as usual, I too like the 03 the best, real nice photography by the way.

Looking forward to seeing some of the new acquisitions from the ANA show, I'm sure some of you will pick up some great coins this week.

Vern, neat pics again, I really do have to devote a little more time to my raw half set before they're all gone. Talk to you next week after the show, hope you find some great stuff this week.
  • Options

Thanks, all. The images are courtesy of Valente 151 who was kind enough to visit me a couple of weeks ago
    as he only had a glimpse of my collection at the ANA Summer Seminar last year when he took my course in
    The Coinage of Charles Barber with Glenn Holsonbake and myself.

He asked if he could practice shooting a few images - and I said have at the V Nickels. I think he did a superb
    job, considering the slabs were scratched and I did not have any PlasTex available to polish the slabs first.

I left off with my 1904... so... here is:

1907 - Grandfathers pocket change

1908 - Grandfather's pocket change:

1908 - Dwayne Sessom - Liberty Nickel Specialist

1909 - My Great Aunt's pocket change she saved for me in 1971.

1909 - Dwayne Sessom - Liberty Nickel Collector

Tomorrow's installment will be the last of the V Nickels

1910, 1911, 1912, 1912-D, 1912-S

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Ive really enjoyed looking at these nickels, Mike. Love that '08 in particular! Thanks for sharing.

Vern/Scott - Sweet raw coins this morning!

I haven't posted a coin in a while, but now that I have a little bit of time off, here are a couple of coins that just came back from a recent submission to our hosts that Im happy to be adding to my collection. Both of these submitted raw:

1912 s PC50

[image[/URL]

image[/URL]

1906 o PC35

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

This was my one crossover in this submission. Apologies if I've already posted it a while back. 1900 P….Was NGC 58, now crossed to PC58. My pics don't do it justice unfortunately.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins on your recent submission...that 06-O is taunting me!

-Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coins on your recent submission...that 06-O is taunting me!

-Steve >>

I'm having a cold sweat over the 1900 newly PCGS 58 !!
    Love that toning !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Now, that's my idea of an AU 58 !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coins on your recent submission...that 06-O is taunting me!

-Steve >>

Love the 1900 in 58 !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file