Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These may be too mundane for this high brow crew ... image...

but I am enjoying piecing together another set of circulated Dimes...

Some NEWPS for my cousin's 14 yr old YN... [ Now, he wants to come to Colorado Springs !! ]

Actually, the 1893-P below is for his sister. She was born in 1993 - and her Dad wanted to get her a Centennial Coin for her from 1893.
    Last year I got her an 1893-P Quarter - also in a PCGS 45 holder. [ Her brother was GREEN with envy - I think she liked the fact he was
    finally jealous of something she had...LOL, kids. ]

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    If he can tell me the significance about this date and Mint - I just may give it to him on his birthday. Otherwise, I have a
    lesser priced one picked out for him.

imageimage >>

I enjoyed seeing you piece together your Halves, the dimes are coming along beautifully. Thanks for displaying them!

Shaun
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    [
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    It's great to see this thread continuing on and on part deux!

Been buried getting ready to head to Philly but ready or not I fly out tomorrow morning. Larry won't be coming but I will be there with bells on and jet lagged likely lol.

Hope to see a lot of you there and I want to see those Barbers. Have a few nice halves I will be bringing too. image

Love looking at all the posts and photos. Thanks all for sharing. Here is a dirty old nicely detailed half just back from CAC with a greenie on it. Love them like this.

Glenn
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations are in order to JMW for his PCGS registry set award. Great collection of barber dimes Joe.

Sgt York - Perfect look in a VF.

Mike - More really nice dimes. How about finding an 09-O quarter that looks like your dime? I'll be happy to buy it from you.

Glenn - Beautiful '96.

Newp, just rec'd, NGC-35. Think it'll cross?

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern, I don't think it would be hard to get a 35 out of that coin. Although, it has about the same amount of detail as my 96-O and they gave it a 30. image
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep seeing this new Barber thread pop up, and keep checking to see what you all are collecting.

I don't post these babies much, and have other interests as well, but at last count I'm up to 35 different Quarters in Ch AU/Unc over the last decade or so, with a duplicate 1913 in AU+

Here's a special one I picked up in January from a true friend image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Todd - Excellent 03-S, another under-rated date IMO. PM sent.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LP and Mike - I tend to agree with your thinking, 30 most days, 35 on a good day.

Mike - $2500 certainly would be a fair price for a 9-O qtr that looked like your dime. If Colorado didn't want it, I'd certainly be interested. Of course the trick is to find one. The only original 45 I've seen was Dogwood's, and it was more like a 50, with too much tone for PCGS.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike

that '93 is a real beauty.

Congrats.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Mike,

I thought you were going to the show to sell inventory, not add to itimage

So is there a know overdate in the proof variety or have you found the first. The new images should tell the story.
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    Very nice dime Mike. Love the toning

Ken
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That '95 dime is probably one of the finest in existence, Mike!
    There may be others with a higher technical grade, but the eye appeal on that coin is superb.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Wow ! Great dime Mike!!
  • Options
    Mike - That '95 is stunning. Great addition.

A recent acquisition, PCGS-55.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Most recent acquisition, NGC-58.

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

Terriffic 95 Dime ... mmmmmm .... eye candy!

Vern,

Very nice 97-S ... tough coin ... very tough! Congrat's!! Nice wholesome quarter too!!

Here's my NEWP to the Quarter Harem ... I gave it a GTG thread first. It's an N58

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    A very pricey F12 93-S half last night. image

Link

Edit: I wasn't the buyer.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A very pricey F12 93-S half last night. image

Link

Edit: I wasn't the buyer. >>

Mercy sakes!
    I think that torpedos past "very pricy" and hits the moon.
    Nice fine tho, for the person doing the set in 12.

New Santa Clara show was dry for me.
    Jack Beymer was in possession of a PCGS VF30 1901-s Barber Quarter. Have no idea what the cost is, but it was nice to see one out and about in mid-grade.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>A very pricey F12 93-S half last night. image

Link

Edit: I wasn't the buyer. >>

Mercy sakes!
    I think that torpedos past "very pricy" and hits the moon.
    Nice fine tho, for the person doing the set in 12.

New Santa Clara show was dry for me.
    Jack Beymer was in possession of a PCGS VF30 1901-s Barber Quarter. Have no idea what the cost is, but it was nice to see one out and about in mid-grade. >>

Jack had my old 01-S Quarter - PCGS 55 - at ANA - Philadelphia
    and of course he extolled the virtues of the coin - however he seemed
    to change his attitude when I mentioned that I knew it was on consignment.

He then proved to me on a later transaction that he only likes his PCGS coins when
    he's selling and he pans PCGS coins when he's buying. He told me that I drank
    PCGS's KoolAid & that I should learn how to grade on my own. I sat there & listened
    to his rant for thirty seconds, excused myself, thanked him for allowing me to
    waste his time and assured him I would never bother him again. >>

Dogwood, my sentiments exactly. Talk about moon money.

Mike, I would have loved to been a fly on the wall for that convo. Very interesting.
  • Options
    Todd - As I mentioned in the other thread, I love your 94-O.

Dennis - Jack Beymer had an NGC-30 01-S, this April in Chicago. It had many light marks on the neck and light toning with spots. Is it possible that one crossed? The only PCGS-30 I've seen was one Heritage had in 2005, that had a major scratch from 8:30 to the earlobe. I've not seen it since. As you can tell, I try to keep track of 01-S's.

