Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice '99S, tough date there.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    Log.. nice 99-S.
    While on the 99-S..
    I don't get that coin. Only 89 have been graded by PCGS in ALL grades.
    Mintage of 708,000. Yet still on the cheap side ..
    Debate?..
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more.. It's a steal at $110 or whatever I priced it at; especially virgin original .. But it landed with someone who appreciates it for what it is. When I hit that submission back it was pop 1 in 35 with 69 finer. Hard to believe. They're all over in the phillippines.. Seems one of the most under rated dates of the series for sure to me
    imageimage
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    I think being associated with the Philippine hoards is one reason why it might not get much attention. I'll be honest, I didn't know much about the date until I purchased it. When I saw the pop numbers and the mintage, I was a bit shocked.
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Log.. nice 99-S.
    While on the 99-S..
    I don't get that coin. Only 89 have been graded by PCGS in ALL grades.
    Mintage of 708,000. Yet still on the cheap side ..
    Debate?.. >>

The 99-S quarter is an enigma. In mid circulated grades (F-XF) I find it to be very scarce, probably R4+. PCGS has graded only 13 coins in the VF20-XF45 range.
    In uncirculated condition it's a known rarity, with only 32 coins graded. The anomaly occurs in AU condition where the 99-S is regularly available. Here are the current PCGS AU population #'s for
    other scarce S mint quarters of the same era:

95-S - 29
    97-S - 22
    98-S - 28
    99-S - 32

A few weeks ago there were six certified (NGC and PCGS) AU 99-S quarters being auctioned at the same time. As others have suggested, I think the answer lies with the known Philippine hoards.
    Most Philippine hoard quarters seem to have been cleaned or abused, so finding a choice original AU coin is still quite a challenge.

Doug
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug:

IMHO I suggest anyone interested in AU's of the S mints that you mentioned, buy at any reasonable price - especially, AU 58's.

...Need a better image with CAC sticker

• Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold everything that wasn't nailed down - except for three PCGS Quarters on cosignment - and four NGC's - one NTC & an ANACS.
    What I didn't sell, I consigned to HA for the Dallas ANA - and I sold a bunch of 25th Anniv. ASE's - plus some odds and ends.

I bought more than I should have - but - the the Hey ! I upgraded my 1891 Nickel with a 65 - picked up a Half Dime because it was
    below bid - [ 1856 in a PC 64 holder - creamy white with die clashes galore ] [ It'll look good next to my 1856 Dime in 64 as well.]

However - the piece de la resistance is a coin that blew my mind and my coin budget ... which I picked up from David Weygant [ sic ]
    a fantastic 1895 - PCGS 64 - which has the look of a 67 !! The coin is a monster !! You'll all have to wait for the images !!

imageimage >>

Wow, Mike! Some really nice stuff in this thread! I really like this one and your 1909 50c in MS64. Very pretty!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Sorry old buddy ...not for sale. However, I look forward to a visit next month. Attached is an old friend!

imageimageimage

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott - Haven't considered sending the MS-61 09-O in for upgrade. Maybe, someday.

Craig - Love those 09-O's. And all those tough 'S' mints.

Newp, only one from show attended yesterday. A higher grade than I normally go after. PCGS-64+.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Impossible to get tired of seeing that amazing 95 Dime Mike

More 09-O Quarters posted here than I have seen in my lifetime - Amazing example Craig

Vern that 15 Quarter is just 1 more trophy for the shelf - astonishing example.

My contribution of a 98-S AU Quarter - a crusty AU with gold/olive tone. Poor quality picture

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. Been up in Oregon for the past week for my dad's 81st birthday.

He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer almost 2 years to the day and is still with us and doing pretty well, and cancer free so far. We feel very blessed and fortunate he is with us today.
    It's been great to see the family.

Awesome 1895 dime and 09-O quarter photos. Great to see the mega-thread 2 alive and well. Lots of work ahead getting the website current and up to date. Excited though and it feels great to be back with energy and some fresh ideas!

Will be transitioning back up to Folsom over the next couple of weeks, getting set up, and building up the websites. Lots of fun getting back in the saddle! image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    I got this from Teletrade.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nice pick up .. image

Forum was just discussing the anomaly that the 99-S is .. available in AU but not in any other grade ... If Iremember correctly TT had a 53, 55 and 58 all running simultaneously?

