Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't believe Walt retired his set. Is he retiring them all? That guy sure loved his Barbers.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pitures takes a long time...maybe 1 day!

Yeah...Walt has a different bug...surprised the you know what outta me!
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walt still has his barber quarters, and it's going to take some serious green to finish his set of seated quarters.

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Yes.. Best wishes to Walt - He is already well on his way .. And in record time !

He has been slowly liquidating his halves for quite some time .. He offered me his 04-S in 45 last week in fact (we both agree it is closer to a 40). I declined to buy it but I know the person who will be the new care taker of it.. I actually like the VF30 that Harry Laibstain presently has for sale right now.
    imageimage
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes.. Best wishes to Walt - He is already well on his way .. And in record time !

He has been slowly liquidating his halves for quite some time .. He offered me his 04-S in 45 last week in fact (we both agree it is closer to a 40). I declined to buy it but I know the person who will be the new care taker of it.. I actually like the VF30 that Harry Laibstain presently has for sale right now. >>

I tried to deal with Laibstein on that 04-S...just don't feel it was worth the stretch. I just don't like the look of Walt's 04-S.

I think Walt's gonna finish those quarters in short order. 1 of the prompts for selling his 1/2's is he is working on a private deal for the 2 toughest quarters in the set locally!
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes.. Best wishes to Walt - He is already well on his way .. And in record time !

He has been slowly liquidating his halves for quite some time .. He offered me his 04-S in 45 last week in fact (we both agree it is closer to a 40). I declined to buy it but I know the person who will be the new care taker of it.. I actually like the VF30 that Harry Laibstain presently has for sale right now. >>

I tried to deal with Laibstein on that 04-S...just don't feel it was worth the stretch. I just don't like the look of Walt's 04-S.

I think Walt's gonna finish those quarters in short order. 1 of the prompts for selling his 1/2's is he is working on a private deal for the 2 toughest quarters in the set locally! >>

Darrell,

I passed on that 04-S myself and picked up a nice example from David Kahn,
    as a matter of fact I compared both side by side and Dave's coin was far more
    original. It's only a 40 and falls within the new parameters of my grade range.

Oh, BTW, I consigned three dozen VF Halves - all PCGS - to the Fall ANA Heritage
    Auction in October. I have an additional half dozen to consign because of the last
    group of XF/AU I picked up at Teletrade. These will more than likely be back of the
    book material, save for a great looking 1901-S in PCGS - XF 45 - ex: JMW collection.
    which I am sure will be included in the regular Barber Half section.

My set is now close to 90% of what I want it to be... Minimum grade of 40 - max of 55
    ( crusty 55 's). I just opened up my set on the Everyman's section, it's now up to date.

As with the Dimes - working on a MS Date Set, I am also working on a MS Half Dollar Set.
    No plans on a Quarter Set, yet.

Happy hunting everyone !! >>

I will be disappointed if that 03-O I wanted made it's way to Heritage. image
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>See what happens when you get to middle age ? The memory is the first thing that goes.

Edit: the only 1903-O I have ( according to PCGS ) is the one I got from Tyler in VF 25.
    Looks like I need to upgrade that one as well.

Just checked the Registry & Photobucket account - I only have one 1903-O - VF 25 - so
    there were no duplicates... Sorry... Will let you know when & if I upgrade !!

PM sent. >>

Sweet!
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Coast Coin, of all places, has a very nice lookin crusty 03-0 in PCGS VF35 for $299. I almost bought it but I've decided just to wait for a 45-58 to come to market. I asked Walt if he sti had his 03-0 and he does but he said there were 4-5 people vying for it which means that will be stratospheric ... One of the 4 dates I still need, 1912 as anazing as that may seem, will be auctioned by HA the end of this month in AU58
    imageimage
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides this thread needing a bump, I am looking for a replacement 1903-O, too.

imageimage
  • Options
    Holed - If PCGS will slab a 12 1/2 cent piece, you're in.

Here's a whole one:

imageimage

----------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Another stunning beauty Vern. I was looking at your registry set (regular and EM).. For about the 80th time. Still amazed at the quality of them all. The mint state coins alone, particularly the 94-0, 97-0, 98-0 & S, 04-0, 09-0 (both the 55 and 61), 11-D and 14-S alonatelier lifelong accomplishments. They all look super for the assigned grades (many look under graded).. Too many to mention (01-S in 35 so original etc.)... The 97-S CMM has to be a highlight piece - one that will likely not be bested for a cmm.
    Kudos to a lifelong pursuit and the patience and discipline needed to accomplishimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott - Thanks for the very kind words, and great job of putting together your barber sets. I'm a big fan of your efforts to acquire original coins, you have many I wish I owned.

My favorite of all my MS quarters, the 14-S. It has plenty of luster and light even toning.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Vern's set surely is a treat to check out with some incredible coins that are difficult if not impossible to find. It was fun taking a re-look thanks to SAM's suggestion! image

I may as well let all of you know here, I have reopened Holsonbake Numismatics and am officially back on my own. Lots of work ahead and some exciting plans to implement over the next few weeks.

I will be continuing to focus on Barbers along with other type and key date coins and look forward to the future. image

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BK, the 03-O pictured is actually half of a half. Here is 03-O Quarter.

imageimage
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Glad to have you back, Glenn.

