Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice wide repunch on that 97-S dime. You'd think somebody would have noticed before, if it was common.

How about grading opinions on this 13-S? Bought raw in the late 90's. Been in my raw album ever since.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    CoinNewBeeCoinNewBee Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    I can't thank you enough for bringing this find to the attention of the right people for me.
    Looking for these rare varieties are what has me hooked on numismatics.

Always more to know!
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Vern, love that 13-S! F12.

Doug
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice wide repunch on that 97-S dime. You'd think somebody would have noticed before, if it was common.

How about grading opinions on this 13-S? Bought raw in the late 90's. Been in my raw album ever since.

-----------
    Vern >>

I had a one in a PCGS VG10 holder awhile back that was a bit stronger(the Liberty was just a bit stronger but the Rev was a solid 15!)....Had no problems wholesaling for F money! Did I agree with the grade? NO! I think your coin will garner a VG10 grade.
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Too nice for a 10 and not enough detail for
    a VF 20 - I'd bet it'll get into a 15 holder.
    It's got too much meat ( IMHO ) for a 12.

Nice coin !! >>

PCGS is very tough on this date...for most of us! The example I had was much more healthly toned(perfect medium gray) and had a solid 5 points on this coin! Send it in Vern! I am curious how they are grading these days!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, for their thoughts on my raw 13-S. Maybe when I'm ready to sell my raw set, I'll send it to PCGS.

For now, what do you grade my now raw 96-S? (It was in a slab when I bought it)

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    I'm on the fence on the 96-S...12-15 IMHO.
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    All 7 letters evenly plain; nice full and bold rims; full E Pluribus Unum; almost 50% eagle feathers and other details defined enough for a VF20 to me
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>All 7 letters evenly plain; nice full and bold rims; full E Pluribus Unum; almost 50% eagle feathers and other details defined enough for a VF20 to me >>

Unless I've forgotten...those are supposed to be the details of a F! image The E is cut short due to wear on the right side. They are conceding a bit on weaker struck dates though...but in those cases the rest of the coin carrys the grade. Vern has a good discussion starting here!
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    F-18. image
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very fast-selling 12.
  • Options
    [.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Once again, thanks everyone for their thoughts. I bought the 96-S years ago in a F-12 holder. I thought it way undergraded then and still do today, at least a 15, with more "Liberty" than todays' VF-20. And since I neglected to give my opinion on my 13-S, I think it is a F-12.

For something to look at today, this quarter has been in my collection longer than any other, and has never been anywhere near a grading service.

---------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Take away the toning and my God this coin to me is like a little piece of heaven:

1909-O barber quarter in PCGS MS-65

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1128&lotIdNo=91044
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely love all the Barbers on this thread -- and the keys being shown are very drool worthy! image

Love the 14-S posted by barberkeys, and feel it's a VF-25, but I wouldn't argue with VF-30. I guess, sorta splitting hairs.

Hoping to get my photo skills a bit more up to snuff, and share some nice common, but VF-AU Barber material.
    My best dates trend towards the humble low-grade range, but I still like them. And I never have managed to
    get the big three keys in Quarters! Someday. image
  • Options
    Vern-

The 1914-S has a very similar wear pattern and look of an 1895-S in a VF30 PCGS holder. Three others that I am presently looking at: A 1900-O, 07-S and 95-O quarters are all very similar in terms of wear, tonality and surface quality (especially the 95-S and 07-S).

The difference between VF (20/25) and choice VF (30/35) are typically a few criteria: Full upper band on Liberty as a min VF30 criteria; more than 50% feather detail - all 7 letters Bold on Liberty, some forehead hair and/or other details remaining - At least 50% of all original detail boldly defined. etc ..

I think the 14-S is a solid VF-25

Getting back to the difference between F and VF - VF is described as all 7 letters evenly plain // F is all 7 letters mostly visible with some weakness or even partial letters on the BER .. Choice F (15) having more detail and 6+ letters full .. The 13-S is a strong 15 or a borderline 20 in retrospect in my opinion (drawn from a lone photo)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Wow, Vern, you are sharing some killer coins and it is much appreciated. I love seeing VF keys!

Originalisbest - Share away. We love them in all grades in here. At least I do! Look forward to seeing them.

• Options
    Vern,

Great photos of your raw 14-S and F12 13-S. Your 14-S is at least a VF30 with a shot at VF35 the way pcgs has been grading recently.