I was actually the under bidder on the TT AU55 and 58 and the under bidder on the 99-O in 58 on eBay a few weeks back .. Although I did manage to pick up quite a few of the other AU quarters from that auction. Also secured the 1913-P in 58 from Heritage and found a dusty 98-O in 58 from NFC Coinsimage
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>If I remember correctly TT had a 53, 55 and 58 all running simultaneously? >>

Yup, I won the 53 and 55.
    I now own 3. A 45, 53 and 55!
  • Options
    I got this one from Mike !
    Trying new things with the Canon, but I still need help!!
    imageimage

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question for the Barber team, and I will apologize upfront for not having any pics yet from the group of halves just acquired image,
    One of the coins was a 1910P in ~VF25ish......I realized that after roughly 4 years of acquiring B-halves, this is probably the first 10P
    I've ever purchased. Of course though, I may have overlooked some previously, as it was not prominently on my radar, like the 05O and others are.....
    is it really that scarce in the upper circ grades?
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Hi WG21D-
    My opinion on the 10-P would be that it has always been considered a better date (being the 4th lowest mintage of the series) or even a semi-key, yet I seem to recall several certified VF and AU coins having been auctioned in the past year or so .. The 1910 example I have (PCGS AU55) was acquired raw about 2 years ago and was graded in January. It may just be a coincidence that several have come to auction the past year .. They still auction at "better date" money so that should be evidence itself.

Regardless, I would still say it is a scarce date; maybe just a tad over rated (but it is all relative). All just my opinion/observance

Scott
    imageimage
  • Options
    Greg, I bought one earlier in the year from Teletrade. When I sold most of my Barbers, it went too. I have seen the same coin again since. I have seen another two in VF since I sold as well. Including one currently at Heritage. I believe I read before that the 10P was scarcer in F/VF and got a a bit more abundant as the grade went up. I really don't pay attention to coins in XF or higher so I cannot agree or disagree with that statement.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

<< <i>They still auction at "better date" money so that should be evidence itself. >>

Well, I admit I did have to pay full VF Greysheet Ask for it......image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Kevin:

This is an old friend of mine. Perhaps these images will help. image

Forgot to note that this is Kevin's coin.

• Options
    Kevin & Craig - nice 92-O.

Guess the grade:

----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern:

This looks to be about a VF-20 on the obverse but a VF-30 reverse so let's call it a VF-25. It is a real nice 01-O,clean and original.

Congrats!

• Options
    I believe it is a VF30. I think the O mint strike plays into this one.
  • Options
    Vern: I think you will find it to be a higher grade .. agree or not .. I think that is "called" 45. Not saying that is my opinion of it but that is what PCGS will grade it .. My personal opinion is 35 with the full wing tips and nearly complete bands .. Just weakly struck
    Scott
    imageimage
  • Options
    I would agree with VF35, shot XF40 on that 01-O.....looks to be traces of luster scattered about.
    Very nice looking coin, and very tough, as I'm sure you know!

• Options
    Since the last few coins have been O mints, I will post one I recently bought. Yes, another lowly VF from Loggie. image

• Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Vern,

You'll have to pardon us ol' Folks who called that 01-O a Vf25...
    But the newer guys I think have nailed it - it's an XF 40 - and the
    Reverse looks closer to 45.

Nice coin !! >>

I concurr! No question 40+ with luster...show me a 1/2 in 40 with that look!
  • Options
    Gradeflation has taken over. I'd be willing to bet Tom Bush calls it a 25. Obverse is still the majority of the grade; reverse is easier to grade with the wings and other feather detail. But there's little forehead hair and the lower band isn't full. Go back and compare to the 35s I just sold... Almost identical particularly the color and luster of the 99-S Justin bought
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks to all for their opinions, a very tough coin to grade, and an even tougher one to find. My guess was 45, based on look, not definition. Here's PCGS's opinion.

-----------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    My opinion is never going to be valued as PCGS's but I would never grade that coin as an AU-50. It looks like a VF-35 and even if the weak strike is not penalized, it still looks like a stretch to call it an XF-40. Lately it seems like a number of PCGS Barbers are over-graded or I missed a memo explaining what has changed.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a classic grading exercise right there.
    Coin in hand.
    Thought it showed luster and was a 45 in the pics. The nearly Flat D in dollar is a fun piece of janky die state.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Craig,
    Much better!
    Thanks.
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Vern,

Thanks for posting my new 01-O quarter and thanks to everyone for their guesses. I tend to agree with the XF45 crowd. When you take the poor strike into account, based on the luster
    and the "look" of the coin, I think it deserves a grade of XF45. I can't wait to get the coin in hand and see if there's something the photos don't show that might warrant the AU50 grade.

Doug
  • Options
    All I can say is WOW. I think I'll start another Barber Quarter collection by hunting only "raws" and pretend it is pre - plastic. PCGS would throw my butt out the door if I were a grader today. It is interesting to see the BCCS grading pages as compared to PCGS.

• Options
    Local coin show pick-up.

• Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Justin - Great look on the '02.

Here are pics of Walt's AU-58, 96-S. Hadn't seen it before. Great job Walt.

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Anybody know the whereabouts of this coin?

------------
    Vern
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking '96 S, I'd love to have it.

That '31 S is a looker also.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Here's one that SAM5969 might remember. image

• Options
    CoinNewBeeCoinNewBee Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    Found this 1897-S Barber dime that has a large S struck over a small S.
    Mike tells me that the small S is probably the S from a Barber quarter mistakenly used with this die. The mistake was corrected by over striking with the correct Large S for the barber dime.

Thought you might like seeing this.

Always more to know!
  • Options

Always more to know!
  • Options

Always more to know!
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file