• Options
    Glenn - I have heard nothing but great stuff about you.... Welcome back sir .. Maybe someoneimage can hunt me down the missing halves I need.. Find me a nice PCGS1905-P, 1903-O and/or 1912 in AU (or XF)image

Vern - I have never seen a 14-S Quarter that looks even remotely close to yours .. There is a 55 on Heritage closing tomorrow presently around $1500 with the BP... Looks nice, but not in the same league.. What is holding the grade down on your piece?

I did stumble upon a very nice 98-O Quarter in 58 from TNFC coins .. I couldn't click add to cart quickly enough.. Crusty old brown tone .. Saves me from bidding on the 45 on HA
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Scott - I think the grade on my 14-S is reasonable, MS-63. Also, the AU55 14-S that Heritage has, looks more appealing to me than the couple of 58's I remember for sale recently. And I look forward to seeing a pic of your 98-O in 58. Another very tough quarter.

Mike - Your 14-S, a very nice original 58, went to a fellow forum member.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- I was going by memory and thought that was the MS61 .. My mistake .. I know you had a 61 in there that looked nicer to me from the image. Was that the 97-O?
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott - That was an 09-O, and I have no idea why that isn't a 62 or 63.

-------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Right - that was the coin .. Probably because so few are graded above VG8 I would think .. One of those coins that exponentially increases in price with every point .. Just speculation. But it sure as heck didnt look 61 to me. 61 would imply hairlined or broken or subdued luster or other issues .. None of which I could see from the pix
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott - No hairlines or sig. marks, with solid underlying luster. Maybe too much toning for PCGS?????

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Sounds like a candidate for a regrade image
    imageimage
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back Glenn, a true Barber expert!! image

• Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Some of the recently acquired from last weekends Teletrade sell off .. No preview - hope the resizing is correct

1894 PCGS AU55 Quarter (Crusty toned original in golds, tans and ionized century old dirt and grime... Sharply struck)

1892-S PCGS AU53 Quarter (blood red, gold and auburn hues of baked crust over proof like glassy, lustrous, original fields - hard to capture the true look)

1894-O PCGS AU58 Half Dollar (Blazing white luster with golden rim toning)

1909 PCGS AU58 Quarter (Almost proof like in appearance with nice cameo contrast with creamy wet cement fields blending towards antique brass/copper centers on both sides)

imageimage
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Northeast Numismatics has this beauty for sale:

PCGS MS65 - Wow What a Beauty!

imageimage
  • Options
    Saved one of the better acquisitions for last - Not from Teletrade. Not sure if this will post correctly:

1898-O PCGS AU58

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott - Best for last is an understatement, great acquisition of a very tough coin.

---------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's Messydesk photomagic results of my 1892-O image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Thought I'd put up a pic just to move this thread along.

----------Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Broadstruck - Really nice 92-O, great strike.

Mike - 09-O came from a collector friend, who got it from a David Lawrence auction.

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Here is common VF20 1912P I picked up. My photo is less than desirable, but LIBERTY is all there just need a closer look. image

• Options
    If you're reading this post Steve -- Thanks for the terrific 1905-P Half . ... What a beauty and one of the centerpieces of the collection for sure...

Hard to believe the difference in looks, level of originality and difference in luster and detail when comparing so many AU55 halves side by side

Now, if you can find me a nice 03-O or 12-P with 50% of the look of that 05, I will be ecstatic.

Don't be shy fellas .. image
    imageimage
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Great 1909-O !!
    What does it grade if I might ask?
    I would say, MS64 or AU58. image
  • Options
    LP - perfect look on the '12.

Scott - Congrats on the '05

KAJ - 09-O is in PCGS-61, a cross from NGC. It is definitely better IMO.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    The mathematical mid point of 58 and 64 is 61 .. But 61 is not the "middle" of those 2 grades by any stretch ..That's the same coin we were discussing last week is it not Vern?

Although it is hard to say for sure without having the coin in hand, the discussion already took place about what would constitute a low technical grade (subdued luster, hair-lined or other technical factors) and none of the criteria existed.. Have you considered a re-grade Vern?
    imageimage
  • Options
    These came in from Scott (SAM5969) today. These are just stunningly original coins! Thanks, Scott!

• Options
    Justin - Glad you like them .. Nice additions for sure.

Those, and many more like it, were bought raw over the years (mostly sold as "XF" coins). I wouldn't dispute the 99-S or the 1900-S as being solid XF40 coins.

They sat in a Dansco until June when I sent them all in .. The only coin that was details graded was a 98-O that I was 99% certain wouldn't grade but was all of XF details so if it happened to grade would have been worth the effort and money. .All the rest graded from VF30 to AU53. Some of the better coins were:

92-S VF35 (Cuda bought); 93-S VF35; 95-O & S both VF30; 1911-D VF30; 1912-S VF25 (the only sub 30 grade except for a 14-S that came back VG) .. A few common coins came back AU (1900, 1902, etc.)

Glad you like them Enjoy!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Thanks Mike ..... Not always true .. I have some Verrrrryyy nice dipped out coins that I am sure you would love !!image
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>....I wouldn't dispute the 99-S or the 1900-S as being solid XF40 coins..... >>

Agreed, maybe if I dip it and send it back it will get a higher grade. image
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file