Doug
  • Options
    NEWP - Ex MFH from Heritage. My pics aren't too great. I'm in the middle of moving, so you get the iPhone/couch arm/floor lamp effect. image

• Options

<< <i>Looks like that 14-S is a rock solid 20.... >>

Dang Mike! LOL...I give that one a 35! image
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought I should add my type example to this thread!

CAC beaned - obverse is more lightly toned than the slab photo depicts.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Nice quarter Catbert, thanks for sharing.

Doug
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Nice 1907!
  • Options
    Justin - Nice original 10-S.

Catbert - I love those barber quarters. You must have quite the type set.

Tonight for those who care to indulge, guess the grade.

-------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a WAG at AU55 on that 93S quarter.....
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Looks like WG is on the money - in the 55/58 range - hard to tell without coin in hand when it comes to AU/MS grades - Looks like it could easily be 58 with the originality, gorgeous tone and dripping luster just the same

Was just looking closely at some of my recently acquired coins ... An 1893 Half in 58 CAC is without doubt the FS-801 TDR variety .. Just have to send it in for attribution. Not sure I am talented enough to capture the tripling by camera; I will try in the near future. It is very similar to the 92-TDR FS-801 I have in 58. Same effect on the reverse lettering - US of A .. Can't really see the tripling in the 13 stars on the reverse like you can on the 92. As an aside, if there was a candidate for a possible 58+ grade, the 1892 TDR coin would be that candidate. Absolutely smooth surfaces with 65 luster - Zero circulation marks on the obverse and reverse fields and nary a hairline to be found. 100% original. Looks 100% MS to me .. Would love a 2nd opinion, in hand some day from one of our finest experts. Mesmerizing quality (the antithesis of these pictures)

imageimage
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Great images Scott, and Vern I don't know where you keeping finding the coins you post. Nice work guys.

Here are a couple of dime upgrades I just added. The 03-O is a PCGS 55 and the 15-S is a CAC PCGS 58.
    Still hunting for that AU 97-O in AU

• Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice newps, JMW.....
    I have found that 97O dime to be quite scarce even in the mid circ grades, much more so than the 97S dime.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    NEWP/ upgrade for the Mint Set.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Vern, that is one sweet 93-S!

And, Scott, that is a killer 93!

KAJ1, nice MS! Really going to be spending some cheese now.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Scott - Your '93 looks MS to me. How high is difficult to say from pics.

Joe - Nice upgrades to your stellar dime set.

KAJ - Mint set? An 1899 mint set?

Justin - Nice original 98-S. I second Mike, a very tough, under-rated date.

The answer to my 1893-S guess the grade (looks like a 55 to me):

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>KAJ - Mint set? An 1899 mint set? >>

Yup!

link
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    AU50 is an absurd grade for that coin.

I took a chance on this half this weekend on the bay. One of my favorite date/mm. Seller images.

• Options
    Everyone seems to enjoy the guess the grade....I do too! So! Here are 3 I got back from a nice submission! I'll post the grades after enough of you guys guess the grade! image

Edit...well! I tried to attach pictures....seems they are not uploading after resizing them 2 times to get them in my files....any suggestions...or maybe I need to try later....RATS!
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike....I am just not one to do the facebook,twitter,photobucket thing. I just tried again...is PCGS having problems? I resized 3 times on some of them so they would meet PCGS's requirements....they are in my PCGS files...but won't upload! Any other suggestions? image

<< <i>Darrell,

As you are having problems attaching images ( been there, done that )
    open up a free PhotoBucket account. Believe me, if I can do it anyone
    can do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To all Quarter Collectors...

Check out DLRC's latest 1896-S Quarter
    PCGS - AU 58..... Sweet !!!!

It's at $5250 min bid now & it has not hit reserve.
    LOL, I am high bidder at the moment... >>

• Options
    Here are Darrell's halves. Nice coins! Guess the grades.

• Options
    I'll take first WAG. Don't be offended if I'm way off. image

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭
    Nice Barbs, amwldcoin!

I'll guess;

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll take first WAG. Don't be offended if I'm way off. image

45 >>

Thanks for posting the pictures Justin! I am not giving any clues until most who participate guess! I would like everyone to grade based on my pictures....not what they think it might grade! Call this my photography test for me!
  • Options
    I agree with logpotato, but I'll change my guesses slightly because of some of the odd grades I've seen lately.

1900 AU53
    1901-O VF35
    1903-O XF40

Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file