Mike - I've shared a similar experience. You are to be commended for your patience. Jack had just taken on your 55, 01-S in April. He told me all about it, but didn't have it with him (strange). He sent a pic the following week. He also had a 96-S in an old PCGS-40, that must have been certified when Ray Charles worked there.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold everything that wasn't nailed down - except for three PCGS Quarters on cosignment - and four NGC's - one NTC & an ANACS.
    What I didn't sell, I consigned to HA for the Dallas ANA - and I sold a bunch of 25th Anniv. ASE's - plus some odds and ends.

I bought more than I should have - but - the the Hey ! I upgraded my 1891 Nickel with a 65 - picked up a Half Dime because it was
    below bid - [ 1856 in a PC 64 holder - creamy white with die clashes galore ] [ It'll look good next to my 1856 Dime in 64 as well.]

However - the piece de la resistance is a coin that blew my mind and my coin budget ... which I picked up from David Weygant [ sic ]
    a fantastic 1895 - PCGS 64 - which has the look of a 67 !! The coin is a monster !! You'll all have to wait for the images !!

imageimage >>

That is some gorgeous rusty toning on that one, thanks for displaying!
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Nice additions Mike particularly those two AU dimes.
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Just back for a little while. WOW, I need a 94-s Quarter that looks like this! image

Craig

• Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Congrats Mike, I was an under bidder on the 01-0 half. Will be interested in seeing your oldie.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    I was surprised at how cheap the 02-S went for. The 01-S got a lot of action.

Edit: Congrats, Mike, on the upgrades.
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I ended up with the 01 dime in 58 and the 08-D half in 45. Images will be coming soon.
  • Options
    LogPotato,
    Agree...the 02-S was a very nice coin and went for cheap...congrats to the winner!

Mike, glad you were able to upgrade...there were some very desirable coins there...glad you were able to capitalize! Lots of nice coins all around!
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mike - some nice buys indeed - we had some earlier correspondence ..

Joe - Always tweaking that gorgeous dime set .. Hard to believe you can improve on any of those coins .. Perhaps just securing some goodies for safe keeping

Speaking of the Sun/Mon TT lots ..I had 12 bids in between Sunday & Monday and managed 10 of 12 auction wins. Only 1 required max bid to claim. The highlight buys (assuming the coins look somewhat like the images) were the 1894-O Half in AU58, 1893 Half AU58 CAC , 98-S Quarter AU55, 92-S Quarter in 53 .. and several other quarters in 55 or 58 (1893-O 55, 1894-P 55, 1898-S 55, 1900-S 55, 1905 58, 1907 58, 1909 58.. I targeted the coins that appeared the most PQ from their images .. There were some really nice looking toners that I bid on. I was very tempted to press for the 01-S in AU55 and the 02-S .. Couldn't spread myself that thin

Another member won an AU53 92-S Quarter for $660 2 mo. ago .. Wonder where those under bidders are? Hope this is half the coin he said his was .. we shall see ... It is always hard to tell the true look of the TT coins until you see them in hand. I don't know about you folks, but I find their imaging to be quite vague and unrevealing. I never have an issue sending them back if they are not up to snuff.

A lot of the prices were indeed soft as has been inferenced. A few possible reasons/thoughts/hypothesis..?? One of the difficulties with TT is all the bids close at 10pm EST so it's not like you can wait & see which lots you won or lost so you can push on another. You must decide in advance what you will be willing to bid. If you are on a budget or have a dedicated amount you are spending, it is impossible to "bid the next lot" .. So you are all in on the coins you bid and have to wait & see the results. I have always felt that was one inherent flaw with the system. I was tempted to bid the 01-O Half in 45 but as I have a 40 and both show similar strike weakness, I pursued other options .. The 01-0 in 45 that Dave Kahn sold a few months back may be the finest 01-O in XF/AU I have ever seen.

Other possible reasons: A lot of pieces coming to market at once, summer slow season, or a hypothesis of a possible "bubble" approaching for the AU58 graded coins being sold at 64+ money. A respected member preached prudence to me saying he has been snapping up 64's for 58 money while others are buying 58s for 643 money. We all realize most 58s are basically 64s with a trace of rub or friction .. but a 64 is a 64 with no friction and if he is able to buy them for the same money as the 58s kudos to him. It boils down to whether one is assembling EM registry sets or not. There is always the chance the bubble is nowhere near it's pinnacle. All we need is a small wave of new collectors. With pops in the 10-20 range for most grades/coins, with a little tug from the demand side into the small supply pool .. Prices have to escalate. Could go either way as I see it.

In addition to the TT wins, I managed to scoop the 10-S in PCGS AU53 from Eric Sunday night .. Hard to tell how nice the coin really is but looks very lustrous but with a lot of chatter .. The previous Heritage Auction landed me the 1913-P AU58 Quarter and just before that I upgraded my 95-P Half from 35 to 45 through JJT and the 97-S Half from 25 to 40 courtesy of all people ... Coast Coin. Of course all Coast did was win the 1897-S in the April Heritage auction for $850 and flip it to me for $1100 ... My bad for not bidding that lot... I was too busy buying an over graded 93-S half with XF45 on the plastic when it should read VF32.5 image

Here are the images of the 97-S Half and the 1913-P AU58 Quarter (PCGS images as I am revisiting my skills and engulfed in Mark's Numismatic Photography tome):

imageimage
  • Options
    Scott,
    That's a very sweet looking 97-S...would love to see more photo's...if you got if for $1100 you got a sweet deal. image
  • Options
    I'm not a big dime guy, but when I saw these two crusty VF O-mints, I had to have them.

• Options
    Nice dimes Justin, be careful though. Now that you have two the set just seems to continue growing.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WELL! I don't like how I got there but I am there!

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/publishedset.aspx?s=93006

So when are all these mega bidders gonna post there sets? I have no doubt there are at least 2 better than mine!
  • Options
    Congratulations, now it's time for some imagesimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file